Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bird Flu Outbreak Leads to Deaths of 12.6 Million Birds in U.S.

A bird flu outbreak is forcing farmers to put down millions of turkeys and chickens in eight states.

The discovery of the disease in an egg-laying farm in Iowa Friday meant that 5.3 million chickens were scheduled for euthanization on that farm alone, AP News reported. This brings the total number of chickens or turkeys that have or will be killed up to almost 12.6 million.

Source: EcoWatch
Are they still edible, at that point?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Bird Flu Outbreak Leads to Deaths of 12.6 Million Birds in U.S.

A bird flu outbreak is forcing farmers to put down millions of turkeys and chickens in eight states.

The discovery of the disease in an egg-laying farm in Iowa Friday meant that 5.3 million chickens were scheduled for euthanization on that farm alone, AP News reported. This brings the total number of chickens or turkeys that have or will be killed up to almost 12.6 million.

Source: EcoWatch

7 chickens hatched in my incubator last week. I have 22 more chicken eggs in the incubator; and my goose is sitting on top of a big pile of her infertile eggs, with many chicken eggs mixed in.

If you can raise chickens; do it.

I'm having trouble giving away free, free range chicken eggs, before I have to dispose of them.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Have you tried egg glassing?

I have not. It doesn't make much sense to me; as I have more fresh eggs, than I can give away. Let alone preserved eggs. I put the extras about 2 acres away from the coop. The possums are happy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟666,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
7 chickens hatched in my incubator last week. I have 22 more chicken eggs in the incubator; and my goose is sitting on top of a big pile of her infertile eggs, with many chicken eggs mixed in.

If you can raise chickens; do it.

I'm having trouble giving away free, free range chicken eggs, before I have to dispose of them.

If egg prices skyrocket from all the chicken-culling being done, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people who would take/buy them from you.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If egg prices skyrocket from all the chicken-culling being done, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people who would take/buy them from you.

We shall see. Eggs are so cheap as it is, that I wouldn't expect to make any significant money. However, it does take about a year to get from a chick to a layer. A hit to the egg market could easily last a year, IMO.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Just curious. Thought there were periods of time when hens don"t lay so it was a way to have eggs. Know they can be frozen, too. Just wondering about using them from those 2 methods.

It has to do with light. They lay more when the days are longer. You can get them to lay more in the winter; by using artificial light; but I don't do that. I believe that our creator designed chickens to have a rest; and I won't take that away from them.

An average layer will give you about an egg per day. I have brahmas which are average layers. They're beautiful, docile, birds, and cold hearty. They will do well in most states; and to my knowledge only the Jersey giant is bigger. Many cities allow backyard hens. With three hens you would probably have more eggs than your family would want to eat.

I put mine on a high protein diet; but I can't grow them this big.

This fellow cracks me up.:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟666,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It has to do with light. They lay more when the days are longer. You can get them to lay more in the winter; by using artificial light; but I don't do that. I believe that our creator designed chickens to have a rest; and I won't take that away from them.

An average layer will give you about an egg per day. I have brahmas which are average layers. They're beautiful, docile, birds, and cold hearty. They will do well in most states; and to my knowledge only the Jersey giant is bigger. Many cities allow backyard hens. With three hens you would probably have more eggs than your family would want to eat.

I put mine on a high protein diet; but I can't grow them this big.

This fellow cracks me up.:

Whoa! I've never seen a chicken like that before! During the first half of the video, I thought for sure it was a person wearing a chicken suit. But the way he bent over near the end (50 second mark)--I don't think a human could easily do that.

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Whoa! I've never seen a chicken like that before! During the first half of the video, I thought for sure it was a person wearing a chicken suit. But the way he bent over near the end (50 second mark)--I don't think a human could easily do that.

Some people thought that this video was faked; and another video was put out to confirm it as truth.

I have buff brahmas. I think that they are prettier. To my knowledge the buff brahmas can get as big as the white ones; but I have put mine on very high protein diets, and they don't get anywhere near as big as that one. I suspect that it's genetic.

This one isn't mine; but this is what the buffs look like:

iu

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Oh my goodness. That's huge.

Whether it's a large or small hen, don't they still lay about an egg a day?

Yes, size doesn't seem to matter. It's the breed, and the individual bird within that breed, and what that bird "felt like" that day. On some days some of my birds might lay two eggs. During the winter they all slow down.

I raise my birds big, so that they are too heavy to fly over the 4 foot fence, which surrounds my property, to find predators

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟666,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some people thought that this video was faked; and another video was put out to confirm it as truth.

I have buff brahmas. I think that they are prettier. To my knowledge the buff brahmas can get as big as the white ones; but I have put mine on very high protein diets, and they don't get anywhere near as big as that one. I suspect that it's genetic.

This one isn't mine; but this is what the buffs look like:

iu

Do the giant chickens like in that video lay eggs that are bigger, or are they normal sized?
Ok, right after I wrote that, I remembered that grocery stores sell them in different sizes, like medium, large, extra large and jumbo. Are the jumbo chickens the ones that lay the jumbo eggs?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Do the giant chickens like in that video lay eggs that are bigger, or are they normal sized?
Ok, right after I wrote that, I remembered that grocery stores sell them in different sizes, like medium, large, extra large and jumbo. Are the jumbo chickens the ones that lay the jumbo eggs?

I don't know about those birds in the video. They're special. I suspect that guy got lucky through selective breeding. I've had numerous varieties of chickens over the years; and in my experience egg size is dependent on the breed.

Here is one of the resources that I have used over the years to choose breeds.

Chicken Breeds

My hens are pets; so when they are chicks, I hold each one, each day, while they are growing up. When they are teenagers, they will fly up and land on my shoulder. When they are adults they follow me around. They will sit on my lap, and eat out of my hand. I like docile birds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,169,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One stop information for shortages of all types.

Delayed Pasta Delivery Until June

Noted it was a big manufacturer. Could be local. Pick up extra just in case.

Hi Bella, which nation are you in?

Here we grow a lot of wheat (I grew up many years in a place that was mostly cattle pastures and wheat fields actually) and....maybe it will be a good idea for U.S. farmers to plant more than usual, and less soybean or such.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,169,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m in the US. Growing an item doesn’t mean it finds its way to the dinner table. They sell to the highest bidder. I switched from modern wheat to ancient grains. Einkorn, amaranth, barley, emmer, etc. They don’t have the same demand as hard and soft wheat. I get it from a local mill and buying club. It can be cooked or ground into flour.

US farmers can’t afford to plant more. Fertilizer is hard to get and the prices are exorbitant. You’ll have better results with organic farms. 25 to 50 pounds at a time for dry goods and comparable amounts for meat.

Tangential idea: there is an artificially high demand for corn and huge acreage planted in corn -- for ethanol to add to gasoline -- due to the old, out of date ethanol laws. It might be interesting to see what would happen if those old rules were at least temporarily suspended (or better, repealed).

I like what you point out about other grains.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Giant Eagle does have SOME shortages
we're able to find what they don't have at local store

I love cheese & eat thin baby swiss daily
no desire to make any

with new puppy, my time is now full when husband/teen not home; he needs to go potty every hour!

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0