Against Calvinism

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,744,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
A

All Souls

Carl Trueman:
Given the choice, I would always rather have my opinions presented and explained by a competent opponent than an incompetent friend; but my strong preference is for a competent friend to undertake the task. Thus, it is always very useful to have those views with which we disagree explained to us by those who are competent and sympathetic to the views under discussion. Of such is this book by Roger Olson. While few readers of New Horizons will be in much sympathy with Olson's theology, it is nonetheless useful to have a book on Arminianism written by an Arminian.

Upvote 0
A

All Souls

TMS:

Since this is not a highly technical book, it is valuable as a resource for almost anyone who wants to know what Arminians believe. However, the book will be limited as a polemical resource, since Olson does not engage in detailed argumentation against Calvinist doctrine. Olson’s fairly consistent irenic tone and his call for cordiality and patience should be heeded by Calvinists and Arminians, and those particularly narrow Calvinists. Those who regard classical Arminianism as heresy should receive Olson’s rebuke and acknowledge that Arminians are fellow members of the body of Christ. Overall, Olson’s book is highly recommended for those who want to understand the Arminian-Calvinist controversy better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

He concludes:

One final criticism: the heavy didactic tone of the book comes over at times as rather patronizing; but if you can cope with this and are also aware of the serious mistakes in Olson's understanding of the scholarship on seventeenth century thought, this is a useful, if flawed, guide to how a leading contemporary Arminian understands his own tradition.

Yeah, that is glowing! And from a personal friend not a Olsen-hater.

Keep Googling.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,744,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
He concludes:

Yeah, that is glowing! And from a personal friend not a Olsen-hater.

Keep Googling.

So it probably IS an accurate portrayal of Arminianism.

Upvote 0
A

All Souls

He concludes:

Yeah, that is glowing! And from a friend not a Olsen-hater.

Keep Googling.

It depends what one expects from Olson's book, does it do a good job of rebutting false claims made against Arminianism? Yes. Does it contain some errors that need redressing? Yes. If I am reading Olson expecting him to speak expertly on historical theology then I am an idiot, since (a) his field is that of relating to being a Professor of Christian Theology of Ethics, and (b) his book is published by Zondervan. All this does is illustrate the theology needs to be done in community, and without the grenade launchers.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,744,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't see myself as an Arminian, but I would love to see your case why an Arminian couldn't be an inclusivist.

The main reason is that, while Arminianism is wrong on a lot of issues, it's still within the pale of orthodoxy. I can't say the same for inclusivism.

But to be more specific, Arminians do not believe in the security of the believer. Inclusivism has the security of the non-believer.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It depends what one expects from Olson's book, does it do a good job of rebutting false claims made against Arminianism?

Does it cite examples of these false claims or just prop up straw men?

Upvote 0