America’s Stunning Embrace Of Paganism Signals The End Of This Country As We Know It

MegChristian

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2024
USA
✟38,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We are not talking about the imminent return of pre-Christian polytheism as the state religion. The new paganism will not necessarily come with the outward trappings of the old, but it will be no less pagan for all that. It will be defined, as it always was, by the belief that nothing is true, everything is permitted. And that belief will produce, as it always has, a world defined almost entirely by power: the strong subjugating or discarding the weak, and the weak doing what they must to survive. That’s why nearly all pagan civilizations, especially the most “advanced” ones, were slave empires. The more advanced they were, the more brutal and violent they became.

The same thing will eventually happen in our time. The lionization of abortion, the rise of transgenderism, the normalization of euthanasia, the destruction of the family, the sexualization of children and mainstreaming of pedophilia, and the emergence of a materialist supernaturalism as a substitute for traditional religion are all happening right now as a result of Christianity’s decline.

We should understand all of these things as signs of paganism’s return, remembering that paganism was not just the ritual embodiment of sincere religious belief but an entire sociopolitical order. The mystery cults of pagan Rome and Babylon were not just theatrical or fanciful expressions of polytheistic urges in the populace, they were mechanisms of social control.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm more concerned with what I view as a "paganization" of Christianity. The Church in America becoming, effectively, an ethnic folk religion; the view of God as chiefly a tribal deity interested in the preservation of the tribe, viewing power and violence as intrinsically virtuous. Fear and hostility directed toward "the other", placing a greater importance on tribal same-ness, the treatment of religion as cultural garb and as a means of maintaining a societal status-quo.

The Cult of the Deus Americanus, the "American God", with a triumphalist view of the ethnos, the nation or tribe. "America first", American exceptionalism, expressions of Christian Nationalism; these are all deeply "pagan" in sentiment; in the sense of religion as folk ritual and folk practice, deeply attached to home, hearth, kin, family, tribe, nation, et al.

The nation is held as sacred, with its myths that champion the sacralization of the nation and its symbols. The sacred symbols of America include its national flag, its Constitution, and other "sacred" documents. With sacred heroes of near-divine status, and associated myths about them (just take a gander of the treatment of the American founding fathers, of various generals, presidents, etc and the mythologies we wrap them in).

Recently the former president of the United States has endorsed a Bible that includes, within its bound volume, a copy of the US Constitution, the Bill of Rights, etc. There are certainly myriad problems with this from a Christian perspective. Least of which is a clear religious syncratism with American folk-paganism; and presents the books of the Christian holy canon as being attached to the American Cult's own sacred canon. A blending and blurring of lines.

With all of this, and I feel like I'm only scratching the tip of the iceberg, perhaps it makes more sense for Christians in America to do some serious introspection, and perhaps do some house cleaning. Seems a bit hypocritical being upset that non-Christians aren't being Christian when we, calling ourselves Christian, are doing such a bad job at it. Seems problematic to, with a host of profane idols which we regularly bow and offer incense to, then turn the finger and decry the idols out there. I can't accuse my neighbor of having an idol all the while I keep an image of Ba'al in my house.

Expecting those outside of the Church to be too stupid to see the hypocrisy for what it is says more about our own failure to recognize just how deeply and profoundly in a state of wrongness we are ourselves. As though they won't be able to see that the emperor has no clothes.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The lionization of abortion, the rise of transgenderism, the normalization of euthanasia, the destruction of the family, the sexualization of children and mainstreaming of pedophilia, and the emergence of a materialist supernaturalism as a substitute for traditional religion are all happening right now...
Is this all happening in Conneticut right now? Maybe you should move.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this all happening in Conneticut right now? Maybe you should move.
Yeah, the title of the article by OP seems a little clickbait. Bad stuff has always been happening. Social media and sensationalist news exacerbates it though. :)

Upvote 0

Scarred

too many wounds to count...
Mar 1, 2024
US
✟8,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Wow...

I just read the OP's post and then everyone else's replies to it.

Talk about blind.

Three of you have your heads so firmly in the sand, you think heaven will come to earth; all you have to do is wait for the angels to bring you your margaritas. Anyone tries to warn you lot of problems coming and the first thought you get is "let's be as much a bunch of jerks as we can think to be".

Seriously... with a witness like that, the atheists probably have your portraits up on their wall with the titl:e "our greatest suppliers of new recruits".

Meantime, the other thinks that we should just focus on ourselves and never mind the encroaching forces of darkness. I think Christianity in this neck of the world has become too 'murica focused, but to ignore the fact that Satan wants to reintroduce paganism into society and bring man back to pre-flood times is in my opinion spiritual suicide.

Then we got one who hasn't paid attention to the convo and thinks this is "happening only in Connecticut" (and thinks Pink Floyd lyrics are ripe fodder for one's profile). We get it: you're not a believer. But isn't it rather uncharitable to skewer someone trying to warn people of something that resulted in civilizations that worshiped Moloch, Samhain or Tonatiuh with bloody sacrifices?

If you think a return to those times is a good idea, you just might want to consult someone about your state of mind.

The last one: anything they dislike is "clickbait". Never mind actually reading it and seeing if there's anything to it.

Nothing like an open mind, right?

In my travels, I never thought I would ever find a form site worse than Worthy Christian Forums. Sad to say, I finally have. Post after post, topic after topic, I saw you folks rip and shred one another to bits and not once demonstrate any forgiveness or seeking after the Lord's will.

Tonight, I finally had enough after what you did to this poor woman. I'm done with this place.

MegChristian, do yourself a favor: flee this place immediately. If the Lord ever were here, He hasn't been to these forms in some time, and all that's left to do is to wipe the dust from the soles of your feet off against them in protest.

God bless you ma'am.

-Scarred.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow...

Talk about blind.

Three of you have your heads so firmly in the sand, you think heaven will come to earth; all you have to do is wait for the angels to bring you your margaritas. Anyone tries to warn you lot of problems coming and the first thought you get is "let's be as much a bunch of jerks as we can think to be".

Seriously... with a witness like that, the atheists probably have your portraits up on their wall with the titl:e "our greatest suppliers of new recruits".

Meantime, the other thinks that we should just focus on ourselves and never mind the encroaching forces of darkness. I think Christianity in this neck of the world has become too 'murica focused, but to ignore the fact that Satan wants to reintroduce paganism into society and bring man back to pre-flood times is in my opinion spiritual suicide.

Then we got one who hasn't paid attention to the convo and thinks this is "happening only in Connecticut" (and thinks Pink Floyd lyrics are ripe fodder for one's profile). We get it: you're not a believer. But isn't it rather uncharitable to skewer someone trying to warn people of something that resulted in civilizations that worshiped Moloch, Samhain or Tonatiuh with bloody sacrifices?

If you think a return to those times is a good idea, you just might want to consult someone about your state of mind.

The last one: anything they dislike is "clickbait". Never mind actually reading it and seeing if there's anything to it.

In my travels, I never thought I would ever find a form site worse than Worthy Christian Forums. Sad to say, I finally have. Post after post, topic after topic, I saw you folks rip and shred one another to bits and not once demonstrate any forgiveness or seeking after the Lord's will.

Tonight, I finally had enough after what you did to this poor woman. I'm done with this place.

MegChristian, do yourself a favor: flee this place immediately. If the Lord ever were here, He hasn't been to these forms in some time, and all that's left to do is to wipe the dust from the soles of your feet off against them in protest.

God bless you ma'am.

-Scarred.
I am a Christian in his 20s, and Pink Floyd is cool stuff, especially compared to the demonic stuff on the radio today by these rappers and pop stars such as Sam Smith. Also, Netflix has become garbage over the past 5 years with shows depicting teens crushing on each other, instead of the wholesome classic shows of years past. My friend has been sucked into paganism before I met him, so it is real, but the article could have done a better job of explaining this. Both Biden and Trump are leading the US the wrong way. The two party system is not the answer.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟305,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wow...

Talk about blind.

I don't think "heaven" exists or angels nor I am I interested in either (or margaritas.
Witness to what? I just see another attempt to gin up a moral panic from the moral degenerates at The Federalist.
I don't believe in your satan or spirits either.
Human sacrifice is illegal. That isn't going to change, no matter which god someone claims to worship.

I'm all for less religion overall.

I know a pointless moral panic when i see what. Paganism, Christianity, Islam, it's all just religion to me.

Toodles.

God bless you ma'am.

-Scarred.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yikes. Four posts and you're outa here? The fight has left you weak. So I guess it's b'iii.

I'll see you on the dark side of the moon...

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yikes. Four posts and you're outa here? The fight has left you weak. So I guess it's b'iii.

I'll see you on the dark side of the moon...
Agreed. This man/woman gave up so quickly on this forum. Speaking of the dark side of the moon (Pink Floyd reference), I am so excited for the eclipse. My manager at work will let me see the eclipse at the company's observatory, and yes, the company that I work for has a nerdy founder, so of course there is a telescope at my work place. 89% of the sun will be covered where I live. :) Wish we got a total eclipse though.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. This man/woman gave up so quickly on this forum. Speaking of the dark side of the moon (Pink Floyd reference), I am so excited for the eclipse. My manager at work will let me see the eclipse at the company's observatory, and yes, the company that I work for has a nerdy founder, so of course there is a telescope at my work place. 89% of the sun will be covered where I live. :) Wish we got a total eclipse though.
We won't see it down here. Sydney gets a total eclipse in 2028.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟108,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We won't see it down here. Sydney gets a total eclipse in 2028.
Nice, so just 4 years away for you guys down in Aussieland. Hey, at least we are not in Germany. Those folks do not get a total eclipse until 2081: Solar eclipse of September 3, 2081 - Wikipedia

Anyways, it is getting late in my area, and I need to rest up for the big day tomorrow. Have a wonderful day brother. And hey, together you and I can convince the Christians here that climate change is real (I know you are not Christian, but my favorite scientists Lemaitre and Gregor Mendel are, and you and I both care about climate). So together, Christian and atheist can unite to combat misinformation and clickbait. Anthropogenic global warming is much more pressing compared to the clickbait article by the OP.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟495,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You've joined barely a month ago and have a whole 4 posts under your belt.

I don't know how we'll go on without you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟162,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow...

Talk about blind.

This is apparently in reference to Desk trauma, comana, and Hans Blaster. All of them are atheists. I'm not sure exactly why you are expecting them to be Christian? If your complaint is there being a bunch of atheists, if someone wants posts only by Christians, there's plenty of subforums that only allow that (the Christian Philosophy & Ethics subforum is basically the Christian-only counterpart to this subforum; it's not quite as active, but of course that can happen when there's fewer people allowed to post).

This is apparently in reference to ViaCrucis. But ViaCrucis's whole argument, at least as I understand it, wasn't to "never mind the encroaching forces of darkness", but to rather assert that the "encroaching forces of darkness" are empowered because of Christian behavior, and that said behavior should be corrected.

This one is apparently regarding Bradskii (it was a little confusing at first because you say "happening only in Connecticut" as if it was a quote, and he never said that phrase), who you at least recognize as an unbeliever unlike when you complained about three non-Christians not acting Christian. However, Moloch, Samhain, and Tonatiuh are never mentioned in the article, so even the article itself isn't trying to warn people of what you say. It never brings up human sacrifice either.

And while this might be pedantic, I should point out that people didn't "worship" Samhain, as it was a yearly event, not a deity. It is not clear if there were even any human sacrifices at Samhaim; looking into it a little, some literature claimed there was in the past, but those works are viewed as being highly embellished if not outright legendary, so it's difficult to know if such accounts are based on actual truth.

How do you know AlexB23 didn't read it? I can't speak for him, but in my experience, AlexB23 is actually pretty good at reading articles and a lot of his posts are simply offering summaries of articles people post.

Even if he did not read it, the title does seem to be clickbait (and it's from The Federalist, a website that has a good amount of exaggerated clickbait in my experience). It brings up some worrisome trends in American culture, and fair enough on that part, but then spends most of it trying to liken it to paganism, which I feel is tenuous and perhaps distracting from the actual issues.

I know basically nothing about Worthy Christian Forums. Given your post I expect you won't be returning to reply, but I'll ask anyway: What's so bad about them?

Well, if you don't like a forum, quitting makes some sense.

God bless you ma'am.

-Scarred.
If you're going to tell someone to leave a forum and go elsewhere, it might be a good idea to give a recommendation on what forum you think they should go to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,418.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The future of the post-Christian West isn’t some secular liberal utopia, it’s a pagan empire in which might makes right.
[from the OP citation]

It is true that there is a well established, long-term decline in church-going in America and here in the UK too. That is not a sign of a resurgence of paganism but rather evidence of a decline in belief in the supernatural.

Frankly, to me the tolerance in society of people other than the stereotypical heterosexual is a sign of moral progress.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll be sure to take The Federalist's advice in fighting paganism by voting for the thrice-married, openly-philandering, race-baiting former casino magnate and playboy coverdude who also hocks bibles.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'll be sure to take The Federalist's advice in fighting paganism by voting for the thrice-married, openly-philandering, race-baiting former casino magnate and playboy coverdude who also hocks bibles.

Not just Bibles, but extra special over-priced America Bibles, with its own Newer Testament added.

Years ago I came across a collection of "Bible figure" cards, cards with pictures and information of important biblical figures like Samson, King David, etc. But it was a special set, it was the "Founding Fathers" edition, so it also came with George Washington, James Madison, etc. It was very weird, why would there be a "Founding Fathers" edition in the first place? What does George Washington have to do with the patriarchs, prophets, or the apostles?

But this? This Trump-endorsed Bible? This is a lot worse. Not because Trump is endorsing it, but because the US Constitution has no place in the Bible. End of discussion.

Whenever I've talked about how American nationalism is its own kind of folk religion in the past, I have been routinely chastised and ridiculed for saying something "outrageous". But time and again we see things like this happen, and we're just supposed to pretend like it's normal?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It will be defined, as it always was, by the belief that nothing is true, everything is permitted. And that belief will produce, as it always has, a world defined almost entirely by power: the strong subjugating or discarding the weak, and the weak doing what they must to survive.
That pretty much is the history of humanity. No golden era.
Just a few specific people here and there, now and then who bring some love into the world.

Upvote 0