Virginia school board votes to restore Confederate names to two schools

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟326,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Those people in the South who made war with the North were people racists who desired slavery. Then a 21st-century candidate makes a racist comment with no outrage. That is the double standard.
1. They're not comparable situations.

2. There was plenty of outrage of Biden's comment. You'll note that he hasn't repeated it.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think he was calling you a racist either - you made a sweeping, somewhat insulting, generalization by claiming that the only reason why people want the statues removed was so that "kids can feel better about themselves". He flipped your assertion around. That's what I wanted you to think about.
Why keep statues just to make racists feel better?
Quit making excuses for your tribemate.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟326,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You accused me of calling you a racist. I explained the reasoning and intent behind my words - which included my interpretation of what was said by another poster. That's not excusing anything. Now - can you get back on topic and stop throwing accusations and insults around?

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟177,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
No, his intent was pretty clear, and asserting that people want statues removed so "kids can feel better about themselves" is snotty, condescending and--as you know--false.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Those people in the South who made war with the North were people racists who desired slavery. Then a 21st-century candidate makes a racist comment with no outrage. That is the double standard.
A double standard irrelevant to the topic of this thread, honoring traitors who made war on the US by naming things in the US after them, and not one I have made. That their war was based on the corner stone of race based slavery is secondary.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, his intent was pretty clear, and asserting that people want statues removed so "kids can feel better about themselves" is snotty, condescending and--as you know--false.
I don't know what caused these kids to dig up something from 160 years ago. Maybe manipulation. We elected Barrak, which showed me the progress from the racism of my day. Now we have to tear down history? This may be virtue signaling might be more believable if they were attacking persons in the 20th century who were just as racist.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟326,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know what caused these kids to dig up something from 160 years ago. Maybe manipulation.
Most of the monuments at issue were put up around 60-100 years ago.
We elected Barrak, which showed me the progress from the racism of my day. Now we have to tear down history?
"We elected a black president, therefore racism is no more!" What a silly argument.
This may be virtue signaling might be more believable if they were attacking persons in the 20th century who were just as racist.
So far, your lone example of someone from the 20th century being "just as racist" is a single comment. I'm not sure how you could possibly see that as being "just as racist" as a person who literally owned slaves and went to war to keep the right to do so.

Not to mention, you're contradicting yourself - if people today are "just as racist" as they were 160 years ago, then clearly we haven't made any progress from the racism of your day.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟310,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A double standard irrelevant to the topic of this thread, honoring traitors who made war on the US by naming things in the US after them, and not one I have made. That their war was based on the corner stone of race based slavery is secondary.
Lee and Jackson weren't cancelled just for being slaveholders, but especially for being traitors.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟326,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟884,184.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Lee and Jackson weren't cancelled just for being slaveholders, but especially for being traitors.
I haven't heard this. Do you have any links to further info about it?

Earlier I mentioned a Lee school getting renamed. The school released a statement at the time. I don't remember the exact words, but I remember the gist of it was wanting to create a "space which was safe and inclusive" and not wanting to be hurtful to certain students. They didn't mention anything about treason.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"We elected a black president, therefore racism is no more!" What a silly argument.
Don't put words in my mouth!
So far, your lone example of someone from the 20th century being "just as racist" is a single comment. I'm not sure how you could possibly see that as being "just as racist" as a person who literally owned slaves and went to war to keep the right to do so.
Because you don't understand the need for slaves in the Southern economy. They went to war to maintain their way of life and unfortunately, it included slavery which has been going on for HUNDREDS of years. I can't fault my ancestor's ignorance because they lived like that for generations and knew no better. Today we know how wrong it was. Do you think those white and black plantation owners wanted to pick cotton?

They were just as racist because they treated blacks like dirt till civil rights. To me, not being able to eat in the same place, drink out of the same water fountain, or use the same bathroom is appalling. The people in the 20th century should have known better because we had a Civil War because of it and yet 100 years later......

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
20th century folk like I've been saying all a long.

Yes, twentieth century people put up the statues and named the schools in honor of nineteenth century traitors.

Reactions: xser88
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, twentieth century people put up the statues and named the schools in honor of nineteenth century traitors.
Were they traitors if Lincoln forgave them? So the virtue signalers of the 21st century want to retry the case.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟884,184.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just want to stop honoring treason.
I really admire your strong American patriotism. Does seem a little odd though, when your avatar is the U.S. flag defaced.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟310,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And 21st century people chose to restore those traitors to positions of honor -- last week.

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟326,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't put words in my mouth!
Electing a black president is indicative of very little, especially considering the blatant racism people expressed towards him during his presidency. While Obama's election did represent progress, making some progress does not mean that we cannot make more. As I said, it's a silly argument.
Because you don't understand the need for slaves in the Southern economy. They went to war to maintain their way of life and unfortunately, it included slavery which has been going on for HUNDREDS of years. I can't fault my ancestor's ignorance because they lived like that for generations and knew no better. Today we know how wrong it was. Do you think those white and black plantation owners wanted to pick cotton?
I understand very well that the Southern economy was built on slavery. That doesn't excuse the Civil War though - it just explains it. I can understand your desire to see your ancestors in a good light, but frankly, it seems like you're projecting any criticism of slave owners and the Confederacy as attacks on yourself because of your heritage.

African slavery was ultimately rooted in racism; the belief that black people were inherently inferior, subhuman beings who needed white people to guide them, simply because they looked different and lived in a less developed society. That it provided cheap, convenient labor was just a side benefit. Of course the plantation owners didn't want to pick cotton - but they could have paid other people to do it, rather than buying and breeding them.
They were just as racist because they treated blacks like dirt till civil rights. To me, not being able to eat in the same place, drink out of the same water fountain, or use the same bathroom is appalling. The people in the 20th century should have known better because we had a Civil War because of it and yet 100 years later......
Absolutely, but you don't see the leadership of the KKK getting schools named after them or statues erected in their honor (and if you do, let me know where - I'll happily campaign to have those monuments removed as well).

Upvote 0