United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pope Francis has called God’s mercy “an abyss beyond our comprehension.”

“God’s mercy can make even the driest land become a garden, can restore life to dry bones (Ez 37:1-14),” he said in his very first Easter “urbi et orbi” message in 2013.

“Let us be renewed by God’s mercy, let us be loved by Jesus, let us enable the power of his love to transform our lives, too,” he continued, “and let us become agents of this mercy, channels through which God can water the earth, protect all creation, and make justice and peace flourish.”

One special way to bring about this transformation in our lives is to undertake the Divine Mercy novena, which begins each year on Good Friday.

This popular, nine-day devotion was shared with the world by St. Faustina Kowalska (1905–1938), a simple, uneducated nun from Poland chosen by Our Lord to be an apostle and secretary of his mercy.

Our Lord told St. Faustina: “I desire that during these nine days, you bring souls to the fountain of my mercy, that they may draw ... strength and refreshment and whatever grace they need in the hardships of life, and especially at the hour of death.”

The Lord asked St. Faustina to begin the novena on Good Friday. “Each day you will lead a different group of souls and immerse them in the sea of my mercy,” he instructed. “Each day you will beseech the Father through my bitter passion for graces for these souls.”

This novena can be prayed at any time, but the faithful are encouraged to begin it on Good Friday in preparation for the feast of Divine Mercy, which is celebrated on the Sunday after Easter.

How to pray the Divine Mercy novena​

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: DJWhalen