Colorado
✟436,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes. I vomited in the middle of the Louvre, but it was an accident.
Here's a pic I took in the Louvre back in 2001. Perfect scenario for appreciating the art.

RPICT0111.JPG

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟436,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's a trap!
I just happened to be in Kitsuki during their biggest festival of the year. I took a break on the wide steps a candy store on the main street to watch events for a few minutes. And the owner brought me out a candy!

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟878,679.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just happened to be in Kitsuki during their biggest festival of the year. I took a break on the wide steps a candy store on the main street to watch events for a few minutes. And the owner brought me out a candy!
He was probably just feeling bad about Pearl Harbor.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,041.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
When I travel I want to see new and interesting things, but I also want to relax a bit. And that compels me to seek out places that arent 1st-tier tourists sites which are so often full of crowds and stressy commotion. So on my Japan bike tour I didnt even see Kyoto, Nara, Tokyo. Those do seem like amazing places tho.

At one interesting town, Kitsuki, they literally told me "tell people to come here!" So there you have it. Go see Kitsuki and the Kunisaki Peninsula.
I been to Osaka, Kobe, Kyoto, Nagoya, Gifu and Shirakawa. Japan is best when you visit places that are not too big nor too small. Of all the places I find Gifu wonderfully nice.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,041.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Here's a pic I took in the Louvre back in 2001. Perfect scenario for appreciating the art.

View attachment 346803

Really appreciating the arts. Art of not regretting your decisions. I can't bring myself to go to tourist traps.

Kyoto was an eye opener. The street to the temple was packed and every inch of space is filled with tourists. I wouldn't mind them as much as I'm myself a tourist but you won't believe how many tourists act like fools and being a nuisance. Stopping in the middle of the walk way when there are people obviously walking behind them. Taking up more spaces for photo posing despite the crowds. Talking loudly like everyone wants to know what they're saying. Cutting in line. Saving a spot for their friends. Taking forever to make simple purchases. All the stereotypes of the typical tourist.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟323,797.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Really appreciating the arts. Art of not regretting your decisions. I can't bring myself to go to tourist traps.

Kyoto was an eye opener. The street to the temple was packed and every inch of space is filled with tourists. I wouldn't mind them as much as I'm myself a tourist but you won't believe how many tourists act like fools and being a nuisance. Stopping in the middle of the walk way when there are people obviously walking behind them. Taking up more spaces for photo posing despite the crowds. Talking loudly like everyone wants to know what they're saying. Cutting in line. Saving a spot for their friends. Taking forever to make simple purchases. All the stereotypes of the typical tourist.
I remember being at The Grand Canyon decades ago and dreading when a tour bus full of Japanese tourists would pull up.

It was like a swarm of picture taking locusts came out of the bus.

I only encountered this at view spots, so no lines or purchases. But of all the things you mentioned that did not involve lines occurred and the photo level was far beyond that of other tourists.

To be fair about it, typically the bus was on a schedule and they had to move fast. I would bet that also applies to many tourists in Japan.

I only recall being on even a day tour of that nature. What I recall most clearly is a gorgeous view spot where there was a loop trail of a few miles to the river and pools in the valley below. With about a half hour for the stop it was not even possible at a run. The other side of the coin was that without the tour I never would have even found that spot.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟436,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
One of my clients took the office + me to Paris for some urban / art / design time. We saw lots of famous tourist things. Loved it. We went in January.

(My Louvre pic was from a different June trip.)

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟878,679.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

...the photo level was far beyond that of other tourists.
Horrible. Horrible racist stereotype. (just kidding)

This is off-topic since it doesn't involve any bad behavior, but I thought I'd share it for @durangodawood

I was walking out of a federal courthouse one day, and there were these three Japanese tourists taking photos of the building. (I swear, each one of them had a minimum of one camera strapped around their neck.) This was back in the day before everyone had devices where you could look up stuff wherever you are. The building was large and had slightly unusual architecture, so I guess it was interesting to them.

They approached me, pointed at the building and asked "what is?" I said "It's a courthouse". They sort of shook their heads and repeated "what is?" Surmising that their grasp of English was very incomplete, I did the sensible thing and repeated the answer more loudly and slowly. "A COURT HOUSE." Surprisingly this did not obtain the desired result, as they once again asked "what is?"

Realizing that oral expression is not going to get us anywhere, I wondered if I could mime something to suggest a courthouse. I put my hands behind my back as if I were handcuffed, hung my head down dejectedly, and slowly shuffled forward, trying to indicate that I was a prisoner. Didn't work. Again I was met with "what is?" I squatted down a bit as if I were sitting, looked stern, and moved my arm up and down as if I were a judge banging a gavel. This was met with the now familiar refrain "what is?"

I wanted to be helpful, but at this point I'm fresh out of ideas, plus I have a life to get back to. So I had no choice but to tell them domo arigato and walk away.

Yeah I know it made no sense to thank them, but domo arigato is the only Japanese I know, courtesy of that Cheap Trick live album.

• Haha
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟436,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Horrible. Horrible racist stereotype. (just kidding)

This is off-topic since it doesn't involve any bad behavior, but I thought I'd share it for @durangodawood

I was walking out of a federal courthouse one day, and there were these three Japanese tourists taking photos of the building. (I swear, each one of them had a minimum of one camera strapped around their neck.) This was back in the day before everyone had devices where you could look up stuff wherever you are. The building was large and had slightly unusual architecture, so I guess it was interesting to them.

They approached me, pointed at the building and asked "what is?" I said "It's a courthouse". They sort of shook their heads and repeated "what is?" Surmising that their grasp of English was very incomplete, I did the sensible thing and repeated the answer more loudly and slowly. "A COURT HOUSE." Surprisingly this did not obtain the desired result, as they once again asked "what is?"

Realizing that oral expression is not going to get us anywhere, I wondered if I could mime something to suggest a courthouse. I put my hands behind my back as if I were handcuffed, hung my head down dejectedly, and slowly shuffled forward, trying to indicate that I was a prisoner. Didn't work. Again I was met with "what is?" I squatted down a bit as if I were sitting, looked stern, and moved my arm up and down as if I were a judge banging a gavel. This was met with the now familiar refrain "what is?"

I wanted to be helpful, but at this point I'm fresh out of ideas, plus I have a life to get back to. So I had no choice but to tell them domo arigato and walk away.

Yeah I know it made no sense to thank them, but domo arigato is the only Japanese I know, courtesy of that Cheap Trick live album.
Nice. Also back in the day before you could translate "court house" to any of 100 languages on your phone.

Speaking of that, on my Japan trip I broke the camera part of my phone on day one (I had a backup point and shoot). So I could not do any written language translations. This was a real hassle in many restaurants in the less touristed places where theres no English or pictures on the menus. At this one Izakaya I tried to ask a few question about the menu, getting nowhere. Then they just bring out this huge baked fish head. I guess I ordered that?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟878,679.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Nice. Also back in the day before you could translate "court house" to any of 100 languages on your phone.

Speaking of that, on my Japan trip I broke the camera part of my phone on day one (I had a backup point and shoot). So I could not do any written language translations. This was a real hassle in many restaurants in the less touristed places where theres no English or pictures on the menus. At this one Izakaya I tried to ask a few question about the menu, getting nowhere. Then they just bring out this huge baked fish head. I guess I ordered that?
How was the fish head?

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,763,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I remember being at The Grand Canyon decades ago and dreading when a tour bus full of Japanese tourists would pull up.

I only encountered this at view spots, so no lines or purchases. But of all the things you mentioned that did not involve lines occurred and the photo level was far beyond that of other tourists.

To be fair about it, typically the bus was on a schedule and they had to move fast. I would bet that also applies to many tourists in Japan.

I only recall being on even a day tour of that nature. What I recall most clearly is a gorgeous view spot where there was a loop trail of a few miles to the river and pools in the valley below. With about a half hour for the stop it was not even possible at a run. The other side of the coin was that without the tour I never would have even found that spot.
My husband and I used to go to the Grand Canyon every one or two years to remind ourselves how small we are in the span of time. :)
We would stop at the viewpoints but often walked between them if it was less than a mile. It is a great way to spend a day.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟436,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How was the fish head?

Haha. Nice. It was actually delicious. But looking at it they might have just said to themselves lets give the white guy a fish head! Then they also brought out this fabulous sashimi that I didnt know I ordered. For me, this was an amazing meal. But I like this kind of food.

20190507175720_IMG_0898.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,041.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
What do you like about Gifu? US tourists dont ever talk about it, which might be a good sign.
DSC_0975.JPG
DSC_0883.JPG
DSC_0973.JPG
DSC_1007.JPG

There are historical places and natural parks to visit that are not to far from the city center. Also the pace of life there is slower which I always like. I can't explain much but it just has this 1990s feel to it.

Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟436,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There are historical places and natural parks to visit that are not to far from the city center. Also the pace of life there is slower which I always like. I can't explain much but it just has this 1990s feel to it.
Thanks for the pics. I like smaller Japanese cities. Nagasaki was a favorite.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟878,679.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Haha. Nice. It was actually delicious. But looking at it they might have just said to themselves lets give the white guy a fish head! Then they also brought out this fabulous sashimi that I didnt know I ordered. For me, this was an amazing meal. But I like this kind of food.
Ever eaten anything while it was still alive? Norm MacDonald once had a "nice meal" served by a "Japanese sociopath". :)

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟436,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ever eaten anything while it was still alive? Norm MacDonald once had a "nice meal" served by a "Japanese sociopath". :)

No. Nothing animal anyway - that I know of. I dont even want to watch.

Well actually Ive swallowed a few bugs over the years while cycling.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟103,041.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
No. Nothing animal anyway - that I know of. I dont even want to watch.

Well actually Ive swallowed a few bugs over the years while cycling.

I would actually be fine with eating a live fish. I'm not sensitive to the usual argument of animal cruelty. It's their culture it's their cuisine. And this is the most important part - it's not a common cuisine in Japan. I don't judge the entire cultural cuisines by one dish. In fact when I was there I can't even find it on any menu. Maybe I'm visiting the wrong restaurants. The closest is always sushi and sashimi. I would like to try once in fact. Safer than trying Fugu even when the odds of death by improper cutting are extremely low.

I have eaten live baby octopus in Seoul once. Not as great as it is made to be. It's just sashimi with moving parts. You still need to dip it in sesame oil or soy sauce for flavour else octopus meat is quite bland. Also don't listen to the locals to gulp it down in one go. Chew the octopus. Octopi suction cups are no child's play they can lodge themselves half way down your throat should you fail to swallow in one go. Once would suffice, I rather look for Samgyetang (ginseng chicken soup).

I would only object to eating something that is endangered. Where the population is unsustainable. So no shark fin or whale. Also no dogs sustainable or otherwise as I'm a dog lover.

Last edited:
Upvote 0