• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Disabled as a man, in late 30's, am I just destined to be single in this life?

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟209,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said that it is so simple a child can understand. If you have faith to believe God for healing then you will be healed. If you have faith to believe the devil that God can not heal you, then that is what you are going to receive. As I said, healing can be slow and gradual over time. God is no respecter of persons. If there is one person walking in health then anyone can walk in health. There are lots of people that have a testimony of receiving their healing from God. He can do restoration miracles. He can go beyond the power of suggestion and the power of positive thinking. He can go beyond the placebo effect. This is how we know that it is God that is healing us, giving us deliverance, setting us free and showing us the way of salvation. So we need to continue to put it under the blood, trusting and believing God for what He an do in our lives.
Your view leads to nobody being saved, because everyone has died, and physically, only Christ has resurrected in a body so far. Maybe people who were murdered, killed by accidents or otherwise taken early in good health under no fault of their own but otherwise, physical health fails for everyone, the flesh fails everyone. God resurrects but he promises hardship, affliction, and pain in this life, not an easy life free of sickness and trouble. God is life, not death and destruction but we ourselves are death and destruction, and our redemption from that into life, is not on this Earth.
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:16[/spoiler]

Anyway, we shouldn't be debating, we just disagree, I put my faith in the resurrection, and it seems like you're putting faith in redemption of the flesh of this world, which is where I disagree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
only Christ has resurrected in a body so far.
Oh, I have been resurrected from the dead. They had to use a defibrillator to get my heart going again. That was 15 years ago and I am still going.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So I'm worried I'm single forever (remember, Matthew 22, there's not going to be a "second chance" after the resurrection, if I'm single this life I will be single eternally). I don't even know how to meet someone since I'm homebound most of the time, haven't been able to go to church in years because I can't drive myself and family are not believers. As bad as the physical pain is, the loneliness and only company being non believers (and they think my beliefs are silly to say the least, I'm worried if I push the issue more I will find myself homeless) is worse in many ways.
Being single is a gift from the Father in heaven, just as being married is a gift, as Jesus Himself said.
Not everyone is able to accept/receive this, He also said....

This does not however limit the peace, joy and righteousness possible , which "is the Kingdom of Yahuweh"..... (example comes to mind of well-known Joni) ....

Loneliness is quite common in the United States, for married and for single people, of all ages. This is you might say a 'plague' that affects many people of all ages and economic situations.

The hope is to seek and pray that Yahuweh grants fellow BELIEVERS/ EKKLESIA for fellowship, prayer, encouragement, enlightenment, hope, friendship, and so forth all as written in God's Word.

Pray constantly. Trust the Father for everything. (this is not at all condenscending - it is what Jesus says to EVERYONE who seeks Him, who follows Him, who wants to learn from Him) ....

The Father is the supplier of all provisions, fellowship, and is actively WORKING ALL OUT for the good of those who love God, who are called according to HIS PURPOSE. Even in the worst of times, as well as in the best of times.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is not always truthful.
I was talking about this scripture: ""Truely I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:3)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Who else but Christ could love me when I come to them broken, ugly, poor, and dependent on others just for survival? That's the only one I can see loving me is Jesus Christ.
Keep asking, keep seeking. The Faithful Ekklesia, born again by the Will of the Father from heaven,
abiding in Jesus, walking in union with the Son and with the Father daily,
you will know when you meet them, because they have the same attitude as Christ, and the same love for you without any regard for physical problems and appearances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

AvisG

Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2019
West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've seen some threads from women who worried about being single their entire lives because of disability, I worry about that too, I'm a little extra worried because of society, as a man, I can't be a provider for a family because of my disabilities (I also worry isn't it biblical teachings that a man should be the head of household and provider for his family?). It's emasculating to think about even in the most unlikely scenarios that some woman was able to love me, she would be providing for me. I feel socially pressured that it'd be impossible for me to meet a woman, fall in love and get married because I feel I'd be a bad husband unable to provide for himself much less a family, and I feel like there's no way I could be desirable to anyone given my physical condition and lack of job, money, possessions, prospects, etc. So I'm worried I'm single forever (remember, Matthew 22, there's not going to be a "second chance" after the resurrection, if I'm single this life I will be single eternally). I don't even know how to meet someone since I'm homebound most of the time, haven't been able to go to church in years because I can't drive myself and family are not believers. As bad as the physical pain is, the loneliness and only company being non believers (and they think my beliefs are silly to say the least, I'm worried if I push the issue more I will find myself homeless) is worse in many ways.
One of my favorite stories from my wife, who was a longtime social worker in Russia: One of her clients was this little hunchbacked woman, really quite ugly, who kept babbling about her handsome husband and beautiful children. It made the whole office sad because she was so obviously delusional and living in a fantasy world. Then, one day, she showed up with … her extremely handsome husband and three beautiful children! My wife said he was wonderfully devoted and attentive, and the little hunchbacked woman said that when he carried her around she felt as though she had no disabilities at all. The whole office was stunned. So you just never know what God has in store for you.

At the other extreme is Christian radio host, Lauren Kitchens Steward, with whom I corresponded briefly. She is gorgeous (a former beauty queen), unbelievably personable, funny and witty. With all THAT going for her, she didn't meet the right person until she was 45.

Don't sell yourself short. There is someone for you just as you are. You will have to find a way to meet people, however - it's highly unlikely she's going to appear at your door. If you use discernment, you can develop pretty meaningful relationships on the internet before you ever do meet. (I probably should be embarrassed to admit this, but my wife and I were engaged before we had met in person. I had lost my first wife to breast cancer after 33 years of marriage and was a perfectly content widower. Then, through an oddball series of circumstances that had nothing to do with "Internet dating," I "met" by email a woman in Russia - I had to travel 8,000 miles for our "first date" even though we were already engaged! We've now been married 11 years. As I said, "You never know what God has in store!")

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One of my favorite stories from my wife, who was a longtime social worker in Russia: One of her clients was this little hunchbacked woman, really quite ugly, who kept babbling about her handsome husband and beautiful children. It made the whole office sad because she was so obviously delusional and living in a fantasy world. Then, one day, she showed up with … her extremely handsome husband and three beautiful children! My wife said he was wonderfully devoted and attentive, and the little hunchbacked woman said that when he carried her around she felt as though she had no disabilities at all. The whole office was stunned. So you just never know what God has in store for you.

At the other extreme is Christian radio host, Lauren Kitchens Steward, with whom I corresponded briefly. She is gorgeous (a former beauty queen), unbelievably personable, funny and witty. With all THAT going for her, she didn't meet the right person until she was 45.

Don't sell yourself short. There is someone for you just as you are. You will have to find a way to meet people, however - it's highly unlikely she's going to appear at your door. If you use discernment, you can develop pretty meaningful relationships on the internet before you ever do meet. (I probably should be embarrassed to admit this, but my wife and I were engaged before we had met in person. I had lost my first wife to breast cancer after 33 years of marriage and was a perfectly content widower. Then, through an oddball series of circumstances that had nothing to do with "Internet dating," I "met" by email a woman in Russia - I had to travel 8,000 miles for our "first date" even though we were already engaged! We've now been married 11 years. As I said, "You never know what God has in store!")

Good encouragement! Thank you.

Reactions: Ronit
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

catch_the_music

May 3, 2018
Denver
✟3,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are here for you my friend.
I am sorry that you cannot get to a church family to encourage you and build you up on a regular basis. Have you ever heard of Joni and Friends? Joni has a website and has resources to help you be a part of the church ministry where you are at. Here is the website. Joni & Friends

Prayers that they can give you some great advice and encouragement!

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟700,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've seen some threads from women who worried about being single their entire lives because of disability, I worry about that too, I'm a little extra worried because of society, as a man, I can't be a provider for a family because of my disabilities (I also worry isn't it biblical teachings that a man should be the head of household and provider for his family?). It's emasculating to think about even in the most unlikely scenarios that some woman was able to love me, she would be providing for me. I feel socially pressured that it'd be impossible for me to meet a woman, fall in love and get married because I feel I'd be a bad husband unable to provide for himself much less a family, and I feel like there's no way I could be desirable to anyone given my physical condition and lack of job, money, possessions, prospects, etc. So I'm worried I'm single forever (remember, Matthew 22, there's not going to be a "second chance" after the resurrection, if I'm single this life I will be single eternally). I don't even know how to meet someone since I'm homebound most of the time, haven't been able to go to church in years because I can't drive myself and family are not believers. As bad as the physical pain is, the loneliness and only company being non believers (and they think my beliefs are silly to say the least, I'm worried if I push the issue more I will find myself homeless) is worse in many ways.

I never thought I'd get married again at one point because of disability, but then when I was ready I met two men who both wanted to marry me.

One was wealthier and the other poor, and I chose the poor one because it was him I love.

He's amazing, our marriage is amazing; disability and all. I get SSD, so it's an income albeit not a lot. However it paired nicely with his, so I kept a feeling of sufficiency and not completely worthless in the relationship... I also contributed my talents to making a home for when he came home from work.

Now I know your thinking this is normal because I'm a woman, but roles are changing in this day and age.

Back when I worked full time I made a good income, but man was I jealous of those men I worked with who had stay at home wives. When they got home from work there was dinner waiting, and they had clothes that were clean and pressed through no effort of their own. The only thing they worried about after a long day at work was sitting down and watching a show... and I, even as a women, wanted a wife too.. haha. Not technically, but just that ease... that comfort. That worry-less existence after work.

Me? I was going home cooking my own meals, washing and pressing my own laundry, cleaning house, doing dishes, grocery shopping etc... after working a full day. Exhausting..

There are women who enjoy their jobs, but as they get older wouldn't mind having a spouse to help out at home, to help with cooking and cleaning and laundry etc who wouldn't have any issues with disabilities..

Certainly it takes someone special... but they do exist! Don't decide what roles you have to fulfill, just decide to trust that God will send along a help meet for you... AND pray for it! Be open to the possibilities of a nontraditional relationship.. :)

As a beside, my husband is laid off, lost his job months ago and now that unemployment is exhausted, I am the only income in the house. My disability IS what we now live on.

While it's not a job, it's an income, it's not nothing... pays the rent.

Upvote 0

Ronit

Jul 29, 2017
Oregon
✟34,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I have a physical Disability since birth. You are not alone.
Best Wishes
Ronit

Upvote 0