Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A lot of people do not understand what abortion actually is. Trying to save the life of the mother is not considered abortion and ideally they can save the child as well. If not and the child is lost, that is not considered a procured abortion. What the media is feeding the public concerning this issue is extremely slanted and calling conditions such as ectopic pregnancies abortion is just a flat out lie. The major danger with miscarriage is what can be left in the uterus after the miscarriage occurs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,200,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A lot of people do not understand what abortion actually is. Trying to save the life of the mother is not considered abortion and ideally they can save the child as well. If not and the child is lost, that is not considered a procured abortion. What the media is feeding the public concerning this issue is extremely slanted and calling conditions such as ectopic pregnancies abortion is just a flat out lie.
Yes the same medical procedure magically changes to something else when it goes from elective to non-elective.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,732,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes the same medical procedure magically changes to something else when it goes from elective to non-elective.
No it’s not the same procedure. I know of no women that go through major surgery for an abortion.

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,732,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep, I know, it’s magiced into something else to square with the no abortions ever nonsense.
It’s not nonsense. The narrative you are being fed is. I talked to my doctors and a few others concerning the issue. It is not abortion. It is not the same procedure as you keep insisting. I’ve been through it. Ectopic pregnancies are rarely discovered until it’s too late.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟205,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s not nonsense. The narrative you are being fed is. I talked to my doctors and a few others concerning the issue. It is not abortion. It is not the same procedure as you keep insisting. I’ve been through it. Ectopic pregnancies are rarely discovered until it’s too late.
I think the sentiment you're trying to articulate is "The intent and action of terminating an unwanted pregnancy".

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,732,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the sentiment you're trying to articulate is "The intent and action of terminating an unwanted pregnancy".
That and treating an ectopic pregnancy and other medical emergencies in pregnancy are not the same procedure as abortion.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,200,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't understand that underlined part. If there is a risk of miscarriage, why not just take the risk?
Just forbid them all, can’t maintain the domestic supply of infants without breaking a few incubators.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟876,390.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The major danger with miscarriage is what can be left in the uterus after the miscarriage occurs.
Would that be the answer to the question I asked in post #20?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,732,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would that be the answer to the question I asked in post #20?
I suppose so. Miscarriages are rarely dangerous in the process unless there is hemorrhaging. The danger is after a miscarriage to prevent uterine infection. A DNC is usually performed after depending on how far along a women was.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟107,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand that underlined part. If there is a risk of miscarriage, why not just take the risk?
Unless the miscarriage leads to a dangerous infection

• Agree
Upvote 0

epostle

Oct 29, 2019
Hamilton
✟27,227.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Abortion as Pagan Sacrifice

We know what the word “sacrifice” means. It means the surrender of something precious to the god in whom a person believes. Sacrifices have been part of world religions since the dawn of recorded history. Without exception, the deities of all the religions of the ancient world demanded sacrifices in their honor. The Egyptians and Babylonians, the Greeks and Romans, the deities of pre-Christian India and of the continent of Africa required that their adherents offer what we call sacrifices in their name.

What is less well known, however, is that these religions also required the sacrifice of children as an oblation and even as a condition, for obtaining blessings from the gods. We read in the Office of Readings for today’s Divine Office that the Lord spoke through the prophet Jeremiah, charging the Jews of imitating the pagans in their practice of child homicide. Said the Lord, “They have built high places for Baal to immolate their sons in fire as holocausts to Baal: such a thing as I neither commanded nor spoke of, nor did it ever enter my mind.”

As we read statements like foregoing, we ask ourselves: how could human beings be so deluded as to seriously believe that their gods required human sacrifice as a condition for receiving divine favors? The key word is “deluded.” Thirty years of teaching comparative religion has taught me that there is no limit to the irrational, indeed insane, practices that religious mythology will not put into practice as a mandate from the deities in whom they believed. Thus we read in the history of the Aztecs in South America before Columbus that they would kill up to ten thousand children on a major feast day in honor of one of their gods. Although seldom mentioned, infanticide as a religious ritual was practiced in India before its colonization by Great Britain.

We return to the theses that should be explored far beyond the time we can give it in this conference. Abortion as the widespread practice that it has become today is incredibly a religious practice. It is inspired by the evil spirits who, in Christian terms, were and are the malignant deities of paganism. These deities, often goddesses, demanded the sacrifice of children to be propitiated. Unless children were killed and offered to these gods, they would avenge their anger against the people in the most devastating ways.
read more here

Upvote 0

epostle

Oct 29, 2019
Hamilton
✟27,227.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

Question:​

What is the Church’s teaching on ectopic pregnancies?

Answer:​

Moral actions that produce two effects need to be evaluated under the Catholic understanding of the principle of double effect:
  1. The action must be either morally good or neutral.
  2. The bad effect must not be the means by which the good effect is achieved.
  3. The intention must be the achieving of only the good effect; the bad effect can in no way be intended and must be avoided if possible.
  4. The good effect must be at least equivalent in proportion to the bad effect.
An ectopic pregnancy occurs when the fertilized ovum implants in the fallopian tube or in some other location. A mother facing a tubal pregnancy risks imminent rupture of the fallopian tube, and thus, there exists a danger to the lives of both the mother and the child.
Removing the fallopian tube is considered in accordance with the principle of double effect:
  1. Removing a part of the body that is about to rupture and cause the death of the individual is a morally good action.
  2. The death of the child is not the direct intention of the procedure. It is the removal of the fallopian tube that saves the life of the mother, not causes the death of the child.
  3. The death of the child is not willed and would be avoided if at all possible—if, for example, re-implantation in the womb were reasonably possible.
  4. The life of the mother is, of course, equal to the life of the child.
source
Bottom line: intentional killing a baby to save the mother is a false narrative. It just isn't real.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟376,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Getting in a bit late here. This is poll choice #4:

Yes to save a life/babys

Not to be nitpicking, but without elaboration, terminating a pregnancy to save the life of a fetus is self-contradictory., Unless the situation is a multiple--especially high multiple pregnancy. Where it may not be possible to successfully deliver the entire brood. One or more of the unborn may have to be sacrificed in order to save the lives of several other fetuses, and the mom.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟966,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If she was a woman seeking my advice, such as my wife, as much as I love and cherish her, I would encourage her to choose the life of the child over her own.
In an ectopic pregnancy, the baby will die whether you save the mother or not.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟145,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My view of abortion is this thing below, written by my artificial intelligence that I run on my laptop.
I agree with you Alex but who will determine if a woman has been raped when she makes that claim? How will that be determined?
I’m afraid if abortion is outlawed people will resort to illegal and possibly even worse methods of ending their pregnancies.
I would like to save every unborn child but I don’t see how it’s possible

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟107,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you Alex but who will determine if a woman has been raped when she makes that claim? How will that be determined?
I’m afraid if abortion is outlawed people will resort to illegal and possibly even worse methods of ending their pregnancies.
I would like to save every unborn child but I don’t see how it’s possible
That is for society to figure out. Abortions can be reduced, but not entirely. We need an independent rape victim verification system.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟145,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is for society to figure out. Abortions can be reduced, but not entirely. We need an independent rape victim verification system.
While I am personally opposed to abortion, I don’t want to make it illegal. The public seems to want legal abortions with some restrictions. I think more effort needs to be put into educating people on what abortion really is and trying to change their minds

Upvote 0