US
✟1,108,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
This video gives some helpful hints for precautions to take in the first few weeks, in case of nuclear fallout. The risks of exposure are front loaded. Get to shelter within 15 minutes. Dispose of clothing outside of shelter. Dust particles are very dangerous; and you don't want to take that dust into your safe place. Turn off fans, AC, or ventilation. Take a shower ASAP; and rinse thoroughly with soap. Don't use hair conditioner. It can bind particles to you. These are but a few of the helpful hints contained in this concise video.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟301,860.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
They say laughter is the best medicine, probably the best thing do in your secret basement hideaway during a nuclear Armageddon.

giphy.gif

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,248,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This video gives some helpful hints for precautions to take in the first few weeks, in case of nuclear fallout. The risks of exposure are front loaded. Get to shelter within 15 minutes. Dispose of clothing outside of shelter. Dust particles are very dangerous; and you don't want to take that dust into your safe place. Turn off fans, AC, or ventilation. Take a shower ASAP; and rinse thoroughly with soap. Don't use hair conditioner. It can bind particles to you. These are but a few of the helpful hints contained in this concise video.

Potassium Iodide is useful for some protection from fallout AND is useful if you need to source water from questionable sources in a non-nuclear emergency. Or a camping trip. It tastes awful but it works. In a nuclear situation a lot of Iodine-131 and Iodine-125 are made as fission byproducts. And our bodies scrounge and store Iodine from wherever it can be found. Taking some non-radioactive Iodine right after a blast can be very helpful. And it’s cheap.

• Informative
Reactions: FreeinChrist
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The instructions I received regarding a nuk attack involved bending over and kissing something goodbye, I suspect it was very practical advice considering the number of weapons.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Potassium Iodide is useful for some protection from fallout AND is useful if you need to source water from questionable sources in a non-nuclear emergency. Or a camping trip. It tastes awful but it works. In a nuclear situation a lot of Iodine-131 and Iodine-125 are made as fission byproducts. And our bodies scrounge and store Iodine from wherever it can be found. Taking some non-radioactive Iodine right after a blast can be very helpful. And it’s cheap.

HHS purchases drug for use in radiological and nuclear emergenciesHHS purchases drug for use in radiological and nuclear emergencies

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hey.. I saw this picture as of late of some buss I think had something about this also lol. We had those drills when I was young.. I guess they don't make "desks" like that any more :)

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟658,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's good to know this stuff before it happens. Considering how even biden is admitting we're closer than ever before to a nuclear Armageddon, and continues doing whatever Putin says will get us closer to the brink, and now North Korea is really ramping up their missile tests and is suspected to be on the verge of a nuclear test, and then there's China (yep, they're still there!), I think it's only a matter of time now.
It thoroughly amazes me that some people still won't prepare--even after Covid, even after Hurricane Ian, and even though WW3 looks inevitable.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟577,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was thinking that in the house, the most susceptible places for fallout dust to enter would be around the doors and maybe the windows and vents... So maybe some kind of spray foam that squirts out of a can would be a good idea to hit all 4 sides of the windows and doors, and maybe some plastic wrap with tape to block the vents.

Reactions: FreeinChrist
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,760,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a good site filled with information:

Nuclear Explosion | Ready.gov

My husband and I have a stock of food for emergencies. I wonder how food in regular packaging inside a cement building would fare. Anyone know?

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,760,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ahh, found this at the site I linked to:

"It is safe to eat or drink packaged food items or items that were inside a building. Do not consume food or liquids that were outdoors uncovered and may be contaminated by fallout."

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,248,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It's good to know this stuff before it happens. Considering how even biden is admitting we're closer than ever before to a nuclear Armageddon, and continues doing whatever Putin says will get us closer to the brink, and now North Korea is really ramping up their missile tests and is suspected to be on the verge of a nuclear test, and then there's China (yep, they're still there!), I think it's only a matter of time now.
It thoroughly amazes me that some people still won't prepare--even after Covid, even after Hurricane Ian, and even though WW3 looks inevitable.
Preparing for a handful of tactical nukes being launched in Eastern Europe is about as significant as having prepared for Chernobyl. For most of the world it wasn’t above background radiation. Preparing for all out thermonuclear war is a different matter. I am surrounded by significant targets, six for sure, three significant airports and two rail yards and a radio array if everybody launches everything. There is no preparing for surviving that. In the middle may be a gray area where if they drag it out and come to their senses maybe we have some hope. Do they have any senses left? Between Joe and Putin who is the level headed one? Between Joe and Xi which is the level headed one? Kennedy nearly launched ‘em all, and he was actually level headed.

• Prayers
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,307.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Preparing for a handful of tactical nukes being launched in Eastern Europe is about as significant as having prepared for Chernobyl. For most of the world it wasn’t above background radiation. Preparing for all out thermonuclear war is a different matter. I am surrounded by significant targets, six for sure, three significant airports and two rail yards and a radio array if everybody launches everything. There is no preparing for surviving that. In the middle may be a gray area where if they drag it out and come to their senses maybe we have some hope. Do they have any senses left? Between Joe and Putin who is the level headed one? Between Joe and Xi which is the level headed one? Kennedy nearly launched ‘em all, and he was actually level headed.

I remember in the late 70s when President Carter instructed the DoD to create plans for "enduring deterrence." Before that, we actually didn't have plans to survive and continue to fight a nuclear war after the "Major Attack Option." I know some of the guys flying tankers for the BUFFs intended to ditch in South America, if they had enough fuel.

But given the command by the president, we began to make real plans for cells to survive and continue subsequent nuclear attacks.

It was pretty tough, given that it was nearly impossible to be sure what forces and logistics beyond command and control elements would survive the first strike.

I knew I wouldn't survive, though. We estimated there were 25-30 Soviet warheads targeting my office chair.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟658,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

It may start in Europe, but it won't end there. Biden keeps saying that there will be "catastrophic consequences" if Putin uses even 1 nuke. What do you think that means? I'm sure he's been asked, and then was contradicted by his handlers, but I think it's obvious what would happen:

Russia sets off a tactical nuke over a city in Ukraine--maybe one now claimed by Russia.

A NATO country then sets one off over Moscow to show Putin that "we mean business"!

Russia then begins strikes against NATO countries (now that WW3 has begun), beginning with the one that Putin believes hit Moscow.

And the rest of the dominoes begin to fall.....

Don't forget that Russia and the USA aren't the only players. North Korea seems to be revving up their nuclear capability. Under Trump, they could barely get a missile off the ground. Under biden, they're able to reach the USA. Then there's Iran who biden wants to make nuclear deals with.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,760,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I actually think the long term needs after a nuclear war would be food insecurity.
There is no winner really in that type of war.

I believe there is a large seed bank in Norway. Seems like the US needs something like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟846,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The only thing you need to survive the apocalypse (nuclear fallout) is don't be self-centered. Be willing to die, and then you'll survive even if you do die. Luke 17:33

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,248,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I actually think the long term needs after a nuclear war would be food insecurity.
There is no winner really in that type of war.

I believe there is a large seed bank in Norway. Seems like the US needs something like that.
The seed bank in Norway isn't for spring planting but for long term protection of genetic diversity. It is invaluable for it's purpose but is too small for getting spring planting going again after a massive war induced crop failure.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟485,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I had forgotten that one.

And I had wanted to forget it, but some things are just too stupid to be forgotten. Or to put it another way, they declare their idiocy so loudly as to be indelibly imprinted in declarative memory. I suspect even if I am struck with severe retrograde amnesia I will still be able to recall, if nothing else, that non-sensical set piece.

The bitter irony is that further from the blast point, an old refrigerator or icebox actually would provide safety, especially if it had lead lining for insulation, as it would provide shielding from gamma rays and neutrons as well as shattering windows and debris. Likewise, the sealed refrigerator could potentially provide some protection from the acoustic overpressure resulting from the shockwave, depending on proximity. For those outside the epicenter where a nuclear fireball basically incinerates everything and turns people into shadows, like at Hiroshima, the shockwave imparts the greatest short-term destructive force.

However, if you are so far in the blast radius that the refrigerator gets tossed around like a balloon in a hurricane, it seems probable the delta-V alone would kill you.

Upvote 0