A Blaze of Glory OOC

S

StarSplitter87

8 years later after discussion ended

This genre is a hard one and jumping in head first is why a lot of RPG rage quitting starts.

I've been saying I want to join in and perhaps play the game it is based on for like 2 years. Dave, you sure know how to pick them. Its like trying to dive into C.S. Lewis RPG without having read any of his novels or even the movies.

Not realistic.

On that note, Dave, I'm so lost.

~Star

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pick what? If you mean the players, I was -trying- to educate the poor lad. >.>

Anyway. If you're lost, we can figure something out. The next storyarc has not begun, but it's drawing near. If you wanna keep the old intro plan in any capacity, we gotta get cracking.

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ah, Space Marine? Funny you should mention the complexity of this setting. >.> Space Marine actually touches very little on the kind of stuff we'll be encountering in this RP. Space marines are, after all, superhuman. There are orks and chaos in there, sure, and that's something the crew has already encountered, but even what you'll learn about the space marines themselves isn't universally applicable. The Ultramarines, stars of that game, are the quintessential standard, but other chapters like the White Scars, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves act very differently.

That said, Space Marine was an awesome game and I really recommend it if you like a good action game. If not, don't worry about getting it, it's much stronger in action and gameplay than it is in story.

I also think it may be Microsoft exclusive. So PC and 360 have it, but I don't know about PS3.

Do you have an instant messenger of any sort, Star? I think it'd be easier to coordinate that way. >_<

Upvote 0

Woman of Faith

...by faith I am saved.
Jul 16, 2004
Ooooooklahoma!
✟16,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dave,

You and Star still getting things worked out? Bert put Adrian to bed, so did Nic do the same with Drea. Looks like you're on to bring in da noise and da funk. Or was that the orks? :p Anyway, seems like a good place to do your thang.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

StarSplitter87

Indeed very busy. I quit my job at Family Video due to harressment and my boss unwilling to deal with it.

My water heater quit about a week ago, we thought we fixed it, and then 3 days ago it went out again. So we had to scrap together money for a new one and pay a guy to put it in. But he can't hook the power to it so we have to wait to find someone to do THAT.

Also, the cadaliac has had issues and we spent ALOT of money fixing it so it works.

On top of that school is much busier now that i have an assistantship and have to tutor 10 hours a week plus grading for 3 Astro 100 classes, all of which have about 70 students each.

My Nuclear Techniques class is all lab which is a bit hectic since he expects alot of a grad-student's lab report....Aced my first one though.

Plus I had a test this week.....bleh. Did well I think.

My mom is currently dealing with her own school stuff, I edit what I can of her's while she edits my lab reports for me.

Ben has finally finished paying off his diploma and is getting his info together for applying to gradschool and deciding what masters degree he wants to get.
As well as getting applied for sub-teaching at the local highschools in the mean time.
I'm so proud of him.

And now we finally got all our W-2's and T-180's or whatever, we have to tax stuff. That we shouldn't owe on since we took no exemptions and put in extra $5 to both fed and state to make sure......all that's tomorrow.

After which we can both do our fincial aid info by march.....

And that's all the stuff that's happened since right before Christmas.

I'm tired lol

~Star

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Figured this'd be a better place to carry on that conversation,

Well, that's the problem. It's really not much like Firefly at all, and I don't know Stargate well enough to compare the two. Best I can say is pretend your a medieval fantasy character in space. I know it sounds strange, but that's the very foundation of the setting. It started with Warhammer Fantasy Battle, and then one day in the early 80's Games Workshop put out basically a spoof of it in sci fi, and they futurized a bunch of the races from WHF. Of course, they realized it was pretty popular and made it something of its own, and toned down the "WHF in SPAAAAACE!" feeling.

The Imperium of Man, for example, is the Empire from WHF. Its government is a theocratic feudalism, with the God Emperor of Mankind at the top, the Highlords of Terra beneath him, and countless planetary governors and sector lords serving as noble lieges over the innumerable umpteen quadrillion human beings within its borders. Magic is replaced by the deadly power of the Warp, which manifests in humans known as psykers; like being a wizard, but you run the ever-present risk of being spontaneously possessed and other unpleasant stuff. Technology is much better than in a medieval setting, but people still look upon it with a dark ages sort of mentality.

The roaming warbands of daemon-worshipping barbarians that were the Warriors of Chaos in WHF are replaced by, well, humans and Space Marines who now worship Chaos instead of the Emperor.

Orcs and goblins were space-aged into Da Orkz, with their same brutality and crudeness, but in addition to an affinity for loud, spiky, ramshackle and bullet-spewing machinery.

Elves and Dark Elves had their stories rearranged, their traits exaggerated, and their mystical craftsmanship and magical affinity replaced with incomprehensibly elegant technology and psychic power.

That's the kind of mindset you should approach this with. Sure, there's lots of tech, but information still travels slowly. There's no internet. Long distance communication is done by astropathic psykers. Space travel over long distances is dangerous, because you have to navigate the daemon-realm of the Warp. Sure, you can get a laser gun, but you're just as likely to be expected to use a sword well. You don't have freedom of speech or other luxuries of free western culture, simply because humanity has grown too huge, and the perils of the universe are far too great, for the race to stay united and strong without sacrificing freedom for the average citizen. The people we think of as most free: Rogue Traders, Inquisitors, etc, are only free so long as they perform their exceptionally dangerous and complicated jobs.

I know you mentioned wanting to pick up Space Marine to get a feel for it, but I'd suggest watching playthroughs of that and maybe the Imperial Guard campaigns in Dawn of War: Winter Assault or something like that, if you don't have the time/money/interest to go slog through a vidja gaim.

Upvote 0
S

StarSplitter87

Ok so let me get this straight.....within the realm of my knowledge.....

The government is sorta like Ancient Egypt, with a god like being as the top.

Psykers are sorta like Babylon 5's pyskers or even X-Men mutants but just the pyskic ones.

The Chaos worshipers are sorta like Klingons, but darker and evil.

Da Orkz are what I would consider close to Firefly's Reevers, though I know you don't really enjoy that show.

The elves you describe make me think of Vulcans more than the ones from middle earth.

I'm sorry if these seem stretches......I have no frame of reference here.....but if these comparisons are CLOSE, I think I'll go the futurama captain zapp brannigan route of some very well respected captain of an inquizitor ship or something who got captured and tortured until he went crazy and was discharged due to mental instability.

With that in mind....what do you suggest be my backstory as to why I end up with the group?

~Star

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you kidding? I loved Firefly! That said, no, the Orks aren't all that much like the Reavers. Really, the Dark Eldar are closer to them, except they're like Reavers that are immortal, brilliant, and able to move fast enough to keep pace with River when she goes berserk. Glory actually has a long-running grudge against the D.Eldar because of the death of her parents. They're a vile race, who need to inflict suffering and agony on other sentient beings the way you and I need to eat or sleep. The "Craftworld Eldar," or just plain Eldar-- not necessarily "good," but not evil as the Dark Eldar-- are actually less like Vulcans than Tolkien's elves. They actually feel emotion much more intensely than we do, though that does result in a philosophy of restraint among them. Not to the extent of the Vulcans, though. You're better off imagining Tolkien elves with bedazzling technology and flashier magic.

Orks are more like this. Winter Assault - Dis Is A WAAAGH! - YouTube Yeah. Crass Cockney pub-crawlers mixed with the Mongol Horde, as Cyber Owl once put it. They're brutal, yes, but they're also the only consistently silly/comic relief people in 40k.

Chaos is a different animal. Moreso than the rest of humanity, they are incredibly diverse. Nearly all of its followers are human, but they tend to be united more by faith in a certain chaos god out of the 4 in the pantheon than anything else. We'll not get too far into that, don't worry.

My main concern right now is in getting your character prepped. Do you not use AIM anymore? I've not seen you online in ages.

We had talked earlier about your character being a refugee on another Imperial vessel. Being tortured by the enemy is fine, but I'd recommend the insanity be downplayed a tad. If it gets to be anywhere in Tullifer Dentmind's territory, the poor sot'll probably be mind-wiped or killed. We had that rescue scenario, with the ork freebootaz. Could just as easily be Eldar corsairs, or a chaos raider.

As for your fellow's background, Inquisitors are usually being kept record of well enough that he'd not be able to go off the grid for long. Plus, they tend to be the most knowledgeable, capable, and dangerous men and women in the Imperium. I'd hold off on that until you feel comfortable reflecting that. A Rogue Trader, however, would be viable. They're allowed to be all sorts of eccentric.

If anything interests you, you can always look it up on the Lexicanum website I linked earlier in the ooc. It's a popular 40k lore wiki, highly recommend it. It's where I got a lot of my own background info.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Woman of Faith

...by faith I am saved.
Jul 16, 2004
Ooooooklahoma!
✟16,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unwanted suggestions coming:

Don't try to compare them to anything in some other, established world. 40K is a genre unto itself, at least that's been my experience. I just started in, like being thrown into deep water and learning to swim, or at least tread water. Sometimes that's how I feel, like I'm just treading water, but the important thing is to just get in there.

Know your characters well and the rest will come to you.

Upvote 0
S

StarSplitter87

I take it my Futurama reference was lost? :(

Hmmm....another reference......Capt. Mal from Firefly when he's being the silly and then all of the sudden becoming seriouz bizzness. I guess you could say I'd like to model my char off him except if he were FOR the alliance....that's just wrong.

I dunno, lady muse isn't singing today.

And Woffy I MUST compare! I must find my reference point. I'm all at sea and guides me are the archetypes of the science fiction realm......

Plus it's more fun. I once say this guy completely enraged that Lord of the Rings stole themes and plots from Harry Potter hahahahahaha

~Star

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not really. I've not seen much Futurama, but I've seen an episode or two of which Brannigan was a main feature. The man was an absolute tool and someone who behaved like him would have been lucky to be repurposed as a lobotomized servitor in the Imperium. Mal could get by.

And... who said that about LOTR? It kinda predates Harry Potter by nearly 50 years.

Upvote 0
S

StarSplitter87

For you Dave.

CFC26E1B-7F28-42C6-8588-194E337A6844-3084-000002F6387B75CD.jpg

~Star

Upvote 0