Pro-Palestinian supporters at Columbia University confront Jews ‘to push them out of camp’

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟219,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Buechler said protesters had called for violence, expressed support for terrorism, and claimed they were members of Hamas, according to the Jerusalem Post. He also said protesters had expressed desires for future acts of violence to mirror the Oct. 7 attacks from Hamas against Israel.

Democratic Party leaders need to step forward and actively and forcefully start condemning attacks against any race or religion.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟115,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Buechler said protesters had called for violence, expressed support for terrorism, and claimed they were members of Hamas, according to the Jerusalem Post. He also said protesters had expressed desires for future acts of violence to mirror the Oct. 7 attacks from Hamas against Israel.

Democratic Party leaders need to step forward and actively and forcefully start condemning attacks against any race or religion.
I am glad that when it comes to war, that I am not pro-[insert country name], but pro-peace. I do not condone the actions of the protesters.

• Friendly
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟219,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am glad that when it comes to war, that I am not pro-[insert country name], but pro-peace. I do not condone the actions of the protesters.
It's just like what happened in Germany in the 1930s. The universities need to remove the professors who preach violence.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟115,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's just like what happened in Germany in the 1930s. The universities need to remove the professors who preach violence.
Agreed. I was gonna mention that. 1930s-1940s Germany is happening all over again. Universities can be toxic breeding grounds though. I was in college for 1.5 years, and individualism was rampant (trans stuff, etc).

• Agree
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟234,068.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The harassment of Jewish students appears to be taking place off campus and by people who do not attend Columbia University.

Demonstrations just outside Columbia’s gates, which are currently closed to the public, took an especially dark tone over the weekend, when protesters who did not appear to be connected to the university were accused of celebrating Hamas and targeting Jewish students.

Nemat Shafik, Columbia’s president, said in a statement early Monday. “These tensions have been exploited and amplified by individuals who are not affiliated with Columbia who have come to campus to pursue their own agendas. We need a reset.”

“Go back to Poland!” one masked protester who clutched a Palestinian flag shouted outside the Columbia campus gates, according to a video posted on X.

Some on-campus activists said over the weekend that outside agitators were responsible for the antisemitic episodes and distanced themselves from the agitators.

There’s so many young Jewish people who are, like, a vital part” of the protests, said Grant Miner, a Jewish graduate student at Columbia who belongs to a student coalition calling on Columbia to divest from companies connected to Israel.

That group said in a statement, “We are frustrated by media distractions focusing on inflammatory individuals who do not represent us,” and added that the group’s members “firmly reject any form of hate or bigotry.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟219,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟234,068.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I know Omar's daughter was a student:
She was arrested for failing to disperse.

More than 100 individuals are currently occupying the South Lawn of Columbia University’s Morningside Heights campus. This group has been informed numerous times and in writing that they are not permitted to occupy this space, are in violation of the University’s rules and policies and must disperse. All University students participating in the encampment have been informed they are suspended. At this time, the participants in the encampment are not authorized to be on University property and are trespassing.

The University provided multiple notices and warnings and informed the encampment participants that they must disperse or face immediate discipline. We have also engaged on the issues they have raised and offered to have further discussions if they disperse.

I have determined that the encampment and related disruptions pose a clear and present danger to the substantial functioning of the University.

With great regret, we request the NYPD’s help to remove these individuals.

15 of the students arrested were Jewish.

Statement on Columbia University’s discriminatory and repressive treatment of Jewish students

Columbia University has actively created a hostile environment for students who are Palestinian or who support Palestinian freedom. Additionally, the administration’s actions have made the campus much less safe for Jewish students.

We condemn any and all hateful or violent comments targeting Jewish students; however, in shutting down public protest and suspending students, the actions of the University of Columbia are not ensuring safety for Jewish students — or any students — on campus.

Instead of listening to the calls of Columbia and Barnard students to divest from the genocide perpetrated by the Israeli government, the university has called in the NYPD to arrest students, suspend them and even expel them. At present 85 students, 15 of whom are Jewish, are suspended.

Yesterday’s statement by the White House, like the administrators of Columbia University, dangerously and inaccurately presumes that all Jewish students support the Israeli government’s genocide of Palestinians. This assumption is actively harming Palestinian and Jewish students.

The students have been non-violent according to the NYPD.

Mayor Eric Adams confirmed in a Thursday evening press conference that the NYPD arrested over 108 protesters. Adams said that there was “no violence or injuries during the disturbance.”

Chief John Chell said that it was Shafik, not the NYPD, who identified the demonstration as a “clear and present danger.”

“To put this in perspective, the students that were arrested were peaceful, offered no resistance whatsoever, and were saying what they wanted to say in a peaceful manner,” Chell said at the conference.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟917,999.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I see. So your response to "just like what happened in Germany in the 1930s." is to get rid of the first amendment?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟373,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Look!

Look at all the Free Speech Absolutists Run and hide!

Scattering like hypocritical tumbleweeds, forgetting that they actually LIKE free speech.

It's....I don't know, almost like they don't LIKE free speech.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟373,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
They like approved messages that follow the agenda. The rest are dangerous.

~bella
Which I totally understand. I admit I am the same way.

But I don't sanctimoniously say I'm a free speech absolutist in a situation like this.

Self awareness is cool.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟148,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Why does the OP call for only Democrats to condemn attacks (what “attacks”, there has been no actual violence, has there?)?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟219,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟373,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟373,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Th Daily Caller received a response Sunday night from someone claiming to represent one of the groups at the protest, Yale Jews for Ceasefire, who gave a statement to the alleged attack, calling that the incident “unacceptable.” They noted that it would be addressed by adding more de-escalation “marshals” for future events in order to ensure the safety for everyone.

“Last night, a counter-protester said she was poked in the eye with a flag. Such an action, whether or not it was intentional, is unacceptable. We are fundamentally committed to maintaining a non-violent and welcoming protest environment in which all community members can make their voices heard. In pursuing this standard, just as we are committed to ensuring the safety of our participants from the risk of videotaping and doxxing, we are also committed to making sure that engagements between counter-protesters and protesters do not escalate,” the email stated.

“Our marshals, students wearing orange safety vests who are specifically trained to de-escalate situations and protect people, are committed to everyone’s safety. In the future we will have more marshals on site, and we will communicate more clearly to untrained protesters not to engage with counter-protestors in any way.”
Sounds like the organizers are actually taking some pretty intelligent steps to keep things within the realm of safety.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟148,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
There was violence:
The sentiments of the "Squad" and others in the party are not a secret.
From the journalistIc paragon of the DailyCaller:
”Th [sic] Daily Caller received a response Sunday night from someone claiming to represent one of the groups at the protest, Yale Jews for Ceasefire, who gave a statement to the alleged attack, calling that the incident ‘unacceptable.’ They noted that it would be addressed by adding more de-escalation ‘marshals’ for future events in order to ensure the safety for everyone.

‘Last night, a counter-protester said she was poked in the eye with a flag. Such an action, whether or not it was intentional, is unacceptable. We are fundamentally committed to maintaining a non-violent and welcoming protest environment in which all community members can make their voices heard…’”

[emphasis mine]
Having watched the video, I saw the waving of a of a (one) hand flag of about 12 inches coming into view, it could have been an accident but as Yale Jews for Ceasefire say, accidents are unacceptable because…

That out of the way…why did the OP single out Democratic Leaders?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟219,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The protesters who are taking over buildings at Columbia need to be arrested and jailed.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟115,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The protesters who are taking over buildings at Columbia need to be arrested and jailed.
Yes, any violent protester that takes over a building should be jailed, just as these Columbia protestors need to be jailed for (same with the ones that invaded the Capitol in 2021, but that is for another thread).

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟307,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The professors who don't teach the German Physics? Those were the ones that were removed in the 1930s.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟234,068.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private