Feb 21, 2012
✟440,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Who would have thought that blocking the natural development of children would have significant lifelong consequences?

That study, and Professor Grossman's comments, bring into question the 'reversibility' of puberty blockers — a key claim of the trans campaigners who promote the drugs and say they 'pause' puberty and buy time for trans kids to make decisions about their gender.

I have to wonder if parents are ever told that these drugs are completely experimental and have never been used to treat "gender dysphoria"....and now they know, that long term use can sterilize children. Remarkable.

WPATH recommended this stuff...and that's why trans activists shouldn't be devising their own treatments.

Thoughts?

Edit-this study has yet to be peer reviewed.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,418.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ah, the Daily Mail (on-line version), reliably slanted to fit that paper's anti-woke agenda!

Having life-changing consequences is the purpose of these drugs.. Professor Grossman advocates a properly clinical approach. That is why the professor warns that should not be used routinely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟34,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who would have thought that blocking the natural development of children would have significant lifelong consequences?
It's common sense, when you try to change the course of nature you'll have side effects.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah, the Daily Mail (on-line version), reliably slanted to fit that paper's anti-woke agenda!

Having life-changing consequences is the purpose of these drugs.. Professor Grossman advocates a properly clinical approach. That is why the professor warns that should not be used routinely.
Having life ending or health-altering consequences should put on the brakes, especially for children who are still developing.

Adults can do any stupid thing they want, even cut off operable body parts...gee, no side effects there. Adult women have always been told to stay on mere birth control pills for the shortest time possible because of the risk of reproductive cancers. This is a much more potentially dangerous experiment - with growing children.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,418.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Having life ending or health-altering consequences should put on the brakes, especially for children who are still developing.

Adults can do any stupid thing they want, even cut off operable body parts...gee, no side effects there. Adult women have always been told to stay on mere birth control pills for the shortest time possible because of the risk of reproductive cancers. This is a much more potentially dangerous experiment - with growing children.
I agree that there is a potential for harm by getting it wrong. I think that is why Professor Grossman advocates a professional clinical approach. These are not sweeties to be handed out on the whim of an adolescent.

That is not the same as a ban.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟711,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree that there is a potential for harm by getting it wrong. I think that is why Professor Grossman advocates a professional clinical approach. These are not sweeties to be handed out on the whim of an adolescent.

That is not the same as a ban.
Agreed. But I think we will look at this as we now look at lobotomies for depression, once in the rear view mirror. We absolutely should not be doing surgery and drug experiments on children.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,418.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. But I think we will look at this as we now look at lobotomies for depression, once in the rear view mirror. We absolutely should not be doing surgery and drug experiments on children.
There has been a 'pause' in Scotland. We shall see what happens.

In general terms I disagree about your assertion about 'experiments on children'. There are times when procedures which have not gained full approval should be used, such as in cases where no other treatment has worked. I include so-called puberty blockers, whose purpose is to allow patients to make a more informed decision later.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There has been a 'pause' in Scotland. We shall see what happens.

In general terms I disagree about your assertion about 'experiments on children'. There are times when procedures which have not gained full approval should be used, such as in cases where no other treatment has worked. I include so-called puberty blockers, whose purpose is to allow patients to make a more informed decision later.
They have lasting side effects. They are not "easy to stop" as represented. The detransitioner lawsuits might enlighten you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Post them then.
Some detailed here: Here Come the Gender-Detransitioner Lawsuits

"Isabelle Ayala was 14 years old when she was committed to a hospital for suicidal thoughts. She met with a doctor, who she says claimed she met the criteria “to consider hormonal transition.” In a lawsuit filed by the law firm of Campbell Miller Payne PLLC, which is specializing in representing detransitioners, Ayala, now 20, says that instead of addressing her mental health needs, she was taken down a path of “gender-affirming medicalization.” She is suing her doctors and the American Academy of Pediatrics.

She’s not the only one. Luka Hein, who is represented by the Center for American Liberty, is suing health care providers at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. There currently appear to be nearly 10 lawsuits. But more are coming because many patients believe they were encouraged to take the gender-affirming medicalization route without being fully informed of all the life-long implications and negative consequences."

More cases detailed here:

The law firm’s website page listing active cases shows the four cases it is currently representing:

• Mosely v. Emerson, et al. (filed July 17, 2023, in North Carolina);
  • Aldaco v. Perry, et al. (filed July 21, 2023, in Texas);
  • Ulery v. Rafferty, et al. (filed October 20, 2023, in Rhode Island);
  • Ayala v. American Academy of Pediatrics (filed October 23 in Rhode Island).

There are more, but I don't have time today to track them all down.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,418.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Some detailed here: Here Come the Gender-Detransitioner Lawsuits

"Isabelle Ayala was 14 years old when she was committed to a hospital for suicidal thoughts. She met with a doctor, who she says claimed she met the criteria “to consider hormonal transition.” In a lawsuit filed by the law firm of Campbell Miller Payne PLLC, which is specializing in representing detransitioners, Ayala, now 20, says that instead of addressing her mental health needs, she was taken down a path of “gender-affirming medicalization.” She is suing her doctors and the American Academy of Pediatrics.

She’s not the only one. Luka Hein, who is represented by the Center for American Liberty, is suing health care providers at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. There currently appear to be nearly 10 lawsuits. But more are coming because many patients believe they were encouraged to take the gender-affirming medicalization route without being fully informed of all the life-long implications and negative consequences."

More cases detailed here:

The law firm’s website page listing active cases shows the four cases it is currently representing:

• Mosely v. Emerson, et al. (filed July 17, 2023, in North Carolina);
  • Aldaco v. Perry, et al. (filed July 21, 2023, in Texas);
  • Ulery v. Rafferty, et al. (filed October 20, 2023, in Rhode Island);
  • Ayala v. American Academy of Pediatrics (filed October 23 in Rhode Island).

There are more, but I don't have time today to track them all down.
These cases are all very recent. Have any reached a conclusion? Until they do they are merely allegations and not evidence in support of your claim.

• Agree
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,213,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Certain ones are intended "life changing alterations" the other ones are not.

One of the big ones they're looking into is impacts on bone density.
There are others

If it turns out the person wants to continue with affirming treatment, then the life-long drugs taken at that point can have a pretty substantial risk profile with regards to how they impact certain internal organs like the liver and cardiovascular health. (including elevated cholesterol and increased risk of blood clots)

And that's something that needs to be considered as well, as part of this whole risk calculation.

While the defense usually given is "for the quality of life improvement, it's worth allowing people to make those risk calculations for themselves", people need to consider that within the context of what we know about people in the 15-24 age range.

Despite the 18-24 subset technically being adults, when it comes to that 15-24 age range, regardless of whether or not not it's a person with gender dysphoria or just your average young person, risk considerations and "thinking about the long term" isn't typically the strong suit of people in that age range (especially with regards to considering health risks). Virtually no 15-20 year old is thinking about "increased risk of liver damage and blood clots when I'm 40". I've never heard a high school sophomore utter he words "I shouldn't eat that, I've got my cholesterol to think about".

If you ask me now, as an adult in their 40's, "do you want to smoke cigarettes", my answer would be a definitive "no". However, the 16 year old me thought it was an okay idea, and continued to smoke until I was in my mid-20's despite it having a label on the box saying "this can give you cancer" because it gave me some sort of "social connection" I was looking for and the threat of "these health risks could pop up when you're in your 50's" was so far down the road that it wasn't even a blip on my radar.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Children don't know what they are. They may regret it later on. They don't need to be treated like guinea pigs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Amen! We are going to look at trans surgery/hormone "therapy" the same way we looked at lobotomies. Makes me sick.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,418.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Children don't know what they are. They may regret it later on. They don't need to be treated like guinea pigs.
They are not being offered to children who are too young to understand. Here at least they are only offered to those young people whom the law accepts as responsible - over sixteens. In the UK a person can marry at sixteen, the age of consent.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
They are not being offered to children who are too young to understand. Here at least they are only offered to those young people whom the law accepts as responsible - over sixteens. In the UK a person can marry at sixteen, the age of consent.
Fine then. Still think 16 is far too young. The brain isn't mature until 25.

Upvote 0