Thoughts on the danger of trusting in riches

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
The command given to the rich man to sell all he has was only because he treasured his possesions because wanting status more than God not that he was worried how he would live for example without a phone or general knowledge to know how to live and survive or to live for God understands we need all these things as He said if you seek first kingdom all your needs will be met that it is not a command to live naked of all help to be permanent so we do not need to sell all we have just what is not needed but we must only seek what we need for food and spiritual things and afterwards also as Jesus said sell what you have not to lay up treasure on earth and he said not to worry about tommorow what shall we eat or drink but serve God now but God knows what you need and will provide and does not say not to keep what is helpful but we should not lay up treasure that we should not keep that we don’t need if one is rich or does not need all such possession’s to be able to sell to give to poor so we should not keep that we don’t need and if we have enough money to meet our needs for family and business and having rest we should live modest to give enough to poor to be rich in good works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
I thought below was good but I disagree now as I explain in next post

I do believe Jesus way could be harder as is called a narrow gate but once you find it can do it to say persons should sell all they have as part of accepting Christ as Lord and saviour you should do what you can. He said lay not up treasure on earth fear not little flock it is your Father pleasure to give you kingdom sell what you have it is arguable how much He meant but you can do so and see if God will supply to follow Him but He is not saying you have to have no possesions after you follow Him He said He will provide either would be through someone or if not to give you work.I will seek to do so hopefully soon but is more urgent for others.

964130FD-D68A-46D5-8D0B-978604584D28.jpeg

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
I believe now such a way of life must not be given as command as though from the Lord for it is irresponsible waste of funds that it should only be done if the whole church agreed to have all things in common that it was monitored to help all people in need. Even then I think those who did in the early church do that would have kept working to ensure they had but had shared possesions to ensure all people needs are met. Also as there is people in the world who may suffer from sickness needing help to pay bills to see doctor and so should be supported by every christian what they can do for each their part. If someone did waste funds before he is forgiven if still has chance but should not support to bury talent anymore. So I believe the below post is more correct and we need money to gain talents that will help in preaching gospel.

I believe post I posted below before is more correct

The command given to the rich man to sell all he has was only because he treasured his possesions because wanting status more than God not that he was worried how he would live for example without a phone or general knowledge to know how to live and survive or to live for God understands we need all these things as He said if you seek first kingdom all your needs will be met that it is not a command to live naked of all help to be permanent so we do not need to sell all we have just what is not needed but we must only seek what we need for food and spiritual things and afterwards also as Jesus said sell what you have not to lay up treasure on earth and he said not to worry about tommorow what shall we eat or drink but serve God now but God knows what you need and will provide and does not say not to keep what is helpful but we should not lay up treasure that we should not keep that we don’t need if one is rich or does not need all such possession’s to be able to sell to give to poor so we should not keep that we don’t need and if we have enough money to meet our needs for family and business and having rest we should live modest to give enough to poor to be rich in good works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
Actually I do believe it is wrong to condemn to follow that as that may be the teaching of jesus for church should have all things in common to help all and is not the duty of everyone if he doesn’t have that he needs to seek more riches as one is called to forsake all to preach the gospel.It is those who are already rich who sell everything who can help but even if they do not sell everything they can still receive whatever help they are given and God will help make sure others provide help though others ought to sell all.

I decided this knowing now that Jesus taught that as Jesus loves the poor who are rejected by society for example not to marry which I don’t think I will even be guaranteed to find seeing new social rules are made such as my dad saying I may only marry one 10 years younger so that means those who are older may not have kids.

I don’t think I can trust any even my father supporting world system and Jesus taught this to provide refuge for them because He knows it is not guaranteed for everyone to treat them right so He provides judgement for others to make it harder so they empathise with the poor to be in similar situation to make them help and have to be poor to be blessed by God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
I believe I was wrong though I should not condemn those who want to follow that path by doing so one will not be able to do more to have talents to serve to preach and preach for I believe even after obeying there is no such thing as others providing for me enough support and money to pursue whatever goals and skills I think are useful so I will not follow that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
Actually I realise such would be wrong as would be burying talent that I think I should not justify also to be safe for is wrong to be without essentials like phone and be unnecessary burden to church that they may not have that you could have provided for yourself and is wrong to throw away what you have like phone which you may need and also other things to waste that you could use to have skills to serve God more as there will be more in need so I won’t do that.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
Actually I realise such would be wrong as would be burying talent that I think I should not justify also to be safe for is wrong to be without essentials like phone and be unnecessary burden to church that they may not have that you could have provided for yourself and is wrong to throw away what you have like phone which you may need and also other things to waste that you would take time to get again but it helps to have break when you need it and that you could use to have skills to serve God more as there will be more in need so I won’t do that.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
Knowing that those who desire to be rich can be cause for temptation as Paul says and having food and clothing we shall be content means that it is best to be satisfied with a reasonable income which you can help people enough and if the Lord sees to bless it to help more can do without worrying about tommorow of how you can be richer and working too much so you neglect service to God that He makes it easy.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
The command to sell your possesions I believe meant not that you have to sell most but was meant for rich people that can afford to sell such as they have money that they can give to the poor much of their possesions which they are not using now because they can get again. But I believe to be saved one does not need to do that only to be saved on death because you may not be able to do that in some circumstances such as travelling away from your possesions but one is only required to help the poor according to what you are able.

If one is rich can have some money with you have to keep seeking to help those who clearly look like may only be helped by you and help others who look like they need help as you can afford now often to be safe may be needed less but should to be safe but not more than you can afford to have money to grow for business to steward and give to any who ask from time to time small amount if you don’t know if genuine. And a rich person should atleast say in his will he wants to give portion to his family to be able to support themselves but say he wants them to be rich in good works to give much they don’t need for businesses to the poor as the poor need help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
One does not need to sell everything and have no money to develop talents to serve God as this passage shows

Context is in giving to poor then God will supply needs

2 Corinthians 9:8 (NKJV)
And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
A rich person does not need to sell all his possesions but to be generous to those he knows who are in need but Jesus commands not to store up riches which means one should not work for sake of riches to store up many possesions from now but you can have some and what you have now you dont have to sell because then it would be impossible for some to be saved and is wrong if seeking riches is replacing you first obeying christ. And as bible says if riches increase do not set your heart on them so they occupy you more than God service.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
I believe God is looking for people like the early disciples to follow all His teachings which is meant for those who will follow to be taught by Him and provided by Him to be fruitful and to be saved on death. I believe God did not require the rich man to sell all he has that was to be perfect him to give him treasure in heaven but He told him that as He knew his riches would be obstacle from him serving God or rather because his trust was in his riches to get to heaven.

For christ was only trying to redirect him away from his wrong hope for he saw him not as God but only a teacher that he believed he could deserve to go to heaven because he could deserve it by himself according to the law and he loved his riches because by it he hoped to do more good works that while good works are important if you have money you dont need money and without the blood of jesus all your works can not save you.

I think Christ may require of all to leave all possesions not to be saved they are without doing so but will be more fruitful but not as much fruit and wont be saved on death unless you obey it all but do not need to to be saved one day can not sell it can keep it away back home to go preach to trust in His promise to provide for one. But Jesus promises whoever leaves possesions to sell them in this life will also gain more in this life if they work and will sit as judges when He returns that is to be saved on death.

For when He said fear not little flock it is your Father pleasure to give you the kingdom it seems to mean because they left their false beliefs for the sake of the truth they will have heaven but to have treasure in heaven or enter it on death they should sell what they have and give alms to have treasure in heaven because it implies if you dont sell all you will not have is treasure in heaven not to mean one can not go to heaven just meaning having treasure or not that treasure of heaven on death.

For I believe that is the true meaning for what if person was on a trip away from some of his possesions that he can’t sell it but the bible says that whosoever believes should not perish and God is not willing for any to perish and that He desires all men to be saved.But we should sell everything like the disciples who Jesus said will give the honor to sit as judges that is to enter on death.

One can record a video and put it online to say sell my possesions to poor or tell one to record for him to put it online later that that is what they want to do so they can fully follow Jesus according to His promise that He will meet the needs of those who do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
I believe it is wrong to compell people to give up all their money as such should be steward to do more that Jesus never taught one should do but to encourage those who dont have not to worry. When He said sell what you have and give alms He just meant to be charitable not to sell everything or that was because at that time it was possible that all their needs are met that it is helpful as we see in paul epistles that he says just to be willing to share just as He did not require of zaccheous who kept some after recompensing those he cheated and helping some poor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
Now I believe it is wrong as christian to love money that you are not storing more money than you see is needed for the future so the command was given by Jesus to sell what you have. He didnt mean sell all but what you dont see is needed for future but to do charity because in the past one money mainly would be in possesions that it is easy to sell it just like giving money for He didnt mean not care for future but not worry about tommorow means not worry that you need to store more incase something happens that what you have for future is not enough which keeps you from charity.

It is not practical now to sell your posessions that it takes time it is only for rich that have more than they see for future needs to seek to be rich in good works for otherwise you may not have opportunity to repent to call that you may die when you are not seeking but if you seek to do now you are accepted

Hebrews 13:5-6
5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 6 So we may boldly say:
“The LORD is my helper;
I will not fear.
What can man do to me?”

1 Timothy 6:6-10
6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry
nothing out. 8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟301,846.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It is not practical now to sell your posessions that it takes time it is only for rich that have more than they see for future needs to seek to be rich in good works for otherwise you may not have opportunity to repent to call that you may die when you are not seeking but if you seek to do now you are accepted.

I think many people would be considered rich by 0 AD standards in terms of having more than enough income to meet basic needs and actually get overweight or obese from having more food than is needed and be able to make lots of money with very little work and have plenty of free time (as compared to 2000 yrs. ago).

The only reason why many "don't have spare money" is they have everything tied to expensive mortgages, loans, and other debts.

The Bible taught us to owe nothing to anyone. To have no debts.

Although having debts is not a sin. What gets people into debt might be caused by sin like greed, envy/covetousness (wanting to have what others have) so get into debt to get that nice house or nice car, conceitedness, proud spirit. worldliness/materialism or loving the things of this world.

I have to make myself clear not all debts is caused by our own sin. It can also be due to injustice, deceived or misled by other people, inherited from relatives, etc.

• Useful
Reactions: mikeforjesus
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
I suppose it is possible to sell all your possesions that Jesus did not say it has to be sold for much. I thought if you have many possesions you cant sell them in a moment unless you sell the whole house so it is the owner of the house who only can sell it all. But now I realise Jesus did not mean that I need to sell everything as I am not the owner of the house and most of my possesions were given to me by my dad that I can leave them all with my dad except some being mine that I accept some to be kept for me as wages for what is mine as though sold for an amount that I need to seek to sell some of my possesions but if anyone seeks to sell his possesions he can be saved even if it is not possible with time but he keeps no possesions.

The point is to have no possesions for self except what is necessary for you as poor to survive and to serve God that you can keep some things like books that can help you find a job. It is the owner of the house that must sell everything except to keep some for his needs not to be poor and can keep work that supplies just needs but otherwise the rest is to the poor.Jesus did not mean you can not have possesions permanently but you must obey Him and only have possesions when He says it is ok otherwise just to have for your needs. Or it is more right no one must have any possesions if there is no chance to sell so that he can be saved if on a plane that is enough if he takes his wages as just what he needed for plane ticket.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
Actually I dont think it is required to sell everything or much just to be saved on death as you can be overseas and die before it is possible to go home to do so but we know bible says anyone can be saved but if rich one is required to share because he will have money with him always the bible says for the rich to be rich in good works willing to share that it is not required to sell everything but to share good part with those in need I dont know how much but is safe to give most and can work in business to keep for running business and share rest. But I think it may be is required to fulfill God will to be saved on death and to be blessed by God to sell all your possesions except what you need for your survival and can keep some now such as books for what you will use to serve God now.

Last edited:
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟301,846.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Actually I dont think it is required to sell everything or much just to be saved on death as you can be overseas and die before it is possible to go home to do so but we know bible says anyone can be saved but if rich one is required to share because he will have money with him always the bible says for the rich to be rich in good works willing to share that it is not required to sell everything but to share good part with those in need I dont know how much but is safe to give most and can work in business to keep for running business and share rest. But I think it may be is required to fulfill God will to be saved on death and to be blessed by God to sell all your possesions except what you need for your survival and can keep some now such as books for what you will use to serve God now.

One thing you can do is run an honest business that is environment-friendly, employ the poor to work for you and make sure they are compensated well enough, well above average compensation, the work is low stress, and they still have plenty of free time.

If you do that, you probably won't be able to afford an expensive house and expensive car, you won't be much richer than your employees but you'll be able to sustain them indefinitely.

Ironically in many high per-capita income countries in Europe, many small business are setup in such fashion from their tax, compensation laws, social welfare, and other benefits. And for that poverty is almost absent among their citizens.

It's far better to employ the poor in low/un skilled but easy jobs than just hand them out money. The result is far more positive to the poor.

I've seen it for myself when we used to have our family business the ran the business in such manner. Sadly we closed the business from bankruptcy, not because of above average income for our workers but from several huge problems we faced at the time, the pandemic, huge hospital bills from both parents getting sick at different times, and other problems. We actually ended up in debt and still in debt now even after selling most of our possessions.

You don't really need to give up many things. In order to make a living, holding a job, holding a business in the 21st century, many things have become basic necessities like a smart phone, car, even couple sets of nice clothes.

What might be considered excess perhaps is getting an expensive car when a 3x cheaper car would have done the job just the same. Some people would justify expensive cars cost less to maintain in the long term. NOT true in most situations. Maybe if you lived in a place where the roads are really bad, the more expensive SUVs or pickup trucks would last longer in these conditions without repair and may actually be cheaper to maintain in the long run (not guaranteed!). Ironically, there are used SUVs and pickup trucks too that are much cheaper compared to brand new ones.

I agree about saving that is buying only what would be enough to fill a need. Like our previous example, if you need a car, keep it simple and modest, avoid the temptation of buying something a lot more expensive. Even used cars are good option if you are adept enough at inspecting used cars. Forgo luxuries and leisure. Keep traveling to a minimum even if you can easily afford it. A simple watch and other accessories, not upgrading your phone every year. It's ridiculous what other people do like upgrade phone every year or as often as they want. It's seriously damaging to our environment. Sure, the smart phone industry creates a lot of jobs and feeds a lot of families but not everything that makes money is good. Sometimes, too much is too much. When society gives money the highest priority, calamity is just around the corner and almost literally now as the effects of climate change is now more pronounced than ever.

• Friendly
Reactions: mikeforjesus
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,746.00
Faith
Christian
It is not required which I only taught to be safe to give most of your money to charity that you dont need for running business for your needs if it is not possible you need only to seek to do what is possible but should seek to do because you may die when you are not seeking to and if you were truly seeking you would be doing what is possible and if you dont die it would be done but one only needs to do what is possible if you die before.

Upvote 0