Los Angeles Area
✟840,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Nearly four years ago, the Shenandoah County School Board ... moved to rename Stonewall Jackson High School and Ashby Lee Elementary School. The schools had been named after Confederate Gens. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson, Robert E. Lee and Turner Ashby.

That 2020 move was part of a resolution condemning racism and affirming the district’s “commitment to an inclusive school environment,” according to school board documents.

The schools have been called Mountain View High School and Honey Run Elementary School since July 2021, according to board documents.

But the composition of the school board is different now than it was during the 2020 decision – all six seats are held by different people.

The 5-1 vote came after hours of public comment during a meeting that began Thursday evening from people speaking on both sides of the issue. Vice Chairman Kyle L. Gutshall was the sole opposing vote.

“I ask that when you cast your vote, you remember that Stonewall Jackson and others fighting on the side of the Confederacy in this area were intent on protecting the land, the buildings and the lives of those under attack,” said a woman urging the board to restore the Confederate names. “Preservation is the focus of those wishing to restore the names.”

Sarah Kohrs, a mother of two students attending schools in the district, is among several parents and residents who said ahead of the vote that they were opposed to restoring the Confederacy-tied names and were frustrated it was being considered.

“It’s very frustrating to know that here we are four years after that, and we still have a small portion of the community that just refuses to move on,” Kohrs told CNN.

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,205,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nice. history is history and we can't change it all we can do is learn from it. We don't learn because our delusional thing of this time is different. ie Reserve Currency
Yet no Benedict Arnold or Timothy mcveigh schools for some reason…

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,205,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What does this have to to with the American civil war?
Historical figures who attacked the United States get schools named after them right?

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Historical figures who attacked the United States get schools named after them right?
No historical individuals who attacked our country shouldn't be named. You know that the North had slaves before and after the Civil War. It was a war of two groups of like-minded Americans fighting for their way of life and their rights. As a modern man, I believe it to be wrong but you have to understand that slavery was part of socioeconomics since man could capture other men to do work for them. It didn't start in America.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟840,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
We weren't united then and definitely not United now.
Irrelevant to the fact that our country is the United States of America, and not the Confederate States of America.

The people with the CSA belt buckles were attacking our country.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Irrelevant to the fact that our country is the United States of America, and not the Confederate States of America.

lol

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟35,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I should have added if we had a civil war today we would no longer be the USA. We would be the DSA vs RSA.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟840,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I should have added if we had a civil war today we would no longer be the USA. We would be the DSA vs RSA.
I doubt that. Trump was and Biden is the president of the USA, our country.
But there will never be an Ashli Babbitt High School.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,205,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟248,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Yet no Benedict Arnold or Timothy mcveigh schools for some reason…
Who are you talking about? I don't know who these people are because there are no buildings named after them and no statues. Are these American heroes? I just have no idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,217,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nice. history is history and we can't change it all we can do is learn from it. We don't learn because our delusional thing of this time is different. ie Reserve Currency
Well, I'll push back on that a little...

There's a difference between "preserving history", and "showing reverence to the ideas".

For instance, preserving the writings, battlefields, uniforms of the confederates...or the writings of the men who actually served under them (in some sort of historical society or museum context) is preserving history. One can even make a good case for preserving the former homesteads (and whatever statues/samples that happened to be on their homestead property) of those guys under the blanket of the historical society is also preserving history.

However.
Building a brand new high school in 1959 during a tumultuous racial tension period (and naming it after confederates), is showing reverence. Or in the case of the Elementary school in question, that was built in 1975.

It's the difference between preserving certain writings, landmarks, and items for a Holocaust museum vs. building a new high school in 1998 and naming it "Goebbels high school"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟150,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Should it come to war, Xi and Putin would likely divvy up whatever remained.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟437,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...There's a difference between "preserving history", and "showing reverence to the ideas".....
Yeah theres plenty ways to learn about and preserve history without having to put everyone in places of honor.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,217,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah theres plenty ways to learn about and preserve history without having to put everyone in places of honor.
That, and like I noted, most of those schools and statues weren't even "historical" in the true sense.

It's not as if it was some old civil war era schoolhouse that was named after after a confederate general at the time.

Bell bottoms and disco were already in style when they built one of those aforementioned schools and decided to name it after a confederate general.

Same is true for a lot of those monuments that were points of contention (the parks and statues, etc...) Most of those were built decades and decades after the civil war was over by people who didn't know the guys (and some weren't even born yet when the civil war was happening).

It was more of a way for people in the south to signal "we liked the way things were before...if you catch my drift", and a way to communicate by "saying it without actually saying it" what they thought of non-Whites.

The "preserving history" argument has always been a rather weak one in that regard.

If we don't build this new park in 1975 and name it after Robert E Lee with a 25 foot high flattering statue honoring him in the center of it, people may forget about the civil war and "how bad it was", right guys??? nudge nudge

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟350,759.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There is a difference between changing history and holding up somebody as an example, which is why you would name something after somebody. It's the reason we don't have things named after people like Benedict Arnold or Judas.

Reactions: MartyF
Upvote 0