Was John The Baptist Able To Circumcise Hearts?

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
You are; “a man after my own heart”. I avoid commentaries and religious books all I can and only read them because someone I am studying with wants my opinion. The author is usually dead and if alive will not address my questions (which I really try to politely ask.) We have the indwelling Holy Spirit, can receive wisdom through pray believing we will get it and can control our motive for wanting to know.

Your question: Was John The Baptist Able To Circumcise Hearts?

Romans 2:29 No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person’s praise is not from other people, but from God.

This verse is in the context of: Ro. 2: 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Here we have the law written on stone for those outwardly circumcised being contrasted with the law written on the heart (our conscience) and the heart being circumcised.

The knowledge of good and evil was pasted down to all mature adults through our consciences/heart. For a while at least, it hurts and burdens us to hurt or not help others. Our nature does not have to change from the nature Adam and Eve had prior to sinning, for us to be burden by our sinning.

John the Baptist was a messenger and not the Spirit which can circumcise our hearts. It appears from Ro. 2 Paul is saying those who are obeying the law written on their heart circumcised hearts which is much more important than physical circumcision.

God saves people by judging their hearts, so do not try to limit salvation or God, to some written plan people are to follow.

Ephesians 3:6 This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 1:27 To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Colossians 2:2…, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,

Ro. 11: 22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off. 23 And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 After all, if you were cut out of an olive tree that is wild by nature, and contrary to nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree, how much more readily will these, the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree!

The Spirit does stuff which can soften one person’s heart and harden another person’s heart, but that depends on how the person has prepared their own hearts. So did the Spirit harden a person’s heart by doing what He did?

I do not have time to address everything you said, but I do want to spend some time on “repentance”.

I agree that the ability to repent is a gift from God, but it is a gift all mature adults have been given, but it is not equating repentance with turn from sinning to not sinning, but repentance can be just turning from what you were doing to doing something else. Let’s, look at the prodigal son: he was not given direction to change from some outside source (the father did not send servants to him), put on his own came to his senses. He realized where he got himself and where he was going if he did not change. This is his choice: be macho, hang-in there, do not pester his father further with undeserving requests, avoid fueling his brother’s anger, maintain his false pride and take the punishment he fully deserves or he can wimp-out, give up on self and just be willing to humbly accept pure undeserved charity from his father. For selfish reason (thus a sinful reason), he turns to his father (repents). This turning to the father allows the father to shower the son with unbelievable wonderful gifts.

Our “repentance” is similar, we are the sinful criminal holding a child of God away from God and his home in the Kingdom. We can repent of being a kidnapper of God’s child, by just accepting a huge ransom payment (Jesus Christ and him crucified) and thus allowing the child to go free, but that does not mean we did something worthy of the payment. The child of God, which is the former sinful kidnapper, is showered with unbelievable wonderful gifts, but that comes after the kidnapper’s choice.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟109,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello sir,

What do I mean about Circumcised hearts? Well, I'm not sure how to answer that. I would have to ask in return this question: Are you familiar with the Covenant of Circumcision? I ask because it is the very backbone of the entire Bible. This would be the best place to start in terms of answering your question and can go from there.
Very familiar with the idea of physical circumcision and the biblical sense of being spiritually circumcised by identification with Christ. We are able to put off the old Man by taking advantage of the Gift of Christ, which is his spiritual life. None of this remotely sounds like something John the Baptist did.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All ideas are welcome. All Faiths are encouraged to participate. What is not accepted is fighting, bickering, and arguing. Christians do not do that . . . at all.

Let’s go!

Some interesting things were said about John. Such as he arrived with the spirit and POWER of Elijah. John would cause the hearts of fathers to their sons and the hearts of their sons to their fathers. It was said that John would prepare the way for Jesus. Those who received the Baptism of John recognized Christ as, at a minimum, their Earthly king. Those who rejected John’s Baptism did not believe. Jesus said it Himself that no human is greater than His cousin, John the Baptist. Jesus also positioned the question of whether or not John’s Baptism was from Heaven, or if it was just from this world.

Based upon the imagery and language applied to John and his water Baptism, it seems that quite a load and heavy responsibility was placed upon his shoulders to reach tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of Jews (and perhaps a few Gentiles), before Jesus’s death.
Those who came to John in the wilderness for baptism were receiving forgiveness of sins because they were trusting in God's promise of the Messiah (Jesus). They received water baptism as a sign of their repentance and their faith in God's promised Anointed One to come.

Same is true today ... baptism is to be a outward sign of a inward change occuring.

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Very familiar with the idea of physical circumcision and the biblical sense of being spiritually circumcised by identification with Christ. We are able to put off the old Man by taking advantage of the Gift of Christ, which is his spiritual life. None of this remotely sounds like something John the Baptist did.
Thank you for your kind patience. I really appreciate it.

I think that it would be wise for us to make sure that we have the same idea of Spiritual Circumcision. After years of scouring each Word of the Bible, multiple times, for anything relating to this topic, the Bible seems clear that the core of Spiritual Circumcision is releasing a person's heart, or soul, from the captivity of the Devil. In other words, this is the act that grants Spiritual eyes to begin seeing, Spiritual ears to begin hearing, and Spiritual legs to begin walking the Life of Christ. A person is not free until the locks are broken. There are many ways the Bible describes this process, which is incredible in itself, so know that I am not limiting Spiritual Circumcision to these two examples of explanation. There could be a solid dozen examples of how the Lord explains this remarkable process.

So . . . John the Baptist. In light of all the evidence that I intially posted, they are the reasons for why I believe the Bible, and Jesus, makes a pretty big deal out of John. Thus, in light of the evidence that I initially posted, do you see how a person might conclude that John was given the Power to separate a person from their relationship with Satan? After all, we saw Jesus give His Disciples this Power, the same Power that John arrived with, along with the Spirit of Elijah (who parted the Jordan River).

Luke 10:17-20 NLT - "When the seventy-two disciples returned, they joyfully reported to him, "Lord, even the demons obey us when we use your name!" 18 "Yes," he told them, "I saw Satan fall from heaven like lightning! 19 Look, I have given you authority over all the power of the enemy, and you can walk among snakes and scorpions and crush them. Nothing will injure you. 20 But don't rejoice because evil spirits obey you; rejoice because your names are registered in heaven."

Do you see what I'm saying? It might be best to eliminate all that you've been previously taught, and just consider what I have offer today in this post, and the evidence within the first.

Cheers to you, Brother.

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Those who came to John in the wilderness for baptism were receiving forgiveness of sins because they were trusting in God's promise of the Messiah (Jesus). They received water baptism as a sign of their repentance and their faith in God's promised Anointed One to come.

Same is true today ... baptism is to be a outward sign of a inward change occuring.
Yes, but so far, no one has even mentioned the evidence I have offered in the opening post. I suggest that it be done. :)

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Try not to focus or get stuck too much on just the word circumcision
That would be impossible. :D

I believe that God uses that most Holy Word to hide His Gospel, Saving Plan, from nearly all people, both from yesterday and today. Few understand the Gospel because the Lord's Children are steered away from Spiritual Circumcision (nice work, Satan). This is how it has always been since the Serpent lied to Eve.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Mine for you, would be to begin a two-year study on Spiritual Circumcision. The Bible will never be the same when you are done.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟109,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for your kind patience. I really appreciate it.

I think that it would be wise for us to make sure that we have the same idea of Spiritual Circumcision. After years of scouring each Word of the Bible, multiple times, for anything relating to this topic, the Bible seems clear that the core of Spiritual Circumcision is releasing a person's heart, or soul, from the captivity of the Devil. In other words, this is the act that grants Spiritual eyes to begin seeing, Spiritual ears to begin hearing, and Spiritual legs to begin walking the Life of Christ. A person is not free until the locks are broken. There are many ways the Bible describes this process, which is incredible in itself, so know that I am not limiting Spiritual Circumcision to these two examples of explanation. There could be a solid dozen examples of how the Lord explains this remarkable process.
This "process" is one thing, and the name "Spiritual Circumcision" is another. I think the name calls attention to the process, and not the other way around. Indeed, to be spiritually circumcised is very important. It's the equivalent of saying we need to be sanctified, and remain sanctified.

I don't mean to get too far into this, but let's just say I was a sexual pervert as an unbeliever. And then my conscience was touched by the Word of God, and a Christian testimonial led me to repent of my sin. I cast myself on the Lord's mercy, and He changed me, or at least began the process of my learning to change. In effect I stopped being a sexual pervert. I call that "Spiritual Circumcision."
So . . . John the Baptist. In light of all the evidence that I intially posted, they are the reasons for why I believe the Bible, and Jesus, makes a pretty big deal out of John. Thus, in light of the evidence that I initially posted, do you see how a person might conclude that John was given the Power to separate a person from their relationship with Satan? After all, we saw Jesus give His Disciples this Power, the same Power that John arrived with, along with the Spirit of Elijah (who parted the Jordan River).
Yes, although I don't understand why with you the focus comes to be specifically on John the Baptist? All ministers of God's Word have the ability to bind and to loose, with respect to the bondage of sin. John played his role in preparing Israel for Christ. We have our own roles in bringing light to our generation.
Cheers to you, Brother.
Cheers. Are you English? That greeting is something I'm used to, having an English wife. :)
Also, are you from Leavenworth, WA? I'm from W. WA, and have friends who live there. Well, Peshastin is not far away from there.

Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟35,137.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
All ideas are welcome. All Faiths are encouraged to participate. What is not accepted is fighting, bickering, and arguing. Christians do not do that . . . at all.

Let’s go!

Some interesting things were said about John. Such as he arrived with the spirit and POWER of Elijah. John would cause the hearts of fathers to their sons and the hearts of their sons to their fathers. It was said that John would prepare the way for Jesus. Those who received the Baptism of John recognized Christ as, at a minimum, their Earthly king. Those who rejected John’s Baptism did not believe. Jesus said it Himself that no human is greater than His cousin, John the Baptist. Jesus also positioned the question of whether or not John’s Baptism was from Heaven, or if it was just from this world.

Based upon the imagery and language applied to John and his water Baptism, it seems that quite a load and heavy responsibility was placed upon his shoulders to reach tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of Jews (and perhaps a few Gentiles), before Jesus’s death.
Hey there 2Tim:wave:

Hope it is well with your soul.

Was John the Baptist Able To Circumcise Hearts?

I don’t think that it was John that was circumcising the heart, that is Gods prerogative… I would say that He was set apart from birth, filled with the Holy Spirit even before he was born and through his witness he …”cut straight to the heart of the matter”:prayer:

His father (Zechariah) prophetic words concerning Him. And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High; for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him, to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins, because of the tender mercy of our God, by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace.”

John had this in common with Elijah, they both were called to turn the hearts of the children to the father and father to the children as you pointed out. Elijah had to witness to a wicked king and nation, that they were to serve God only, not Baal. He had to witness to the true God.

1 Kings 18:21“How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him.”

John 1:34-38 I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God. ”The next day John was there again with two of his disciples. When he saw Jesus walking by, he said, “Look, the Lamb of God!” And when the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus.

1 Kings 18:24Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord. The god who answers by fire—he is God.”

Matthew 3:11“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Circumcision was always about trust in the One true God, the God Most High, believing that He would keep His promises. The sign of this covenant was given to Abraham and his offspring. The covenant promises ; He will bless him, give him a name, a true heir (descendants) and land. . All this had to be received by faith and trust in this one true God. Any action on Abrahams part was based on this trust in God.

Reactions: Oneofhope
Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
In effect I stopped being a sexual pervert. I call that "Spiritual Circumcision."
Hola! I think that you said it yourself above, which is that your turning from the ever-so-common sexual addiction, is the Effect of Circumcision. One of the primary Purposes of Christ (according to Scripture, not myself) is to set free those who are under the captivity of the Devil. This would be Circumcision of heart. Being set free from the Devil's control is the Effect. This means, change of behavior.

Ezekiel 11:19-20 and Ezekiel 36:25-27 show us what this process looks like. I would say, that what happened to you, Randy, is what is expressed below. How amazing!

Ezekiel 36:25-27 KJV - "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them]."

These verses above describe, exactly, what happened to you. My friend, these are the Promises and Blessings that were already given to Abraham, which is why he and Sarah are our Mother and Father of Faith. And these are the Promises and Blessings to be given to his offspring, which happen to be both Jews and Gentiles.

Do you relate to the Ezekiel passages above? Ezekiel 11:19-20 is nearly identical to Eze 36:25-27, but the latter of the two gives additional details to the steps taken in the life of a new believer. These passages are absolute keystone passages of the entire Bible. They put the Bible into context.

You wrote:
"Yes, although I don't understand why with you the focus comes to be specifically on John the Baptist?"

My answer, and I'm not trying to be a smarty, but this is just what the thread is about. I posted all of the criteria needed for others to see what I why I am suggesting what I am suggesting, but other than one or two comments from others, they seem to be irrelevant to the conversation, yet they are to be the centerpiece of this entire thread. So that, is what confuses me.

No. I'm not English. I just try to use words and phrases that bring peace to the readers. There is typically so much aggression in christian forums that I work hard to be the opposite. :)

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Hey there 2Tim:wave:

Hope it is well with your soul.

Was John the Baptist Able To Circumcise Hearts?

I don’t think that it was John that was circumcising the heart, that is Gods prerogative… I would say that He was set apart from birth, filled with the Holy Spirit even before he was born and through his witness he …”cut straight to the heart of the matter”:prayer:

His father (Zechariah) prophetic words concerning Him. And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High; for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him, to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins, because of the tender mercy of our God, by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace.”

John had this in common with Elijah, they both were called to turn the hearts of the children to the father and father to the children as you pointed out. Elijah had to witness to a wicked king and nation, that they were to serve God only, not Baal. He had to witness to the true God.

1 Kings 18:21“How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him.”

John 1:34-38 I have seen and testified that this is the Son of God. ”The next day John was there again with two of his disciples. When he saw Jesus walking by, he said, “Look, the Lamb of God!” And when the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus.

1 Kings 18:24Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord. The god who answers by fire—he is God.”

Matthew 3:11“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Circumcision was always about trust in the One true God, the God Most High, believing that He would keep His promises. The sign of this covenant was given to Abraham and his offspring. The covenant promises ; He will bless him, give him a name, a true heir (descendants) and land. . All this had to be received by faith and trust in this one true God. Any action on Abrahams part was based on this trust in God.

Hello to the Rose Bud!

Just so you know, I read your post twice. What if John, who arrives with the spirit and Power of Elijah, received what Jesus gave to his 72 Disciples?

Luke 10:17-19 NLT - "When the seventy-two disciples returned, they joyfully reported to him, "Lord, even the demons obey us when we use your name!" "Yes," he told them, "I saw Satan fall from heaven like lightning! Look, I have given you authority over all the power of the enemy, and you can walk among snakes and scorpions and crush them. Nothing will injure you."

I am offering the idea that anyone who can exorcise a demon from a person has, in effect, terminated their former relationship with the Devil. This would possibly, and I say possibly, equate to Circumcision of heart, the cutting away of the Sinful Nature.

Based on this one piece of evidence, does the idea at least make a little sense? Adding the other Scriptures that use Eternal words and phrases to the scenario only strengthens this likely possibility.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟109,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hola! I think that you said it yourself above, which is that your turning from the ever-so-common sexual addiction, is the Effect of Circumcision. One of the primary Purposes of Christ (according to Scripture, not myself) is to set free those who are under the captivity of the Devil. This would be Circumcision of heart. Being set free from the Devil's control is the Effect. This means, change of behavior.

Ezekiel 11:19-20 and Ezekiel 36:25-27 show us what this process looks like. I would say, that what happened to you, Randy, is what is expressed below. How amazing!

Ezekiel 36:25-27 KJV - "Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them]."

These verses above describe, exactly, what happened to you. My friend, these are the Promises and Blessings that were already given to Abraham, which is why he and Sarah are our Mother and Father of Faith. And these are the Promises and Blessings to be given to his offspring, which happen to be both Jews and Gentiles.

Do you relate to the Ezekiel passages above? Ezekiel 11:19-20 is nearly identical to Eze 36:25-27, but the latter of the two gives additional details to the steps taken in the life of a new believer. These passages are absolute keystone passages of the entire Bible. They put the Bible into context.

You wrote:
"Yes, although I don't understand why with you the focus comes to be specifically on John the Baptist?"

My answer, and I'm not trying to be a smarty, but this is just what the thread is about. I posted all of the criteria needed for others to see what I why I am suggesting what I am suggesting, but other than one or two comments from others, they seem to be irrelevant to the conversation, yet they are to be the centerpiece of this entire thread. So that, is what confuses me.

No. I'm not English. I just try to use words and phrases that bring peace to the readers. There is typically so much aggression in christian forums that I work hard to be the opposite. :)
Well, I commend you for being agreeable. Yes, it is hard to come by sometimes.

However, let me just make this perfectly clear: I was not giving you my personal testimony above. Rather, I was giving you a hypothetical situation, in which a sexual pervert converts to righteousness. Obviously, I'm giving you an example, linking that to physical circumcision, which seems intended, by God, to be a reminder to the Hebrews not to commit adultery, and not to fornicate with pagans. :)

I was probably no more perverted than the next guy in the few years that I walked in the world. And I probably have the same kind of temptations as other guys. But let me assure you--I believe in spiritual circumcision! :)

Thanks for your comments.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Well, I commend you for being agreeable. Yes, it is hard to come by sometimes.

However, let me just make this perfectly clear: I was not giving you my personal testimony above. Rather, I was giving you a hypothetical situation, in which a sexual pervert converts to righteousness. Obviously, I'm giving you an example, linking that to physical circumcision, which seems intended, by God, to be a reminder to the Hebrews not to commit adultery, and not to fornicate with pagans. :)

I was probably no more perverted than the next guy in the few years that I walked in the world. And I probably have the same kind of temptations as other guys. But let me assure you--I believe in spiritual circumcision! :)

Thanks for your comments.
It is indeed refreshing to find someone that I can actually hold a conversation with, and not let it get heated. As time moves onward, this is going to be the norm for the threads I post. The way we have communicated demonstrates that perhaps we are on the true and proper path of Godly Love.

Respect

Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟35,137.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hello to the Rose Bud!

Just so you know, I read your post twice. What if John, who arrives with the spirit and Power of Elijah, received what Jesus gave to his 72 Disciples?

Luke 10:17-19 NLT - "When the seventy-two disciples returned, they joyfully reported to him, "Lord, even the demons obey us when we use your name!" "Yes," he told them, "I saw Satan fall from heaven like lightning! Look, I have given you authority over all the power of the enemy, and you can walk among snakes and scorpions and crush them. Nothing will injure you."

I am offering the idea that anyone who can exorcise a demon from a person has, in effect, terminated their former relationship with the Devil. This would possibly, and I say possibly, equate to Circumcision of heart, the cutting away of the Sinful Nature.

Based on this one piece of evidence, does the idea at least make a little sense? Adding the other Scriptures that use Eternal words and phrases to the scenario only strengthens this likely possibility.
:wave:
Hope all is well with you.

I understand John to be empowered by the same Holy Spirit (there is only One Spirit) not a different kind for different people, although I think the parallels of the 72 is more similar to the Spirit that was on the elders in Numbers ... and Jesus a type of Moses.
So Moses went out and told the people what the Lord had said. He brought together seventy of their elders and had them stand around the tent.
Numbers 11:25-27 Then the Lord came down in the cloud and spoke with him, and he took some of the power of the Spirit that was on him and put it on the seventy elders. When the Spirit rested on them, they prophesied—but did not do so again.
However, two men, whose names were Eldad and Medad, had remained in the camp. They were listed among the elders, but did not go out to the tent. Yet the Spirit also rested on them, and they prophesied in the camp. A young man ran and told Moses, “Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp.”

I'm reminded of this passage as it pertains to casting out demons.
Matthew 7: 21-23 Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

• Winner
Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
:wave:
Hope all is well with you.
Thank you so much! I have enjoyed this group of threaders. :)

I love the fact that you referenced the story of Moses, Eldad, Medad, and the Spirit of God. It seems that that story is one of deep significance and I reference it often, too.

I'm going to rework a summary of the reasons for why I put this thread together. I am strongly convicted that they ought be considered by everyone. Have a great morning!

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
John will arrive with the spirit and Power of Elijah. What is this Power?

John will prepare the way (for Jesus). Why will a large group of Jews all of a sudden begin to listen to John, when the Prophets before him were ignored and killed?

John will change the hearts of fathers to their sons and the hearts of their sons to their fathers. How can John cause hearts to change?
**Luke 1:17 NLT – “He will be a man with the spirit and power of Elijah. He will prepare the people for the coming of the Lord. He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and he will cause those who are rebellious to accept the wisdom of the godly."

Those who received the Baptism of John recognized Christ as, at a minimum, their Earthly king.

Those who rejected John’s Baptism did not believe. This is rather odd language, is it not? Think about it . . . “Those who received John’s Baptism,” and “Those who rejected John’s Baptism . . .”
**Luke 7:29-30 NLT – “When they heard this, all the people--even the tax collectors--agreed that God's way was right, for they had been baptized by John. But the Pharisees and experts in religious law rejected God's plan for them, for they had refused John's baptism.

Jesus said it Himself that no human is greater than His cousin, John the Baptist. Why is that? Could this be because he arrived as Elijah in the body of John the Baptist? Is it because he was given certain Power to do things that no one had done before him, other than the Father, Son, or Spirit? Whatever it is about John, it is incredibly significant and is likely to do with this Power that was, according to Scripture, within him.
**Matthew 11:11 NLT - "I tell you the truth, of all who have ever lived, none is greater than John the Baptist. Yet even the least person in the Kingdom of Heaven is greater than he is!”

Jesus Himself positioned the question of whether or not John’s Baptism was from Heaven, or if it was just from this world. Well, this is incredible. We find Jesus pushing the very idea that I am pushing, which is . . . what is up with this fellow named John and his water Baptism? More than this, if John's Baptism was a simple dunking of water, of what need is authority for that?
**Matthew 21:25 NLT – “Did John's authority to baptize come from heaven, or was it merely human?" They talked it over among themselves. "If we say it was from heaven, he will ask us why we didn't believe John.”

Summary:

The bottom line is that it doesn’t matter what translation we use, the language is consistently unique to God and His Power / Plan. Think about it: If we didn’t include the names of people above and only gave generalized ideas, who would we think we were talking about? That’s right . . . Jesus. The words, phrases, and ideas placed upon John and his tremendous role of “Preparing the Way” for Messiah, all point to something incredibly significant.

Why talk about this? By looking at the Purpose, Work, and Effect of John’s Work, we gain insight and clarity into the Purpose, Work, and Effect of Christ’s Work.

• Agree
Reactions: Rose_bud
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but so far, no one has even mentioned the evidence I have offered in the opening post. I suggest that it be done. :)
Nobody nor anything (any act) can forgive sins except God (Jesus who is God) that's standard understanding (evidence) throughout the entire Word of God.

• Agree
Reactions: Rose_bud
Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟35,137.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Why talk about this? By looking at the Purpose, Work, and Effect of John’s Work, we gain insight and clarity into the Purpose, Work, and Effect of Christ’s Work.
Great summary.
Thanks for getting me to revisit my old notes on John:hug:. I did some research some time back on John possibly being an Essene and his similarities with the group residing in the wilderness. There were more similarities than differences, but we always learning, so the findings may change, always room for revisions :idea:

But I still am amazed at the timing of his birth... six months before Jesus.. I'm sure they were wondering.. How can he (John) say, He (Jesus) was before him (John), not biologically possible:holy:^_^

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Nobody nor anything (any act) can forgive sins except God (Jesus who is God) that's standard understanding (evidence) throughout the entire Word of God.
Very good. Thank you for sharing your ideas and authority.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Very good. Thank you for sharing your ideas and authority.
Jesus has all authority.

Matthew 28:18-20

Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Jesus himself said that Scripture cannot be altered (John 10:35). Only Jesus can forgive sins. “Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins” (Hebrews 9:22). Only Jesus shed blood for us by dying on the cross ... he was the only one who was sinless (1 Peter 1:19/2:22).

Upvote 0

Oneofhope

Oct 27, 2022
Nowhere
✟31,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Jesus has all authority.

Matthew 28:18-20

Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Jesus himself said that Scripture cannot be altered (John 10:35). Only Jesus can forgive sins. “Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins” (Hebrews 9:22). Only Jesus shed blood for us by dying on the cross ... he was the only one who was sinless (1 Peter 1:19/2:22).
Thank you for sharing, however, this thread is about Spiritual Circumcision, the cutting away of the Sinful Nature.

That said, and since you are persistent, I must ask . . . do you forgive others of their sins?

Upvote 0