Amish Survived COVID Better Than Most by Never Locking Down, Shuttering Churches

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,199.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Breaking precepts isn't fatal

You said that breaking them prevents me from being human. So if I come back as a carnivore, I'm going to kill something.. There goes my chance of regaining my humanity.

How do I arrange it so I come back as a herbivore?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,199.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Breaking a precept isn't the only factor

You seem like a good person (this is a factor)

But if I break any one of them then I can't achieve humanity. Is that right?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,199.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Accept the afterlife is real

(Animals are not concerned about the afterlife)

It's logical…

Is that your reason for believing in it? It's logical? Because it doesn't appear that way to me. Something a little more concrete from you would be good.

Upvote 0

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟130,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
Is that your reason for believing in it? It's logical? Because it doesn't appear that way to me. Something a little more concrete from you would be good.

The Egyptians were concerned about the afterlife

That is their humanity

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,199.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

The Egyptians were concerned about the afterlife

That is their humanity

So it's logical and the Egyptians were concerned about it.

Have you been a Buddhist long or is this a recent thing?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟130,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
If I kill something then it's dead. Not much wiggle room there. When it's dead it's 100% dead.

Salt in a glass of water is not fit to drink

Salt in a river is trivial

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟130,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
So it's logical and the Egyptians were concerned about it.

My point is that humanity is concerned about the afterlife

Whereas animals have lesser concerns

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟130,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
Have you been a Buddhist long or is this a recent thing?

The transition to Buddhism was slow and difficult

Starting early in life and moving away from normal concerns

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,199.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

The transition to Buddhism was slow and difficult

Starting early in life and moving away from normal concerns

I don't recommend Buddhism because it's like…

Something like having everything you care about stolen

Then I'll give it a miss. Thanks for your input.

• Haha
Reactions: JohnEmmett
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'As such, using obituaries published in an Amish and Mennonite correspondence newspaper allows us to track patterns in the number of deaths during the COVID-19 pandemic and compare to patterns of death over the past five years. We find the number of fatalities among Amish and Mennonites did indeed increase in the 2020 pandemic and followed similar trend lines of deaths in the USA.

The large number of excess deaths among the Amish and Mennonite community is concerning, as it indicates not only the presence, but the impact of COVID-19 on this community. ' Closed but Not Protected: Excess Deaths Among the Amish and Mennonites During the COVID-19 Pandemic - Journal of Religion and Health
You could have pulled out the numbers, as I requested, since you provided the source.

"The excess death rate for Amish/Mennonites spiked with a 125% increase in November 2020." Ok..what did that mean?
Down further:

"Following this method, we use 2015–2019 death data as a baseline to estimate the percent of excess deaths among the Amish and Mennonites in 2020 that may signal COVID-19 outbreaks and resulting deaths in these communities."

So it may or may not be related. Still looking for numbers in this long article.

Goodness...

"We coded all obituaries published in The Budget from 2015 through January 2021 for the decedent’s death date, age at death, sex, and the state in which the death occurred. Our dataset excludes deaths occurring before January 1, 2015, and after December 31, 2020, yielding 2,438 cases across 34 states."

So 2438 people died in 34 states in 5 years.

Ok...sounds pretty normal. Still looking for a Covid spike.

"We compared the number of deaths, the average age of death, and the sex ratio (male/female) of death for each month of 2020 against its 5-year baseline average. These comparisons yield estimates of percent change. For example, ((2020 deaths—5-year baseline average of deaths)/5-year baseline average deaths)*100 = % change in death. The results represent an excess death rate percentage by month."

Ok...what are the numbers for which populations?

Finally...a table. So the Ohio community at which they looked spiked from 35 deaths normally to 75 in that one month of November 2020, mirroring the three spikes of the population at large in 2020.

"The average age of death from January to April 2020 was slightly lower than the baseline. However, starting in May, the average age of death in 2020 was higher every month for the rest of 2020. In June 2020, the average age of death was 73, 11 years older than the baseline average of death or 18% higher. Similarly, in November 2020, the average age of death was 78 years old, 10 years older than the baseline or 15% higher."

So old people died (nothing about Covid here) later in the year. Ok. People die when they are well over 70, unfortunately.

"Comparing these ratios to the baseline, more men died than women in 2020 than the baseline during this time with large differences in May (65%) and June (113%). In September and December 2020, more women died than men, and these ratios were 30 and 38% lower than the baseline ratios for these months, respectively. In October and November 2020, more women died than women, and these ratios were 26 and 20% higher than the baseline ratios for these months, respectively."

Ok. More women died than women? Hmmm.

Still no numbers. Just percentage rates increased. So if 1 normally dies and 2 die the next month this was a 100 percent increase!!!

We need the numbers.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I gave a link to a paper devoted to the Amish excess deaths statistics as "...a means to estimate the lethality of COVID-19 (directly and indirectly)"; so yes, we do have stats on excess deaths.
No, we don't. We have estimations.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,000.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm concerned about dying

I'm concerned about the afterlife
Not much you can do about dying but take precautions to put it off as long as possible and make it as painless as possible.

The afterlife is literally nothing to be concerned about. The world will continue without you.

Upvote 0