‘It should feel like an extension of the living room’: Study centre is named best building in Europe

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes... European architecture, one of my favorite forms of architecture in my opinion. A new concept study hall in Germany was built to be modular, with movable sections to facilitate studying or meetings. The study hall won an award in 2024 for modern architecture. Any comments on this @Nithavela ? Here is the article link: ‘It should feel like an extension of the living room’: radical study centre is named best building in Europe

Short summary of the open-access article by The Guardian (<20% in length, for fair usage reasons):

In an article published on April 25, 2024 in The Guardian by Oliver Wainwright, the Technical University of Braunschweig's new lightweight and easily disassembled study pavilion designed by Gustav Düsing and Max Hacke has been named the best building in Europe at the EU Mies award. Inspired by radical superstructures of the 1960s, this elegant white steel and glass pavilion houses flexible study spaces across two levels, with thick yellow curtains and movable furniture that allow students to create their own learning environments. The building, which is not permanent but can be modified or dismantled, has won praise for its rigor and precision as well as its lean and economical design. The architects' innovative structural system uses prefabricated components that can be easily taken apart, making it an example of circular construction. Despite being their first building project, Düsing and Hacke's collaboration has already gained recognition in Germany with the national architecture prize from the Deutsches Architekturmuseum.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oi, those ceilings. Those utilitarian metal poles. Looks more like a warehouse than a living room.
Yeah, that is true, and I am surprised why the building won out of all of Europe, but the innovation is kinda cool. :) But yes, the building does look somewhat similar to a warehouse. The article's title could have been better, such as this one: "Modular study center in Germany wins award"

• Agree
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟498,361.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yes... European architecture, one of my favorite forms of architecture in my opinion. A new concept study hall in Germany was built to be modular, with movable sections to facilitate studying or meetings. The study hall won an award in 2024 for modern architecture. Any comments on this @Nithavela ? Here is the article link: ‘It should feel like an extension of the living room’: radical study centre is named best building in Europe

Short summary of the open-access article by The Guardian (<20% in length, for fair usage reasons):

In an article published on April 25, 2024 in The Guardian by Oliver Wainwright, the Technical University of Braunschweig's new lightweight and easily disassembled study pavilion designed by Gustav Düsing and Max Hacke has been named the best building in Europe at the EU Mies award. Inspired by radical superstructures of the 1960s, this elegant white steel and glass pavilion houses flexible study spaces across two levels, with thick yellow curtains and movable furniture that allow students to create their own learning environments. The building, which is not permanent but can be modified or dismantled, has won praise for its rigor and precision as well as its lean and economical design. The architects' innovative structural system uses prefabricated components that can be easily taken apart, making it an example of circular construction. Despite being their first building project, Düsing and Hacke's collaboration has already gained recognition in Germany with the national architecture prize from the Deutsches Architekturmuseum.
My only comment is that I request you no longer highlight me for quotes in random threads I don't care about.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My only comment is that I request you no longer highlight me for quotes in random threads I don't care about.
Sorry about that. I thought that because you are German, that you would like how I post articles about your homeland. From now on, I promise not to highlight you on any future posts based upon your request. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟325,057.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Oi, those ceilings. Those utilitarian metal poles. Looks more like a warehouse than a living room.

And all the outside walls made of glass. Better to let the distractions in.

It also did not look amenable to groups of students discussing things, especially without distracting other people trying to study. Absolutely nothing to absorb sound.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟498,361.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Sorry about that. I thought that because you are German, that you would like how I post articles about your homeland. From now on, I promise not to highlight you on any future posts based upon your request. :)
I don't feel the need to read about everything german or comment on it. If a thread interests me, I'll post in it.

Architecture is not a subject that interests me.

• Informative
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And all the outside walls made of glass. Better to let the distractions in.

It also did not look amenable to groups of students discussing things, especially without distracting other people trying to study. Absolutely nothing to absorb sound.
Yeah, we will have to see if students get better or worse grades after studying in this building. :)

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't feel the need to read about everything german or comment on it. If a thread interests me, I'll post in it.

Architecture is not a subject that interests me.
Hey, thanks for telling me. Science, tech, history, architecture and hypothetical scenarios (world-building) are fascinating to me, but we all have different interests. What are your favorite interests?

Anyways, it is getting late here in my time zone, and I hope you have a wonderful day, bro. :)

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟438,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Interesting. Its a little severe for my liking based on the pics. I do appreciate the "kit of parts" approach. I think modularity and manufacture will be important for solving our housing shortage crisis in the US.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟152,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Libraries and the food service industry should “talk”.
Just think of the “fines” libraries could rake in from “food tainted books”.
Yes, the Wendy’s* in the lobby, does serve messy food, but it’s $5.00 if you get ketchup on property of the library. Win-win!

*or whatever

• Agree
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟498,361.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hey, thanks for telling me. Science, tech, history, architecture and hypothetical scenarios (world-building) are fascinating to me, but we all have different interests. What are your favorite interests?
I'll stop responding in this thread now.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Libraries and the food service industry should “talk”.
Just think of the “fines” libraries could rake in from “food tainted books”.
Yes, the Wendy’s* in the lobby, does serve messy food, but it’s $5.00 if you get ketchup on property of the library. Win-win!

*or whatever
Are you in the right thread bro?

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting. Its a little severe for my liking based on the pics. I do appreciate the "kit of parts" approach. I think modularity and manufacture will be important for solving our housing shortage crisis in the US.
Same here. Modular buildings are the future in my opinion, hopefully not as utilitarian in design though.

Upvote 0