WI
✟106,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
AI has excellent tools for cross-referencing and various types of (theological, linguistic etc) juxtapositions.
Yep. And AI can be used to give both a theological and secular perspective on things, as well as pull relevant verses, such as this little chat I had with Mistral 7B about diplomacy. By the way, my LG front loader washing machine even has AI. Of course, it is Korean technology. Koreans love their tech, which is pretty cool. My washer can not talk to me though, but it can sense loads and adjust wash times and agitation cycle speeds and lengths.

1714007506526.png

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟222,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is an "AI god" on horizon?
No. AI is software. It runs on a computer. It's a series of instructions written to make the computer do specific things.
There are a growing number of adherents in this evolving AI religion.
Those people are generically referred to as "nincompoops".

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's how it was designed. It's still instructions running on a computer, end of.
Yeah, that is true. AI is still made up of instructions running on a computer, binary 0s and 1s.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟222,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Daniel 8:23 (KJV)

And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full,
a king of fierce countenance, and [understanding dark sentences], shall stand up.
Is this supposed to refer to some software?
The Gesenius’ Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon defines “dark sentences” as “twisted,
involved, subtlety, fraud, enigma.”
Well Lord knows you can't write twisted, subtle, fraudulent, or enigmatic stuff without the help of some software.
A strongman in the end times grasps things that are obscure , things you
can’t understand without explanation or interpretation,
Sounds like it's talking about engineers. <Laugh>

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟222,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By the way, my LG front loader washing machine even has AI. Of course, it is Korean technology. Koreans love their tech, which is pretty cool. My washer can not talk to me though, but it can sense loads and adjust wash times and agitation cycle speeds and lengths.
My wife's rice cooker appears to have a pretty good vocabulary, and speaks pretty natural sounding Korean. Our daughter has what may be the same LG washer and dryer you're on about, but they speak English. Best I can tell the software is just based on what they used to call "fuzzy logic", that lends itself to respond to a wide variety of different situations in its operating environment. No real "AI" there, just a cool synthesized voice, and a hardware/software combo that talks as well as setting visual status indicators. Very cool,but under the hood it's still pretty mundane stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My wife's rice cooker appears to have a pretty good vocabulary, and speaks pretty natural sounding Korean. Our daughter has what may be the same LG washer and dryer you're on about, but they speak English. Best I can tell the software is just based on what they used to call "fuzzy logic", that lends itself to respond to a wide variety of different situations in its operating environment. No real "AI" there, just a cool synthesized voice, and a hardware/software combo that talks as well as setting visual status indicators. Very cool,but under the hood it's still pretty mundane stuff.
Yeah, some AI is weak (fuzzy logic wiki), such as the "AI" inside of my washer compared to LLM (large language models, link) such as ChatGPT or Mistral 7B. My washer is the LG Washtower. By the way, Koreans are good looking, but we can stick to the topic of AI.

Left: Yoon Hyun-min / 윤현민 (1985)
Right: Kim Si-Eun / 김시은 (1999)

1714192053547.jpeg
1714192190130.jpeg

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

You say you want a revolution? **cough**
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,140,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rise of the 'AI god'

Navigating the growing Artificial Intelligence conundrum from a Christian perspective.

Is an "AI god" on horizon? There are a growing number of adherents in this evolving AI religion.

Click on the link and read but be prepared for a surprise towards the end of this essay.

Obviously, A.I. is going to be, and will continue to be, a formidable tool in the hands of various people ... ... ... and I'm sure the reports made with its assistance won't just be for a minority.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Obviously, A.I. is going to be, and will continue to be, a formidable tool in the hands of various people ... ... ... and I'm sure the reports made with its assistance won't just be for a minority.
Agreed. This is why AI must be open source, so that people know how the code works, and can collaborate on making AI beneficial to everyone. I run a partially open source AI, as I have said before. Artificial Intelligence is similar to nuclear energy. A nuclear power plant can be used to power a city of 100,000. But, a nuclear explosion could be used to level a city of 100,000.

Yes, I know some people do not like the World Economic Forum, but the group has a good article on why AI should be open source: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2023/12/ai-regulation-open-source/

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,140,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alex, maybe I've just watched too many sci-fi flix and read too many dystopian novels, but whether A.I. is open source or not won't, I think, make much difference as to how its used going into the future ... As you can see by a thread I made several years ago, I'm already leaning in a certain direction with my interpretations about its influence and social significance...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alex, maybe I've just watched too many sci-fi flix and read too many dystopian novels, but whether A.I. is open source or not won't, I think, make much difference as to how its used going into the future ... As you can see by a thread I made several years ago, I'm already leaning in a certain direction with my interpretations about its influence and social significance...

Yeah, I think you might have been too much into dystopian fiction. Yes, AI will be used for bad, but a lot of AI will be used for good. Overall, AI might worsen lives for some people, and make lives better for others, creating a larger division potentially under the worst case scenario.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,140,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I think you might have been too much into dystopian fiction. Yes, AI will be used for bad, but a lot of AI will be used for good. Overall, AI might worsen lives for some people, and make lives better for others, creating a larger division potentially under the worst case scenario.

Oh, I don't know, Alex. As a philosopher, keep in mind too that I mainly read and study non-fiction, and where A.I. is concerned, I think we need to hear not only the Ray Kurzweils of the world, but also the Bill Joys, too ...

... at the end of the day, I don't trust any Technocracy. Period.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I don't know, Alex. As a philosopher, keep in mind too that I mainly read and study non-fiction, and where A.I. is concerned, I think we need to hear not only the Ray Kurzweils of the world, but also the Bill Joys, too ...

Well, we can agree to disagree. I do not trust any technocracy as well. But everything can be good or evil. God bless. Hey, we agree on plenty of other things, though.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,140,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, we can agree to disagree. I do not trust any technocracy as well. But everything can be good or evil. God bless. Hey, we agree on plenty of other things, though.

Yes, many things can be used for good or evil. But if we live in a fallen world, one that is inclined to work against God/Christ, I'm more of the mind that it won't be one that will only be used for good, even if the intent is claimed to be for the sake of beneficence. Even good people can be tempted to overstep their ethical boundaries for the sake of what seems to be a "good political idea."

And yes, I do think that A.I. is more than, and will always be more than, merely a tool of technology. It will always be a political tool as well.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, many things can be used for good or evil. But if we live in a fallen world, one that is inclined to work against God/Christ, I'm more of the mind that it won't be one that will only be used for good, even if the intent is claimed to be for the sake of beneficence. Even good people can be tempted to overstep their ethical boundaries for the sake of what seems to be a "good political idea."

And yes, I do think that A.I. is more than, and will always be more than, merely a tool of technology. It will always be a political tool as well.
For me, I am afraid that the politicians will use AI to sway votes, for either the far-right, or far-left.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟222,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And in any case, AI does wjhat it's told to do. It's software, not Frankenstein's Monster. It doesn't want. It doesn't think. It doesn't believe. It doesn't feel. It does what its designers/writers make it do. It doesn't become self aware because there no self for it to be aware of. It isn't C3PO, or Commander Data, the Tin Woodman, M5, or SkyNet. Those are all esentially magical machine intelligences; in effect Mechanical Men. HAL 9000 may be ther nearest thing to a fictional AI, that went on a homicidal murder spree that was essentially due to a fairly frightening bug in its programming. and it was neutralized by the real-world expedient of turning it off.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And in any case, AI does wjhat it's told to do. It's software, not Frankenstein's Monster. It doesn't want. It doesn't think. It doesn't believe. It doesn't feel. It does what its designers/writers make it do. It doesn't become self aware because there no self for it to be aware of. It isn't C3PO, or Commander Data, the Tin Woodman, M5, or SkyNet. Those are all esentially magical machine intelligences; in effect Mechanical Men. HAL 9000 may be ther nearest thing to a fictional AI, that went on a homicidal murder spree that was essentially due to a fairly frightening bug in its programming. and it was neutralized by the real-world expedient of turning it off.
Agreed. We do not have ASI (sentient), or even AGI (general) yet.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,269,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

As Edward O. Wilson put it, we have Medieval institutions run by people with Paleolithic brains with godlike powers.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,269,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

It's true that AI will do what it's told, but the real danger with A.I is what human beings will do with it.

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟412,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well Lord knows you can't write twisted, subtle, fraudulent, or enigmatic stuff without the help of some software.

Sounds like it's talking about engineers. <Laugh>
AI Has Already Become a Master of Lies And Deception, Scientists Warn

Many artificial intelligence (AI) systems are already skilled at deceiving and manipulating humans – and this could ‘spiral’ in future, experts have warned.

Upvote 0