Why do people do this? It makes me crazy!

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,243,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
You are reading or watching something on tv and they talk over everything! You can’t make it past a paragraph or watch something you are trying to enjoy. Do they not realize what they are doing?

Not sure how to handle it without coming off as rude.

*Vent over.
I think I understand what you're saying. I have this issue at work sometimes.

When I'm on my break, I like to read an e-book. I have co-workers who might not pick up on my absorption in said book. I will acknowledge when I'm spoken to, but I keep my responses detached and brief before resuming my reading. Eventually, the message is received... more or less. My breaks are only 15 minutes long, so I have to be persistent in not encouraging too much engagement if I'm feeling the need for peace and quiet during that time.

I've thought about bringing my earbuds in and putting them on while on my break. Earbuds seem to have a way of suggesting that conversation needs to wait a bit.

-

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,685,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I understand what you're saying. I have this issue at work sometimes.

When I'm on my break, I like to read an e-book. I have co-workers who might not pick up on my absorption in said book. I will acknowledge when I'm spoken to, but I keep my responses detached and brief before resuming my reading. Eventually, the message is received... more or less. My breaks are only 15 minutes long, so I have to be persistent in not encouraging too much engagement if I'm feeling the need for peace and quiet during that time.

I've thought about bringing my earbuds in and putting them on while on my break. Earbuds seem to have a way of suggesting that conversation needs to wait a bit.

-
I’m big on hard copy. I love books but that is a great idea. Thank you. I spoke with my husband today about the situation with our friends. I was almost in tears I felt so bad about it. I do not know what is going on with our friends situation but it almost seems like he is not allowed to come up without her and I actually feel like a babysitter. It would be fine but constant talking and being talked at just really makes me feel claustrophobic. I like her but she is not gifted in the art of conversation. I know it is not just my quirks because my mother in law was uncomfortable as well. There is no give and take in it. I know they are happily married but her husband thinks that all women are like that. I’m not like that. I really care about them both but I’m already under a lot of pressure and I do need time to unwind and decompress. Constant chatter is very unnerving to me. Her husband comes up to visit my husband and they go off to do whatever project they are doing at the time and it can be hours. It just exhausts me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟652,869.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
You are reading or watching something on tv and they talk over everything! You can’t make it past a paragraph or watch something you are trying to enjoy. Do they not realize what they are doing?

*Vent over.
Build a house in a tree.

(and pull up the ladder when you get home)

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟694,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

*Vent over.

My son is the worst at this. I just stop what I'm doing and have the conversation...

Is it frustrating? Sometimes it can be, but with my son I'll be like, that was the good part you know...

But he's silly enough to say he's more important.. and he's not wrong. :)

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟842,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

*Vent over.

My usual response is to find something to do that doesn't involve others, like living alone. If I have to be around others, I lower my expectations significantly. Reading around others is a lost cause unless they also enjoy reading and understand why one reads. Some people act like reading is something a person does when they would rather talk. And so, they try to relieve you of the misery of reading by talking to you. They just don't understand, which means my expectations are too high and are bound to be disappointed. On the other hand, all TV watching should be interrupted.

• Informative
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,685,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My son is the worst at this. I just stop what I'm doing and have the conversation...

Is it frustrating? Sometimes it can be, but with my son I'll be like, that was the good part you know...

But he's silly enough to say he's more important.. and he's not wrong. :)
The problem is I’m dealing with an adult and there is no conversation. Lol! I discussed it with my husband and he understands my concern. What’s next? I don’t know as of yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟694,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The problem is I’m dealing with an adult and there is no conversation. Lol! I discussed it with my husband and he understands my concern. What’s next? I don’t know as of yet.

I'll pray for you...

• Friendly
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0