Is there a reason Paul leaves us with much freedom?

MJohn7

Dec 23, 2013
✟2,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd rather not speak of that. :p

I probably should of been more clear. I don't think Romans 14 is directly talking to denominationalism or division, but do you think Paul or any other apostles could of ever envisioned different denominations and do you think these writingings allow for such 'growth' in church theology?

If not, it begs the question, should there only be one visible church that mirrors the invisible church of Christ?

Yes. Me. Division really drags me down. All i can do is follow the Lord as i see him commanding. What else is there? Is there any hope without him? Can i not love his words and meditate on them? Can i not follow him in hope? Theology grieves me, Christ strengthens me and his words guide me. I could no more throw out his commands than i could throw out faith and hope in him.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,957.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Is Romans 14 a foreshadow of Christian denominationalism?

that's kinda like saying .. are the 12 tribes with their various manners of relating to the world a forshadowing of the divided kingdom . it doesn't exactly follow .

Did the churches at Corinth, Rome and Galatia have the same opinion on doctrinal matters, such as baptism/communion?
Corinth, Rome, and Galatia had different issues so the teaching may appear different, also the letters may have been written in different time periods . so hard to say exactly .

baptism at one point moved from a corrective of the rabbi formula "in the rabbis name" to "in Jesus name" and then somewhere shifted to the trinitarian formula . Peter also relates so long as you are established in "the present truth" in one of his letters .

Reactions: canisee
Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Edit: not worth it.

Animals that were created unclean by their very nature are still unclean. God still uses that truth to teach us.

Revelation 18:2 And he cried mightily with a loud voice, saying, “Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and has become a dwelling place of demons, a prison for every foul spirit, and a cage for every unclean and hated bird!

Now if you really want to get sideswiped read this.

2 Corinthians 6:17 Therefore “come out from their midst, and be separate,” says the Lord, “and touch no unclean thing, and I will welcome you.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Animals that were created unclean by their very nature are still unclean. God still uses that truth to teach us.

Revelation 18:2 And he cried mightily with a loud voice, saying, “Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and has become a dwelling place of demons, a prison for every foul spirit, and a cage for every unclean and hated bird!

2 Corinthians 6:17 Therefore “come out from their midst, and be separate,” says the Lord, “and touch no unclean thing, and I will welcome you.
Yep lay down your idol(s).

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

If you have been like that all your life then it's possible that its in your genes. Living in USA is also not a good test of an exceptional immune system.

I've been sickly my whole life until I changed to a more Biblical diet, then my immune system became bulletproof in a manner of speaking.

Is that a lack of faith? Or am I actually showing more faith by trusting everything that God says is good? And indeed, it made me far better!:thumbsup:
There are quite a few Christians in the USA with poor health taking a boat load of pills everyday. They depend on medicine to stay breathing (feeling healthy). I will agree with you about my very good fortune of being American. The quantity of poisons in our food supply is bring down the general health of our country.

Happy for your testimony though. Will it cause me to change my diet? Nope!

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

God never said the animals were clean nor did Peter believe God was saying the animals were clean. Listen to how Peter was trying to figure out what God meant.

Acts 10:17 Now while Peter wondered within himself what this vision which he had seen meant, behold, the men who had been sent from Cornelius had made inquiry for Simon’s house, and stood before the gate.

Peter had a hard time accepting Gentiles because he considered them to be unclean. God was telling Peter that Cornelius should not be called common or unclean.

Acts 10:27-29 And as he talked with him, he went in and found many who had come together. Then he said to them, “You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean. Therefore I came without objection as soon as I was sent for. I ask, then, for what reason have you sent for me?”

The vision was not meant to teach Peter that unclean animals are now clean, but rather, Peter should not call a Gentile unclean or common. As a result of Peter's understanding of the vision he did not come to the conclusion that unclean animals are now clean. The fact that Peter had not eaten any unclean animals up until that point in his life tells us that they are still unclean, even though they may be lawful.
Your Bible sure reads differently than mine.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

I'd rather not speak of that. :p

I probably should of been more clear. I don't think Romans 14 is directly talking to denominationalism or division, but do you think Paul or any other apostles could of ever envisioned different denominations and do you think these writingings allow for such 'growth' in church theology?

If not, it begs the question, should there only be one visible church that mirrors the invisible church of Christ?
Ah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

God never said the animals were clean nor did Peter believe God was saying the animals were clean. Listen to how Peter was trying to figure out what God meant.

Acts 10:17 Now while Peter wondered within himself what this vision which he had seen meant, behold, the men who had been sent from Cornelius had made inquiry for Simon’s house, and stood before the gate.

Peter had a hard time accepting Gentiles because he considered them to be unclean. God was telling Peter that Cornelius should not be called common or unclean.

Acts 10:27-29 And as he talked with him, he went in and found many who had come together. Then he said to them, “You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean. Therefore I came without objection as soon as I was sent for. I ask, then, for what reason have you sent for me?”

The vision was not meant to teach Peter that unclean animals are now clean, but rather, Peter should not call a Gentile unclean or common. As a result of Peter's understanding of the vision he did not come to the conclusion that unclean animals are now clean. The fact that Peter had not eaten any unclean animals up until that point in his life tells us that they are still unclean, even though they may be lawful.

but it was the food laws that caused the division, and in gal 2, the antioch event is recorded, it was about the law, peter was eating with gentiles, but then pulled back when the law party came, as per gal 2:14. So the jewish food laws were the only thing that made it unclean, they are now clean, paul says so, BY THE LORD in 14:14...

notice the word the judaizers used, after peter visited cornelius in ACTS 11. What word does it use?

Acts 11:3 “You went to uncircumcised men and ate with them.”

Gal 2 is not about acts 10-11 though, but proves the point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

oh, quoting 2 corinthians 6, where he was speaking about evil people, or food?

look at more about food, and the corinthians..food...Rom 14 was about food, and days, not immorality.

Corinth sold the unclean idol meat, that had blood in it. Paul said eat it.

1 Cor 10:25 Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience.

QUOTING A PSALM HERE, to confirm his point about eating.. QUOTING A PSALM HERE, to confirm his point about eating after he said eat all in the pagan markets of Corinth...

1 Cor 10:26 For "the earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof."

What kind of food would a Corinthian pagan serve? Paul said it eat, other than for their weak conscience, a different issue, but he said eat it, knowing it was idol food.

1 Cor 10:27 If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Just because God created something unclean does not mean it's not good, it's just not good to eat. I'm sure there were many things that couldn't be eaten.

the last word though, in gen 9, if it moves it's lunch. No rules set, it is up to me, if i want a cricket, i eat it, if i want pork, i eat it, that is called freedom, oh, one more from corinthians ferrya..:)

1 Cor 8:8 Food will not commend us to God. We are no worse off if we do not eat, and no better off if we do.

thanks! frog.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 14 is proof that in the text, some verses are indicative, some pertinent, some relative, and some imperative, romans 14 is very pertinent, to their situation, where there was fighting with jew and greek, in the house churches, so pertinent appies to that situation, and the weak people addressed, 14:1, 15:1, the weak, is how one should approach the text knowing the history, and the present situation, and who is addressed.

While talking to an elder, Tim, in 1 Tim 4, there he talks a different language, to a fellow teracher, doctrine of demons, food stuff.

So again, the narrative is filled with diversity, that if read with a proper understanding of the context and history, it is easier to understand.:)

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,210.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There are quite a few Christians in the USA with poor health taking a boat load of pills everyday. They depend on medicine to stay breathing (feeling healthy). I will agree with you about my very good fortune of being American. The quantity of poisons in our food supply is bring down the general health of our country.

Happy for your testimony though. Will it cause me to change my diet? Nope!

It's the same thing across the western nations I think.

I won't ask you to change your diet also. I'm not perfectly on the "Biblical diet" either since I found it annoys my relatives if I switch to mostly vegetarian diet.

If I lived in the forest though, I would be purely vegetarian.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟67,578.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just because God created something unclean does not mean it's not good, it's just not good to eat. I'm sure there were many things that couldn't be eaten.

This is plain supposition. Tell me, where any animals declared "unclean" from Adam to Moses?

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why does every thread involving Paul have some legalist christian pop in here and try to convince every christian that he/she is/or should be some new age ancient Hebrew of the Pentateuch?

People need to read and comprehend the entire New Testament[ at a minimum!] to get the entire picture of our faith instead of nit picking verses to try and fit it into their warped world view.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Why does every thread involving Paul have some legalist christian pop in here and try to convince every christian that he/she is/or should be some new age ancient Hebrew of the Pentateuch?

People need to read and comprehend the entire New Testament[ at a minimum!] to get the entire picture of our faith instead of nit picking verses to try and fit it into their warped world view.
The do what is calledEisegesis
Eisegesis

Upvote 0