Burns, Oregon
✟7,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I am currently listening to the lost books of the Bible and am wondering if anyone here has as well. I’d like to preface this with saying I am not of the Christian faith. This is for historical research for myself. Looking at the Bible as a historical text. Piecing together the parts that were once removed to get the full picture before King James decided for the world really what everyone should and shouldn’t know, respectively. I mean absolutely no disrespect to Anyone. Just looking for others who may be interested in the same. Thank you!

Reactions: YorkieGal

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am currently listening to the lost books of the Bible and am wondering if anyone here has as well. I’d like to preface this with saying I am not of the Christian faith. This is for historical research for myself. Looking at the Bible as a historical text. Piecing together the parts that were once removed to get the full picture before King James decided for the world really what everyone should and shouldn’t know, respectively. I mean absolutely no disrespect to Anyone. Just looking for others who may be interested in the same. Thank you!
I would post this in Christian History. There is a lot of history that went into how various books were decided to be canonical and the 1611 KJV included the books known as the Apocrypha or Deuterocanonical.

Upvote 0

BibleHistoria

Aug 30, 2023
Burns, Oregon
✟7,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I would post this in Christian History. There is a lot of history that went into how various books were decided to be canonical and the 1611 KJV included the books known as the Apocrypha or Deuterocanonical.
I can’t post there…It’s Christian’s only…I had intended to post there until I saw that…so this was as close as I could find. Though I am incredibly grateful for the add!! I am aware of the reasons for why certain books were used in the Bible. I’m more looking for someone who is interested in discussing the actual books and the information that these books add to the Bible stories themselves if that makes sense? And how they give a more complete picture. Also adding to more of the reason as to WHY they were kept out of the Bible.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟327,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by lost books of the bible. Whether you're looking at the book of Jasher, or Paul's letter to Laodicea, or the long ending of Acts, or even gnostic gospels. There's long list of books and what not that people would call the lost books of the bible. But King James didn't have much to do with it at all. Maybe if you could give us a little more information on what you're listening to.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,917,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Welcome to CF!

The 66 books of the King James Bible is what God painstakingly gave us for today.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟783,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The books that King James omitted from his Authorized version are not really lost, they are still in the Catholic versions of the Bible. That said there are a lot of books that were not included for a lot of reasons. It is an interesting conversation to be sure, but maybe you can narrow down what you are looking at for more information? We could go on for days about the Gnostic books, the Jewish books not included in the Hebrew Scriptures, the books that are still "missing" but referenced in the agreed canon, or just books included in some versions but not others.

Reactions: DerbyHist2
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,248,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Welcome to CF!

The 66 books of the King James Bible is what God painstakingly gave us for today.
Didn't the KJV have all of the canonical books before some of them got deleted in later printings?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,917,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Didn't the KJV have all of the canonical books before some of them got deleted in later printings?

Yes.

The King James Bible had the 66 books, plus 14 books that were included for historical value only.

But those 14 books:
  1. Include doctrines that are at odds with the Bible, such as prayers for the dead and sinless perfection.
  2. Teaches immoral practices, such as lying, suicide, assassination and magical incantations.
Thus they were excluded.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,248,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes.

The King James Bible had the 66 books, plus 14 books that were included for historical value only.

But those 14 books:
  1. Include doctrines that are at odds with the Bible, such as prayers for the dead and sinless perfection.
  2. Teaches immoral practices, such as lying, suicide, assassination and magical incantations.
Thus they were excluded.
Just saying that the '66 books of the KJV' is a bit anachronistic. Also the idea that Biblical books be excluded because they are 'at odds with the Bible' seems interesting.

I am still not sure what the OP means by 'lost books', whether these are the seven books Catholic and Orthodox Bibles have, or some other books.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,917,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟913,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well for starters, there are no " lost" books from the bible however, there are many writings that did not make it in. If you are willing, find out why because nothing was removed, they were merely unworthy.
Blessings.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes. The Deuteros were included pretty much all the way up until modern printers decided to cut them out to save money for mass editions. However, trying to find Bibles with the EO or Ethopian canons is a rough go. Heck even some the Greek Orthodox liturgical books will have the LXX expanded readings in Greek but not in English.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟217,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, they're really interesting. I think it should be noted Christians are well-aware of their existence, & any narrative that tries to paint it as a group of shadowy figures throwing out books left & right behind locked doors 300 years after the fact, & that Christians today are dumb to their existence, is fantasy. For example, every few years the news cycle prints an article 'Book Deleted from the Bible FOUND' - although it's always a book Christians s/ be aware of.

I've been meaning to pick up a couple books about them, Have only read articles about them, & read a few of them in their entirety, but working on spiritual growth at the moment, tho, it's definitely a fascinating topic.

Also, OP, we have ancient manuscripts that predate King James. The KJV is a good translation, but we have sources older than that, & Christians were aware of the 'deleted' books well-before him, so I find it misleading or misinformed to say he decided what we should know & shouldn't know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

You say you want a revolution? **cough**
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

.......... the parts that were "removed"? How can they have been removed if they were never published as an arranged, authorized anthology in the first place?

If I were you, I'd temporarily set aside the Lost books of the Bible and study Historiography and the Philosophy of History. Then, go back and try again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am interested and this is why I'm seeking the Tyndale, Coverdale and Geneva bibles. If you come across anything that's not digital, let me know and I'll do the same!

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
L
I am interested and this is why I'm seeking the Tyndale, Coverdale and Geneva bibles. If you come across anything that's not digital, let me know and I'll do the same!
Look into the oldest manuscript ever of the Bible.

The Ethiopian Bible.

Older than all the European versions.

Reactions: YorkieGal
Upvote 0