NoVa
✟174,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ is risen! Between the eclipse and the solar storm/aurora event, it really has been a season for that. Glory to God!
Is this something unique to Eastern Orthodox? If so, then I'd like to read more about how solar flares, or a sudden increase in their activity is so.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟120,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't think there's an Orthodox opinion on solar flares or other celestial phenomenon, just the usual Christian notion that the beauty of creation points in some way to God's handiwork and that our experience and appreciation of it should draw us closer to God.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟64,353.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I thought this was about that fabulous chorus from Haydn' 'Die Schöpfung/The Creation' (1798)
Even so, yes, the sky has been quite interesting of late.
Marvelous thunderstorms yesterday.
The aurora borealis was present here in the north of England, though don't let the photographs deceive you. They were hardly visible by the naked eye aside from presenting as a feint green fog. It has been quite interesting looking through what my cameras picked up once I got home.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟490,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Here the weather was my favorite kind of weather: beautiful fog with cool drizzling. It is ironic that in the British comedy As Time Goes By, the main characters are in LA to sell their story to Hollywood, and the male protagonist wishes for a drizzly day back in England, when he could have experienced just as much of a pleasant drizzle in Southern California by going to the coast (of course, in some months we get more of this than in others, particularly in May and June, where it is nicknamed “June Gloom”).

As I see it, the fog reminds me of the undiscovered nature of the life of the World to Come, and the glory of God, which like the terrain concealed by fog, might be revealed to us in the Eschaton as we walk towards us. And God historically concealed Himself in clouds of fog and of incense in the Old Testament before His incarnation, for example, on Mount Sinai. And there is the recurrent miracle of the mist atop Mount Tabor on the feast of the Transfiguration.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,193,407.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here the weather was my favorite kind of weather: beautiful fog with cool drizzling. It is ironic that in the British comedy As Time Goes By, the main characters are in LA to sell their story to Hollywood, and the male protagonist wishes for a drizzly day back in England, when he could have experienced just as much of a pleasant drizzle in Southern California by going to the coast.
I only know an Australian movie by that name (great movie too)

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟490,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I only know an Australian movie by that name (great movie too)

The British comedy series starred Geoffrey Palmer and Dame Judy Dench, and was so popular it inspired their casting in the James Bond films (which for me, having seen it first, in 1998 I did a doubletake when at an electronics store, I saw Tomorrow Never Dies playing on the televisions in the store, having not seen it in theater (it had just been released on video), and it featured the two of them as M and one other character.

Upvote 0