Farmington
✟31,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I find these messages from E.M. Bounds really convict me about my prayer life, so that I've intensified it from where I was. This one is so important, and one that I have done now for a few years. When I did not begin my day with prayer I note that my days did not often go well, and my mind was filled with swirling thought that were not always good, and at times downright evil. Now when an evil thought comes it is a rarity, and is nipped in the bud quite quickly in Jesus holy and powerful name, casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God and bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:5)

I awaken before dawn usually and immediately pray and read Scripture, but I remember well doing what this first paragraph says, and even days forgetting to pray altogether at my worst prodigal time. How awful and dreadful a wretch I was. I almost cannot imagine now myself as I was then, even 6 - 7 years ago, a miserable, lonely, angry wretch, and often when I did pray it was blasphemous and complaining. Now I pray that believers not go through such, and if you wonder why things may not be going right, PRAY. Christ didn't promise a bed of roses, but He did promise JOY, and PEACE, which passeth all understanding.

"These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full." - John 15:11

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (John 14:27 & Philippians 4:7)

From Power Through Prayer, chapter 9

Begin the Day with Prayer

I ought to pray before seeing any one. Often when I sleep long, or meet with others early, it is eleven or twelve o’clock before I begin secret prayer. This is a wretched system. It is unscriptural. Christ arose before day and went into a solitary place. David says: “Early will I seek thee”; “Thou shalt early hear my voice.” Family prayer loses much of its power and sweetness, and I can do no good to those who come to seek from me. The conscience feels guilty, the soul unfed, the lamp not trimmed. Then when in secret prayer the soul is often out of tune, I feel it is far better to begin with God—to see his face first, to get my soul near him before it is near another.—Robert Murray McCheyne

THE men who have done the most for God in this world have been early on their knees. He who fritters away the early morning, its opportunity and freshness, in other pursuits than seeking God will make poor headway seeking him the rest of the day. If God is not first in our thoughts and efforts in the morning, he will be in the last place the remainder of the day.

Behind this early rising and early praying is the ardent desire which presses us into this pursuit after God. Morning listlessness is the index to a listless heart. The heart which is behindhand in seeking God in the morning has lost its relish for God. David’s heart was ardent after God. He hungered and thirsted after God, and so he sought God early, before daylight. The bed and sleep could not chain his soul in its eagerness after God. Christ longed for communion with God; and so, rising a great while before day, he would go out into the mountain to pray. The disciples, when fully awake and ashamed of their indulgence, would know where to find him. We might go through the list of men who have mightily impressed the world for God, and we would find them early after God.

A desire for God which cannot break the chains of sleep is a weak thing and will do but little good for God after it has indulged itself fully. The desire for God that keeps so far behind the devil and the world at the beginning of the day will never catch up.

It is not simply the getting up that puts men to the front and makes them captain generals in God’s hosts, but it is the ardent desire which stirs and breaks all self-indulgent chains. But the getting up gives vent, increase, and strength to the desire. If they had lain in bed and indulged themselves, the desire would have been quenched. The desire aroused them and put them on the stretch for God, and this heeding and acting on the call gave their faith its grasp on God and gave to their hearts the sweetest and fullest revelation of God, and this strength of faith and fullness of revelation made them saints by eminence, and the halo of their sainthood has come down to us, and we have entered on the enjoyment of their conquests. But we take our fill in enjoyment, and not in productions. We build their tombs and write their epitaphs, but are careful not to follow their examples.

We need a generation of preachers who seek God and seek him early, who give the freshness and dew of effort to God, and secure in return the freshness and fullness of his power that he may be as the dew to them, full of gladness and strength, through all the heat and labor of the day. Our laziness after God is our crying sin. The children of this world are far wiser than we. They are at it early and late. We do not seek God with ardor and diligence. No man gets God who does not follow hard after him, and no soul follows hard after God who is not after him in early morn.

Reactions: AlexB23

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find these messages from E.M. Bounds really convict me about my prayer life, so that I've intensified it from where I was. This one is so important, and one that I have done now for a few years. When I did not begin my day with prayer I note that my days did not often go well, and my mind was filled with swirling thought that were not always good, and at times downright evil. Now when an evil thought comes it is a rarity, and is nipped in the bud quite quickly in Jesus holy and powerful name, casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God and bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:5)

I awaken before dawn usually and immediately pray and read Scripture, but I remember well doing what this first paragraph says, and even days forgetting to pray altogether at my worst prodigal time. How awful and dreadful a wretch I was. I almost cannot imagine now myself as I was then, even 6 - 7 years ago, a miserable, lonely, angry wretch, and often when I did pray it was blasphemous and complaining. Now I pray that believers not go through such, and if you wonder why things may not be going right, PRAY. Christ didn't promise a bed of roses, but He did promise JOY, and PEACE, which passeth all understanding.

"These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full." - John 15:11

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (John 14:27 & Philippians 4:7)

From Power Through Prayer, chapter 9

Begin the Day with Prayer

I ought to pray before seeing any one. Often when I sleep long, or meet with others early, it is eleven or twelve o’clock before I begin secret prayer. This is a wretched system. It is unscriptural. Christ arose before day and went into a solitary place. David says: “Early will I seek thee”; “Thou shalt early hear my voice.” Family prayer loses much of its power and sweetness, and I can do no good to those who come to seek from me. The conscience feels guilty, the soul unfed, the lamp not trimmed. Then when in secret prayer the soul is often out of tune, I feel it is far better to begin with God—to see his face first, to get my soul near him before it is near another.—Robert Murray McCheyne

THE men who have done the most for God in this world have been early on their knees. He who fritters away the early morning, its opportunity and freshness, in other pursuits than seeking God will make poor headway seeking him the rest of the day. If God is not first in our thoughts and efforts in the morning, he will be in the last place the remainder of the day.

Behind this early rising and early praying is the ardent desire which presses us into this pursuit after God. Morning listlessness is the index to a listless heart. The heart which is behindhand in seeking God in the morning has lost its relish for God. David’s heart was ardent after God. He hungered and thirsted after God, and so he sought God early, before daylight. The bed and sleep could not chain his soul in its eagerness after God. Christ longed for communion with God; and so, rising a great while before day, he would go out into the mountain to pray. The disciples, when fully awake and ashamed of their indulgence, would know where to find him. We might go through the list of men who have mightily impressed the world for God, and we would find them early after God.

A desire for God which cannot break the chains of sleep is a weak thing and will do but little good for God after it has indulged itself fully. The desire for God that keeps so far behind the devil and the world at the beginning of the day will never catch up.

It is not simply the getting up that puts men to the front and makes them captain generals in God’s hosts, but it is the ardent desire which stirs and breaks all self-indulgent chains. But the getting up gives vent, increase, and strength to the desire. If they had lain in bed and indulged themselves, the desire would have been quenched. The desire aroused them and put them on the stretch for God, and this heeding and acting on the call gave their faith its grasp on God and gave to their hearts the sweetest and fullest revelation of God, and this strength of faith and fullness of revelation made them saints by eminence, and the halo of their sainthood has come down to us, and we have entered on the enjoyment of their conquests. But we take our fill in enjoyment, and not in productions. We build their tombs and write their epitaphs, but are careful not to follow their examples.

We need a generation of preachers who seek God and seek him early, who give the freshness and dew of effort to God, and secure in return the freshness and fullness of his power that he may be as the dew to them, full of gladness and strength, through all the heat and labor of the day. Our laziness after God is our crying sin. The children of this world are far wiser than we. They are at it early and late. We do not seek God with ardor and diligence. No man gets God who does not follow hard after him, and no soul follows hard after God who is not after him in early morn.
Agreed. We need to pray more as Christians, and start praying as soon as we wake up, or before breakfast.

And here are three ways for us to pray better:

1. Set aside dedicated time for prayer and Bible study: One of the most effective ways to prioritize faith and pray better is to set aside regular time each day for prayer and Bible study. This can be done first thing in the morning, during a lunch break, in the evening before bed or at all three times. By making this a consistent habit, we can deepen our relationship with God and stay focused on his priorities.

2. Practice mindfulness and intentionality during prayer: When we pray, it's important to be present and focused on our communication with God, rather than letting our minds wander. This can be achieved through practices such as mindfulness meditation, repeating a mantra or prayer phrase (such as the Lord's Prayer), or writing down our prayers to help us stay focused.

3. Seek out spiritual community: Surrounding ourselves with other believers and being part of a spiritual community can help us stay motivated and accountable in our faith journey. This can include attending church services, joining a Bible study group, or connecting with other believers through social media or community events.

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟31,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Agreed. We need to pray more as Christians, and start praying as soon as we wake up, or before breakfast.

And here are three ways for us to pray better:

1. Set aside dedicated time for prayer and Bible study: One of the most effective ways to prioritize faith and pray better is to set aside regular time each day for prayer and Bible study. This can be done first thing in the morning, during a lunch break, in the evening before bed or at all three times. By making this a consistent habit, we can deepen our relationship with God and stay focused on his priorities.

2. Practice mindfulness and intentionality during prayer: When we pray, it's important to be present and focused on our communication with God, rather than letting our minds wander. This can be achieved through practices such as mindfulness meditation, repeating a mantra or prayer phrase (such as the Lord's Prayer), or writing down our prayers to help us stay focused.

3. Seek out spiritual community: Surrounding ourselves with other believers and being part of a spiritual community can help us stay motivated and accountable in our faith journey. This can include attending church services, joining a Bible study group, or connecting with other believers through social media or community events.

That's good, all that. I just posted a new thread in the Methodist forum, as I quote 4 different Methodists of the old school, but really, it's not denominational, it's the Word of God and can be applied to any believers life:

The only thing I'll say about social media is just make sure that's not ALL the fellowship you have. I know a lot of people got used to that during Covid, and some people exclusively "attend church" online. It's just not the same. I've done it, I've listened to sermons, and some are really great, but they don't compare to being in a church or chapel, or outdoors hearing a live, fresh sermon, and real time praying on the spot. I do the live thing 3 X a week now. I've had times when it was 0, and times it was as much as all 7 days a week, but I think that's excessive and there needs to be some time to go out and plant seeds or water the garden someone else may have planted!

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's good, all that. I just posted a new thread in the Methodist forum, as I quote 4 different Methodists of the old school, but really, it's not denominational, it's the Word of God and can be applied to any believers life:

The only thing I'll say about social media is just make sure that's not ALL the fellowship you have. I know a lot of people got used to that during Covid, and some people exclusively "attend church" online. It's just not the same. I've done it, I've listened to sermons, and some are really great, but they don't compare to being in a church or chapel, or outdoors hearing a live, fresh sermon, and real time praying on the spot. I do the live thing 3 X a week now. I've had times when it was 0, and times it was as much as all 7 days a week, but I think that's excessive and there needs to be some time to go out and plant seeds or water the garden someone else may have planted!
I am not Methodist, but I might drop by, and reply.

About social media: This is why I joined a group of Christians in real life over the past month (do not have any social media except Christian Forums), who are young adults. I am slowly getting back into the pews also, as during the winter, I like to stay at home.

Upvote 0