Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The one Protestant denomination that I can't say anything bad about is the Salvation Army. I attended their church services for over a year, volunteered in their charitable programs, and found sobriety through their Celebrate Recovery meetings. It is the church in which my wife and I were married.

With a worldwide membership of only 1.5 million, the Salvation Army is the most respected and efficient charity in the world. William Booth founded the Salvation Army to minister to the poorest of the poor, the people who Victorian England left behind.

This article is from a former member of the Salvation Army, and I am wondering if anyone can answer its claims:

on why i no longer attend the salvation army | somewhere north

J

JoshuaCh1v9

Had a read of the article and seems to me that he just found out that the Army wasn't for him. It sure don't suit everyone, and that's cool. God calls us to the church He wants us to be in, because that's where we can be most effective for Him.

I'm in the Army because God WANTS me in the Army. My Catholic brothers and sisters are in the RCC because God WANTS them there. Same for my brothers and sisters in the Methodist Church, the Baptist church, the Anglican church etc etc etc.

We have a chorus we sing in the Army

Just where He needs me
My Lord has placed me
Just where He needs me
There would I be....

I'd also say that I've been where he is at now. I've walked away from the Army, and I've ben associated with many churches in my time away, but when I came back to the Army again, I KNEW I was home :)

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i've been thinking of something lately. the salvation army is perhaps the most respected charitable organization in the world, yet there are only about 1.5 million members worldwide. a majority of salvationists now live in asia and africa, even though most donations come from the west. does this suggest a disconnect between the charitable mission and the evangelistic mission of the salvation army in western countries or is it indicative of the decline of religiosity of the western world in general? is the average person who puts a dollar in the kettle aware that the salvation army is a church? i don't mean any disrespect in asking these things. i've long wondered what the salvation army can do today to better realize the vision of its founders.

Upvote 0
J

JoshuaCh1v9

i've been thinking of something lately. the salvation army is perhaps the most respected charitable organization in the world, yet there are only about 1.5 million members worldwide. a majority of salvationists now live in asia and africa, even though most donations come from the west. does this suggest a disconnect between the charitable mission and the evangelistic mission of the salvation army in western countries or is it indicative of the decline of religiosity of the western world in general? is the average person who puts a dollar in the kettle aware that the salvation army is a church? i don't mean any disrespect in asking these things. i've long wondered what the salvation army can do today to better realize the vision of its founders.

Oh man! I wish you were here in the UK. I could so sit and have a few coffee's with you my friend. We could talk for hours :)

How many people know we are a church? Not many I suspect. Is that a problem? Yes! Is it our fault? Yes! should we be doing far more than we are to change that? Absolutely Yes!

To your other main point. It's true that the Army is growing in Africa and Asia, whilst declining in the west. Yes, partly that IS due to a general turn away from church by people in general, and most churches have the same problem. Most, but not all. A look at the way the charismatic and Pentecostal churches are packing them in tells me that people ARE searching for God still, but that the Army has gotten stuck in a rut and has changed little in 50 years (in the UK at any rate). That is changing (Lord be praised) and we are starting to see results from that. We need to be contemporary again, as we were 150 years ago when Booth started out in east London.

As Salvationists we are Christians.That means we are supposed to be Christlike. And the Jesus if the Bible was the same yesterday, today and forever. That means that Jesus was always contemporary, and if the Army is not contemporary then it's stopped following Jesus and got stuck back there in a kind of spiritual time warp.

Like I said though, it's changing....and here's two examples.

Sunday School. This was declining rapidly because, in the communities we are trying to reach, many kids are from homes where their parents have seperated and/or divorced. So, the kids are living with one parent...which is usually their mother. So where are they on Sunday? With dad of course. So they are not around to attract to Sunday School. Eventually we got over this fixation that it had to be held on Sunday, called it a JAM Club (Jesus And Me), and have it on a weekday evening instead :)

The other example is that people can't relate, at least initially, to our style of worship. So what to do? Scrap the meeting format? Do away with band, songsters, uniform etc?

No. You don't wanna chuck out the baby with the bath water.

Look at what we do. Make sure it works. If it does then fine. If not then either change it so that it works or get rid of it. So we need to adapt our worship style to appeal to non Army people. So that's what we are doing. One thing we are doing is monthly cafe church. No sections, no uniform. Informal, relaxed worship. And people 'get it' :)

Once people start coming to church they are likely to continue coming to church. Now that's just two examples of area's where change is happening, and it's a couple of steps on a long journey, with many many more steps to take.

We need to get out of our halls and get back out into the community again. The best way for us to go forward is to go back...right back. Right back to Boothian principles.

General Booth once said "When Jesus told his disciples to go make apostles of all the world, he did not mean build a few nice halls, have some nice meetings, invite the people in, and if they don't want to come then leave them be. That is NOT a valid interpretation of Biblical teaching"

Upvote 0