Ellen White indicates Miller's message of Jesus coming in 1843 was "heavenly".

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
William Miller, who started the Millerite movement, preached that Jesus' second coming would occur around 1843.

Jesus did not return in 1843. Then the Millerites revised it to 1844. Jesus did not return in 1844. Eventually the Millerite movement settled on the date of Oct. 22, 1844. Jesus did not return Oct. 22, 1844.

Miller should have never thought to preach this message because of the words of Scripture:

------

Matthew 24:4 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

Matthew 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

I Thessalonians 5:1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. 2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

------

Yet, Ellen White, years after the failure of Jesus to return in 1843, indicated that the proclamation of Miller's message that Jesus was coming in 1843 was of God. Ellen White indicated Miller's message was a heavenly message.

Below I quote from a number of places where Ellen White endorses Miller's message, from "Early Writings".

Anyone wanting to review the whole context may read "Early Writings" by Ellen White at the following link.

-----------

I saw that God was in the proclamation of the time in 1843. It was His design to arouse the people and bring them to a testing point, where they should decide for or against the truth.

Angels of God accompanied William Miller in his mission. He was firm and undaunted, fearlessly proclaiming the message committed to his trust.

The saints anxiously waited for their Lord with fasting, watching, and almost constant prayer. Even some sinners looked forward to the time with terror; but the great mass manifested the spirit of Satan in their opposition to the message. They mocked and scoffed, repeating everywhere, "No man knoweth the day nor the hour." Evil angels urged them on to harden their hearts and to reject every ray of light from heaven, that they might be fastened in the snare of Satan. Many who professed to be looking for Christ had no part in the work of the message.

Thousands were led to embrace the truth preached by William Miller, and servants of God were raised up in the spirit and power of Elijah to proclaim the message.

Ministers who would not accept this saving message themselves hindered those who would have received it.

Preachers and people joined to oppose this message from heaven and to persecute William Miller and those who united with him in the work.

I saw the people of God joyful in expectation, looking for their Lord. But God designed to prove them. His hand covered a mistake in the reckoning of the prophetic periods. Those who were looking for their Lord did not discover this mistake, and the most learned men who opposed the time also failed to see it. God designed that His people should meet with a disappointment.

Those who had neglected to receive the heavenly message were left in darkness, and God's anger was kindled against them, because they would not receive the light which He had sent them from heaven.

Satan and his angels triumphed over them, and those who would not receive the message congratulated themselves upon their farseeing judgment and wisdom in not receiving the delusion, as they called it. They did not realize that they were rejecting the counsel of God against themselves, and were working in union with Satan and his angels to perplex God's people,who were living out the heaven-sent message.

-------

Notice that in the quotes above she condemns those who did not receive Miller's message that Jesus was coming in 1843, and later 1844. She indicates Miller's message of Jesus coming in 1843 was a heaven-sent message. And she says God designed to test people. She condemns those who rejected it--even though it goes completely against what the Scriptures say about date setting, and despite the event not coming to pass.

Last edited:

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To give historical context, here are a few selections from ministers who wrote against Miller at the time.

Pastor Dowling, "An Exposition of the Prophecies Supposed by William Miller to Predict the Second Coming of Christ in 1843"

-------------------

I have frequently been asked if I believe Mr. Miller to be sincere. I have invariably answered in the affirmative. I cannot but suppose that Mr. M. is a pious, well-meaning man. I would advise him, in conclusion, if he would escape the distress I know it would cause him in his old age to have been unintentionally instrumental in the spread of infidelity, to go home and preach Christ crucified to perishing sinners, which I have no doubt he is qualified to do, and to waste no more of a life which might be valuable if rightly spent, in vainly attempting to make known those times and seasons which God hath wisely concealed from the ken of mortals, and "put into His own power."

-------------

Unnamed author of "Miller Overthrown"

-------------

Whether he has been first himself deceived, or whether he is wittingly practising a pious fraud, is known to the Searcher of hearts. I have but to point out sundry errors and weak places in his book; sufficient, however to destroy his credibility, but not to prove that the end of the word is distant; for "of that day knoweth no man"; and we are told that it is even hidden from the angels. If a man were to prophesy that, on a certain day during the next year, Washington city would be destroyed by an earthquake, who could positively declare the contrary? I pretend not to know that the world will survive the year 1843; but I think that Mr. William Miller knows as little about it as I do.

The Almighty has wisely hidden that day from us. Let the man who would rashly essay to raise the veil, ponder well upon the responsibility he assumes.

If Miller's calculations are correct, it is very evident that he is wiser than the angels, the prophets, the apostles, and the saints. It was an angel who was commanded to make Daniel understand the vision. Now, if that angel showed the prophet that the world would be destroyed in 2300 years, then is it not true, as Christ declared, that "of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father."
We are also informed that, "In such an hour as you think not, the Son of man cometh;" which will not be the case with the Millerites, if his prediction shall be fulfilled.

--------

They referenced the scriptures against time setting as the reason for their rejecting the message, and rightly so. The scriptures are clear that we should not set dates as Jesus' return will be at an hour we think not.

Matthew 24:4 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

Matthew 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

I Thessalonians 5:1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

But Ellen White condemned those who correctly applied these Scriptures:

-----

Many shepherds of the flock, who professed to love Jesus, said that they had no opposition to the preaching of Christ's coming, but they objected to the definite time. God's all-seeing eye read their hearts. They did not love Jesus near. They knew that their unchristian lives would not stand the test, for they were not walking in the humble path marked out by Him. These false shepherds stood in the way of the work of God. The truth spoken in its convincing power aroused the people, and like the jailer, they began to inquire, "What must I do to be saved?" But these shepherds stepped in between the truth and the people, and preached smooth things to lead them from the truth. They united with Satan and his angels, crying, "Peace, peace," when there was no peace.

Those who loved their ease and were content with their distance from God would not be aroused from their carnal security. I saw that angels of God marked it all; the garments of those unconsecrated shepherds were covered with the blood of souls.

Ministers who would not accept this saving message themselves hindered those who would have received it. The blood of souls is upon them.

-----

So in Ellen White's view, the pastors who said that you shouldn't specify the time of Jesus' coming, quoting Scripture, were rejecting the saving message of Miller that Jesus was coming in 1843, and later 1844. And the reason they did so was because they didn't really love Jesus.

According to Ellen White the ministers who warned against Miller's date setting were condemned--for standing on the words of Jesus. But those who believed Millers false message were doing what God wanted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ellen White later wrote the following regarding time-setting, but never applied it to Miller:

-----
Many who have called themselves Adventists have been time setters. Time after time has been set for Christ to come, but repeated failures have been the result. The definite time of our Lord's coming is declared to be beyond the ken of mortals. Even the angels who minister unto those who shall be heirs of salvation know not the day nor the hour. "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but My Father only." Because the times repeatedly set have passed, the world is in a more decided state of unbelief than before in regard to the near advent of Christ. They look upon the failures of the time setters with disgust; and because men have been so deceived, they turn from the truth substantiated by the word of God that the end of all things is at hand. {4T 307.1}
Those who so presumptuously preach definite time, in so doing gratify the adversary of souls; for they are advancing infidelity rather than Christianity. They produce Scripture and by false interpretation show a chain of argument which apparently proves their position. But their failures show that they are false prophets, that they do not rightly interpret the language of inspiration. The word of God is truth and verity, but men have perverted its meaning. These errors have brought the truth of God for these days into disrepute.
Testimonies vol 4, pg 307

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here are three statements from the book "Early Writings" regarding Ellen White's claim that God directed the chart of Miller that said Jesus was coming in 1843.

-------
I saw the people of God joyful in expectation, looking for their Lord. But God designed to prove them. His hand covered a mistake in the reckoning of the prophetic periods. Those who were looking for their Lord did not discover this mistake, and the most learned men who opposed the time also failed to see it. God designed that His people should meet with a disappointment.

The hand of the Lord was removed from the figures, and the mistake was explained. They saw that the prophetic periods reached to 1844, and that the same evidence which they had presented to show that the prophetic periods closed in 1843, proved that they would terminate in 1844

I have seen that the 1843 chart was directed by the hand of the Lord, and that it should not be altered; that the figures were as He wanted them; that His hand was over and hid a mistake in some of the figures, so that none could see it, until His hand was removed.

-----

For those wondering what this chart is Ellen White mentioned, it is referring to the chart the Millerites made up showing evidence that the prophecies pointed to Jesus coming in 1843.

You can view it here:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ellen White claimed many years later that she still believed there was a shut door in 1844 for those who rejected Miller's message, and those Millerites who later abandoned it.

-----

I was shown in vision, and I still believe, that there was a shut door in 1844. All who saw the light of the first and second angels’ messages and rejected that light, were left in darkness. And those who accepted it and received the Holy Spirit which attended the proclamation of the message from heaven, and who afterward renounced their faith and pronounced their experience a delusion, thereby rejected the Spirit of God, and it no longer pleaded with them. Those who did not see the light, had not the guilt of its rejection. It was only the class who had despised the light from heaven that the Spirit of God could not reach. And this class included, as I have stated, both those who refused to accept the message when it was presented to them, and also those who, having received it, afterward renounced their faith. These might have a form of godliness, and profess to be followers of Christ; but having no living connection with God, they would be taken captive by the delusions of Satan. These two classes are brought to view in the vision—those who declared the light which they had followed a delusion, and the wicked of the world who, having rejected the light, had been rejected of God. No reference is made to those who had not seen the light, and therefore were not guilty of its rejection. 1 Selected Messages

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For his part Miller did not claim to be inspired:

Here is a quote from Miller in an address to the public a while after the time had passed:
-----
“I am thankful to God, although much and sorely disappointed, that I never pretended to be divinely inspired, but always directed you to the same source from which I obtained all the information I then had and now possess on this glorious and heart-cheering subject.
------

Another quote from Miller about some of the views that grew out of the disappointment:

-----
Some are disposed to lay a stress on the seventh-month movement which is not warranted by the Word. There was then a dedication of heart, in view of the Lord's coming, that was well pleasing in the sight of God. Desire for the Lord's coming and a preparation for that event are acceptable to Him. But, because we then ardently desired his coming and sought that preparation that was necessary, it does not follow that our expectations were then realized. For we were certainly disappointed. We expected the personal coming of Christ at that time; and now to contend that we were not mistaken is dishonest. We should never be ashamed frankly to confess all our errors.

I have no confidence in any of the new theories that grew out of that movement, namely, that Christ then came as the Bridegroom, that the door of mercy was closed, that there is no salvation for sinners, that the seventh trumpet then sounded, or that it was a fulfilment of prophecy in any sense.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The following from Early Writings shows Ellen White heard people again and again repeat the words of Christ against date setting--but she still says the date setting was of God.

-----
The preaching of definite time called forth great opposition from all classes, from the minister in the pulpit down to the most reckless, heaven-daring sinner. "No man knoweth the day nor the hour," was heard from the hypocritical minister and the bold scoffer.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ellen White continued to endorse Miller's message in Great Controversy.

-----
The time of expectation passed, and Christ did not appear for the deliverance of His people. Those who with sincere faith and love had looked for their Saviour, experienced a bitter disappointment. Yet the purposes of God were being accomplished; He was testing the hearts of those who professed to be waiting for His appearing.
-----

The time for Jesus' coming came and went. But she claims God was testing those who professed to be waiting for His appearing.

In actuality, the test was to apply the Scriptures already given to the preaching of Jesus coming at a particular time.

I Thessalonians 5:1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. 2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ellen White continued to endorse Miller's message in Great Controversy.

-----
The time of expectation passed, and Christ did not appear for the deliverance of His people. Those who with sincere faith and love had looked for their Saviour, experienced a bitter disappointment. Yet the purposes of God were being accomplished; He was testing the hearts of those who professed to be waiting for His appearing.
-----

October 22, 1844 came and went, and Jesus did not come. But she claims God was testing those who professed to be waiting for His appearing.

In actuality, the test was to apply the Scriptures already given to the preaching of Jesus' return on a specific day:

Full context is here for those who are interested

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of all the great religious movements since the days of the apostles, none have been more free from human imperfection and the wiles of Satan than was that of the autumn of 1844. Even now, after the lapse of many years, all who shared in that movement and who have stood firm upon the platform of truth still feel the holy influence of that blessed work and bear witness that it was of God.
GC, chapter 22

---

She claims that the message of Jesus' coming at a particular, inaccurate, time was of God, despite it going against warnings in Scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is William Miller's message in his own words.
------
Therefore, in December of that year, as I could see no error in my reckoning, I published my belief, that, some time between March 21, 1843, and March 21, 1844, the Lord would come. Memoirs of William Miller, pg, 329
------

Here is Miller's later admission he was wrong.

-------

But, because we then ardently desired his coming and sought that preparation that was necessary, it does not follow that our expectations were then realized. For we were certainly disappointed. We expected the personal coming of Christ at that time; and now to contend that we were not mistaken is dishonest. We should never be ashamed frankly to confess all our errors. Memoirs of William Miller, pg 329

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While the above gives a summary of Miller's message, some may want more details about the proofs that Miller presented in this message which Ellen White calls heavenly.

His lectures expound on these proofs at length

This version is taken from an 1844 book called An Original History of the Religious Denominations at Present Existing in the United States, compiled by I. Daniel Rupp (available at Google Books; see link below). Miller's 15 proofs (which had originally been published in tract form) appear on pages 681-691, in the section entitled "Second Advent Believers," by N. Southard, editor of the Millerite publication The Midnight Cry.

After each proof a source is given from Miller's writings that allows the reader to delve further into that particular proof.

-------

Proof 1:

I. I prove it by the time given by Moses, in the 26th chapter of Leviticus, being seven times that the people of God are to be in bondage to the kingdoms of this world; or in Babylon, literal and mystical; which seven times cannot be understood less than seven times 360 revolutions of earth in its orbit, making 2520 years. I believe this began according to Jeremiah xv. 4, "And I will cause them to be removed into all kingdoms of the earth, because of Manasseh, the son of Hezekiah, king of Judah, for that which he did in Jerusalem," and Isa. vii. 8, "For the head of Syria is Damascus, and the head of Damascus is Resin: and within threescore and five years shall Ephraim be broken, that it be not a people,"--when Manasseh was carried captive to Babylon, and Israel was no more a nation,--see chronology, 2 Chron. xxxiii. 9, "So Manasseh made Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem to err, and to do worse than the heathen, whom the Lord had destroyed before the children of Israel,"--the 677th year B. C. Then take 677 out of 2520, leaves A. D. 1843, when the punishment of the people of God will end. (See Miller's Lectures, p. 251.)

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proof 2:

II. It is proved typically by the year of release. See Deut. xv. 1, 2: "At the end of every seven years thou shalt make a release; and this is the manner of the release; every creditor that lendeth aught unto his neighbour shall release it; he shall not exact of his neighbour or of his brother, because it is called the Lords release." Also Jer. xxiv. 14: "At the end of seven years let ye go every man his brother a Hebrew, which hath been sold unto thee, and when he hath served thee six years, thou shalt let him go free from thee; but your fathers hearkened not unto me, neither inclined their ear." We are, by this type, taught that the people of God will be delivered from their servitude and bondage, when they have served their 7 prophetic years. 7 times 360 years is 2520. Beginning with the captivity of Israel and the king of Judah, Manasseh, 677 B. C., must end in A. D. 1843, when the children of God will be released from all bondage and slavery. (See Second Advent Library, No. 14.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proof 3:

III. It is also proved by the seven years' war of Zion with her enemies, given to us in Ezekiel xxxix. 9, 10: "And they that dwell in the cities of Israel shall go forth, and shall set on fire and burn the weapons, both the shields and bucklers, the bows and the arrows, and the handstaves, and the spears, and they shall burn them with fire seven years: so that they shall take no wood out of the field, neither cut down out of the forests; for they shall burn the weapons with fire; and they shall spoil those that spoiled them, and rob those that robbed them, saith the Lord God." The children of God will be contending with their enemies, spoiling those that spoiled them, and robbing those that robbed them, 7 years, prophetic, which is 2520 common years. Beginning as before, when Babylon began to spoil and rob them, and when they by the fire of the truth began to burn up the weapons of their enemies, in this moral warfare; this will end in 1843. (See Miller's Life and Views, p. 69.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proof 4:

IV. It is proved, also, by the sign of the Sabbath. Exod. xxxi. 13-17: "Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my Sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations: that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you. Ye shall keep the Sabbath therefore: for it is holy unto you. Every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death; for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done, but in the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the Sabbath-day he shall surely be put to death. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel forever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed." Heb. iv. 4, 9-11; For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise: And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God; For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief." As God was six days creating the old heavens and earth, and rested on the seventh: so it is a sign that Christ will also labour six days in creating the new heavens and earth, and rest on the seventh. How long is a day with the Lord? Peter tells us in his 2 Epistle iii. 8: "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." If, then, a thousand years is a day with the Lord; how long has Christ been to work creating the new? I answer, if we will allow the Bible to make a chronology, we shall find this year, 1843, the 6000 years from Adam's fall will be finished. Then the antitypical Sabbath of a 1000 years will commence. Rev. xx. 6: "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." (See Life and Views p, 157.)

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proof 5:

V. Again we can prove it by the typical jubilee. Levit. xxv. 8-18: "And thou shalt number seven Sabbaths of years unto thee, seven times seven years; and the space of the seven Sabbaths of years shall be unto thee forty and nine years. Then shalt thou cause the trumpet of the jubilee to sound, on the tenth day of the seventh month, in the day of atonement shall ye make the trumpet sound throughout all your land. And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land, unto all the inhabitants thereof: it shall all be a jubilee unto you; and ye shall return every, man unto his possession, and ye shall return every man unto his family. A jubilee shall that fiftieth year be unto you; ye shall not sow, neither reap that which groweth of itself in it, nor gather the grapes in it of thy vine undressed. For it is the jubilee; it shall be holy unto you, ye shall eat the increase thereof out of the field. In the year of this jubilee, ye shall return every man unto his possession." Now, if we can show any rule whereby we can find the antitype, we can tell when the people of God will come into the inheritance of the purchased possession, and the redemption of their bodies, and the trump of jubilee will proclaim liberty, a glorious one, through all the land. In order to do this we must take notice of the order of the Sabbaths. "Seven Sabbaths shall be complete." There are seven kinds of Sabbaths, which all have seven for a given number.
The Jews kept but six Sabbaths; if they had kept the seventh they would have been made perfect without us; but they broke the seventh. Therefore there remains a keeping of the Sabbath to the people of God. The Jewish Sabbaths were:
1.The 7th day. Exod. xxxi. 15.
2.The 50th day. Levit. xxiii. 15, 16.
3.The 7th week. Deut. xvi. 9.
4.The 7th month. Levit. xxiii. 24, 25.
5.The 7th year. Levit. xxv. 3, 4.
6.The 7 times 7 years and 50th year Jubilee.
7.The 7 times 7 Jubilee and 50th Jubilee will bring us to a complete or perfect Sabbath,--the great Jubilee of Jubilees. Thus 7 times 7, 50 years is 49 times 50=2450 years.
It is very evident no year of release or Jubilee was ever kept after the reign of Josiah, the last king of Jerusalem that obeyed the commandments of the Lord, or kept his statutes. This king's reign ended B. C. 607. See 2 Kings 23d chapter, 2 Chron. 35 and 36 chapters, and Jeremiah 22d chapter. After which the Jews never kept, neither could they keep, a year of release, or Jubilee; for neither their kings, their nobles, their people, or their lands could have been redeemed after this. Jer. xliv. 20-23. Here ended the Jewish Jubilees, when they had not kept more than 21 Jubilees, lacking 28 of coming to the great Jubilee.
And now the land was to lay desolate, while the people of God were in their enemies' land. Levit. xxvi. 34. How long is a Jubilees of Jubilees? Ans. 49 times 50 years=2450 years. When did these years begin? Ans. When the Jews ceased the keeping of the Sabbaths and Jubilees, at the close of Josiah's reign, B. C. 607. Take 607 from 2450, it leaves A. D. 1843; when the Jubilee of Jubilees will come. (See Sec. Adv. Lib., No. 14.)

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proof 6:

VI. I prove it by Hosea vi. 1-3: "Come, and let us return unto the Lord; for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up. After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight. Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord; his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth." This prophecy is the two days of the Roman kingdom, in its Imperial, Kingly, and Papal form, with its great iron teeth, tearing and persecuting the people of God; the third day is the same as Rev. xx. 6: "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years;" when the people of God will live in his sight, "live and reign with him a thousand years." If, then, the third day is a thousand years, then the two days are of equal length. When did the two days begin? Ans. When the Jews made a league with the Romans, See Hosea v. 13: "When Ephraim saw his sickness, and Judah saw his wound, then went Ephraim to the Assyrian, and sent king Jareb: yet could he not heal you, nor cure you your wound." Dan. xi. 23: "And after the league made with him, he shall work deceitfully; for he shall come up, and shall become strong with a small people." I Macabees, 8th and 9th chapters. This league was confirmed and ratified, and the Grecian kingdom to rule over god's people B. C. 158 years. Then add 158 to 1842, and we have 2000 years, or two days; as Peter says, 2 Pet iii. 8; "But beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." And 1843 is the first year in the third thousand years, or third day of the Lord. The world has stood still since the fall of man 2000 years under the Patriarchs; 2000 years under the Assyrian. Babylonian, Medo-Persian, and Grecian; and 2000 years under Rome Pagan, Papal and Kingly. (See Sec. Adv. Lib. No. 3, p. 45.)

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proof 7

VII. I can prove it by the length of the vision which Daniel had, (viii. 1-14,) of the ram, he-goat, and little horn, which Daniel was informed was 2300 days long. Dan. viii. 13,14; "Then I heard one saint speaking, and another saint said unto that certain saint which spake, How long shall be the vision concerning the daily sacrifice, and the transgression of desolation, to give both the sanctuary and the host to be trodden under foot? And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed." And from which the 70 weeks were cut off, and fulfilled, the year of Christ's death. Dan. ix. 20-27. Then 70 weeks of years being cut off from 2300 days cut off from 2300 days, makes these days years; and 490 years being fulfilled in A. D. 33, leaves 1810 years to the fulfilment of the vision, which added to makes 1843, when the sanctuary will be cleansed, and the people of God justified. (See Miller's Lectures, p. 73.)

-------

Of course, if no angel or man knew the hour in Jesus' day, then they couldn't have relayed it to Daniel. They later applied this to Oct. 22, 1844, but that is of course a specific date.

The problem was pointed out in Miller's time:

From the anonymous author of "Miller Overthrown"

------
If Miller's calculations are correct, it is very evident that he is wiser than the angels, the prophets, the apostles, and the saints. It was an angel who was commanded to make Daniel understand the vision. Now, if that angel showed the prophet that the world would be destroyed in 2300 years, then is it not true, as Christ declared, that "of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father." We are also informed that, "In such an hour as you think not, the Son of man cometh;" which will not be the case with the Millerites, if his prediction shall be fulfilled.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟883,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proof 8:

VIII. It can be proved by Daniel xii. 6, 7: "And one said to the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, How long shall it be to the end of these wonders? And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and swear by him that liveth for ever, that it shall be for a time, times, and a half; and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these things shall be finished." The question is asked, How long to the end of these wonders? These wonders are to the resurrection. See 2d and 3d verses: "And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. And they that be wise, shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness, as the stars forever and ever." The answer given by the angel, who informs Daniel it shall be for a time, times, and a half, and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all be will be finished. Eze. xii. 10:15: " Say thou unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD: This burden concerneth the prince in Jerusalem, and all the house of Israel that are among them. Say, I am your sign: like as I have done, so shall it be done unto them: they shall remove and go into captivity. And the prince that is among them shall bear upon his shoulders in the twilight, and shall go forth: they shall dig through the wall to carry out thereby: he shall cover his face, that he see not the ground with his eyes. My net also will I spread upon him, and he shall be taken in my snare: and I will bring him to Babylon to the land of the Chaldeans, yet shall he not see it, though he shall die there. And I will scatter toward every wind all that are about him to help him, and all his bands; and I will draw out the sword after them. And they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall scatter them among the nations, and disperse them in the countries." Jer. xv. 4: "And I will cause them to be removed into all kingdoms of the earth, because of Manasseh the son of Hezekiah, king of Judah, for thatwhich he did in Jerusalem." This scattering begun, when Israel was scattered by Esarhaddon, and when the king of Judah, Manasseh, was carried to Babylon, B. C. 677. Thus they continued to be a people scattered, by the kings of the earth, until they fled into the wilderness in A. D. 538, which makes 1215 years. There they remained in the wilderness a time, times, and a half—which began A. D. 538, and continued until A. D. 1798. The kings of the earth then had power, and the time, times, and a half of the scattering of the holy people is filled up by 45 years, being the remainder of the 1215, making in all 1260 years, under the nations or kings, and ending in the year 1843, which is the fulness of times. Eph. i. 7,10: " Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure, which he hath purposed in himself: that in the dispensation of the fulness, of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: when the people of God, both among Jews and Gentiles, will no more be scattered, but gathered in one body in Christ. (See Sec. Adv. Lib. No. 6, p. 45.)

Upvote 0