Thoughts on the danger of trusting in riches

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
I was thinking about this picture and wondered what does it mean does it mean that people should not seek to provide for tommorow to worry but just ask God for daily bread or is that foolish or people are distracted by possesions that they dont have any time for God.

Attachments

• CD9CA9C9-110B-47F4-93CE-6151EC707A75.png
    CD9CA9C9-110B-47F4-93CE-6151EC707A75.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
I believe the meaning you can not serve God and mammon is probably not that you can’t be rich though those who are rich must help to be willling to share to others in need from their riches what they don’t need to help themselves and family and run businesses as Paul said people should give as they prosper that you must not be greedy but give each time from your prosperity to those in need and can keep the rest for business and needs that it is not wrong to be rich as some prophets were rich but they did not gain riches because their treasure is on earth that one wants to be living for that mostly and not just allowed as a means to have rest to be able to work for the Lord.

And I believe that is what it means you can not serve God and mammon not to work because you want to live your life just for yourself to enjoy life to love money for then it is taking the time you have that belongs to God but as website said money can be an idol if you are not willing to give it up if you feel the Lord may want you to but I believe that is not true unless you really believe that it is required.I dont think website is right but it may be best to obey incase to sell all one possesions to see except what you did not work for or given as for work but I am not sure of that now and not urgent for me so will only sell what I don’t find useful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
A person does not need to have no possesions but he should seek to have only what he needs is safest path to follow as Paul says desiring to be rich can be temptation to consume you that you don’t give enough to poor and having food and clothing we shall be content.I have all my possesions backed up online to know what they are if I feel would be beneficial but I seek to sell all only to use what I need now.

According to my dad the rich man who came to Jesus asking what shall he do to have eternal life was not actually required to sell everything for Jesus said if you want to be perfect. For Jesus did not want him to only because he believed he kept all the commandments perfectly for he trusted he was perfect.

Christ knew he wouldn’t because such would seem not practical if he does not want to live that life and Jesus was showing also to be perfect he must take up cross to follow Jesus that he must know without Christ atonement he can not be made right with God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
This bishop seems to have good intention and wisdom and kind many times but this is serious that should be thought about that for one’s self and not for others they have to decide but not force to help others though they must to only seek to live modest life not have everything as also John chrysostom says the extra clothing you have you don’t need belongs to poor as John the Baptist also said that is if there are many needy you know that definitely need it should be given to them.

m.youtube.com/shorts/x017kaCKTVE?feature=share

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
It is too late to try to seek to save life to keep your possesions. Jesus said he who left house let him not go back to get possesions. Should have been backed up before. If it is not time you have to leave them then you can go back. But persons should flee from his possesions as Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel says you can not take possesions with you. So at this time better not to focus on possesions. That I will declare with my will now incase it is time that christian organisations as long as they give account to many other christian organisations that seem sincere can take all my possesions incase it is time and others should say only if they backup on internet a picture of all possesions and keep only bible.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
Some believe Christian’s should not work secular jobs that is for those not following Christ that they should live off donations of others for some believe the command he who does not work should not eat means that the church should not provide for people needs if they are not working towards the church missions to help serve that they ought to have in common with one another but even if not to accept donations from any even though they are not following their way for they believe they should still be following. But I believe that is wrong according to scripture for some times things are urgent and you should store and Christian’s should work more to support others in need.

Paul said the church should not help widows who have one who can provide for them to only help those who others cannot.Though I don’t agree that Christian’s who are in need who can find work do not need to do some work but one should help them first when they don’t have and help them find work to meet all their needs first not to tell them they need to work I think the safest way for Christian’s to be saved is to live modest life to just support children to have good enough not to be rich but it may be ok if one is rich but can not know if safest that you can have many businesses to help others which includes children to help them but not for yourself but that which you don’t need to run businesses you should give to poor.

For one should give all you don’t need for your modest needs now not to have everything or perhaps it is ok to seek riches but is not recommended because having more more is required to give more and they may be tempted not to or maybe it is wrong to seek more if have enough needs that it was written only to those who already have riches that should be content with just needs but one should give so one will be rich in good deeds to lay hold of eternal life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
I think to be safe should sell everything which includes to children if you think not sure can’t yet support themselves because can not force and follow Jesus and see if He provides and if not work to ensure to be saved. Anyone can be saved if he seeks to do what he can but he could die while he is not seeking so should seek to do. I don’t believe it is right though to risk not supporting family as bible says he who provides not for his own is worse than an unbeliever so he should give to them but for himself he can seek to live by faith as he is not to force that they are to do also when they are ready when they see it work for you.

I saw below picture online and also talking to a moderator of end time survivor group and he shared below video

m.youtube.com/watch?si=aTHV_N1qdwEqwz9q&v=rgkXHxRfIyw&feature=youtu.be

E0037336-6938-4BB0-91EF-8B8EC6B993E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
I know I can’t take my possesions with me when I die but why can‘t I enjoy them all until I die ? Jesus said one life does not consist in the abundance of the things he posseses and not to store up riches but he may mean to the point that you are not seeking first the kingdom as man who said take your ease did not want to work to serve God and Solomon says a labouring man has right to enjoy the fruits of his labor. Bible also says God gives us richly all things to enjoy but also says you can not serve God and mammon I suppose to mean if you are working for purpose of only enjoying this life is wrong and while that is your focus you are not serving God.

But bible also says he who gains his life will lose it and unless a man forsake all that he has he can not be His disciple that is it must not be in his heart more than God. When it says God gives us richly all things to enjoy some take to mean God has provided our needs if we seek first the kingdom that we may enjoy true life for life consists not in the abundance of things one posseses. That God has given us ability to enjoy life with Him with just our needs for enjoying God is what life should be. Eternal life is to know Him. Though I think it may be ok to enjoy some things but it may be only what you must do in service of God as when Solomon said to enjoy fruit of labor may not mean possesions unrelated to work he does.

For we now are able to do so and our purpose is to live for Christ for the promise come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden is that God gives rest to all who serve Him. It is also said the sleep of a labouring man is sweet.I believe it is only safe to sell everything for oneself which includes to children and even those who don’t have money can obey Jesus that they are not neglecting their children if they find need met that way and if church workers do not provide to go to work. If any man does not work does not eat to some mean to work for sake of helping churches in their mission and in return will supply their needs.

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,988.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said it is hard for the rich to enter heaven because if one trusts in one riches to enter heaven if one believes truly one is good that one is worthy that one deserves heaven because of ones works in working hard to be rich as though because one worked and was not lazy. Because one may believe if one worked hard that even though it made one rich one helped others and that made them rich that one deserves salvation because of one many works that one deserves salvation and did not know how much one needs Christ.

As psalm 49 shows for one does not go to heaven for trusting in ones own deeds because one was able to do many things and become rich if one trust is in just in himself and not in Christ but one must only work what Christ requires and he should never think he is worthy.

Not heaven, but rather the kingdom of heaven. The kingdom of heaven is here on Earth. Although, we wait for Jesus to put it in play.

It's actually hard for everyone to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 7:13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.
Matthew 7:14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Matthew 25:14-28 (parable of the talents) explains the problem. The harvests (nuclear attacks) come shortly before Jesus arrives. If Christians don't get out of the way then they die along with everybody else. But almost no Christian will get out the way because it's not convenient. Hence, the parable calls these Christians lazy.

If you somehow manage to avoid the harvests, then Matthew 25:1-13 (parable of wise and foolish virgins) explains what comes next: the fake Jesus. The fake Jesus or false prophet will fool half the virgins who then take the mark.

Who will make through all of this? Not many. A lot less than 1%.

• Informative
Reactions: mikeforjesus
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
I don’t know if parable of the talents teaches the need to work finding something you can do and you can learn. Not to do everything you can do but whatever you know you can to make profit though anyone can be saved if he has chance to repent to seek Christ to seek to do just what he can to make profit or if it is just to enter kingdom upon death. I remember hearing about fake Jesus by someone before maybe it was you but forget how it connects to scripture. I think now I remember it was interpreted that all hear that Jesus is coming on earth which some go to meet but Jesus comes down in clouds so is not him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟301,744.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
According to my dad the rich man who came to Jesus asking what shall he do to have eternal life was not actually required to sell everything for Jesus said if you want to be perfect. For Jesus did not want him to only because he believed he kept all the commandments perfectly for he trusted he was perfect.

Zacchaeus is a good example of a rich man who did the right things.

Zacchaeus did exactly what Jesus asked from the rich young ruler - sold his possessions and gave the proceeds to the poor.

And then Jesus declared salvation to the house of Zacchaeus.

Many rich Christians deny these teachings that it counts to your salvation, yet, we have an example in Zacchaeus.

Wealth/money is deceitful according to Jesus. Wealth deceived even the wisest man ever born - King Solomon. And yet Christians pray for wealth or to be granted opportunities that lead to more wealth.

We're drowning in debt from bad investments by parents and when both got sick, lost all our money to hospital bills. We have a rich Christian relative who could have helped us but they only prayed for us. It didn't helped at all. And then we're in the same line of work, they could have sent us some of their jobs but they never did. The distress of our situation greatly affected my work and it is barely making income to make ends meet now. As a consequence, I'm no longer eating right and have become underweight.

I also had other rich Christians friends in the beginning, I asked them to help me get me a job like a referral but never did and they no longer talked to me.

When you become poor, rich Christians start to avoid you. I suppose they might feel they might be obliged to help even if I don't ask them for any help and I think they don't want that.

It's ironic, out of our many Christian relatives and friends, only few are able to help us in some ways like sending us months worth of groceries, one gave me some easy spreadsheet jobs over email.

The ones who are able to give some help are not well off themselves! Both of them are unemployed! It's crazy! It's unbelievable of all Christians who are able to help us, both happened to be unemployed! One of them told me they were able to help me from the blessings of other people. They are simply more than willing to share their blessings.

Rich Christians behave differently. I think they might only be willing to help you if they think they can get something from you in return. If you're exceptionally talented for example and young or highly intelligent. In other words, you have great potential to become rich.

They're still acting upon greed and for their selfish interests even when they help other people.

Because if you're old, dumb, mentally broken/damaged, they won't even lift a finger to help you because they know, you won't be able to return the favor. They are like the rest of the world/unbelievers who see as nothing more than a cloud of negativity to be avoided.

• Informative
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
I myself don’t agree that bible says you need to sell everything and you can’t work for money for I believe bible teaches to enjoy the fruit of labor that money is a tool that you should use to help others which also helps towards preaching gospel so I will not do so as I want to help others as bible also says he who provides not for his household is worse than an unbeliever so I will seek to work but I can not know for sure so if others are worried they can do so to test if get help as long as all needs are met otherwise have to work for money especially they can do after they have worked to help others. Or perhaps it is right to work for money as person must use talents to gain skills but as Jesus said make friends by unrighteous mammon so that you give what you don’t need to keep for gaining other skills to poor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟301,744.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I myself don’t agree that bible says you need to sell everything

Correct. I don't think Zacchaeus sold everything but he sold substantial portion of his possessions (half of what he owned!) to give to the poor.

This is hard enough since the vast majority of well-off Christians won't do such thing just to help the poor. To give away half of their "hard-earned" possessions to the poor? That would be insane!

I believe bible teaches to enjoy the fruit of labor
Sadly, even Christians over-do this that they end up with nothing or just very little left to help the poor with. If you went over-board simply proves you love worldly things more than God.

If you indulge the flesh, you might up losing your life - Love your life and you will lose it - John 12:25

Or perhaps it is right to work for money as person must use talents to gain skills
Holding a job or running a business is simply to gain money. Gaining useful skills in the process is only a bonus but not a requirement.

In most likelihood, Zacchaeus continued on his job as chief tax collector.

Jesus said make friends by unrighteous mammon so that you give what you don’t need to keep for gaining other skills to poor.
No need to complicate things. You can do any job or business even with skills utterly useless in the church or to the poor as long as your job or business didn't caused others to sin.

"Make friends with mammon/money" simply means help the poor with your money. Because helping the poor makes them your friend.

Ironically, the verse doesn't end there. It continues to say "....When it (money) fails, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings". "Fails" here means when money runs out or is gone and it doesn't just mean the money you have saved and your possessions but also your source of income, your business or job.

Doesn't mean you would choose to leave your job, no. Don't leave your job. But you will probably end up losing your job by showing exceptional generosity to the poor. Your co-workers would see you as someone not-right in the head. Driving a cheap car, wearing cheap clothes, living in a cheap house just so you have more money to spare to help the poor. And when your co-workers are also Christians, your lifestyle of exceptional generosity would become an insult to their Christianity. They will appear as hypocrites compared to you.

• Informative
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
Thankyou but I decided this is safest as if all rich people did they could help poor.

I believe actually it is not safe to take risk that you don’t need to be rich having food and clothing we shall be content that if one daily needs are met through another Christian if you are serving God is enough. That one should do so and if no one helps in time can look for work.And if Christ wants otherwise one can.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
I do not believe one needs to be missionary though should pray the Lord to send out for the furtherance of kingdom on earth but we should obey Christ commmandnents where we are. We do not need to sell everything but we have to be generous to the poor as Jesus said make friends of unrighteous mammon that when you fail that is your money may fail but by their prayers God will help you to escape difficult times or make it less difficult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
I have also thought about if Jesus taught that you need to give up wealth to go to heaven for He also said salvation is not possible with man but the things impossible with man are possible with God. What Jesus meant to rich young ruler and when He said fear not little flock it is your Father pleasure sell what you have was because they were attached to their riches and such would free them to follow God not that they must give up all possesions but if one is rich to have now must seek to do good with it.I don’t know what below articles are saying if they mean you don’t have to help people if you can for I don’t agree but it is that you should not trust your works as necessary.

What Does Jesus Say about Giving Away Possessions?

What did Jesus mean when He said it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven? | GotQuestions.org

5E53AEAF-242A-45A2-B804-08574B301330.jpeg

F0B67616-D05D-4284-AF29-EA87BEF86B98.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟760,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe the parable of the rich young man ( especially as accounted in Matthew 19:16-30 ) tells us much of what is necessary. The Lord told the young man to keep the commandments while the young man said he already had. In Matthew, I believe the Lord is taking the young man at his word as far as keeping the commandments ( & being perfect per Matthew 19:21) in light of what the Lord says what it takes to be perfect in Matthew 5:1-48 & in summation in Matthew 5:48 as in selling all his possessions & become a disciple. This even anguished Peter ( who was not a rich man, per Matthew 19:27).

The thing is the rich young man could have most likely just said, “thank you Lord” when the Lord said to keep the commandments ( everyday as we live). At that point, I believe, the Lord would not have even mentioned selling all possessions but the rich young man assumed too much of himself ( I think he was naive rather than pompous).

The Lord says if we love Him then keep His commandments ( John 14:15-18 & note the Trinity active in these verses). St. Paul reiterated the same commandments the Lord told the rich young man in Romans 13:8-10.

The Lord condemns self indulgent & disregard of others ( Lazarus & the rich man in Luke 16:19-31 etc.). The Lord approves of us rightly earning our wages ( Luke 10:7 etc.), he wants us to be charitable ( Matthew 6:1-4) & pray for ourselves & our neighbor ( Matthew 6:5-13).

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
Thankyou you are very insighful to provide useful commentary of understanding but I believe Jesus also made the point that it is impossible with man to be saved if he thinks to be justified now by any previous work of his own that God did not show him as we must be born again completely the work of God to make this birth not any others to help it and this work must be totally of God that He draws to Him to message of gospel to put His Spirit in one as He said to Samaritan woman if you knew the gift of God you would have asked Him and He would give you living water.For there is no need for another mediator to go to another that he should not depend on anything else before except what Christ leads to if can.

For He said His Spirit will cause to walk in statutes that is all from Him and what He did but now to trust only in what Christ did not previous works as they are just done not because we can earn through them to be worthy but true faith would be accompanied by works if can that it would result in it if one truly repented he would do only what is possible for the law wasnt given to be justified by it for none can be fully blameless that one deserves for keeping it now and I think it was never possible to keep all at one time that you are only to be seeking to do what you can at each time for he is guilty before of breaking it many times but we are justified by faith now for bible says by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
I believe it may be the church came together to sell all their belongings and share the average earning as they realised they had no other option that they realised it is best for survival of all and maybe themselves if it is made greater together so the money increases together and giving to all what they need at that time provided each we’re willing to work they could eat that all should work that it all increases so that you can give to all if they are willing to work but it should be done by law to ensure this group will not steal money but have to support others who joined in the future. They should but incase others do not everyone should work for themselves to seek to stock up on food that does not expire to last in some days of famine as even Joseph told the Egyptians to do.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟585,446.00
Faith
Christian
For those who think you can’t have money at all they are wrong as Jesus tells to give to the poor money for their needs. You are able to work to obtain possesions such as to grow your own food and sell it to provide for any of your immediate needs after you sell everything. One can stay awake at night in safe locations and sleep in day until you find shelter that I think others should give even though they don’t follow though they ought to live same to share among each other everything and if it is not provided can work for shelter.

Upvote 0