New Years Resolution: Beginning of a Spiritual Battle

Alexfl05

Jan 5, 2013
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Have you guys made any New Years Resolution towards God? Have you had any problems committing to your goals?

I have... I commited myself to falling in Love with God this year.

The first days went by good and like a blessing. But afterwards, everything started going haywire. And it feels as if I'm actually getting farther away from God.

What do you guys think about this? Spiritual attacks against my commitment...?

Last edited:

jamadan

Jan 1, 2009
✟8,566.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It's difficult to say. Usually I find the flesh has plenty of excuses not to do what we want it to do without even the need for demon to interfere. :)

Personally, I ignore New Year's in terms of resolutions and such. I prefer to use Lent and its 40 days of fasting and prayer to repent from my sins, die to self and lay my body on the altar as a living sacrifice. I find that Scriptures' promise, 'Repent, so that times of refreshing may come' is always true, so-much-so that by Easter Sunday, when the congregation loudly proclaims 'HE IS RISEN INDEED', my heart is ready to burst with love and appreciation for Jesus and what He did for me on the cross.

I think our expectations of what it means to 'love' God is sometimes a little off. Jesus said to Peter, "If you love me, you'll obey me". Peter did just that all the way to his own upside-down cross. Was Peter all touchy-feeley 'in love' with Jesus? No. He loved him as a man does for another man, willing to lay down his life for him. That's different than the kind of teachings some are promoting in the church about the kind of love between and bride and groom who then misapply that to suggest that's how we should individually try to be with Jesus. We don't need to FEEL in love with Him. We just need to love Him more than we do our own will and path, so we are willing to let Him live through us. This is a function of obedience and the will, which is the kind of love Jesus was talking about.

Sometimes people think if they don't feel passionate all the time for the Lord, that somehow we're far from God or not loving Him enough, which is a false expectation. This can lead to problems in that some then seek out emotional worship services or revival meetings to make themselves feel more passionate and loving. I love pouring my heart out to God in loving worship as well, truly I do, but we can't live in a worship meeting and have non-stop tingles. We have to use those times to refresh, yet we have to go forth and live for Christ, obeying Him every step and not worrying how we feel.

I don't know if that helps? Or doesn't address your concerns at all.

Upvote 0

Alexfl05

Jan 5, 2013
✟15,155.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Lent works too, even better, I should add. But everybody's in a different position. Resolution is just a boost for my commitment, to get back on track. And what you do sounds really awesome! To be so spiritually filled that your spirit is bursting with charisma instead of just your flesh.

I see 'love' for God as a commitment, just like a married couple makes. We can upset our significant other and/or make them happy with us. Sometimes we don't feel like we're in a position to have her float around the house as a princess, and sometimes we don't feel like giving everything to God. Of course, it starts off as a challenge, but if we give more and more to God, with a willing heart it becomes easier to love Him. To not upset Him and go against His ways.

We get good habits, and start hating our bad habits that we once might've loved. We think of God more, pray more and stay in spirit more. All in all, to spend more time in spirit, with/for God.

That's what I meant to fall in love with God.

Of course, I get days, even today, when I don't feel God's presence at all, but I still know He's there. We don't need to feel emotional to be in God's presence. But when I say that I don't feel God's presence, I mean I feel down... it feels as if stress and depression is still out there lurking me. And I get negative ideas to do bad instead of good and to just do nothing useful through the day. And it becomes much harder to give time to God.

Do you get what I mean?

Upvote 0

jamadan

Jan 1, 2009
✟8,566.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Lent works too, even better, I should add. But everybody's in a different position. Resolution is just a boost for my commitment, to get back on track. And what you do sounds really awesome! To be so spiritually filled that your spirit is bursting with charisma instead of just your flesh.

I see 'love' for God as a commitment, just like a married couple makes. We can upset our significant other and/or make them happy with us. Sometimes we don't feel like we're in a position to have her float around the house as a princess, and sometimes we don't feel like giving everything to God. Of course, it starts off as a challenge, but if we give more and more to God, with a willing heart it becomes easier to love Him. To not upset Him and go against His ways.

We get good habits, and start hating our bad habits that we once might've loved. We think of God more, pray more and stay in spirit more. All in all, to spend more time in spirit, with/for God.

That's what I meant to fall in love with God.

Of course, I get days, even today, when I don't feel God's presence at all, but I still know He's there. We don't need to feel emotional to be in God's presence. But when I say that I don't feel God's presence, I mean I feel down... it feels as if stress and depression is still out there lurking me. And I get negative ideas to do bad instead of good and to just do nothing useful through the day. And it becomes much harder to give time to God.

Do you get what I mean?

Yes, I do know what you mean. I think what you're describing is quite normal. We do get caught up in the stress of the world so easily. And your desire to draw near to God the right response. I find the only way to really turn the tide is a great retreat. Step away from it all for the express purpose of getting refreshed. We have an annual men's retreat where we go away for 3 days of awesome Spirit-filled worship, solid teachings, lots of time to walk thru the woods talking with the Lord and enjoyinv His creation, and some time enjoying fellowship wifh other Godly men. Oh and prayer ministry which is hugely important. The men lay hands on one another praying in the Spirit, prophesying, and encouraging each other. Most of the time this results in major breakthroughs.

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Have you guys made any New Years Resolution towards God? Have you had any problems committing to your goals?

The first days went by good and like a blessing. But afterwards, everything started going haywire. And it feels as if I'm actually getting farther away from God.

The problem as I see it is you are attempting a work in your own power.

I would advise you give Him permission to draw you closer to Him. Leave it in His hands to bring about the result, not do so under your own power. Let Him be the author of the work.

Give Him your life and let Him do as He sees fit with it. Quit trying to force Him to your will but instead surrender to His will.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟402,394.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The problem as I see it is you are attempting a work in your own power.

I would advise you give Him permission to draw you closer to Him. Leave it in His hands to bring about the result, not do so under your own power. Let Him be the author of the work.

Give Him your life and let Him do as He sees fit with it. Quit trying to force Him to your will but instead surrender to His will.

I read a pretty amazing account of Pastor Rick Joyner meeting an old friend in heaven who had a terrible problem with shyness. I think that this writing has the power to get many of us going at a new level....especially through this amazing open door of the internet that makes it so easy to encourage others!!!

Whatever character flaws that we battle with in life give us a testimony that is perfect for a particular group of people .....who battle that same problem!

https://www.facebook.com/notes/fans...ho-had-been-very-shy-on-earth/438250039585847

Rick Joyner meets old friend in heaven who had been very shy on earth!

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟402,394.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Alex, instead of trying to fall in love with Jesus, try following him more. What did Jesus say to the disciples? He said, follow me...

Yes, there is always something learned by attempting to observe anything that Rabbi Jesus/Yehoshua said to do.

For example, he said keep the commandments, and for years I have been attempting to observe the Jewish Sabbath from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset. My understanding of laws and how specific situations must be taken into consideration in order to properly observe any commandment gave me a good theory on what Rabbi Jesus actually meant by this question to the Pharisees:

Mark 3:4 And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.

It hit me back in the early 1990's after I read the Catholic Bible for the first time that Rabbi Jesus/Yehoshua was obviously partly referring to this situation faced by the ancestors of the Pharisees and Scribes that he asked this question to.

Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible, First Book Of Machabees Chapter 2
And forthwith they went out towards them, and made war against them on the sabbath day, [33] And they said to them: Do you still resist? come forth, and do according to the edict of king Antiochus, and you shall live. [34] And they said: We will not come forth, neither will we obey the king's edict, to profane the sabbath day. [35] And they made haste to give them battle.

[36] But they answered them not, neither did they cast a stone at them, nor stopped up the secret places, [37] Saying: Let us all die in our innocency: and heaven and earth shall be witnesses for us, that you put us to death wrongfully. [38] So they gave them battle on the sabbath: and they were slain with their wives, and their children, and their cattle, to the number of a thousand persons. [39] And Mathathias and his friends heard of it, and they mourned for them exceedingly. [40] And every man said to his neighbour: If we shall all do as our brethren have done, and not fight against the heathens for our lives, and our justifications: they will now quickly root us out of the earth.

[41] And they determined in that day, saying: Whosoever shall come up against us to fight on the sabbath day, we will fight against him: and we will not all die, as our brethren that were slain in the secret places.

The probable implications of why Jesus/Yehoshua asked this question has profound implications for our police officers and soldiers. It seems that Rabbi Jesus was teaching that it was not murder, for a Jewish soldier to take the life of somebody who was attacking his village or nation on the Sabbath.....nor did it actually even break the Sabbath!

The impact of confronting and facing this question has profoundly altered my understanding of many of the statements of Jesus!

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I NEVER make "New Years Resolutions" - it's a superstitious practice, and one GUARANTEED to bring utter failure in anything you try to do in your own strength and abilities.
WHile some people are able to keep to their resolutions , I find the idea to be self-defeating . If one is going to put off self improvement to a later date , they already show that they are not committed to it . At the best , it shows procrastination rationalization that would go past the beginning of the year and never come to fruition .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Juelrei

May 13, 2015
✟15,557.00

Spiritual attacks even if you didn't commit to improve anything.

Might as well be making an effort in something, as to not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0