WI
✟118,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Man, the weather seems to be getting worse. China is experiencing floods that may impact a large swathe of the Guangdong Province. I will pray for these folks in China: Millions at risk of floods in China’s Guangdong province after heavy rain

Here is a 5 or fewer sentence summary of the open-access article that is a collaboration between Reuters & The Guardian (<20% of the article length):

This is a summary of a Guardian article by Reuters, published April 21, 2024. In a grave warning, Chinese authorities in Guangdong province have initiated emergency plans to protect over 100 million people as major rivers and waterways are at risk of causing dangerous floods due to unprecedented heavy rains and spike in water levels. The Xijiang and Beijiang river basins have seen water levels rise to a point that only has a 1/50 chance of occurring annually. Torrential downpours and strong winds have affected several parts of China for weeks, leading to evacuations, power cuts, and school suspensions. Over 20K people have already been evacuated in Qingyuan alone.

Hopefully, my friend here @essentialsaltes likes my shorter format summaries, instead of the four paragraph summaries I did prior to April 18, 2024.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟148,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Man, the weather seems to be getting worse. China is experiencing floods that may impact a large swathe of the Guangdong Province. I will pray for these folks in China: Millions at risk of floods in China’s Guangdong province after heavy rain

Here is a 5 or fewer sentence summary of the open-access article that is a collaboration between Reuters & The Guardian (<20% of the article length):

This is a summary of a Guardian article by Reuters, published April 21, 2024. In a grave warning, Chinese authorities in Guangdong province have initiated emergency plans to protect over 100 million people as major rivers and waterways are at risk of causing dangerous floods due to unprecedented heavy rains and spike in water levels. The Xijiang and Beijiang river basins have seen water levels rise to a point that only has a 1/50 chance of occurring annually. Torrential downpours and strong winds have affected several parts of China for weeks, leading to evacuations, power cuts, and school suspensions. Over 20K people have already been evacuated in Qingyuan alone.

Hopefully, my friend here @essentialsaltes likes my shorter format summaries, instead of the four paragraph summaries I did prior to April 18, 2024.
The weather always gets worse the more one looks at it.
The truth is that we tend to ignore other locations’ bad weather, so that if/when we get interested in it, it’ll seem like everything is about to pop.
Beware of confirmation bias.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟118,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The weather always gets worse the more one looks at it.
The truth is that we tend to ignore other locations’ bad weather, so that if/when we get interested in it, it’ll seem like everything is about to pop.
Beware of confirmation bias.
Hey, thank you for the warning on confirmation bias, brother. Sometimes I get drawn into it, cos I think in black and white. Don't worry, I am not a climate doomer, but we have to do something about climate change.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟148,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey, thank you for the warning on confirmation bias, brother. Sometimes I get drawn into it, cos I think in black and white. Don't worry, I am not a climate doomer, but we have to do something about climate change.
The coldest winter ever in my city (go Penguins, Pirates Steelers!), was in 1977, which was also the year that they opened the “new high school“ that was about a mile away from most kids and we didn’t have buses. So…things is looking up! (Man I’m old).

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟118,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The coldest winter ever in my city (go Penguins, Pirates Steelers!), was in 1977, which was also the year that they opened the “new high school“ that was about a mile away from most kids and we didn’t have buses. So…things is looking up! (Man I’m old).
Yeah, while climate change may be happening, winters are getting mild on average, and nowadays we have more modern technology to combat the cold that use less energy (such as heat pumps). Sadly, the USA is allergic to heat pumps and eco-friendly technology.

Upvote 0