victoria
✟92,621.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I went shopping the other day to look for some plastic tubs and there was no shortage of them , the stores had mountains of them.
And these stores also sold packets of plastic cutlery and even straws.

After purchasing my items I then went to a takeaway shop where the woman placed my food into a plastic container along with a napkin and wooden or bamboo fork.
I said I don't like eating with these wooden forks would you have a plastic one ? And she said i'm sorry but we are not allowed to give you any plastic cutlery , it's a policy the Government has put in place , and if we are caught giving our customers plastic cutlery we will receive a huge fine.

Now you might be asking yourself why did this guy place this thread in the conspiracy forum , well hello!!

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,005,233.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I went shopping the other day to look for some plastic tubs and there was no shortage of them , the stores had mountains of them.

After purchasing my items I then went to a takeaway shop where the woman placed my food into a plastic container along with a napkin and wooden or bamboo fork.
I said I don't like eating with these wooden forks would you have a plastic one ? And she said i'm sorry but we are not allowed to give you any plastic cutlery , it's a policy the Government has put in place , and if we are caught giving our customers plastic cutlery we will receive a huge fine.

Now you might be asking yourself why did this guy place this thread in the conspiracy forum , well hello!!

There is no conspiracy.

Single use, disposable plastics are being phased out across Australia to cut down on plastic waste, following an agreement between the states.

The plastic tubs you mentioned are not designed to be disposable single use so are not affected by the ban. Disposable plasticware is generally being replaced with bio-degradable wood, bamboo or paper products. While there is a national agreement to do this not all states are at the same stage in implementing the ban. In my supermarket, in NSW, I can't buy plastic straws, cutlery, bowls cups or plates and my groceries can't be packed, at the checkout, in single use plastic bags. Similar bans apply to food outlets.

Single use disposable items include plastic bags (including so-called bio-degradable plastic), straws, cutlery, cups, plates and bowls, and expanded polystyrene food ware.

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

guyver

Dec 9, 2021
victoria
✟92,621.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the conspiracy? :scratch:
Why is the govenment making it difficult for certain food places to provide plastic cutlery for their customers when plastic cutlery can still be bought , and plastic in general is still available and still being manufactured.

We were told that using wood or bamboo cutlery would help save the planet.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,005,233.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Why is the govenment making it difficult for certain food places to provide plastic cutlery for their customers when plastic cutlery can still be bought , and plastic in general is still available and still being manufactured.

We were told that using wood or bamboo cutlery would help save the planet.
The ban is on single-use disposable plastics,

This Victorian Government article has details of the ban as it applies in Victoria - your state.
Reducing plastic pollution starts with us,

OB

Upvote 0

guyver

Dec 9, 2021
victoria
✟92,621.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no conspiracy.

Single use, disposable plastics are being phased out across Australia to cut down on plastic waste, following an agreement between the states.

The plastic tubs you mentioned are not designed to be disposable single use so are not affected by the ban. Disposable plasticware is generally being replaced with bio-degradable wood, bamboo or paper products. While there is a national agreement to do this not all states are at the same stage in implementing the ban. In my supermarket, in NSW, I can't buy plastic, straws, cutlery, bowls cups or plates and my groceries can't be packed, at the checkout, in single use plastic bags. Similar bans apply to food outlets.

Single use disposable items include plastic bags (including so-called bio-degradable plastic), straws, cutlery, cups, plates and bowls, and expanded polystyrene food ware.

OB
I didn't realise there that much difference within our states.
But I still can't see why I can't eat with a plastic fork from a food place when they are continually being sold in stores. If the plastic cutlery is so bad for the enviroment then you would think they would stop making them

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,005,233.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I didn't realise there that much difference within our states.
But I still can't see why I can't eat with a plastic fork from a food place when they are continually being sold in stores. If the plastic cutlery is so bad for the enviroment then you would think they would stop making them
The bans apply across the board including food outlets and supermarkets. You may have seen the items on sale prior to the ban. Either way, supermarkets in Victoria are not allowed to sell disposable plastic items.

Again - this is the state of the bans in Victoria,

OB

Upvote 0

guyver

Dec 9, 2021
victoria
✟92,621.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bans apply across the board including food outlets and supermarkets. You may have seen the items on sale prior to the ban. Either way, supermarkets in Victoria are not allowed to sell disposable plastic items.

That's correct , supermarkets are not selling them but they are still available every where else.
Meaning that they are still being manufactured and distributed.

I asked the guy at a shop who sells them , if this is the last of the plastic cutlery , and he said no we are still getting them in and are selling heaps.
He said he has not been told nor heard that the plastic cutlery is about to end.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,005,233.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
That's correct , supermarkets are not selling them but they are still available every where else.
Meaning that they are still being manufactured and distributed.

I asked the guy at a shop who sells them , if this is the last of the plastic cutlery , and he said no we are still getting them in and are selling heaps.
He said he has not been told nor heard that the plastic cutlery is about to end.

The 'guy at a shop' is wrong according to the Vic Gov website

While there are some exemptions (see below) plastic disposable stuff is now banned.
There are a few exemptions where banned single-use plastic items can continue to be used in Victoria. These are for specific circumstances where items are required for health and safety reasons or where suitable alternatives to a sub-set of banned items are not currently available.

Exemptions
  • Single-use plastic drinking straws for people who need them due to disability or for medical reasons
  • Single-use plastic cotton bud sticks for testing carried out for scientific, medical, forensic or law enforcement purposes
  • Single-use plastic cutlery, where required, in correctional and mental health facilities to prevent physical harm or injury
  • Until 1 November 2024 paper or cardboard plates lined with plastic
  • Until 1 January 2026 any single-use plastic item that is integrated into food or drink packaging by a machine automated process (e.g., a single-use plastic spoon included in a yogurt tub).
OB

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟319,001.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

What's wrong with that? Very similar to the UK. Nasty wasteful things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟319,001.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Because cheap nasty plastic cutlery gets thrown in the rubbish bin but stuff you buy yourself you want to keep it.

It not rocket surgery. Are you just looking for things to give you pareidolia?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,005,233.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Because cheap nasty plastic cutlery gets thrown in the rubbish bin but stuff you buy yourself you want to keep it.

It not rocket surgery. Are you just looking for things to give you pareidolia?
On CF pareidolia is practically epidemic, along with mendacity.

OB

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟319,001.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well this will make everyone happy.
Looks like my ol mate Trump thinks like I do , he obviously must be a highly intelligent man.
Sees things like I see them.

Thinking like Mr Trump might not quite be the flex you think it is.

Upvote 0

guyver

Dec 9, 2021
victoria
✟92,621.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bottom line here folks is that the gov has put a gun to the head of these people selling take away food in the form of imposing fines if they give us plastic cutlery with our meals.
Wile at the same time those same plastic cutlery are still being manufactured and sold at certain outlets with out any restrictions.

Can't you see the big con that's going on ?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟1,005,233.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
The bottom line here folks is that the gov has put a gun to the head of these people selling take away food in the form of imposing fines if they give us plastic cutlery with our meals.
Wile at the same time those same plastic cutlery are still being manufactured and sold at certain outlets without any restrictions.

Can't you see the big con that's going on ?

Here is the Fact Sheet put out by the Victorian Government explaining what, why and when.

I no idea what you think you've seen for sale in the supermarket but I suspect you've seen plastic coated paper serving plates which can be sold up to Nov this year. The delay is to allow time for retail outlets to find non-plastic-coated substitutes.

Given that this ban is out in the open, and will eventually apply nationally, it's hardly a 'con'. It's a legitimate attempt to reduce plastic waste in the environment.

OB

Upvote 0