Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The feast of divine mercy is celebrated on the Second Sunday of Easter and is associated with the prayer of the Divine Mercy Chaplet, a pious practice revealed to St. Maria Faustina Kowalska by Jesus himself that has spread throughout the world.

While Catholics are not required to believe private revelations, the Church often encourages the practices associated with those that she approves, such as St. Faustina’s divine mercy revelations.

There are five main reasons to offer this prayer, as Inés Mery, a volunteer with the Divine Mercy Foundation’s shrine in Chile, explained to ACI Prensa, CNA’s Spanish-language news partner.

1. It develops an attitude of trust.​

Jesus appeared to St. Faustina on Sept. 13-14, 1935, in Vilnius, Lithuania, and asked her to make his mercy known through the dissemination of an image of himself bearing the inscription “Jesus, I trust in you” that he showed to her and also through the establishment of the feast of divine mercy and the recitation of the chaplet.

People who pray this chaplet offer to God the Father “the body and blood, soul and divinity” of Jesus Christ “in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world. By joining themselves to the sacrifice of Jesus, they appeal to this love with which God the Father loves his Son and in him all people,” Mery explained.

“This prayer asks for ‘mercy for us and the whole world’ in an attitude of trust,” she added.

In this way, “by fulfilling the conditions that must characterize every good prayer (humility, perseverance, submission to the will of God), the faithful can expect the fulfillment of the promises of Christ that refer especially to the hour of death: the grace of conversion and a peaceful death,” the volunteer noted.

Jesus told St. Faustina: “The souls that say this chaplet will be embraced by my mercy during their lifetime and especially at the hour of their death” (“Diary, 754) and that “by saying the chaplet you are bringing humankind closer to me” (“Diary, 929).

2. Extraordinary graces are obtained.​

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: DJWhalen

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,779,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,779,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Upvote 0

DJWhalen

Do your best and let God do the rest.
Feb 13, 2024
Indianapolis
✟18,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
I will pray the chaplet and I find myself praying for abortion, homosexuals and the transgenders more now that I am Catholic. I don't like them still but I need the mercy and so does the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟259,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I will pray the chaplet and I find myself praying for abortion, homosexuals and the transgenders more now that I am Catholic. I don't like them still but I need the mercy and so does the world.
I also pray it for victims of suicide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums