Why do people do this? It makes me crazy!

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are reading or watching something on tv and they talk over everything! You can’t make it past a paragraph or watch something you are trying to enjoy. Do they not realize what they are doing?

Not sure how to handle it without coming off as rude.

*Vent over.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is called controlling the narrative. By making you feel as you have said, eventually you will give up trying to ascertain facts for yourself and simply make life simpler for yourself by listening solely to them and their programmed narrative, letting them do the thinking for you. Typical mind control.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is called controlling the narrative. By making you feel as you have said, eventually you will give up trying to ascertain facts for yourself and simply make life simpler for yourself by listening solely to them and their programmed narrative, letting them do the thinking for you. Typical mind control.
Not sure I agree with that. I think some people are just clueless they are doing it. Although, I do not understand how.

Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps if you gave an example?
You are reading a book. It’s obvious you are reading and the person keeps talking. Repeatedly.

Same if you are watching something.

Same if you are obviously concentrating or busy with something else. Cooking, etc

I have several people in my life that do this and it makes me crazy.

Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have several people in my life that do this and it makes me crazy.
Oh ok, got it. You are talking on a personal level rather than media over talking. Yes that seems like a case of self absorption (the original sin) on their part as they think out loud regardless of if anybody wants to listen :), unless of course they demand attention where that is just poor manners. Hope I didn't type this while you were pre-occupied.

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh ok, got it. You are talking on a personal level rather than media over talking. Yes that seems like a case of self absorption (the original sin) on their part as they think out loud regardless of if anybody wants to listen :), unless of course they demand attention where that is just poor manners. Hope I didn't type this while you were pre-occupied.

I guess I do not get the mindset of feeling okay doing that sort of thing. Have you experienced yourself? If so, how do you avoid hurting someone’s feelings?

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟27,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are reading or watching something on tv and they talk over everything! You can’t make it past a paragraph or watch something you are trying to enjoy. Do they not realize what they are doing?

*Vent over.
I dumped TV back in 1997. Changed my life. It's also one reason I'm an outlier on so many modern cultural and political issues. I'm not getting the propaganda.

BTW, one huge change it made that I never saw coming: It pretty much wiped out any consumerism I had. I also lost 55 lbs because I wasn't seeing all those restaurant and fast food ads, etc.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I dumped TV back in 1997. Changed my life. It's also one reason I'm an outlier on so many modern cultural and political issues. I'm not getting the propaganda.

BTW, one huge change it made that I never saw coming: It pretty much wiped out any consumerism I had. I also lost 55 lbs because I wasn't seeing all those restaurant and fast food ads, etc.
I like classic movies. As far as commercials, I speed right through those.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes I have. I don't think I can deter another's self absorption by engaging in my own. But if I am in the midst of something that does demand my immediate attention then I don't mind saying 'hang on a minute'. But each to their own.
I guess so.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟27,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like classic movies. As far as commercials, I speed right through those.
Yep. The internet was in its infancy when I dumped TV. I bought a lot of DVD's from pawn shops and used Netflix. But now I have two streaming services I actually pay for monthly: Amazon Prime, because it comes with prime, and Youtube Premium, because I use it for work in my band and lots of other stuff.

In fact, Prime started including commercials a month or so ago. I stopped using it. When you've not had to deal with commercials in almost 30 years, it's a paradigm that is simply unbearable. Heck, I have a Roku TV that offers all sorts of free movies from various channels like ROKU, Freevee, Hulu, etc. But I would get to the first commercial and switch it off. I don't fall for it any more. They have a perfect right to support themselves with ads, and I have a perfect right to not support that paradigm.

And as one youtuber said, when a product is free, it means you are the product. People need to think about that when they access "free" pr0n.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Life is what is happening around us while we are making our own plans :)
Yes it is but I do not know how to explain what I have been experiencing. Seems to be a bit more than just life happening around us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep. The internet was in its infancy when I dumped TV. I bought a lot of DVD's from pawn shops and used Netflix. But now I have two streaming services I actually pay for monthly: Amazon Prime, because it comes with prime, and Youtube Premium, because I use it for work in my band and lots of other stuff.

In fact, Prime started including commercials a month or so ago. I stopped using it. When you've not had to deal with commercials in almost 30 years, it's a paradigm that is simply unbearable. Heck, I have a Roku TV that offers all sorts of free movies from various channels like ROKU, Freevee, Hulu, etc. But I would get to the first commercial and switch it off. I don't fall for it any more. They have a perfect right to support themselves with ads, and I have a perfect right to not support that paradigm.

And as one youtuber said, when a product is free, it means you are the product. People need to think about that when they access "free" pr0n.
I won’t bother with Netflix at all.

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟64,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

*Vent over.

As timothyu said, it's self-absorption. A related thing that drives ME crazy is when I try to carry on a conversation with someone who consistently turns the conversation back to herself. (Yes, it's mostly women who do this, which is hard to admit since I'm a woman.) I listen to them talk about their ailments, their kids, their job, etc. and make a comment here or there. Then I mention something going on in my life, get an "oh, really?" and then they pick up talking about themselves again.

Some people just like to hear themselves talk. And that goes back to those talking when you're watching TV or reading. Or people who gab on the phone to the extent you can put it down and come back ten minutes later and they're still yapping. They want attention.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,738,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As timothyu said, it's self-absorption. A related thing that drives ME crazy is when I try to carry on a conversation with someone who consistently turns the conversation back to herself. (Yes, it's mostly women who do this, which is hard to admit since I'm a woman.) I listen to them talk about their ailments, their kids, their job, etc. and make a comment here or there. Then I mention something going on in my life, get an "oh, really?" and then they pick up talking about themselves again.

Some people just like to hear themselves talk. And that goes back to those talking when you're watching TV or reading. Or people who gab on the phone to the extent you can put it down and come back ten minutes later and they're still yapping. They want attention.
Oh yes. Have you ever asked advice on something and they go into a long spiel about something they experienced? Hardly advise. I don’t know. If it’s someone you care about it’s hard to know how to handle it. But I’ll think on it. It just makes me feel better that someone understands and has experienced it. My husband has a friend who has a wife that talks absolutely nonstop talking about herself or her family. It makes me claustrophobic and I do like her. I do not want to hurt her feelings but it’s very hard to handle. I had my mother in law over and she did the same with her. She is a very nice person but just seems to be clueless when it comes to the give and take of conversation. And you are right, you bring anything up and it is literally ignored. I’ve never seen it to that extreme. I’m pretty stressed about it. Quiet time just enjoying the company? Forget about it. :eek:

Upvote 0