Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here is something I just read from one woman’s Protestant perspective and what she claims. Of course, I do not agree but I thought it would go nicely with this topic.
Her claims were soundly rebutted by Pastor Hargrove in the same article. No evidence given, ignores significant parts of Scripture that explicitly say ordained ministry is only for men, ignores the distinction between an apostle in the general sense and the Twelve most people think of when they hear "apostle," nothing but a conspiracy theory about those mean men who translated the Bible. I wonder what her thoughts would be on the Greek-speaking Church in antiquity that didn't need translations but still didn't ordain women.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,070.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
ignores significant parts of Scripture that explicitly say ordained ministry is only for men,
Scripture doesn't discriminate between "ordained" ministry and lay ministry. The roles we commonly consider "ordained" - deacons, elders (priests), and overseers (bishops) - in the NT sit alongside prophets and teachers and evangelists etc. as all contributing to the leadership and ministries of the church. The concept of some of those roles being ordained, and others not, is a later distinction.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Pope Paul VI did a better job on Humanae Vitae than any female ever could. So that argument is out the window.

That's a very sweeping assertion! Perhaps say "Pope Paul VI did an excellent job on Humanae Vitae", and leave it there. We don't know what the female theologians of the next few centuries will have to say. It could be that another Thomas Aquinas (but female this time) is about to be born.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

concretecamper

I stand with Candice.
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟276,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's a very sweeping assertion! Perhaps say "Pope Paul VI did an excellent job on Humanae Vitae", and leave it there.
Because I call them as I see them, I give maximum credit where maximum credit is due. I don't downgrade anything for fear of excluding or offending.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Because I call them as I see them, I give maximum credit where maximum credit is due. I don't downgrade anything for fear of excluding or offending.

I'd settle for "Pope Paul VI did a better job on Humanae Vitae than any other person ever could."

Upvote 0

concretecamper

I stand with Candice.
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟276,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'd settle for "Pope Paul VI did a better job on Humanae Vitae than any other person ever could."
Sorry, here to proclaim the truth, not satisfy you.

And I would give unparalleled credit to Sister Faustina on Divine Mercy too, but that ain't the topic.

God Bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟834,813.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟375,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, no, no. . .that would put them in disagreement with NT authoritative apostolic teaching (1 Tim 2:11-12).
that assumes the command was a "universal" rule and not a "local" issue.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟375,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That does not mean that the Holy Spirit Himself is feminine.
exactly how did you come to this conclusion? if the word is feminine then we refer to the spirit as feminine. the conclusion seems Illogical.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟375,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Catholic Church wants to abolish the death penalty.

I support the Catholic Church on that issue.

Do you?
Why? you are in favor of criminal behavior? What do you think is going to be the outcome? What do you hope it will achieve?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Would you be more likely to join the Catholic Church,
if they had women priests, bishops, and cardinals?

Would any of those priests, bishops, or cardinals be teaching Justification by grace alone through faith alone?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟25,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
exactly how did you come to this conclusion? if the word is feminine then we refer to the spirit as feminine.
Through a basic knowledge of gendered languages, mainly Latin and Greek. I really don't mean to be condescending, and I know it sounds like I do, but this whole controversy just smacks of ignorance of languages other than English, the same as the "petra/Petros" argument about Matthew 16:18. The word for "tablet" is feminine in Latin, but we don't refer to a tablet in English as "her."

Words that are closely related to people, e.g. occupations, do have correspondence between grammatical gender and personal gender: a servus is a slave, and can refer to either a slave in the general sense or to a male slave specifically; a serva is always a female slave. Words that are not closely related to people, like malleus, hammer, can be any grammatical gender, without affecting how we refer to them in English. The word for "spirit" falls into this latter category linguistically, even though in the unique case of God, the Holy Spirit is a person.

Upvote 0