US
✟1,119,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The prepping window is nearly closed. I wouldn’t put things off.

I had a hunch that there might be trouble when I heard about the massive lockdowns in China.

I'm fairly well prepared; but this report, from over two weeks ago, supports that hunch.

It would seem that you are correct, that time is short. We might start seeing trouble within a week.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟577,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have actually started dipping into some of our preps, mainly to see how they are keeping. Some are over 10 years old. We opened a mylar bag of dried corn today, put it through the mill, and made some pretty good cornbread. We also had some beans and rice that were about 10 years old. Barb pulled a jar of apples today and made some apple cobbler. Everything we have tested has been just like new. I inspect vacuumed jars once in a while and find some that have to be re-sealed. But overall we are good.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,119,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
There were no bananas today. Crazy!

I bought a case of canned string beans. I already had a few cases I bought 20 pounds of dried beans. I already had about 30 pounds. I bought 10 pounds of sugar. I already had about 15 pounds; and I might use about a pound a year. It's a great barter item though.

I've always held a backstock of non perishable food since I was in my 20's.

In my 20's, on Thursday of almost every week, I would have to decide whether to buy groceries, or put gas in my tank to get to work. Gas would always win. I was living hand to mouth, living frugally, and barely making ends meet.

One day I took a step back, to take two steps forward. That Friday I cashed my paycheck, and found a canned item on sale. It was peas. I lived on peas that week; it was rough; but I ate my fill every day, and had plenty of cans left over. The next week I found another canned vegetable on sale, and stocked up. Now I had options. I continued doing this every week until my pantry was overflowing.

I've lived that way ever since.

• Informative
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my 20's, on Thursday of almost every week, I would have to decide whether to buy groceries, or put gas in my tank to get to work. Gas would always win. I was living hand to mouth, living frugally, and barely making ends meet.

that's tough!

I remember a few months like that when husband was downsized out of a job

we ate baked potatoes every night for months until he got another job

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟577,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We went shopping at Wally World yesterday. We had not been shopping for several weeks and finally broke down. There were shortages of many favorite and brand name items. Also many new "mystery" brands are showing up. We had heard of this for a while now. I think it is just a matter of pricing. The companies could not make it work at lower prices because of the competition. Now because of the higher prices and shortages, these marginal companies can break into the market. Odd.
Yes, prices are higher. There were very few dry beans.
Garden plants at Lowes are higher. 5 Bucks for a 7-inch tomato or pepper plant. Larger plant going for almost 9 bucks.
We are just praising God and confessing "we are well able to take the land..."
No evil confessions here! Sure there are giants in the land and we are but grasshoppers in their sight. Nevertheless, God is on our side!

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟577,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Raise fish in the bottom of the hydroponics or barrel?
You got me.
I think the hydroponics tank might be a good idea. I saw a setup where the fish were in a separate tank, and the water in the tank was fed into the hydroponics system. They said it worked well. But it would seem that putting the fish directly into the hydroponics system would be a shortcut.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,119,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
We went shopping at Wally World yesterday.

I went to Wally World today, to stock up on Old Bay seafood seasoning. Yankees thrive on the stuff; but it's tough to find it in the South. Up North I can buy it by the gallon; but I would usually buy the 16 oz can. Down here, I can only find it in 6 oz cans; and it's tough to find anywhere but Wally World.

They had Bananas!

I was afraid that we were in a banana crisis; but they still make bananas.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,119,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You got me.
I think the hydroponics tank might be a good idea. I saw a setup where the fish were in a separate tank, and the water in the tank was fed into the hydroponics system. They said it worked well. But it would seem that putting the fish directly into the hydroponics system would be a shortcut.

Zachary Bauer went through a lot of time, effort, and expense to build this wonderful off grid system; but in one of his later videos he mentioned that he had abandoned the project.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟577,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bargain Buys: Aldi’s, Trader Joe’s and Walmart

Thanks for these. We may not get to Aldis this week. But it is good to see the bargans.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟577,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is the Food Collapse Being Controlled

I think this is all planned. Something of this high importance that is under a high degree of control cannot be a mistake or the result of errors. We must ask why there is no grain surplus. It was done away with a number of years ago, IMO, for this day.
What will hungry, even starving, people do? In the US we have never really known real hunger. We have never known a day where we could not jog down the street and purchase just about any food we desire. They will even deliver it to your door now. So what will people do when they suddenly cannot feed themselves? What will they do if they see their children crying and hungry? I have asked Christians this question. The ones that are honest all say the same thing. They will do anything it takes to get food for themselves and their kids.
People are unhappy when I point out that they are deciding the answer to this question today. They are deciding that they will either prep or they will rob and steal to get food. If they will not prep, then that is their undeclared plan. They will do anything it takes.
What if the Gov offers them food security? What will they be willing to give up? Some rights? Some freedoms? Some property? All property? I think so.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,119,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
We must ask why there is no grain surplus. It was done away with a number of years ago, IMO, for this day.

According to the reports that I have heard, the Chinese have been buying it up in a very big way. According to reports that I've heard, the Chinese government told their people to stock up for last winter.

I took the Chinese governments advice, and stocked up on grain. I'm still buying it. It's still there for the taking in my neck of the woods. I have acres of wild mesquite trees; and the beans are coming in. They're high in protein. I'm going to grind as much as I can into flour this year. That will probably be hundreds of pounds. I can always put it back into the ground, if no one can use it. Now would be a good time to learn about wild edibles, and take advantage of what grows locally. Dandelion leaves are very nutritious. They can be dried; and they grow like weeds in some areas. 'Tis the season.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟577,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to the reports that I have heard, the Chinese have been buying it up in a very big way. According to reports that I've heard, the Chinese government told their people to stock up for last winter.

I took the Chinese governments advice, and stocked up on grain. I'm still buying it. It's still there for the taking in my neck of the woods. I have acres of wild mesquite trees; and the beans are coming in. They're high in protein. I'm going to grind as much as I can into flour this year. That will probably be hundreds of pounds. I can always put it back into the ground, if no one can use it. Now would be a good time to learn about wild edibles, and take advantage of what grows locally. Dandelion leaves are very nutritious. They can be dried; and they grow like weeds in some areas. 'Tis the season.
Yes, we have added about 100 pounds to our grain stocks in the last few months. Soft white is the hardest to get. Our latest 25 pound bag was 59 bucks!:eek:

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟667,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
200 Common Baking Substitutions

I have compiled this ultimate substitution list so we can still enjoy many of our favorite foods using the basic foods that we have stored in our prepper pantry even when we run short on an ingredient.

See the list.

Is that you in the video at 28:40?

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0