Is there such a thing as a Jezebel spirit?

Chococat

I love Jesus and kittycats
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟10,828.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have heard and read a lot about a thing called a "Jezebel spirit" which among other things makes a person very controlling and manipulative. I would like to hear people's opinion here as I think I may have had some friends in the past with this problem.

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟577,764.44
Faith
Messianic
1 Kings 16:31 (NIV)
31 He not only considered it trivial to commit the sins of Jeroboam son of Nebat, but he also married Jezebel daughter of Ethbaal king of the Sidonians, and began to serve Baal and worship him.

There are two incidents in the life of Jezebel which characterize her and may define what is meant by the Jezebel spirit. One trait is her obsessive passion for domineering and controlling others, especially in the spiritual realm. When she became queen, she began a relentless campaign to rid Israel of all evidences of Jehovah worship. She ordered the extermination of all the prophets of the Lord (1 Kings 18:4, 13) and replaced their altars with those of Baal. Her strongest enemy was Elijah who demanded a contest on Mount Carmel between the powers of Israel’s God and the powers of Jezebel and the priests of Baal (1 Kings 18). Of course there was no contest, but despite hearing of the miraculous powers of Jehovah, Jezebel refused to repent and swore on her gods that she would pursue Elijah relentlessly and take his life. Her stubborn refusal to see and submit to the power of the living God would lead her to a hideous end (2 Kings 9:29-37).

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,482.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are two incidents in the life of Jezebel which characterize her and may define what is meant by the Jezebel spirit.

Hello:wave:

But that was a literal flesh and blood woman called Jezebel, not a Spirit.

God Bless You:)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,482.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
and her attitude lives on.. and is called the Jezebel Spirit.

Oh, you mean Spirit as in attitude, rather than a demon spirit?

I thought the OP was asking about the Jezebel spirit teaching where people get exorcised, rather than just an attitude.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟577,764.44
Faith
Messianic
The second incident involves a righteous man named Naboth who refused to sell to Ahab land adjoining the palace, rightly declaring that to sell his inheritance would be against the Lord’s command (1 Kings 21:3; Leviticus 25:23). While Ahab sulked and fumed on his bed, Jezebel taunted him and ridiculed him for his weakness, then proceeded to have the innocent Naboth framed and stoned to death. Naboth’s sons were also stoned to death, so there would be no heirs and the land would revert to the possession of the king. Such a single-minded determination to have one’s way, no matter who is destroyed in the process, is a characteristic of the Jezebel spirit.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟577,764.44
Faith
Messianic
Oh, you mean Spirit as in attitude, rather than a demon spirit?

I thought the OP was asking about the Jezebel spirit teaching where people get exorcised, rather than just an attitude.

So infamous was Jezebel’s sexual immorality and idol worship that the Lord Jesus Himself refers to her in a warning to the church at Thyatira (Revelation 2:18-29). Most likely referring to a woman in the church who influenced it the same way Jezebel influenced Israel into idolatry and sexual immorality, Jesus declares to the Thyatirans that she is not to be tolerated. Whoever this woman was, like Jezebel she refused to repent of her immorality and her false teaching, and her fate was sealed. The Lord Jesus cast her onto a sick bed, along with those who committed idolatry with her. The end for those who succumb to a Jezebel spirit is always death and destruction, both in the physical and the spiritual sense.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟167,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I have heard and read a lot about a thing called a "Jezebel spirit" which among other things makes a person very controlling and manipulative. I would like to hear people's opinion here as I think I may have had some friends in the past with this problem.

There is no listed stronghold called a Jezebel spirit in our bibles.

There are suspicious people who run around claiming many things about the spiritual realm, who tend to see a demon behind every door and under every rock, but we are to pay attention to those listed in our bible for a reason.

Here are the listed strongholds in our bible,..

1. A Familiar spirit
2. A spirit of Jealousy
3. The spirit of Whoredom
4. A Lying spirit
5. A Perverse spirit/spirit of Perversion
6. A spirit of Pride/Haughtiness
7. The spirit of Heaviness
8. A spirit of Infirmity
9. A Deaf and Dumb spirit
10. A Seducing/Deceiving spirit
11. The spirit of Fear
12. The spirit of Anti-Christ

A spirit of bondage is also listed, but the passage naming it I don't consider to be identifying it apart from the others listed here. In other words, a spirit of bondage could be any one of these in the list, imho.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whatfor

Just me
Dec 15, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
✟102,417.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

There are suspicious people who run around claiming many things about the spiritual realm, who tend to see a demon behind every door and under every rock, but we are to pay attention to those listed in our bible for a reason.

1. A Familiar spirit
2. A spirit of Jealousy
4. A Lying spirit
8. A spirit of Infirmity
11. The spirit of Fear

A spirit of bondage is also listed, but the passage naming it I don't consider to be identifying it apart from the others listed here. In other words, a spirit of bondage could be any one of these in the list, imho.

I am not sure I agree here, just because a spirit is not mentioned by name in the bible does not mean it does not exist.

I am not saying there is a spirit behind everything though.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟167,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I am not sure I agree here, just because a spirit is not mentioned by name in the bible does not mean it does not exist.

I am not saying there is a spirit behind everything though.

You're more than welcome to call out a spirit of Valvoline oil, or whatever pops in your mind,.... or you can take the safe route and operate within the means structured in our bible, your choice.

Upvote 0

disciple-ofjesus

Dec 23, 2009
New York
✟2,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is meant by 'spirit'?

Is it an 'attitude'?

Or a demon spirit?

Or the spirit of the woman Jezebel being incarnated from person to person?

I believe it is the combination of 2...an attitude, but also a demon (or stronghold) over a person/place.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You're more than welcome to call out a spirit of Valvoline oil, or whatever pops in your mind,.... or you can take the safe route and operate within the means structured in our bible, your choice.

Or a spirit who called himself legion. Oh, wait, there are only 12 spirits, and I guess I just missed his name. So I guess by your post, legion would have to be left alone, he's not in your top 12. And you are again so right, I just saw the spirit of Valvoline on ...well, Benny Hinn...look a squirrel.

I'm curious as to why the passage in Revelation is overlooked, when the church in Revelation didn't actually have Jezebel around? hmmm....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,482.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious as to why the passage in Revelation is overlooked, when the church in Revelation didn't actually have Jezebel around? hmmm....

Was the Dean of the clothmakers guild in Thyatira not a woman called Jezebel? She was a member of the church and was advocating that the believers take the oath of allegiance to the Roman Emperor Domitian, which would involve sacrficing to him as a god.

Hence her bad mention in the letter.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟167,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Or a spirit who called himself legion. Oh, wait, there are only 12 spirits, and I guess I just missed his name. So I guess by your post, legion would have to be left alone, he's not in your top 12.

Or,... maybe legion is not a particular stronghold of any type and you are just trying to make someone out to be wrong somehow, huh?

Upvote 0

DianeL

Jan 31, 2008
✟8,728.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives

1. A Familiar spirit
2. A spirit of Jealousy
4. A Lying spirit
8. A spirit of Infirmity
11. The spirit of Fear

This is so interesting, thanks for posting this. I had them highlighted in my bible but not listed like this.

I just noticed how there are 12. Almost a dark equivalency to the 12 apostles.

I have a question, if it's okay. When Jesus spoke of 'powers and principalities' would these qualify some of these strongholds being 'powers' and some being 'principalities'.

My understanding is that principalities cover regions such as Jezebel aligning herself with the King for control over a kingdom with her focus being control through religious rebellion.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟167,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
This is so interesting, thanks for posting this. I had them highlighted in my bible but not listed like this.

I just noticed how there are 12. Almost a dark equivalency to the 12 apostles.

I have a question, if it's okay. When Jesus spoke of 'powers and principalities' would these qualify some of these strongholds being 'powers' and some being 'principalities'.

My understanding is that principalities cover regions such as Jezebel aligning herself with the King for control over a kingdom with her focus being control through religious rebellion.

Any thoughts?

Personally,.. no I don't think these listed are principalities or powers. I feel principalities are fallen angels who have certain powers they associate over big regions, and under those regions demonic beings can be active, which in turn afflict mankind and try to thwart GOD's plans.

That's just my opinion on it going off what I have read in the bible so far.

Upvote 0