We Should Teach Our Teens To Wait Until Marriage For Sex

Ramona

If you can't see my siggy, I've disappeared ;)
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2006
Visit site
✟55,932.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
My girlfriend is 5 days younger than me. Which means that when we were dating during senior year of high school, it was perfectly legal for us to do it until my 18th birthday, then it was illegal for the next 5 days, then legal again thereafter. If so, thats pretty funny.

In most states, the legal adult can be two years older than the minor. The other half and I are two years, one month, and one day apart. We are both adults, but to this day I'm unsure if it would have made things illegal had we been at it when we were 17 and 19 respectively...I mean, technically it is more than a two-year difference. :scratch:

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Harmful to Minors by Judith Levine is an interesting book, about how destructive and dangerous is the fanatical move in our society to protect children from any exposure to healthy, natural, positive attitudes about sex.

I read from 1/2 to 3/4 (forgot exactly) for a research paper. I agree, fun book.

It's really depressing... in short, pubescents and teenagers have about the highest and most uncontrollable sex drives of anyone in society, their knowledge about the powerful, natural, inevitable urges they're feeling and the behavior they inspire is (thanks to the so-called "morality" being forced on their educations) minimal and often full of outright errors... leading at worst to disastrous, life-crippling mistakes and at best to a lot of confusion and fear. I would guess that for many raised as abstinent Christians, those deeply ingrained negative feelings about sex last well into marriage, possibly for all their lives -- you can't just spend decades putting forth a massive internal effort fighting your overwhelming natural drives, and then suddenly say "Oh, well now it's okay and good and beautiful." It's like male race horses who have to be first conditioned not to mount female horses on the track, and then when they retire to stud, have to be "re-trained" to be able to mate... once you've been beaten (literally or figuratively) into knowing something is bad and wrong and to be avoided at all costs, you can't just switch it back on.

Further, teaching children that sex is bad -- that only naughty, sinful people have sex -- makes them not only feel needlessly shameful about their own unavoidable sexual desires and afraid to ask parents or anyone else vital questions; but, especially in the case of young girls, since they're told that what they "really want" is love and marriage, when they hit puberty and the hormones start churning such that what they "really want" is, in fact, sex, they understandably can mistake one feeling for another and make dangerously poor decisions as a result.

And you can't even argue about it -- anyone who wants minors to know about sex is obviously a family-destroying, life-ruining pervert. Judith Levine noted that just for suggesting that children SHOULD know about sex and that it isn't inherently evil or disgusting, she's been branded a child molester.
That part I missed. Your making me going to go get it again so I can finish it.
Leave it to conservative Christians pushing so-called "family values" to be causing the problems they profess to cure.
Not really just conservative Christian. More like standard Judeo-Christian values which have heavily influenced American culture. At least it isn't as bad as the Victorian era where a man and woman had to be dressed to tell which was the man and which was the woman.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
My girlfriend is 5 days younger than me. Which means that when we were dating during senior year of high school, it was perfectly legal for us to do it until my 18th birthday, then it was illegal for the next 5 days, then legal again thereafter. If so, thats pretty funny.

Yeah... funny till you get branded a child molester for it.

Upvote 0