GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
Revelation 14:1 ¶And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.
2 And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:
3 And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth.
4 These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.
5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.

This is what we believe. They are men, and they are virgins. I have heard some say its the Jews, but don't think there is a verse stating that. Unless someone else knows? Anyone?
GEL

Upvote 0

Cary.Melvin

Roman Orthodox
Sep 3, 2003
Ocala, FL
✟1,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They are only people that are in heaven with Jesus (and the last one was picked in 1935), the rest of us will just have to live in paradise on Earth. I learned that from couple of nice people that came to my door the other day bearing pamplets. :D

Reactions: Rechtgläubig
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟516,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cary.Melvin said:
They are only people that are in heaven with Jesus (and the last one was picked in 1935), the rest of us will just have to live in paradise on Earth. I learned that from couple of nice people that came to my door the other day bearing pamplets. :D

Amen! ^_^

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
Cary.Melvin said:
HAHA!
My friend was a Jehovah Witness and I would argue with her about EVERYTHING! Finally the Lord pulled her out of that brainwashing thinking!
It is really sad that people actually think that salvation is only limited to a church.
GEL

Upvote 0

Cary.Melvin

Roman Orthodox
Sep 3, 2003
Ocala, FL
✟1,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
GreenEyedLady said:
HAHA!
My friend was a Jehovah Witness and I would argue with her about EVERYTHING! Finally the Lord pulled her out of that brainwashing thinking!
It is really sad that people actually think that salvation is only limited to a church.
GEL
Did she ever tell you why she believed that the Jehovah's Witness "church" was the true church?

Upvote 0

bleechers

Christ Our Passover!
Apr 8, 2004
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,509.00
Faith
Christian
This is what we believe. They are men, and they are virgins. I have heard some say its the Jews, but don't think there is a verse stating that. Unless someone else knows? Anyone?

For your consideration:

4Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel.
5From the tribe of Judah 12,000 were sealed,
from the tribe of Reuben 12,000,
from the tribe of Gad 12,000,
6from the tribe of Asher 12,000,
from the tribe of Naphtali 12,000,
from the tribe of Manasseh 12,000,
7from the tribe of Simeon 12,000,
from the tribe of Levi 12,000,
from the tribe of Issachar 12,000,
8from the tribe of Zebulun 12,000,
from the tribe of Joseph 12,000,
from the tribe of Benjamin 12,000.

:)

Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
She tells me now "because I was brainwashed into that thinking" They use their own bible, their own materials all written by the Watchtower Society. They do not look at any other source as a valid other than the Watchtower stuff.
She is now an avid EX-JW seeking to help others out of the cult.

Cary.Melvin said:
Did she ever tell you why she believed that the Jehovah's Witness "church" was the true church?
Bleechers-
Thanks for that verse. I knew it was somewhere. There is a big Messianic movement going on, I keep a close eye on it to see what is happening. Its quite awesome seeing the Jews accepting Christ.

GEL

Upvote 0

ufonium2

Seriously, stop killing kids.
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Cary.Melvin said:
I can't believe I'm telling this story twice in one day! Anyway:

A few years ago some JWs came to my house and asked my dad to give them land on our farm to build a church. Dad looked them straight in the eye and told them he'd trade the land for one of the 144,000 spots. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cary.Melvin

Roman Orthodox
Sep 3, 2003
Ocala, FL
✟1,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
tateziwin said:
Yes, thanks guys but anyone able to enlighten me as to what the meaning of it is? My friend says he can't believe cos only 144,000 get saved so what's the point.
It sounds like your friend is a Jehovah's Witness. It is a religion that was founded by an American man named Charles Taze Russell in the 19th Century. They deny the trinity and claim that Jesus was Micheal the Arch-Angel incarnate.

I don't know about Baptists, but Catholics don't see them as Christians because of their views of Jesus.

Upvote 0

bleechers

Christ Our Passover!
Apr 8, 2004
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,509.00
Faith
Christian
I don't know about Baptists, but Catholics don't see them as Christians because of their views of Jesus.

They are outside the pale of accepted Christianity.

For many Baptists, the scores of Catholic doctrines which reject the knowledge of salvation by faith in Christ's finished work, place them outside the pale as well.

For the record, it's "Russell". :)

Upvote 0

Cary.Melvin

Roman Orthodox
Sep 3, 2003
Ocala, FL
✟1,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
bleechers said:
They are outside the pale of accepted Christianity.
The Big reason they are not Christians is that they deny the divinity of Jesus Christ.

bleechers said:
For many Baptists, the scores of Catholic doctrines which reject the knowledge of salvation by faith in Christ's finished work, place them outside the pale as well.
Whatever you may think about Catholics, They do believe that Jesus is God.

bleechers said:
For the record, it's "Russell". :)
Thank you for the correction.:wave:

Upvote 0

Terri

Senior Veteran
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
✟20,061.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Cary.Melvin said:
They are only people that are in heaven with Jesus (and the last one was picked in 1935), the rest of us will just have to live in paradise on Earth. I learned that from couple of nice people that came to my door the other day bearing pamplets.
This is a very ugly statement to give to someone seeking truth and certainly does not represent the Baptist belief.

We certainly do not believe that only 144,000 people are saved nor that only 144,000 people will be in heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bleechers

Christ Our Passover!
Apr 8, 2004
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,509.00
Faith
Christian
Whatever you may think about Catholics, They do believe that Jesus is God.

Oh, I love Catholics (used to be one, you know)... it's "Catholicism" that denies the fundamentals. ;)

And the WORK of Christ is as central to Baptist doctrine as the PERSON of Christ.

Reactions: Cright
Upvote 0

GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
tateziwin said:
Yes, thanks guys but anyone able to enlighten me as to what the meaning of it is? My friend says he can't believe cos only 144,000 get saved so what's the point.
They are from the 12 tribes, they are Jews, not Gentiles. Show him where it says that 144,000 are men and Jews at that! I went over and over with my friend about this verse. She used to tell me that the word men and virgins is "symbolic" to mean "pure people" When I told her that the verse would then contradic itself. The bible never uses a verse to mean both literal and symbolic. Its either literal or symbolic, so I told her ..........either 144,000 is literal, like she believed, or its also symbolic. If its literal, then the entire verse has to be taken literally, if its symbolic then the number must be taken that ways also.
I hope I am making some kind of sense to you.
GEL

Upvote 0

Tenorvoice

Give me Liberty ...Or a pie in the face
Feb 10, 2004
Way down yonder in the paw paw patch
✟22,387.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
To my understanding the 144,00 are the choses Jews that God will seal after the rapture of the Church to be His evagalist (sp) and like someone esle said they will be spreading The Word of God like a wild fire (I like that way of looking @ it). Also they will not be the only ones saved at this time. There will be others saved but they will be childeren that have not been able to make the decision to follow Christ for themselves after the Rapture, and they will be the people of the world that have not heard the Gospel mesage for themselves.

For The Bible clrealy states that the ones that have heard the Word of God and do not make the decision to folow Christ then that is the same thing as rejecting Him. No decision @ all is a decision to not follow. So there will be adults saved after the Rapture but they will be the ones that have not heard the Word Of God for themselves.
(yes I am pre-trib beliver)

Peace

And do not forget that Revelation and Daniel need to be studied @ the same time. THey go hand and hand and will explain one another.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.