Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was studying the bible years ago a nagging question kept coming to mind. Who decided which books were worthy to be in the Bible? I noticed there were a lot of writings not included. Where did the book of Genesis come from? Why wasn't the Gospel of Thomas not in the bible? Since I know satan was running around in the world that day I wonder if some truths were left out. The Gospel of Thomas has helped my prayer life. Peace

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟162,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
L

Look into the oldest manuscript ever of the Bible.

The Ethiopian Bible.

Older than all the European versions.
What are you referring to? I know the Garima Gospels are dated to around 500-600 AD, but that's certainly after various other manuscripts we have. If we're talking the earliest "full" Bible manuscript, then Codex Vaticanus (Greek) predates it by over a century, and manuscripts of portions of it go back earlier (normally considered the earliest is Papyrus 52 from the second century, which contains a small portion of the Gospel of John).

I believe the Garima Gospels are the first fully illustrated manuscripts we have, though.

Upvote 0

Apple Sky

In Sight Like Unto An Emerald
Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟36,301.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some of the lost books.

lost books of the bible.PNG

a lost.PNG

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I am currently listening to the lost books of the Bible and am wondering if anyone here has as well. I’d like to preface this with saying I am not of the Christian faith. This is for historical research for myself. Looking at the Bible as a historical text. Piecing together the parts that were once removed to get the full picture before King James decided for the world really what everyone should and shouldn’t know, respectively. I mean absolutely no disrespect to Anyone. Just looking for others who may be interested in the same. Thank you!
The canon of scripture was settled long before King James was born. The "lost books" are excluded by protestant denominations because they are not considered divinely inspired. You can get Bibles that include the apocrypha, books that the KJV excluded.

Upvote 0