In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
But, as someone already pointed out, what about people who dislike the thought of marriage or have no intention of getting married?

I guess they expect them to remain celibate. Guess that means they'll be taking cold showers for the rest of their lives.

Unless there's an alternative.

Upvote 0

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I guess they expect them to remain celibate. Guess that means they'll be taking cold showers for the rest of their lives.

Unless there's an alternative.

Solo sex? :p That's one of the (many) failures of the abstinence-only movement: it assumes that everyone wants to/will get married. There's a lot of people out there who will never get married. There's a lot of people out there (myself included) who view marriage as an archaic tradition that has little relevance, now that people generally don't enter into marriage for economic reasons.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Good luck telling your college kids to keep waiting.

One of the things that seemed to be prevalent in my mostly Christian town was that the men, Christian or not, were encouraged to lose their virginity as soon as possible, and sometimes congratulated by their parents, while girls are expected to wait. Sooooo, either their is a really bad double standard set by the parents, the girls aren't listening, or the boys are losing it to each other.

Upvote 0

Ryal Kane

Senior Veteran
Apr 21, 2004
Hamilton
✟13,720.00
Faith
Atheist
Solo sex? :p That's one of the (many) failures of the abstinence-only movement: it assumes that everyone wants to/will get married. There's a lot of people out there who will never get married. There's a lot of people out there (myself included) who view marriage as an archaic tradition that has little relevance, now that people generally don't enter into marriage for economic reasons.

'Abstinence Only' also typically teaches that masturbation, the safest form of sex there is, should be avoided. :doh:

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
'Abstinence Only' also typically teaches that masturbation, the safest form of sex there is, should be avoided. :doh:
I was rather doubtful about this so I did Google search, and sure enough, it seems that if they don't say it should be avoided, they tend not to say anything about it at all. Interestingly enough, in my search I came across this little news item from last May.

"FONDA & FULTONVILLE — Several Fonda-Fultonville school district residents on Tuesday criticized the use of a Planned Parenthood educator to conduct sex education classes for seventh- and eighth-graders beginning today.

The parents said they had collected 163 signatures of residents opposing the introduction of Planned Parenthood materials or organization-developed instruction in the school.

The group developed a Web site, www.notinourschool.com, which lists financial earnings of Planned Parenthood and other details of the organization.

Deborah Young said she started researching Planned Parenthood education guidelines and found passages that suggested masturbation is a source of pleasure.
“I went in, I could not believe what I saw,” Young said.

Arlene Whittingham said she did research as well and found educational materials directed to children between the ages of 5 and 8 which indicate that girls and boys have body parts that feel good when touched.

Whittingham said she found it “quite unconscionable” that an organization could suggest sharing such information with school students"

[emphasis mine]

source

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Whittingham said she found it “quite unconscionable” that an organization could suggest sharing such information with school students

Which is why kids grow up with unhealthy attitudes towards sex. :doh:

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Which is why kids grow up with unhealthy attitudes towards sex. :doh:

Exactly. Kids are often taught that sex before marriage is wrong, that it's dirty, and then are somehow supposed to do a 180 after they are married and think that it is good.

Of course, we all heard the numerous lies: If you touch, you will go crazy/blind/grow hair on your palms, become gay, use up all your sperm, etc., and yet, are supposed to then believe these lying adults about other aspects of sex?

American kids deny that their parents have sex, and their parents deny that their kids have any sexual feelings until they are in their late teens, but kids have childish sexual feelings as well. Many kids learn to touch on their own at a early age. (I discovered it by myself around 8, but my friend from Mexico, who was uncircumcised, told me that he first did it around 5).
I remember a friend telling me that she had her first period in 3rd grade. Her mother assuumed that this wouldn't happen until she was in 6th, so she had about 3 before she told her mother, because she thought something was wrong with her. I was freaked out as well the first time I saw something come out from masterbating. My parents, like many, think that it is better to simply not talk about it, and pretend that it doesn't exist, or that it will prevent it from happening, and, in a sense, keep their children from growing up. Unfortunately, their bodies continue to grow up, even if their minds don't mature with it, due to guilt , fear, or ignorance.

A friend from Norway was often asked if she went topless on the beach, or didn't shave her legs. She said yes, to the shock of many prudes. Then she would answer, "You know what I don't understand? You don't go topless to the beach, and think yourself a modest society, but something you have that we don't is inappropriate contentography everywhere. You have it at the supermarket, the gas station, the book store...You have and buy far more inappropriate content, and giggle when I say that we go topless, like you were 5 years old."

Reactions: Eudaimonist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ramona

If you can't see my siggy, I've disappeared ;)
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2006
Visit site
✟55,932.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Thats right, nerds occasionally take surveys too!

Hey! What makes you think that we nerds don't have sex, too?

Moving on...

I will always be of the opinion that it's far better to teach one's kids about contraception, safe sex, and the emotional strings attatched to it than to say "SEX IS FOR MARRIAGE ONLY" and leave it at that. For all the shouting I hear about abortion from these abstinence-only advocates (I myself am pro-life, but not at all in favor of AO "education"), few seem to draw the connection that more contraception will inevitably result in less pregnancy. Less pregnancy will result in less abortion. It isn't a difficult concept. Moreover, parents should never underestimate the power of teenage hormones.

And about this "I would never want sex with a virgin" hullabaloo, what's the big deal? If you're just looking for a one-off, it's understandable to want someone with more experience, but in a relationship? You live and learn, people. I'll bet that none of y'all who are too good to be with less experienced men and women now were any big-shots your first few times. I wasn't a virgin when I met my FH, but he'd never even kissed a woman before. However, this is the most satisfying, amazing, earth-moving relationship I could ever hope to be in - physically, emotionally, mentally, intellectually, spiritually...AND sexually.

Like all things worth doing, good sex takes practice, so be patient. :)

Reactions: Eudaimonist
Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The most important thing is that any sex that teens have is safe and enjoyable. I really don't see much point in saving it until marriage. To do so is to place too much emphasis on sex, and to instill all sorts of hangups in young people about it. I wish that I hadn't taken it so seriously when I was younger. I am still working on getting over some of the shame and self-consciousness that I associate with it even now.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
My Swedish SO tells me that many American teens have to hide sex and relationships from their parents, and so they sneak sex and don't have strong relationships, while Swedish teens who can be open about their sexual relationships with parents tend to have stronger and longer-lasting relationships.

I think she has a point.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That's a very good point, Mark - the more open and honest it's possible for young people to be with their parents, the better. It leads to fewer silly decisions if teens feel able to talk their feelings and desires through with their parents.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Has anyone considered the legal ramifications. While in some places a 15/16 year old may be legal, as they grow (assuming their relationship sticks), it will become a 16/17 or 17/18 pairing, which can lead to the older one being considered a child molester for the rest of his life. I use his, because last I checked, if an underage guy has sex with an older woman, he is lucky, if an underage girl has sex with an older guy, she has been taken advantage of. So really, while maybe not saving it for marriage, what about saving it for 'older than an arbitrary age'?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone considered the legal ramifications. While in some places a 15/16 year old may be legal, as they grow (assuming their relationship sticks), it will become a 16/17 or 17/18 pairing, which can lead to the older one being considered a child molester for the rest of his life. I use his, because last I checked, if an underage guy has sex with an older woman, he is lucky, if an underage girl has sex with an older guy, she has been taken advantage of. So really, while maybe not saving it for marriage, what about saving it for 'older than an arbitrary age'?

Don't most states have exceptions for a person younger than the age of consent dating someone who's only a few years older?

Upvote 0

Big Empty Circle

Big fat Confederate-sympathizing queer Zen atheist
Jun 19, 2008
Paducah, KY
✟15,348.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Harmful to Minors by Judith Levine is an interesting book, about how destructive and dangerous is the fanatical move in our society to protect children from any exposure to healthy, natural, positive attitudes about sex. It's really depressing... in short, pubescents and teenagers have about the highest and most uncontrollable sex drives of anyone in society, their knowledge about the powerful, natural, inevitable urges they're feeling and the behavior they inspire is (thanks to the so-called "morality" being forced on their educations) minimal and often full of outright errors... leading at worst to disastrous, life-crippling mistakes and at best to a lot of confusion and fear. I would guess that for many raised as abstinent Christians, those deeply ingrained negative feelings about sex last well into marriage, possibly for all their lives -- you can't just spend decades putting forth a massive internal effort fighting your overwhelming natural drives, and then suddenly say "Oh, well now it's okay and good and beautiful." It's like male race horses who have to be first conditioned not to mount female horses on the track, and then when they retire to stud, have to be "re-trained" to be able to mate... once you've been beaten (literally or figuratively) into knowing something is bad and wrong and to be avoided at all costs, you can't just switch it back on.

Further, teaching children that sex is bad -- that only naughty, sinful people have sex -- makes them not only feel needlessly shameful about their own unavoidable sexual desires and afraid to ask parents or anyone else vital questions; but, especially in the case of young girls, since they're told that what they "really want" is love and marriage, when they hit puberty and the hormones start churning such that what they "really want" is, in fact, sex, they understandably can mistake one feeling for another and make dangerously poor decisions as a result.

And you can't even argue about it -- anyone who wants minors to know about sex is obviously a family-destroying, life-ruining pervert. Judith Levine noted that just for suggesting that children SHOULD know about sex and that it isn't inherently evil or disgusting, she's been branded a child molester.

Leave it to conservative Christians pushing so-called "family values" to be causing the problems they profess to cure.

Reactions: TooCurious
Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
but, especially in the case of young girls, since they're told that what they "really want" is love and marriage, when they hit puberty and the hormones start churning such that what they "really want" is, in fact, sex, they understandably can mistake one feeling for another and make dangerously poor decisions as a result.

This is a really great insight. I've seen it happen over and over, but didn't entirely make this connection. It's been strange to me that the most insightful 20-something Christian women I know seem unable to learn to trust themselves. In fact, some of them say that's the opposite of what they've been taught. One wonderful young Christian girl I know goes from one adult she respects to another for advice, and no one seems to have helped her listen to their own heart.

Of course, our own desires are rarely unmixed, so it's not uncommon for a young person to want sex and at the same time want other things that an early sexual relationship could interfere with. But only by realizing that she really does want both things will she be able to make a conscious choice between them.

Upvote 0

Donkeytron

Veteran
Oct 24, 2005
✟17,374.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Even if most do, that means some don't.

My girlfriend is 5 days younger than me. Which means that when we were dating during senior year of high school, it was perfectly legal for us to do it until my 18th birthday, then it was illegal for the next 5 days, then legal again thereafter. If so, thats pretty funny.

Upvote 0