Would you be more likely to join…

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟27,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would you be more likely to join the Catholic Church,
if they had women priests, bishops, and cardinals?
Nope. Comically, my daughter, who used to think it was a cult, is not Catholic. But she's so deep into it that I call her a "pre-vatican-2" catholic. She's into wearing the head covering, daily mass, etc. She's autistic and needs the "order" in her life. They are a perfect fit for her without leaving Christianity for something like Islam.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟281,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not significantly, no. My chief disagreement with the Catholic Church is their view of church authority, and that disagreement would still be present if they changed their views of gender.
Their view, or the apostle Paul's view regarding the assembly (1 Tim 2:11-12), who received his teaching from Jesus? (Gal 1:11-12)?

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Would you be more likely to join the Catholic Church,
if they had women priests, bishops, and cardinals?
Yeah, as long as they did not support trans stuff or abortions. Oh wait, I am already Catholic. :)

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, yes, if my Catholic church had women priests, I will not leave the church. But as soon as the priests push abortions and trans stuff on us, then I will relocate to a different church. As of April 2024, the church that I go to only has male priests.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟281,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, yes, if my Catholic church had women priests, I will not leave the church. But as soon as the priests push abortions and trans stuff on us, then I will relocate to a different church. As of April 2024, the church that I go to only has male priests.
I don't think the Catholic church ordains women to the priesthood. . .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟281,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, as of 2024, there are no women priests in the Catholic Church, hopefully that changes.
No, no, no. . .that would put them in disagreement with NT authoritative apostolic teaching (1 Tim 2:11-12).

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, no, no. . .that would put them in disagreement with NT authoritative apostolic teaching (1 Tim 2:11-12).
Well, I am in the middle on this one. Mary gave birth to Jesus, so I feel that women can be vessels for spreading the Good News also, but I will not debate on that.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,732,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I am in the middle on this one. Mary gave birth to Jesus, so I feel that women can be vessels for spreading the Good News also, but I will not debate on that.
Of course they can. But not in the role of a priest according to the RCC. Does not look like that is going to change anytime soon.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟968,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, because I have other differences regarding the papacy, closed communion, its later additions to the faith, and its handling of abuse by clergy. I could live with its prohibition of female clergy. I don't agree with it, but I could live with it. It is not the "stopper" for me that other things are.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course they can. But not in the role of a priest according to the RCC. Does not look like that is going to change anytime soon.
Yeah, it will probably not change soon, but with Pope Francis, anything could change. Though, I actually like Francis a lot, except for his pro-Russian views (Guardian article)

Upvote 0

Solo81

Jan 19, 2024
Gundy
✟19,697.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Not significantly, no. My chief disagreement with the Catholic Church is their view of church authority, and that disagreement would still be present if they changed their views of gender.
The RCC say they only ordain males because that was what Christ did. It is not a gender issue.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Their view, or the apostle Paul's view regarding the assembly (1 Tim 2:11-12), who received his teaching from Jesus? (Gal 1:11-12)?

Their view. The questions of which branch(es) of the church best represent the fullness of the church following the AD 1054 schism, or whether the Bishop of Rome is infallible when speaking ex cathedra, are questions that post-date the writing of the New Testament.

(I'm not interested in debating these questions here. I'm willing to agree to disagree peaceably. I'm also very close to Catholic theology on many points. But the Catholic view of church authority would prevent me from actually becoming a member.)

Upvote 0