✟88,460.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
During the Passover week, Lev 23:
10b you shall bring the sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest to the priest, 11and he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, so that you may be accepted. On the day after the Sabbath the priest shall wave it.
The Feast of First Fruits was observed on the day after the Sabbath during the Passover week, i.e., on Sunday. Jesus was resurrected on the Feast of the First Fruits.

Jesus alluded to it in John 12:24
Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.

Paul confirmed it in 1 Corinthians 15:
20 But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.

God instituted the Feast of the First Fruits in the OT to foreshadow Jesus' resurrection on Sunday.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟123,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

The Feast of First Fruits was observed on the day after the Sabbath during the Passover week, i.e., on Sunday. Jesus was resurrected on the Feast of the First Fruits.

God instituted the Feast of the First Fruits in the OT to foreshadow Jesus' resurrection on Sunday.
close ...but no guitar

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟123,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Sorry that I am slow. Can you explain further?
I didn’t say slow …I said close …very close ….maybe as close as 20 minutes.
I am just going to post this …something I posted previously. You don’t need to read all the dribble … You can skip down to the → DAYS

A Sign

Mat 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

There are many scripture (19) that give reference to Jesus being raised the third day …. but this account in Matthew ….. Jesus states that He would be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. That was the sign to the unbelieving scribes and Pharisees to whom He was speaking.

Whenever the term day or night is used singularly in the Bible it can mean all or part of a day or evening (night). But the term night (evening) and day together always indicates a 24 hour period. In Gen 1:5, 8,13,19,&23 …. God sets the standard for a full day… of which Jesus was fully aware of as noted in John 11:9.
There are those who try to qualify Jesus’s statement of 3 days and 3 nights to fit with traditional religious day... using reference to an idiom … The problem is --- they are trying to qualify man’s tradition to fit their belief …but it doesn’t work that way. God sets the standard for truth …not man! …..Man can be right and they can be wrong…. the only way to verify what man states…. is to check it with what God says. My personal belief…. the things I have learned … are irrelevant if they do not line up with the Word of God …and for me…. the Word is the final authority for Truth.

We can track the precise day that Jesus was crucified by counting forward or backward. Forward from John 12:1 or backward from the Passover (which is Nisan 14) or The feast of unleavened bread which was Nisan 15 ....at sunset of the 14th….. (as that is when the next day begins.)

Passover is the 14th.... but the Passover meal is eaten at the beginning of the 15th (evening). The feast of unleavened bread lasts for 7 days and the first day (Thursday 15th) and last day (Wednesday 21st) of the feast are high days …{that is not 4/20 with the devils lettuce } A high day is a special sabbath as dictated by God → Num 28:18 and Num 28:25 . A special sabbath is different from the weekly sabbath which falls on Saturday. A special sabbath would be like when Christmas (which is always celebrated on 12/25) fell on a Wednesday …it would a special sabbath …but does not negate the weekly sabbath on our Sunday. The special sabbath (high day) for the first day of the feast of unleavened bread (Thursday Nisan 15) is noted in John 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) …

Days

6 days before the Passover.

John 12:1 Then Jesus six days before the Passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom He raised from the dead.

We know from the Word that Passover was on the 14th of Nisan (formally called Abid)

Num 28:16 And in the fourteenth day of the first month is the Passover of the LORD.

17 And in the fifteenth day of this month is the feast: seven days shall unleavened bread be eaten.

DAYS

Thursday Nisan 8 -
six days before Passover.
John 12:1

Friday Nisan 9 - Jesus makes his first entry into Jerusalem (on an ass's colt.)

Mar 11:1-11 / Luk 19:29-44 / Jhn 12:12-19

Saturday Nisan 10 -
weekly sabbath / second entry into Jerusalem (ass “and” a colt) /the Passover lamb is selected

Mat 21:1-17 /Mar 11:12-19 / Luk 19:45 & 46

((( More details on the Two entries into Jerusalem posted on CF )))

Sunday Nisan 11 - first day of the week /Jesus taught in Temple confronted by Sadducees, Pharisees & Herodians.

Mat 21:18 - 26:5 / Mar 11:20 - 14:2 / Luk 20:1 - 22:2

Monday Nisan 12 – Dinner at Simon the Leper / Jesus sends Peter & John to secure a place for Passover
Mat 26:6-19 / Mar 14:3-16 / Luk 22:3-13

Tuesday Nisan 13 – Last supper (not Passover) / garden of Gethsemane / Jesus taken by solders possibly around 9 or 10 pm…. interrogated and tortured throughout the night and day of the 13th.

Mat 26:20 - 27:31a / Mar 14:17 - 15:20a / Luk 22:14 - 23:25 / Jhn 13:1-19a

Wednesday Nisan 14
– Interrogation and torture continued late into the evening of the 14 and crucified at 9am on the morning of the 14th (nearly 40 hours of interrogation and torture.)

Jesus gave His life up at 3 pm (our time). He was wrapped in a linen by Joseph of Arimathea and placed in the tomb provided by Joseph. Shortly afterwards (sometime before sunset) Nicodemus came with the myrrh and aloes and did the grave wrappings on Jesus.

Mat 27:31b-61 / Mar 15:20b-47 / Luk 23:26-55 / Jhn 19:16b-42

Thursday Nisan 15 - High day special sabbath. (Unleavened bread) No work to be done

Mat 27:62-66

Friday Nisan 16 women buy the spices to perform proper burial “unaware of Nicodemus’s prior actions”.

Mar 16:1 / Luk 23:56a

Saturday Nisan 17
weekly sabbath No work to be done God raises Jesus sometime before sunset 72 hours after being placed in tomb.

Mat 28:1-4 / Luk 23:56b

Notation on Nisan 17:

Mat 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn “toward the first” of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

The word dawn is confusing…. the Greek word is epiphōskō used biblically of dusk. (The same word is used in Luk 23:54 for"drew on") the women came to see = (theōreō) gaze upon, observe.

Sunday Nisan 18 - First day of the week Mary sees Jesus/ First wave offerings

Mat 28:5-15 / Mar 16:2-14 / Luk 24:1-45 / Jhn 20:1-24

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟88,460.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn’t say slow …I said close …very close ….maybe as close as 20 minutes.
I am just going to post this …something I posted previously. You don’t need to read all the dribble … You can skip down to the → DAYS

A Sign

Mat 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

There are many scripture (19) that give reference to Jesus being raised the third day …. but this account in Matthew ….. Jesus states that He would be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. That was the sign to the unbelieving scribes and Pharisees to whom He was speaking.

Whenever the term day or night is used singularly in the Bible it can mean all or part of a day or evening (night). But the term night (evening) and day together always indicates a 24 hour period. In Gen 1:5, 8,13,19,&23 …. God sets the standard for a full day… of which Jesus was fully aware of as noted in John 11:9.
There are those who try to qualify Jesus’s statement of 3 days and 3 nights to fit with traditional religious day... using reference to an idiom … The problem is --- they are trying to qualify man’s tradition to fit their belief …but it doesn’t work that way. God sets the standard for truth …not man! …..Man can be right and they can be wrong…. the only way to verify what man states…. is to check it with what God says. My personal belief…. the things I have learned … are irrelevant if they do not line up with the Word of God …and for me…. the Word is the final authority for Truth.

We can track the precise day that Jesus was crucified by counting forward or backward. Forward from John 12:1 or backward from the Passover (which is Nisan 14) or The feast of unleavened bread which was Nisan 15 ....at sunset of the 14th….. (as that is when the next day begins.)

Passover is the 14th.... but the Passover meal is eaten at the beginning of the 15th (evening). The feast of unleavened bread lasts for 7 days and the first day (Thursday 15th) and last day (Wednesday 21st) of the feast are high days …{that is not 4/20 with the devils lettuce } A high day is a special sabbath as dictated by God → Num 28:18 and Num 28:25 . A special sabbath is different from the weekly sabbath which falls on Saturday. A special sabbath would be like when Christmas (which is always celebrated on 12/25) fell on a Wednesday …it would a special sabbath …but does not negate the weekly sabbath on our Sunday. The special sabbath (high day) for the first day of the feast of unleavened bread (Thursday Nisan 15) is noted in John 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) …

Days

6 days before the Passover.

John 12:1 Then Jesus six days before the Passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom He raised from the dead.

We know from the Word that Passover was on the 14th of Nisan (formally called Abid)

Num 28:16 And in the fourteenth day of the first month is the Passover of the LORD.

17 And in the fifteenth day of this month is the feast: seven days shall unleavened bread be eaten.

DAYS

Thursday Nisan 8 -
six days before Passover.
John 12:1

Friday Nisan 9 - Jesus makes his first entry into Jerusalem (on an ass's colt.)

Mar 11:1-11 / Luk 19:29-44 / Jhn 12:12-19

Saturday Nisan 10 -
weekly sabbath / second entry into Jerusalem (ass “and” a colt) /the Passover lamb is selected

Mat 21:1-17 /Mar 11:12-19 / Luk 19:45 & 46

Sunday Nisan 11 - first day of the week /Jesus taught in Temple confronted by Sadducees, Pharisees & Herodians.

Mat 21:18 - 26:5 / Mar 11:20 - 14:2 / Luk 20:1 - 22:2

Monday Nisan 12 – Dinner at Simon the Leper / Jesus sends Peter & John to secure a place for Passover
Mat 26:6-19 / Mar 14:3-16 / Luk 22:3-13

Tuesday Nisan 13 – Last supper (not Passover) / garden of Gethsemane / Jesus taken by solders possibly around 9 or 10 pm…. interrogated and tortured throughout the night and day of the 13th.

Mat 26:20 - 27:31a / Mar 14:17 - 15:20a / Luk 22:14 - 23:25 / Jhn 13:1-19a

Wednesday Nisan 14
– Interrogation and torture continued late into the evening of the 14 and crucified at 9am on the morning of the 14th (nearly 40 hours of interrogation and torture.)

Jesus gave His life up at 3 pm (our time). He was wrapped in a linen by Joseph of Arimathea and placed in the tomb provided by Joseph. Shortly afterwards (sometime before sunset) Nicodemus came with the myrrh and aloes and did the grave wrappings on Jesus.

Mat 27:31b-61 / Mar 15:20b-47 / Luk 23:26-55 / Jhn 19:16b-42

Thursday Nisan 15 - High day special sabbath. (Unleavened bread) No work to be done

Mat 27:62-66

Friday Nisan 16 women buy the spices to perform proper burial “unaware of Nicodemus’s prior actions”.

Mar 16:1 / Luk 23:56a

Saturday Nisan 17
weekly sabbath No work to be done God raises Jesus sometime before sunset 72 hours after being placed in tomb.

Mat 28:1-4 / Luk 23:56b

Notation on Nisan 17:

Sunday Nisan 18 - First day of the week Mary sees Jesus/ First wave offerings

Mat 28:5-15 / Mar 16:2-14 / Luk 24:1-45 / Jhn 20:1-24
I am sorry. All this is just beyond my ability to process logically.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟203,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I believe you are mistaken. Firstfruits is not a feast. The feast is unleavened bread which feast is seven days.
The "day of firstfruits" concerns which "day" in which the specific offering to be brought during the feast of unleavened bread.
Lev 23:
5 In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD’S passover.
6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.
7 In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
8 But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

The 15th is the first day of the feast. A sabbath by calender date.
Lev 23:10 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest:
11 And he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it.

The 16th is the second day of the feast of unleavened, the day they bring a sheaf of firstfruits. The day of firstfruits, the Feast is unleavened bread.

It is also the beginning of another count..of days and weeks ( aka Sabbaths)
A count of subsequent firstripe of the crops in the field throught these weeks. Each crop having their first ripe.

15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:
16 Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the LORD.

The 50th day the morrow after the seventh week, is Pentecost. The feast of weeks

Calling Nisan 16 the feast of firstfruits has gained popularity in Messianic teaching. The day of firstfruits occurs on the second day of the feast of unleavened bread, and is the first day of the days and weeks until pentecost.

Jesus being resurrected on the day the firstfuit offering, is also the first day of the weeks, the second day of passover. The calender days are from night to night. The feast of unleavened bread is evening to evening Parts of calendar days, and the days with regards to sacrifices, are morning to morning. Also parts of calender days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saber Truth Tiger

Freethinker
Site Supporter
May 7, 2016
North Carolina
✟102,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe you are mistaken. Firstfruits is not a feast. The feast is unleavened bread which feast is seven days.
The "day of firstfruits" concerns which "day" in which the specific offering to be brought during the feast of unleavened bread.
Lev 23:
5 In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD’S passover.
6 And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.
7 In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
8 But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

The 15th is the first day of the feast. A sabbath by calender date.
Lev 23:10 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest:
11 And he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it.

The 16th is the second day of the feast of unleavened, the day they bring a sheaf of firstfruits. The day of firstfruits, the Feast is unleavened bread.
SABER TRUTH TIGER
The teaching that the second day of unleavened bread is the day to wave the Omer is a false teaching, and it is deeply rooted in Jewish tradition dating back centuries. The Nisan 16 waving of the Omer, as the Pharisees and the rabbis practiced, was based on the belief Nisan 15 was a Sabbath. It isn't, not if you believe and follow the Hebrew Scriptures.

Below there is a link to my website and I cover this in great detail, exposing the Saturday morning pre=dawn resurrection as a false teaching and exposing the Nisan 15 is a Sabbath myth. Jesus did not rise from the dead Saturday morning before sunrise as some on this forum have claimed and Jesus was not crucified on a Wednesday or a Thursday.
It is also the beginning of another count..of days and weeks ( aka Sabbaths)
A count of subsequent firstripe of the crops in the field throught these weeks. Each crop having their first ripe.

15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:
SABER TRUTH TIGER
The Sabbath spoken of here is the weekly Sabbath, not the so-called Nisan 15 Sabbath.
16 Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the LORD.
t
The 50th day the morrow after the seventh week, is Pentecost. The feast of weeks
The fiftieth day would fall on a Sunday. The count begins on a Sunday, the day after the weekly Sabbath of Passover, and ends on a Sunday.
Calling Nisan 16 the feast of firstfruits has gained popularity in Messianic teaching. The day of firstfruits occurs on the second day of the feast of unleavened bread, and is the first day of the days and weeks until pentecost.

Jesus being resurrected on the day the firstfuit offering, is also the first day of the weeks, the second day of passover. The calender days are from night to night. The feast of unleavened bread is evening to evening Parts of calendar days, and the days with regards to sacrifices, are morning to morning. Also parts of calender days.
I have responded to this in the following link:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saber Truth Tiger

Freethinker
Site Supporter
May 7, 2016
North Carolina
✟102,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟203,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Sure, if you like, you can call it the festival or the day of the firstfruits. Others call it the Feast of the First Fruits.
I am just letting you know the "feast" is unleavened bread (also called Passover among Jew's). The second day of the feast is the day of firstfruits. The feast of firstfruits is Pentecost when the firstfruits (firstripe) have been harvested from all the species have been brought in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟203,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
SABER TRUTH TIGER
The teaching that the second day of unleavened bread is the day to wave the Omer is a false teaching, and it is deeply rooted in Jewish tradition dating back centuries. The Nisan 16 waving of the Omer, as the Pharisees and the rabbis practiced, was based on the belief Nisan 15 was a Sabbath. It isn't, not if you believe and follow the Hebrew Scriptures.

Below there is a link to my website and I cover this in great detail, exposing the Saturday morning pre=dawn resurrection as a false teaching and exposing the Nisan 15 is a Sabbath myth. Jesus did not rise from the dead Saturday morning before sunrise as some on this forum have claimed and Jesus was not crucified on a Wednesday or a Thursday.

SABER TRUTH TIGER
The Sabbath spoken of here is the weekly Sabbath, not the so-called Nisan 15 Sabbath.

The fiftieth day would fall on a Sunday. The count begins on a Sunday, the day after the weekly Sabbath of Passover, and ends on a Sunday.

I have responded to this in the following link:

I am not arguing over which day the the firstfruit of the wheat harvest is brought. I am well aware the various sects argued over which day the Omer count fell.
In the Greek it says seven weeks, not Sabbaths

Upvote 0

Saber Truth Tiger

Freethinker
Site Supporter
May 7, 2016
North Carolina
✟102,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not arguing over which day the the firstfruit of the wheat harvest is brought. I am well aware the various sects argued over which day the Omer count fell.
In the Greek it says seven weeks, not Sabbaths
The Hebrew has the correct rendering. The Septuagint is a incorrect translation. That is what causes so much confusion on the matter. The Hebrew Scriptures were inspired by Yahweh. The LXX interprets Sabbath as Week so they could hold to the false teaching that Nisan 15 is a Sabbath.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟203,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The Hebrew has the correct rendering.
The Pharisees used the Greek to support their count of the Omer.
The Septuagint is a incorrect translation. That is what causes so much confusion on the matter. The Hebrew Scriptures were inspired by Yahweh. The LXX interprets Sabbath as Week so they could hold to the false teaching that Nisan 15 is a Sabbath.
No Actually they use the word Sabbaton to determine the count. The morrow of the Sabbaton, and to begin the count of weeks, for seven weeks (epta ebdomadas)

Upvote 0

Saber Truth Tiger

Freethinker
Site Supporter
May 7, 2016
North Carolina
✟102,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
The Pharisees used the Greek to support their count of the Omer.

No Actually they use the word Sabbaton to determine the count. The morrow of the Sabbaton, and to begin the count of weeks, for seven weeks (epta ebdomadas)
The day AFTER the first weekly Sabbath in Passover weekend is Sunday, the first day of the week. The following Sabbath is not only the seventh day of the 50-day count toward Shavuot, but the first of the seven Sabbaths counted down toward Shavuot. The day after the seventh Sabbath is Sunday, the 50th day, the day of Pentecost (meaning 50th day). I am following the English translation of the Hebrew text in the KJV, NASB 1995, ESV and others. The Pharisees are in error on the count. They refuse to use the Hebrew instead they use an erroneous interpretation (not a translation) of the Hebrew translation into Greek.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟203,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The day AFTER the first weekly Sabbath in Passover weekend is Sunday, the first day of the week.
It is a count of WEEKS, in the Greek. Judaism in the time of Jesus followed the Pharisaic calender count.
The following Sabbath is not only the seventh day of the 50-day count toward Shavuot, but the first of the seven Sabbaths counted down toward Shavuot. The day after the seventh Sabbath is Sunday, the 50th day, the day of Pentecost (meaning 50th day). I am following the English translation of the Hebrew text in the KJV, NASB 1995, ESV and others.
Only if you follow the Sadducees count otherwise it began the second day of the feast of unleavened bread. Josephus testifies it was the 16th day of the month.

Upvote 0

Saber Truth Tiger

Freethinker
Site Supporter
May 7, 2016
North Carolina
✟102,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
It is a count of WEEKS, in the Greek. Judaism in the time of Jesus followed the Pharisaic calender count.
SABER TRUTH TIGER
It is a count of SABBATHS, in the Hebrew. Judaism followed the Pharisaic calendar but Jesus and his disciples did not follow the erroneous Pharisaic calendar. They followed the Hebrew Calendar as Yahweh had directed them. Jesus died on a Friday and the next day was Saturday, Nisan 15 and the day AFTER that, was Sunday, the waving of the Omer and the resurrection of Christ. Do you really believe Yahweh would inspire Moses in writing the Hebrew and Sadducean reckoning of the holy days only to inspire Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John to recognize the erroneous Pharisee reckoning of the holy days? Besides, no where in the Christian Greek Scriptures is Nisan 15 called a Sabbath except when it fell on the weekly Sabbath as per John 19:14, 31.

Just consider this: The Jewish people who followed the Pharisee reckoning of the holy days ended up celebrating the right day of the month the weekend Jesus died. The weekend Jesus died just happened to occur when both Pharisee reckoning and Sadducee reckoning coincided. What a marvelous creator we have! The whole Jewish nation, Sadducee and Pharisee, celebrated Nisan 16 together!
Only if you follow the Sadducees count otherwise it began the second day of the feast of unleavened bread. Josephus testifies it was the 16th day of the month.
SABER TRUTH TIGER
Josephus followed the erroneous Pharisee view. So did Philo. Josephus and Philo and the rabbis are not inspired by Yahweh. I recognize the Hebrew translation and its Sadduceean reckoning of the Omer. You can follow Josephus, Philo, the Pharisees, and the rabbis if you want. That is your right. Prove to me that Nisan 15 is a Sabbath using the Hebrew Scriptures.

It's also possible that the Sadducees actually controlled Temple worship when Jesus walked the earth as opposed to the Pharisees. I am not certain of this, but I am currently studying on the matter. It seems to indicate that sometime between 30 CE and 70 CE the Pharisees gained control of the Temple. Herbert W. Armstrong believes it was around 50 CE when the Pharisees gained control. But I do not yet know this for a fact and I am studying on the matter. More on this later, when I am more certain of the situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟203,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
SABER TRUTH TIGER
It is a count of SABBATHS, in the Hebrew. Judaism followed the Pharisaic calendar but Jesus and his disciples did not follow the erroneous Pharisaic calendar. They followed the Hebrew Calendar as Yahweh had directed them. Jesus died on a Friday and the next day was Saturday, Nisan 15 and the day AFTER that, was Sunday, the waving of the Omer and the resurrection of Christ. Do you really believe Yahweh would inspire Moses in writing the Hebrew and Sadducean reckoning of the holy days only to inspire Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John to recognize the erroneous Pharisee reckoning of the holy days? Besides, no where in the Christian Greek Scriptures is Nisan 15 called a Sabbath except when it fell on the weekly Sabbath as per John 19:14, 31.

Just consider this: The Jewish people who followed the Pharisee reckoning of the holy days ended up celebrating the right day of the month the weekend Jesus died. The weekend Jesus died just happened to occur when both Pharisee reckoning and Sadducee reckoning coincided. What a marvelous creator we have! The whole Jewish nation, Sadducee and Pharisee, celebrated Nisan 16 together!

SABER TRUTH TIGER
Josephus followed the erroneous Pharisee view. So did Philo. Josephus and Philo and the rabbis are not inspired by Yahweh. I recognize the Hebrew translation and its Sadduceean reckoning of the Omer. You can follow Josephus, Philo, the Pharisees, and the rabbis if you want. That is your right. Prove to me that Nisan 15 is a Sabbath using the Hebrew Scriptures.

It's also possible that the Sadducees actually controlled Temple worship when Jesus walked the earth as opposed to the Pharisees. I am not certain of this, but I am currently studying on the matter. It seems to indicate that sometime between 30 CE and 70 CE the Pharisees gained control of the Temple. Herbert W. Armstrong believes it was around 50 CE when the Pharisees gained control. But I do not yet know this for a fact and I am studying on the matter. More on this later, when I am more certain of the situation.
Well considering Church tradition ( all the historical churches in including Judaic) says it was Sunday that year, the two Calendars were reconciled anyway. So it is a moot point.

Upvote 0

Saber Truth Tiger

Freethinker
Site Supporter
May 7, 2016
North Carolina
✟102,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe Armstrong makes a very strong case that the Sadducees could have actually been the ones to control Temple worship when Jesus walked the earth so I am linking to his lengthy article on who controlled Temple worship and why.

There is a quote from Wikipedia on the Megillat Taanit, a first century CE document that forbade fasting and lamenting on certain holidays of the Jews. One must be careful when using Wikipedia and I am not able to confirm this quote but I post it so someone who reads it may be able to confirm for themselves its veracity.

Among the dates penned in Megillat Taanit and which were all forbidden to fast thereon, and for others also forbidden to lament the dead thereon, are to be noted the following:

• “And from the eighth day thereof (i.e. the lunar month of Nisan) until the end of the [last] festival day [of Passover], the Feast of Weeks (Shavu’ot) was restored, [being days on which] it is prohibited to mourn” [Original Aramaic: ומתמניא ביה ועד סוף מועדא איתותב חגא דשבועייא די לא למספד‎]
[Excursus: This episode has been explained by Rashi in Babylonian Talmud (Taanit 17b, s.v. מתמניא ביה‎) to mean the vindication of the Pharisees over the Boethusians in the days of Rabbi Yohanan ben Zakkai, when the Boethusians held the errant view that the people of Israel are to only begin counting the seven weeks, or 49 days of the Counting of the Omer, after the first Sabbath that follows the first Festival Day of Passover, which method would invariably cause a delay in the counting, and push back further the Feast of Weeks (Shavu’ot) which falls on the 50th day. According to the Pharisees, on the other hand, whose opinion is Halacha, the Counting of the Omer begins immediately following the first Festival Day of Passover, which happens to be the Sabbath day of rest spoken of in Leviticus 23:15, that is to say, Passover itself, and they begin the counting on the following day, on the 16th day of the lunar month Nisan, in which case the festival day known as the Feast of Weeks will always fall on the 6th day of the lunar month Sivan. When Rabbi Yohanan ben Zakkai prevailed over the Boethusians at this time, the days were commemorated as a semi-holiday; Shavu’ot being restored to its former time of observance.][20][21]

If this quote from Wikipedia is accurate, and I am not claiming it is, but if it is, then that would be strong evidence that the Sadducees controlled Temple worship during the time Jesus had his public ministry.

The quote refers to Rabbi Yohanan ben Zakkai, a Pharisee, who lived from about 30 CE to 90 CE and was instrumental on returning reckoning of the wave sheaf back to Pharisean control.

Wikipedia’s article on Rabbi Yohanan ben Zakkai gives the following:

The Talmud reports that, in the mid-first century, he was particularly active in opposing the Sadducees‘ interpretations of Jewish law,[2][3] and produced counter-arguments to the Sadducees’ objection to the Pharisees.[4] So dedicated was he to opposing the Sadducee view of Jewish law, that he prevented the Jewish high priest, who was a Sadducee, from following the Sadducee interpretation of the Red Heifer ritual.[5]

His home, at this time, was in Arav, a village in the Galilee, where he spent eighteen years.[6][7] However, although living among them, he found the attitude of Galileans to be objectionable, allegedly exclaiming that they hated the Torah and would therefore “fall into the hands of robbers.”[6] During the outbreak of hostilities, he settled in Jerusalem.

I want to do further research into this so I added the link to his article here, in my blog post. It’s over 80 printed pages long so read it in small chunks.

https://tinyurl.com/757tbjc8

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟203,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe Armstrong makes a very strong case that the Sadducees could have actually been the ones to control Temple worship when Jesus walked the earth so I am linking to his lengthy article on who controlled Temple worship and why.

There is a quote from Wikipedia on the Megillat Taanit, a first century CE document that forbade fasting and lamenting on certain holidays of the Jews. One must be careful when using Wikipedia and I am not able to confirm this quote but I post it so someone who reads it may be able to confirm for themselves its veracity.

Among the dates penned in Megillat Taanit and which were all forbidden to fast thereon, and for others also forbidden to lament the dead thereon, are to be noted the following:

• “And from the eighth day thereof (i.e. the lunar month of Nisan) until the end of the [last] festival day [of Passover], the Feast of Weeks (Shavu’ot) was restored, [being days on which] it is prohibited to mourn” [Original Aramaic: ומתמניא ביה ועד סוף מועדא איתותב חגא דשבועייא די לא למספד‎]
[Excursus: This episode has been explained by Rashi in Babylonian Talmud (Taanit 17b, s.v. מתמניא ביה‎) to mean the vindication of the Pharisees over the Boethusians in the days of Rabbi Yohanan ben Zakkai, when the Boethusians held the errant view that the people of Israel are to only begin counting the seven weeks, or 49 days of the Counting of the Omer, after the first Sabbath that follows the first Festival Day of Passover, which method would invariably cause a delay in the counting, and push back further the Feast of Weeks (Shavu’ot) which falls on the 50th day. According to the Pharisees, on the other hand, whose opinion is Halacha, the Counting of the Omer begins immediately following the first Festival Day of Passover, which happens to be the Sabbath day of rest spoken of in Leviticus 23:15, that is to say, Passover itself, and they begin the counting on the following day, on the 16th day of the lunar month Nisan, in which case the festival day known as the Feast of Weeks will always fall on the 6th day of the lunar month Sivan. When Rabbi Yohanan ben Zakkai prevailed over the Boethusians at this time, the days were commemorated as a semi-holiday; Shavu’ot being restored to its former time of observance.][20][21]

If this quote from Wikipedia is accurate, and I am not claiming it is, but if it is, then that would be strong evidence that the Sadducees controlled Temple worship during the time Jesus had his public ministry.

The quote refers to Rabbi Yohanan ben Zakkai, a Pharisee, who lived from about 30 CE to 90 CE and was instrumental on returning reckoning of the wave sheaf back to Pharisean control.

Wikipedia’s article on Rabbi Yohanan ben Zakkai gives the following:

The Talmud reports that, in the mid-first century, he was particularly active in opposing the Sadducees‘ interpretations of Jewish law,[2][3] and produced counter-arguments to the Sadducees’ objection to the Pharisees.[4] So dedicated was he to opposing the Sadducee view of Jewish law, that he prevented the Jewish high priest, who was a Sadducee, from following the Sadducee interpretation of the Red Heifer ritual.[5]

His home, at this time, was in Arav, a village in the Galilee, where he spent eighteen years.[6][7] However, although living among them, he found the attitude of Galileans to be objectionable, allegedly exclaiming that they hated the Torah and would therefore “fall into the hands of robbers.”[6] During the outbreak of hostilities, he settled in Jerusalem.

I want to do further research into this so I added the link to his article here, in my blog post. It’s over 80 printed pages long so read it in small chunks.

https://tinyurl.com/757tbjc8
Josephus says the popularity of the Pharisees among the people often made them go along with them.
The gospels do seem to support this in that they were those selected as Judges. They sat themselves in the seat of Moses. When difficult disputes came before the highest court, the Judges and highpriest had to agree together on the verdict, to make it law. Otherwise it fell into disputable matters, not settled law.. The two sects had developed each having power in the court. The interesting thing is, how much of Jewish law had been handed down that was neither Sadducee, nor Pharisee? Since two sects disagreed with each other, none of their sectarian views could be established law. The seat of Moses was the difficult cases to decide with the priests and judges. Nothing that came from that seat was sectarian. And to consider how much was decided from the days of Moses that law was established prior to these sects even existed.

Here is true original "oral law"
Deut 17:8 If there arise a matter too hard for thee in judgment, between blood and blood, between plea and plea, and between stroke and stroke, being matters of controversy within thy gates: then shalt thou arise, and get thee up into the place which the LORD thy God shall choose;
9 And thou shalt come unto the priests the Levites, and unto the judge that shall be in those days, and enquire; and they shall shew thee the sentence of judgment:
10 And thou shalt do according to the sentence, which they of that place which the LORD shall choose shall shew thee; and thou shalt observe to do according to all that they inform thee:

In the above verses the word for "SENTENCE" is literally "MOUTH". Law from the mouth = oral law
Even the lower courts were presided over by the priests

De 21:5 And the priests the sons of Levi shall come near; for them the LORD thy God hath chosen to minister unto him, and to bless in the name of the LORD; and by their word shall every controversy and every stroke be tried:

Again in the above verse by their word every controversy be tried, literally reads "by their MOUTH" = oral law

Last edited:
Upvote 0