United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Another excerpt from Judaism 101
"Conservative Jews usually use the word "synagogue," which is actually a Greek translation of Beit K'nesset and means "place of assembly" (it's related to the word "synod").

Reform Jews use the word "temple," because they consider every one of their meeting places to be equivalent to, or a replacement for, The Temple in Jerusalem.
SABER TRUTH TIGER
Here is more on the Jewish Synagogues in Jesus's day. I am not interested in modern synagogues. I am only interested in the synagogues of Jesus's day.

SYNAGOGUES IN JESUS DAY

Early Synagogues in the Galilee - UNESCO World Heritage Centre.

Synagogues of Jesus' Time

What did a Synagogue of Jesus' Time look like? | Bible Interp

Jesus in the Synagogue

The use of the word "temple" to describe modern houses of prayer offends some traditional Jews, because it trivializes the importance of The Temple (although in fairness, a synagogue was classically called a "little Temple"). The word "shul," on the other hand, is unfamiliar to many modern Jews. When in doubt, the word "synagogue" is the best bet, because everyone knows what it means, and I've never known anyone to be offended by it." end quote

What did Jesus call the house of prayer? His Father's house, the temple.
The synagogues were where the scriptures were read. They were places of study, and I believe they were lower local courts to try causes. The synagogue looks much different to day. they added that stuff to it. to say they "replaced the temple" is the first time I have heard them come out and just say it. I have been familiar with it described as "transferred".
SABER TRUTH TIGER
The apostle Paul declared the Law of Moses (not the oral Law) was taught in the synagogues every Sabbath:

As for Pharisaic tradtion, yes they did write it down, called it oral law. That is what the and Talmud is.
SABER TRUTH TIGER
Yes, I know this. But in Jesus's day it was not so. Only after the destruction of the Temple did the Pharisees and rabbis begin to gather written and oral laws into what later became known as the Talmud. There were also the Gemarists and there was the Mishna. The Gemarists were Jews well schooled in Jewish Law and adhered to what is taught in the Talmud. The Mishna is the oldest collection of Jewish oral laws, written sometime between the destruction of the Temple and its final form early in the third century CE.
They were the ultimate authority IN ROME, over the Jew's religion after the destruction of the temple.
SABER TRUTH TIGER
They may or may not have been the ultimate authority in Rome, but it doesn't matter. The Talmuds were not authoritative in Yahweh's eyes during the time of Jesus Christ. Yahweh inspired the Hebrew Scriptures, not the Mishna or Talmuds. You must keep this in mind. Yahweh nowhere recognizes the Talmud, anywhere in the Scriptures.
If the priesthood had received law from God's own mouth, why not write it down.
SABER TRUTH TIGER
Yes, IF the priesthood had received law from God's own mouth why not write it down? They didn't. Instead, they passed it on orally, for centuries. Finally, after the destruction of the Temple, they finally got around to writing it down. Like you said, if the priests had received the law from God's own mouth, why did they not write if down for centuries?
It was judgement from God on specific situations.
SABER TRUTH TIGER
And the oral law was passed down for centuries, orally, father to son. It was passed down by the Pharisees, orally, father to son. Why didn't they write it down if it was judgement from God on specific situations? Please list a couple of specific situations that was passed down orally that was judgement from God.
Why have a dispute get an answer from God on it and then have to do that over and over?
SABER TRUTH TIGER
Yes, why do it over and over? Why? Why didn't Yahweh inspire the Pharisee priests to write it down in the beginning when he first gave the Law? Why did he not inspire them to write it down IMMEDIATELY instead of centuries passing and then the Jews finally decided to write the Law down? Please provide your evidence that the oral Law was written down BEFORE Jesus walked the earth.
Just like Moses did with the men that could not eat Passover. It settled the issue. So now you know why a synagogue can be called a temple. One near me is called Temple Bethel.
SABER TRUTH TIGER
When Moses dealt with the men who could not eat Passover there was no written law at the time. The Law was written by Moses before he died and Moses incorporated this story into the written Law. Before Moses wrote the Law (Torah) there was no written Law, there was only oral Law, from Yahweh's MOUTH to the ears of Moses. Yahweh SPOKE the Law to Moses. However, in Jesus's day there was the written Torah that the Sadducees embraced. The Pharisees carried an oral tradition that began the year Israel left Egypt and there was no written record of this oral law found anywhere in Jewish writings prior to the end of the first century CE. In Jesus's day synagogues were not called Temples. Sorry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟203,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
SABER TRUTH TIGER
Here is more on the Jewish Synagogues in Jesus's day. I am not interested in modern synagogues. I am only interested in the synagogues of Jesus's day.

SYNAGOGUES IN JESUS DAY

Jesus in the Synagogue

SABER TRUTH TIGER
The apostle Paul declared the Law of Moses (not the oral Law) was taught in the synagogues every Sabbath:

SABER TRUTH TIGER
Yes, I know this. But in Jesus's day it was not so. Only after the destruction of the Temple did the Pharisees and rabbis begin to gather written and oral laws into what later became known as the Talmud. There were also the Gemarists and there was the Mishna. The Gemarists were Jews well schooled in Jewish Law and adhered to what is taught in the Talmud. The Mishna is the oldest collection of Jewish oral laws, written sometime between the destruction of the Temple and its final form early in the third century CE.

SABER TRUTH TIGER
They may or may not have been the ultimate authority in Rome, but it doesn't matter. The Talmuds were not authoritative in Yahweh's eyes during the time of Jesus Christ. Yahweh inspired the Hebrew Scriptures, not the Mishna or Talmuds. You must keep this in mind. Yahweh nowhere recognizes the Talmud, anywhere in the Scriptures.

SABER TRUTH TIGER
Yesm IF the priesthood had received law from God's own mouth why not write it down? They didn't. Instead, they passed it on orally, for centuries. Finally, after the destruction of the Temple, they finally got around to writing it down. Like you said, if the priests had received the law from God's own mouth, why did they not write if down for centuries?

SABER TRUTH TIGER
And the oral law was passed down for centuries, orally, father to son. It was passed down by the Pharisees, orally, father to son. Why didn't they write it down if it was judgement from God on specific situations? Please list a couple of specific situations that was passed down orally that was judgement from God.

SABER TRUTH TIGER
Yes, why do it over and over? Why? Why didn't Yahweh inspire the Pharisee priests to write it down in the beginning when he first gave the Law? Why did he not inspire them to write it down IMMEDIATELY instead of centuries passing and then the Jews finally write the Law down? Please provide your evidence that the oral Law was written down BEFORE Jesus walked the earth.

SABER TRUTH TIGER
When Moses dealt with the men who could not eat Passover there was no written law at the time. The Law was written by Moses before he died and Moses incorporated this story into the written Law. Before Moses wrote the Law (Torah) there was no written Law, there was only oral Law, from Yahweh's MOUTH to the ears of Moses. Yahweh SPOKE the Law to Moses. However, in Jesus's day there was the written Torah that the Sadducees embraced. The Pharisees carried an oral tradition that began the year Israel left Egypt and there was no written record of this oral law found anywhere in Jewish writings prior to the end of the first century CE.
SABER TRUTH TIGER

SYNAGOGUES IN JESUS DAY

Jesus in the Synagogue

SABER TRUTH TIGER

SABER TRUTH TIGER

SABER TRUTH TIGER

SABER TRUTH TIGER
Yesm IF the priesthood had received law from God's own mouth why not write it down? They didn't. Instead, they passed it on orally, for centuries. Finally, after the destruction of the Temple, they finally got around to writing it down. Like you said, if the priests had received the law from God's own mouth, why did they not write if down for centuries?

SABER TRUTH TIGER

SABER TRUTH TIGER
Yes, why do it over and over? Why? Why didn't Yahweh inspire the Pharisee priests to write it down in the beginning when he first gave the Law? Why did he not inspire them to write it down IMMEDIATELY instead of centuries passing and then the Jews finally write the Law down? Please provide your evidence that the oral Law was written down BEFORE Jesus walked the earth.

SABER TRUTH TIGER
When Moses dealt with the men who could not eat Passover there was no written law at the time. The Law was written by Moses before he died and Moses incorporated this story into the written Law. Before Moses wrote the Law (Torah) there was no written Law, there was only oral Law, from Yahweh's MOUTH to the ears of Moses. Yahweh SPOKE the Law to Moses. However, in Jesus's day there was the written Torah that the Sadducees embraced. The Pharisees carried an oral tradition that began the year Israel left Egypt and there was no written record of this oral law found anywhere in Jewish writings prior to the end of the first century CE.
I am sorry, I can't continue here. For some reason what I say is being misunderstood or something..

Upvote 0

Saber Truth Tiger

Freethinker
Site Supporter
May 7, 2016
North Carolina
✟102,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
`
The timing of the Last Day of the Feast of Tabernacles in John 7:37 to John 9:14, 16 shows that the crucifixion could not have been on Wednesday. I am assuming the story of the woman taken in adultery was not in the original text. If the *pericope adulterae* does not belong in the text then it is highly probable that the Last Day of the Feast fell on a weekly Sabbath, the 22nd day of Tishri. If the *pericope adulterae* does belong in the text then it is still difficult to arrive at a Wednesday crucifixion six months later.

John 7:37

In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

40 Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet.

41 Others said, This is the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee?

42 Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was?

43 So there was a division among the people because of him.

44 And some of them would have taken him; but no man laid hands on him.

45 Then came the officers to the chief priests and Pharisees; and they said unto them, Why have ye not brought him?

46 The officers answered, Never man spake like this man.

47 Then answered them the Pharisees, Are ye also deceived?

48 Have any of the rulers or of the Pharisees believed on him?

49 But this people who knoweth not the law are cursed.

50 Nicodemus saith unto them, (he that came to Jesus by night, being one of them,)

51 Doth our law judge any man, before it hear him, and know what he doeth?

52 They answered and said unto him, Art thou also of Galilee? Search, and look: for out of Galilee ariseth no prophet.

JOHN 8

12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

13 The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true.

14 Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go.

15 Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.

16 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.

17 It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.

18 I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.

19 Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.

20 These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as he taught in the temple: and no man laid hands on him; for his hour was not yet come.

21 Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come.

22 Then said the Jews, Will he kill himself? because he saith, Whither I go, ye cannot come.

23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.

24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

25 Then said they unto him, Who art thou? And Jesus saith unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning.

26 I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.

27 They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.

28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

30 As he spake these words, many believed on him.

31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?

34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.

36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

37 I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.

38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.

39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.

40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.

41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.

42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.

46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?

47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

48 Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?

49 Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me.

50 And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.

51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.

52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

53 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?

54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:

55 Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.

56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?

58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

9 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.

2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?

3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

5 As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

6 When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay,

7 And said unto him, Go, wash in the pool of Siloam, (which is by interpretation, Sent.) He went his way therefore, and washed, and came seeing.

8 The neighbours therefore, and they which before had seen him that he was blind, said, Is not this he that sat and begged?

9 Some said, This is he: others said, He is like him: but he said, I am he.

10 Therefore said they unto him, How were thine eyes opened?

11 He answered and said, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes, and said unto me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash: and I went and washed, and I received sight.

12 Then said they unto him, Where is he? He said, I know not.

13 They brought to the Pharisees him that aforetime was blind.

14 And it was the sabbath day when Jesus made the clay, and opened his eyes.

15 Then again the Pharisees also asked him how he had received his sight. He said unto them, He put clay upon mine eyes, and I washed, and do see.

16 Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them.

17 They say unto the blind man again, What sayest thou of him, that he hath opened thine eyes? He said, He is a prophet.

If John 7:53 through John 8:1-11 does not belong in the manuscripts that are translated in many Bibles the last day, the great day of the feast (John 7:37), was on a weekly Sabbath (John 9:14, 16). This would be the 22nd day of the seventh month (Leviticus 23:36). Assuming six months of 29.53 average days would be 177 days. Just 177 days later from Tishri 22 (a weekly Sabbath) would be the 22th of the first month (Nisan), a Monday. But the 14th day of the first month would be on a Sunday. That means Friday would be Nisan 12. So the crucifixion couldn’t have happened on Friday in this scenario.

But, if the crescent new moon was spotted a day late twice in that six month period then Friday would be Nisan 14. This would fit the Friday crucifixion theory.

On the other hand, if John 7:53 to 8:11 (the pericope adulterae) belongs in the text then Saturday would be the 23rd day of the seventh month and 177 days later would be 23rd day of the first month (Nisan) which would be a Monday, and the 14th of the first month would be Saturday, still not good enough for a Friday crucifixion. However, if only one new moon was spotted a day late in that six month period then Saturday would be the 15th day of the first month. which would support the Friday crucifixion view.

This works only if each month averaged 29.53 days after Tishri 23. Six months times 29.53 is 177 days. One hundred seventy-seven days after Saturday Tishri 23 would be Nisan 23, a Monday. That means Nisan 14 would be a Saturday, which is one date short of Saturday Nisan 15. This is approximate because the beginning of the months was determined by the spotting of the crescent new moon as the sun set in the west. If one of those new moons had been spotted a day late, then Nisan 15 would be a Sabbath and that would support a Friday crucifixion.

None of the scenarios offer proof of a Wednesday crucifixion so far.

However, if there was a leap year the year of the crucifixion, then 200 days after Tishri 22 would be on a Wednesday and the 15th of the first month. That means it would only take one late spotting of the new moon crescent to push Nisan 15 to a Thursday, sometime in late April. This would place the crucifixion on a Wednesday. But what year would it be?

If John 7:53 to John 8:1-11 does not belong in the texts.

Day of

Week Date Days after

Saturday Tishri 22 ----

Saturday Tishri 29 7

Saturday Heshvan 6 14

Saturday Heshvan 13 21

Saturday Heshvan 20 28

Saturday Heshvan 27 35

Saturday Kislev 5 42

Saturday Kislev 12 49

Saturday Kislev 19 56

Saturday Kislev 26 63

Saturday Tevet 3 70

Saturday Tevet 10 77

Saturday Tevet 17 84

Saturday Tevet 24 91

Saturday Shevat 2 98

Saturday Shevat 9 105

Saturday Shevat 16 112

Saturday Shevat 23 119

Saturday Shevat 30 126

Saturday Adar 7 133

Saturday Adar 14 140

Saturday Adar 21 147

Saturday Adar 28 154

Saturday Nisan 6 161

Saturday Nisan 13 168

Saturday Nisan 20 175

Monday Nisan 22 177

Saturday Nisan 27 182

Saturday Shevat 4 189

Saturday Shevat 11 196

Saturday Shevat 18 203

Using this list one can see if each month averaged 29.53 days then Saturday would be Nisan 13 and not Nisan 15, which doesn’t help either the Wednesday crucifixion theorists or the Friday crucifixion theorists. However, if the thin crescent of the new moon was spotted one day late twice in that six month period then Saturday would be Nisan 15 and that would be just the day that followed the Friday Nisan 14 crucifixion.

If the beginning of the count was Saturday Tishri 23 (when the pericope adulterae is accepted as part of the scriptures) then add one date to the chart above and you will see that Nisan 14 would be on Saturday. It would require only one late spotting of the crescent moon to make Saturday Nisan 15, the day after the crucifixion.

It is plain to see there is no chance of a Nisan 14 falling on a Wednesday. However, if the year Jesus was crucified was a leap year, and the countdown began on Tishri 23 then a Wednesday crucifixion is improbable as well.

Saturday Adar II 6 161

Saturday Adar II 13 168

Saturday Adar II 20 175

Monday Adar II 23 177

Saturday Adar II 27 182

Saturday Nisan 5 189

Saturday Nisan 12 196

Tuesday Nisan 15 199

So, if the year Jesus was crucified was a leap year, on a Wednesday, and Tishri 23 was the beginning of the countdown toward Nisan 15, then it is unlikely that there would be a Nisan 15 Thursday. However, if there were two late sightings of the crescent moon in the seven months since Tishri 23 then Thursday would be Nisan 15 and the Wednesday crucifixion would be possible.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟88,460.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yes He did. But the day wasn’t Sunday because God’s appointed His feasts by His calendar. People need to quit using the Julian/Gregorian calendar to fix dates of the feasts of God.
When was the Feast of the First Fruits according to the Hebrew calendar?

Upvote 0

Saber Truth Tiger

Freethinker
Site Supporter
May 7, 2016
North Carolina
✟102,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
When was the Feast of the First Fruits according to the Hebrew calendar?
Tony, I believe in the Sadducean method of reckoning the holy days and therefore I hold to the waving of the Omer on the day after the first weekly Sabbath following the Passover meal. The year Jesus died would make that day Sunday, the first of a 50-day countdown toward Pentecost (Shavuot).

Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0