America’s Stunning Embrace Of Paganism Signals The End Of This Country As We Know It

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It will be defined, as it always was, by the belief that nothing is true
I have definitely been concerned about this, given how many Americans have been completely unmoored from reality by Q type beliefs, "stolen election", and barely covert respect for Russian leader Putin who embodies the KGB tradition of "info wars".

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,418.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Whenever I've talked about how American nationalism is its own kind of folk religion in the past, I have been routinely chastised and ridiculed for saying something "outrageous". But time and again we see things like this happen, and we're just supposed to pretend like it's normal?
The American constitution in the Bible? How would your Founding Fathers feel about that?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have definitely been concerned about this, given how many Americans have been completely unmoored from reality by Q type beliefs, "stolen election", and barely covert respect for Russian leader Putin who embodies the KGB tradition of "info wars".

Well, it's all about money.

During a deposition, Murdoch testified that he believed the 2020 election was fair and had not been stolen from Trump.

“Fox knew the truth,” Dominion argued in court papers. “It knew the allegations against Dominion were ‘outlandish’ and ‘crazy’ and ‘ludicrous’ and ‘nuts.’ Yet it used the power and influence of its platform to promote that false story.”

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟835,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
We should understand all of these things as signs of paganism’s return, remembering that paganism was not just the ritual embodiment of sincere religious belief but an entire sociopolitical order. The mystery cults of pagan Rome and Babylon were not just theatrical or fanciful expressions of polytheistic urges in the populace, they were mechanisms of social control.
This distinguishes them in no way from today's major monotheisms.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,418.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟760,458.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
After reading the article I'm not seeing the Pagan connection. What it looks like to me is that Paganism is being used as the bogyman for the Christianity's own internal issues. The Paganism that I know does not look like the Paganism that the author describes. If Christianity is in decline as the OP says, I suggest that it look in inward to see what it sees about itself and not blame others.

Upvote 0

MegChristian

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2024
USA
✟38,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you don't understand the difference between good and evil and why it matters, you will continue to follow the Pied Piper into a disastrous trap. When you realize what is wrong with the lies you have chosen to believe it will be too late.

If you don't understand the difference between Trump and Hitler, between America and Venezuela, and why it matters you are in grave danger of being taken by surprise. When the trap closes it will be too late.

There is a reason why Christianity is the Gold Standard of civilization. There is a reason why America was built on a Christian foundation. Be careful, very careful what you choose and why.

I did not expect to be mocked, and I will not put up with being mocked. The article I posted details the best explanation of what is wrong with this "Post Christian" era we are falling into. If you cannot learn from it, the Pied Piper will continue to appeal to you.

I have nothing more to say.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟305,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you don't understand the difference between good and evil and why it matters, you will continue to follow the Pied Piper into a disastrous trap. When you realize what is wrong with the lies you have chosen to believe it will be too late.
Some more awareness in general would be good on these points.
If you don't understand the difference between Trump and Hitler, between America and Venezuela, and why it matters you are in grave danger of being taken by surprise. When the trap closes it will be too late.
Oh, I do, and I will not fall into the trap of thinking Trump is "normal". I also know who his biggest backers are in name, motivation, and goals.
There is a reason why Christianity is the Gold Standard of civilization.
Never heard that before. The presence or absence of Christianity is not a measure of civilization.
There is a reason why America was built on a Christian foundation. Be careful, very careful what you choose and why.
It was not. There is not Christianity in the US Constitution.
I did not expect to be mocked, and I will not put up with being mocked.
We have seen articles like the one you posted in the OP many times before. The moral panic argument is getting tired. It has nothing to do with you.
The article I posted details the best explanation of what is wrong with this "Post Christian" era we are falling into.
A run-of-the-mill moral panic article from a Christian nationalist author. I can't take such people as authoritative.
If you cannot learn from it, the Pied Piper will continue to appeal to you.
i for one welcome our coming post-christian era.
I have nothing more to say.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
After reading the article I'm not seeing the Pagan connection. What it looks like to me is that Paganism is being used as the bogyman for the Christianity's own internal issues. The Paganism that I know does not look like the Paganism that the author describes. If Christianity is in decline as the OP says, I suggest that it look in inward to see what it sees about itself and not blame others.
Yeah, but if The Federalist published thoughtful, nuanced pieces that took your approach, they wouldn’t make any money.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The sky is falling!
No. It's actually not.
Well, I'm leaving. I'm not going to stay here if you're simply going to disagree.
The Federalist seems like the type of newspaper that says the eclipse was caused by aliens or something, and that the world would end in 2024. Hence, why I stay far away from clickbaity articles. :)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There is a reason why Christianity is the Gold Standard of civilization. There is a reason why America was built on a Christian foundation. Be careful, very careful what you choose and why.

This. This right here, that's the problem.

Read the New Testament, where did Jesus or the Apostles talk about doing civilization? Where do they talk about a religious ethno-state?

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟305,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Federalist seems like the type of newspaper that says the eclipse was caused by aliens or something, and that the world would end in 2024. Hence, why I stay far away from clickbaity articles. :)
I'm not quite sure what their thing is, but a quick perusal indicates that they at least flirt with all of the nastiest edges of the American right (Christian nationalism, authoritarianism, xenophobia/nativism, etc.). It's weird, because they took their name from the title of the most famous intellectual discourse on the Constitution.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟700,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If the Lord ever were here

If you do decide to stay, I just want to point out that this is one of the better forums that has a mixture of faith group and non faith groups actively posting.

Most of the people who you noticed posting aren't necessarily Christian. This particular section is open to anyone who likes to participate without qualification.

People will mock your faith, sometimes if you're honest you can even understand why, if you can recall your worldview prior to becoming saved yourself.

But it's part and parcel of life really. For most Americans this forum is like walking out the front door of your house. It provides us opportunities for discussion that might not exist elsewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,418.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There is a reason why Christianity is the Gold Standard of civilization.
I should like to know what the Gold Standard of civilisation might be. Could it be America?

Which brand of Christianity sets this standard?

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,197.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The future of the post-Christian West isn’t some secular liberal utopia, it’s a pagan empire in which might makes right.
[from the OP citation]

It is true that there is a well established, long-term decline in church-going in America and here in the UK too. That is not a sign of a resurgence of paganism but rather evidence of a decline in belief in the supernatural.

Frankly, to me the tolerance in society of people other than the stereotypical heterosexual is a sign of moral progress.
" Stunning" means " vaguely perceptible if
you squint just right"

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,197.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you do decide to stay, I just want to point out that this is one of the better forums that has a mixture of faith group and non faith groups actively posting.

Most of the people who you noticed posting aren't necessarily Christian. This particular section is open to anyone who likes to participate without qualification.

People will mock your faith, sometimes if you're honest you can even understand why, if you can recall your worldview prior to becoming saved yourself.

But it's part and parcel of life really. For most Americans this forum is like walking out the front door of your house. It provides us opportunities for discussion that might not exist elsewhere.
" Mock your faith".

Are you sure? Is that in the christians only
zone?

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not quite sure what their thing is, but a quick perusal indicates that they at least flirt with all of the nastiest edges of the American right (Christian nationalism, authoritarianism, xenophobia/nativism, etc.). It's weird, because they took their name from the title of the most famous intellectual discourse on the Constitution.
Agreed 100% man. Kinda ironic that a paper with the name of "Federalist" supports unconstitutional measures. I am fed up with the right in the USA (I am pro-life, but am against the fearmongering of the right, so I am center-left). If Trump gets elected in 2024, I'd rather be in the EU. I looked at the website also, and it seems extremely racist.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟305,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Agreed 100% man. Kinda ironic that a paper with the name of "Federalist" supports unconstitutional measures. I am fed up with the right in the USA (I am pro-life, but am against the fearmongering of the right, so I am center-left). If Trump gets elected in 2024, I'd rather be in the EU. I looked at the website also, and it seems extremely racist.
I thought about adding "white supremacy" to my list of far right things that "Federalist" "flirts" with, but didn't want to stir up a pointless back reaction. But, I agree with you on your assessment.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That pretty much is the history of humanity. No golden era.
Just a few specific people here and there, now and then who bring some love into the world.

It would be wonderful if we were all a bit more like Fred Rogers. But living in this world, where dog eats dog, we guard ourselves often with cynicism. Because living truly vulnerably is dangerous. Now I'd say it is precisely that kind of vulnerability that Jesus calls His disciples to have and live, the vulnerability He Himself lived and demonstrated; it's the vulnerability St. Paul talks about in Philippians chapter 2. It's the unrealized ideal of the Christian way; to reference GK Chesterton, the "Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting, it's been found hard and left untried".

That as Christians we fail to live up to our calling in Christ, while a tragedy itself, is not the deep concern I think we should have. The reality of sin, that we are ourselves sinners who are always in need of the healing mercy of God's grace is firmly grounded in Scripture and our historic and common Christian confession. Not that we excuse our failure and hypocrisies; but that we acknowledge them, repent of them, and show each other a measure of grace--we are only small, weak, and human after all.

What should be of deep concern is when we cease to regard the Christian ideal as the ideal, when we no longer are recognizing our own sin, weakness, and hypocrisy. When we are no longer saying, "Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner." And instead we puff our chest out and arrogantly declare our own holiness.

That we fail to take up our cross, and that we stumble time and again, that's not the real danger. The danger is when we, like the Laodiceans in the Apocalypse of St. John, are turning our gaze away from Christ, and saying "We are rich and prosperous, needing nothing".

What happens when we are not only like the world, but worse than the world? How arrogant would we have to be to imagine that just because we call ourselves "Christian" that we are immune to the cheap vanities of this present age? Or as though we can, somehow, take power and call it evil when it is used out there, but somehow if we wed ourselves to it, we can somehow baptize power and it ceases to evil simply because we wield it. A sword does not become holy because it is a Christian who wields it, the Christian is not holy and therefore makes holy whatever he or she touches. Christ says it is not what enters a man that makes him impure, but what comes out.

If I do that which is evil, it remains evil. And I myself am found evil for doing it. Evil does not become good when it is done by a Christian. There is no such thing as holy thievery or pious murder or godly abuse. Evil is evil, and those who think themselves pious when they commit evil are, at best, delusional and at worst children of the devil himself; as Christ says in the Gospel of John.

I am, and have been, deeply troubled by the trends of a spirituality that amounts to, "I thank you Lord that I am not like these sinners over there". The Law should often be a sharp knife, that cuts and causes us pain and discomfort in our own conscience: I have not loved as I should love, I have not turned the other cheek, I have not loved my enemy, I have not trusted in God--I have asserted myself, I have denied others love, I have retaliated evil with evil, I have despised others, I have put more faith in myself than in God. God, be merciful to me, a sinner.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0