Mark Driscoll Calls Out Megachurch over Controversial Sword-Swallowing Performance at Men's Event

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,740,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"I've been up since 1 o'clock in the morning," Driscoll, the senior and founding pastor of Trinity Church in Scottsdale, Arizona, told attendees at the Stronger Men's Conference, which was held April 12 and 13 at the Great Southern Bank Arena in Springfield, Missouri.

"The reason I'm hoarse is I have been praying and my heart is very burdened for you. And I want to be very careful with this and it's not what I want to say, but the Jezebel spirit has already been here."

"The Jezebel Spirit opened our event. This is a rebuke and a correction of no one. This is an observation. Before the word of God was open, there was a platform,” he continued.

“It was a high place. On it was a pole, an Asherah, the same thing that's used in a strip club for women who have the Jezebel spirit to seduce men.

"In front of that was a man, who ripped his shirt off like a woman does in front of a pole at a strip club."

According to Newsweek, Driscoll noted that the man “ascended” the pole before “he swallowed a sword and Jesus cried.”
At that moment, John Lindell, lead pastor of the James River Church in Missouri, who organized the Stronger Men's Conference, can be heard calling Driscoll’s name and saying he was “out of line.”

"Okay, Pastor John, I'll receive that," Driscoll said before going off-stage. "Thank you."
As Lindell went up on stage after Driscoll left, attendees started to boo loudly and many could be heard chanting "bring him back!"

Continued below.

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟34,361.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"I've been up since 1 o'clock in the morning," Driscoll, the senior and founding pastor of Trinity Church in Scottsdale, Arizona, told attendees at the Stronger Men's Conference, which was held April 12 and 13 at the Great Southern Bank Arena in Springfield, Missouri.

"The reason I'm hoarse is I have been praying and my heart is very burdened for you. And I want to be very careful with this and it's not what I want to say, but the Jezebel spirit has already been here."

"The Jezebel Spirit opened our event. This is a rebuke and a correction of no one. This is an observation. Before the word of God was open, there was a platform,” he continued.

“It was a high place. On it was a pole, an Asherah, the same thing that's used in a strip club for women who have the Jezebel spirit to seduce men.

"In front of that was a man, who ripped his shirt off like a woman does in front of a pole at a strip club."

According to Newsweek, Driscoll noted that the man “ascended” the pole before “he swallowed a sword and Jesus cried.”
At that moment, John Lindell, lead pastor of the James River Church in Missouri, who organized the Stronger Men's Conference, can be heard calling Driscoll’s name and saying he was “out of line.”

"Okay, Pastor John, I'll receive that," Driscoll said before going off-stage. "Thank you."
As Lindell went up on stage after Driscoll left, attendees started to boo loudly and many could be heard chanting "bring him back!"

Continued below.
This was a publicity stunt by Driscoll. He has planned this all along and knew full well what was going to happen. And he did not tell anyone he had "difficulties" with it until he got on stage and did his shtick.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟72,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with Mark Driscoll. The sword swallower performer has admitted on Instagram that he is not a born again Christian. The performer says he is an Orthodox Christian who was baptized by an Orthodox Christian church when he was a kid. The performer is also someone who has done his sword swallowing act in homosexual strip clubs. I have not read any evidence that Pastor Mark Driscoll knew before the Stronger Men conference started that this sword swallowing performance was going to happen. However, I do agree with John Lindell when he said that Mark Driscoll should have talked with Lindell in private first before expressing the righteous criticism public at the pulpit.

Reactions: Paul4JC
Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟166,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do agree with John Lindell when he said that Mark Driscoll should have talked with Lindell in private first before expressing the righteous criticism public at the pulpit.
I disagree because it was not done against him alone, individual to individual, then yes he should have talked to him in private. The incident was done in public, so a public rebuke was appropriate.

[Gal 2:14 ESV] 14 But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, "If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟34,361.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I disagree because it was not done against him alone, individual to individual, then yes he would have talked to him in private. The incident was done in public, so a public rebuke was appropriate.

[Gal 2:14 ESV] 14 But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, "If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?"
It was all a show to make Driscoll look like a "holy" person and a "moral" celebrity. He is neither. Are people so forgetful of what he did not even a decade ago?

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟166,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It was all a show to make Driscoll look like a "holy" person and a "moral" celebrity. He is neither. Are people so forgetful of what he did not even a decade ago?
I don't know who he is, but, sadly, people will follow such, instead of just following our Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,740,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟72,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In my opinion, James Lindell should have apologized for inviting the sword swallower.

Upvote 0