Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If every country in the world
wanted to abolish the death penalty
at the same time.

Would you support that idea?
There is no reason that the abolition of execution needs to be simultaneous worldwide. Many nations have abolished executions without being impacted by the nations that retain it. (It's the same with US states that don't have executions not being affected by those that do.)

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟383,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'd imagine that some countries might drag their feet. Why wait for them? The sooner the better. Abolishing the death penalty reduces the odds, however slim those odds may be, of innocent people being put to death. It has happened before and it can happen again. Even one innocent person being accidentally put to death outweighs the benefits of executing the guilty, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,201,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'd imagine that some countries might drag their feet.
I imagine any country would reply with laughter when asked to change their policies in exchange for conservative comedy more air time on US TV.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟327,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
at the same time.

I personally don't hold any strong feelings on the death penalty at all. And I think life in prison is more difficult to take than being put to death. Imagine spending decades in prison. All your family and friends have either died off or have forgotten about you. Then you spend your final days in the geriatric ward of a prison hospital being cared for by prison trustees. That is a fate worse than death. But what I don't like is when life imprisonment actually turns out to be imprisonment until everyone has forgotten the victim. The murderer is released but his victim is still dead.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟111,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
at the same time.

Yes, I would support abolition of the death penalty, cos I am pro-life, from womb to tomb.

Christian Perspective:
From a Christian theological perspective, execution raises several ethical concerns. First and foremost is the value of human life. As created in the image of God (Genesis 1:26-27), every human life is precious and sacred. This belief extends to the lives of those who have committed heinous crimes. In the Old Testament, there are numerous instances where God commands the ancient Israelites to show mercy and compassion (e.g., Exodus 34:6-7; Deuteronomy 15:11, 27:19). The New Testament teachings of Jesus further emphasize the importance of love and forgiveness (Matthew 5:43-48; Luke 6:27-36).

Moreover, the Christian belief in the sanctity of human life extends to the unborn and those nearing death. The taking of any human life, including that of a criminal, is considered a grave violation of this sacredness. This perspective raises the question: if execution is not murder, what is it then?

Additionally, some argue that capital punishment may ultimately perpetuate a cycle of violence and revenge. The death of the convicted criminal does not bring back the lives of their victims or provide any solace to their families. Furthermore, there is a risk that the execution of an innocent person may occur due to human error or bias. These concerns align with the Christian emphasis on mercy, forgiveness, and the inherent worth of every human life.

Secular Moral Perspective:
From a secular perspective, several arguments oppose the use of capital punishment as an ethical response to crime. First and foremost is the idea that execution constitutes a violation of human dignity. Human beings possess inherent value, regardless of their actions or circumstances. The act of taking someone's life, even in retribution for a heinous crime, denies the moral agency and inherent worth of that individual.

Furthermore, there are concerns regarding the fallibility and inconsistency of the legal system in meting out capital punishment. The risk of executing an innocent person is ever present, as evidenced by numerous cases of wrongful convictions and exonerations. In addition, the application of capital punishment is often influenced by factors such as race, socioeconomic status, and geography, raising questions about fairness and impartiality.

Another argument against execution from a secular moral perspective is that rehabilitation and restorative justice are more effective means of addressing crime. By focusing on the root causes of criminal behavior and providing opportunities for individuals to reintegrate into society, we can create a safer and more just world without resorting to the taking of human life.

In conclusion, both from a Christian theological perspective and a secular moral standpoint, execution raises significant ethical concerns. The inherent value of human life, the importance of mercy, forgiveness, and compassion, and the potential for fallibility in the application of capital punishment all point towards a more humane and just alternative to taking a human life. Ultimately, the pursuit of a society that values and protects every individual's dignity and worth should guide our moral compass in the ongoing debate surrounding execution.

Upvote 0