✟13,135.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Rise of the 'AI god'

Navigating the growing Artificial Intelligence conundrum from a Christian perspective.

Is an "AI god" on horizon? There are a growing number of adherents in this evolving AI religion.

Click on the link and read but be prepared for a surprise towards the end of this essay.

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟70,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was mildly surprised which is towards the end of that essay. However, I do like the conclusions that the author wrote after revealing the surprise. I do hope that ending conclusions was written by the human author instead of the ChatGPT AI.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rise of the 'AI god'

Navigating the growing Artificial Intelligence conundrum from a Christian perspective.

Is an "AI god" on horizon? There are a growing number of adherents in this evolving AI religion.

Click on the link and read but be prepared for a surprise towards the end of this essay.

I use AI for good purposes. This is an AI generated Bible study on Ephesians 4:31-32. I gave the AI the verse, and told it to summarize it. :) The AI is run privately (so on my own computer, not on some corporation's server), and takes 1 to 10 minutes to spit out an answer. Patience is a virtue, but I prefer open-weights (partially open source) private AI (Mistral 7B) over ChatGPT collecting my data.

1713836480810.png

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was mildly surprised which is towards the end of that essay. However, I do like the conclusions that the author wrote after revealing the surprise. I do hope that ending conclusions was written by the human author instead of the ChatGPT AI.
Yeah, I just read the article. That AI seems human like. :) The author could have released the article on April 1st, and fooled us, but he released it on April 23, 2024. He must be in a different time zone, cos it is April 22, 2024 here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Hare

Feb 11, 2024
Ampang
✟13,135.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The ending was written by the author.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟424,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, it is difficult to prove if something is AI or not nowadays.

Does this conversation sound human?

View attachment 346439
View attachment 346440

not sure, different levels of AI. Very talkative though maybe unusually and attention to detail, wow. it’s interesting to read about AI but I’m not going to trust it, because people largely can’t be trusted And the deceiver is at work. I do my own writing with the help of the Lord and I’m not super intelligent. I don’t need it. Maybe being less than perfect will be a sign of humanity. Man Has a form of godliness but denies the source. Their god is their belly. And other distinguishing feature that a ai god will have. But look it uses scripture to encourage our faith. I was taken in. It’s not the Holy Spirit inspired. It only knows what it’s been told. A fast shuffling of a mass of info That any pastor can do in real time.

That conversation said it should should do what we are toolazy to do, to make a super race or what? What will we ever really learn without repetition. Will we live as brains in a large beaker or crock? We must use our body’s to be fully human. God wants that in us. Is it only energy that is stopping us…

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
not sure, different levels of AI. Very talkative though maybe unusually and attention to detail, wow. it’s interesting to read about AI but I’m not going to trust it, because people largely can’t be trusted And the deceiver is at work. I do my own writing with the help of the Lord and I’m not super intelligent. I don’t need it. Maybe being less than perfect will be a sign of humanity. Man Has a form of godliness but denies the source. Their god is their belly. And other distinguishing feature that a ai god will have. But look it uses scripture to encourage our faith. I was taken in. It’s not the Holy Spirit inspired. It only knows what it’s been told. A fast shuffling of a mass of info That any pastor can do in real time.

That conversation said it should should do what we are toolazy to do, to make a super race or what? What will we ever really learn without repetition. Will we live as brains in a large beaker or crock? We must use our body’s to be fully human. God wants that in us. Is it only energy that is stopping us…
Well, AI is a tool, that can be used for good, or for evil. We should not use AI all the time, but it can help us with basic tasks. Not everything is demonic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It isn't difficult to prove images and text are produced by AI. They run it through a program and I have access to something similar. The Kate Middleton debacle is a recent example. The images were pulled because they knew they were fake. In most instances I can tell when someone is using AI in their writing. Humans speak differently and the tone is usually off. It's less than a science but a skill you develop when you write often or professionally. You learn their voice and that's what usually trips them up.

~bella

Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟412,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Daniel 8:23 (KJV)

And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full,
a king of fierce countenance, and [understanding dark sentences], shall stand up.

The Gesenius’ Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon defines “dark sentences” as “twisted,
involved, subtlety, fraud, enigma.”

A strongman in the end times grasps things that are obscure, things you
can’t understand without explanation or interpretation,

Reactions: The Hare
Upvote 0

The Hare

Feb 11, 2024
Ampang
✟13,135.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Daniel 8:23 (KJV)

And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full,
a king of fierce countenance, and [understanding dark sentences], shall stand up.

The Gesenius’ Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon defines “dark sentences” as “twisted,
involved, subtlety, fraud, enigma.”

A strongman in the end times grasps things that are obscure, things you
can’t understand without explanation or interpretation,
Intriguing. Daniel 8:20-22 refers to a king who will arise from the four splintered kingdoms of Alexander the Great. He will rule with demonic aid. While Daniel's vision is set in the End Times or Latter Days, I am wondering which of four kingdoms has a successor that will accomplish the following in the very near future, if it has not done so already?

9From one of these horns a little horn emerged and grew extensively toward the south and the east and toward the Beautiful Land. 10It grew as high as the host of heaven, and it cast down some of the host and some of the stars to the earth, and trampled them. 11It magnified itself, even to the Prince of the host; it removed His daily sacrifice and overthrew the place of His sanctuary. 12And in the rebellion,a the host and the daily sacrifice were given over to the horn, and it flung truth to the ground and prospered in whatever it did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟846,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think there are a couple problems w/this concern.

1. So long as we can form a general concept of how AI works and understand its source, there is no danger of our mistaking it for God (as generally understood in western/Abrahamic traditions). God has no source and is, ultimately, incomprehensible (the essence of God, in particular). For anyone tempted or fooled by AI, the appropriate response might be something like: If your god is comprehensible and has a source, it's not much of a god.

2. Unlike (1), this is an arguable point: consciousness is not something an algorithm, or AI in general, will ever enjoy. Like the supposed Hindu "turtles all the way down," AI is algorithms all the way down except it is not an infinite regress since it begins with human programmers.

At any rate, Searl's Chinese room thought experiment is useful on this account. The programs/algorithms don't understand what they are doing. AI does not know what it's like to be AI since it's not aware and conscious of its own experience, which it also doesn't have.

Why does that matter? We assume God is greater than us, and yet we have awareness/consciousness. We know ourselves, in the wide sense of having reflective experience and understanding of ourselves. Surely God knows that God exists through first hand, subject-like experience. At least, in the Christian tradition, God loves God's self, which is not possible without something like (but by far greater) self-awareness.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,269,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think there are a couple problems w/this concern.

1. So long as we can form a general concept of how AI works and understand its source, there is no danger of our mistaking it for God (as generally understood in western/Abrahamic traditions). God has no source and is, ultimately, incomprehensible (the essence of God, in particular). For anyone tempted or fooled by AI, the appropriate response might be something like: If your god is comprehensible and has a source, it's not much of a god.

2. Unlike (1), this is an arguable point: consciousness is not something an algorithm, or AI in general, will ever enjoy. Like the supposed Hindu "turtles all the way down," AI is algorithms all the way down except it is not an infinite regress since it begins with human programmers.

At any rate, Searl's Chinese room thought experiment is useful on this account. The programs/algorithms don't understand what they are doing. AI does not know what it's like to be AI since it's not aware and conscious of its own experience, which it also doesn't have.

Why does that matter? We assume God is greater than us, and yet we have awareness/consciousness. We know ourselves, in the wide sense of having reflective experience and understanding of ourselves. Surely God knows that God exists through first hand, subject-like experience. At least, in the Christian tradition, God loves God's self, which is not possible without something like (but by far greater) self-awareness.

That's a good point. Deep learning language models are not simulating human thought, much less consciousness, even though they can produce human-like responses and inferences. Nevertheless, they are useful and I could see using them to as tools for religious education, writing liturgy or sermons, etc.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟395,377.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I use AI for good purposes. This is an AI generated Bible study on Ephesians 4:31-32. I gave the AI the verse, and told it to summarize it. :) The AI is run privately (so on my own computer, not on some corporation's server), and takes 1 to 10 minutes to spit out an answer. Patience is a virtue, but I prefer open-weights (partially open source) private AI (Mistral 7B) over ChatGPT collecting my data.

View attachment 346435
So are you running your own AI system locally?
(If so on what / how hard was it to setup? )

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So are you running your own AI system locally?
(If so on what / how hard was it to setup? )
Yes, I am running Mistral 7B on my laptop using the Jan GUI (external link, free and open-source) interface. It runs on my CPU. :) The set up is easy, and there is a short video about how to set it up. Make sure your laptop has 16 GB of RAM. Mine has 8, and the AI runs abysmally slow, but I would rather sacrifice 5 minutes for a free, local and private AI compared to kowtowing to massive corporations and giving them my chat data.

Caucasian guy with beard explains locally run AI:

• Informative
Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0

The Hare

Feb 11, 2024
Ampang
✟13,135.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I am running Mistral 7B on my laptop using the Jan GUI (external link, free and open-source) interface. It runs on my CPU. :) The set up is easy, and there is a short video about how to set it up. Make sure your laptop has 16 GB of RAM. Mine has 8, and the AI runs abysmally slow, but I would rather sacrifice 5 minutes for a free, local and private AI compared to kowtowing to massive corporations and giving them my chat data.

Caucasian guy with beard explains locally run AI:
AI has excellent tools for cross-referencing and various types of (theological, linguistic etc) juxtapositions.

• Agree
Upvote 0