Verses on Disabilities or Struggles (Gen 3, Romans 8, John 9, Isaiah 41)

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello folks. Today we are going to be analyzing 5 verses about struggles (including disabilities, as I have autism myself), and how God can help us through these struggles.

Date
April 27, 2024​
Verse
Genesis 3:1-5: "Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, ‘Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?’ And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’ But the serpent said to the woman, ‘You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.’"

Genesis 3:17-19: "And to Adam he said, ‘Because you have listened to the voice of your wife and have eaten of the tree of which I commanded you,‘You shall not eat of it,’cursed is the ground because of you; in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life; thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you; and you shall eat the plants of the field. By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return.’"

Romans 8:20-23: "For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies."

John 9:1-3: "As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, ‘Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?’ Jesus answered, ‘It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.’"

Isaiah 41:10: "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."​
Explanation
The first two passages from Genesis describe the fall of humanity, specifically Adam and Eve's disobedience to God's command in the Garden of Eden. The serpent, who represents Satan or temptation, deceives Eve by questioning God's word and promising her that she won't die if she eats the forbidden fruit. Instead, she and Adam experience consequences such as physical toil, pain, and death. These passages highlight the entrance of sin and suffering into the world.

The last three passages from Romans, John, and Isaiah speak to God's presence and redemption in the midst of suffering and hardships. In Romans, Paul describes creation as groaning with us as it waits for redemption. John's passage about the blind man illustrates that God can bring good out of difficult circumstances, and Isaiah reassures us that God is always with us and will help us through our struggles.

These passages relate to disabilities such as autism in several ways: 1) they acknowledge the presence of suffering and hardships in our world, including those related to physical, genetic and developmental differences; 2) they offer hope for redemption and restoration through God's power and love; and 3) they remind us of our need for dependence on God in the midst of life's challenges. The Genesis passages may not directly address disabilities, but they lay the foundation for understanding the brokenness and need for redemption that exists in all aspects of creation. The later passages from Romans, John, and Isaiah offer hope and encouragement for those living with disabilities or facing any form of suffering. These passages emphasize the importance of empathy, compassion, and understanding for all individuals, regardless of their abilities or circumstances.​
Societal Relevance
In the 2020s, these passages remain relevant as they offer comfort and hope to those facing various challenges, including disabilities. They remind us of the importance of embracing diversity and recognizing that every person possesses inherent worth and dignity. Furthermore, these passages encourage us to advocate for inclusion, accessibility, and support for individuals with disabilities in our communities and society as a whole. By focusing on the common threads of human experience, suffering, and redemption, these passages help us to connect with one another, build stronger relationships, and ultimately grow in our faith.

A wonderful guy named Frank, on Christian Forums, discussed about autism with me. He says because Adam & Eve listened to Satan and sinned (Satan's temptation being the cause of the fallen world), disease made it into humans, but God gave silver linings to some diseases, and that autism may make it more difficult, but God is compassionate, and knows the road is steep, but is all the more understanding of folks with disabilities overcoming obstacles which non-disabled folks may find mundane and easy. And I have overcome some of those obstacles. It is still twice as more difficult to make friends, and twice as difficult to read social cues, but folks with autism can overcome these things through God's power. In 2023-2024, significant steps were made, where I can finally begin to read more nuanced situations and cues.