• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Im worried all the time about how strict of a Christian I have to be

Claire G

Dec 11, 2016
Wales
✟17,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’ve had agoraphobia since I was 20 I’m 45 now. I don’t go out at all. I have panic, anxiety, ocd, I was diagnosed with Addisons two years ago. I have a bunch of problems with food. A dietitian I managed to get to talk to on the phone thinks I have oral pollen syndrome where my body attacks the pollens in food and have reactions and get ill. There is a small list of things I’ve found that I can eat but this year because of the lack of pollution from Covid outside pollen is affecting me. Since the tree pollen started in the beginning of March all I’ve ate is boiled potatoes and water. I haven’t been able to go out the back garden because the pollen makes me so ill. Most of this year my mind has been in such a dark sad place for a reason I’d not say that most of the time I’ve just cried. Thank you God I’ve felt a lot more like myself this last month and I’ve even been able to drink two kinds of soft drink without getting really ill

I’ve always believed in God and I’ve always been a good person. My dad is a Christian too and he is really strict and hes stopped me from watching and listening to things that I like. He’s not a mean person he just wants me to live like him. Just watching the God channel and listing to Christian music. I’m so scared of watching or listening to the wrong things. If your in this area of the forums you know what it’s like thinking with a anxious mind worried about everything. My life is so limited already. People have a bad day and they sit down with some comfort food or a cup of tea or go for a walk :( I feel guilty listening to music is it bad I feel guilty watching tv and films are they wrong even kids cartoon films I worry about. I get up I eat potatoes every two hours to have strength I play games on my iPad go to bed do the same the next day.

there is a American programme about a Christian family who are really strict. They won’t even dance not even stepping side to side they think everything is evil. Then the other end of the scale is a pastor who when asked about reality stars having sex on tv she said it was ok that God give us our bodies to have fun and enjoy and have pleasure with. No sex before marriage. So I’m somewhere in the middle floating around not knowing what I can do. Sometimes I feel like I’m going mad and I watch and listen to a bunch of stuff because I feel like I’m going to crack up if I don’t have some enjoyment. Then I have anxiety thinking I’ve done wrong by God. It’s not God making me feel bad it’s people making me feel bad. Because weather you don’t dance cos it’s evil or you’re a pastor that’s ok with sex before marriage on tv in front of everyone they all think their level of strictness is right. Unless you’re me too scared to read the bible because I’m scared what I’ll read because I can’t give up one more thing :( I’m sorry this was so long. If you answer please don’t give details about anxiety attacks it makes me anxious sorry

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟171,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I’ve had agoraphobia since I was 20 I’m 45 now. I don’t go out at all. I have panic, anxiety, ocd, I was diagnosed with Addisons two years ago. I have a bunch of problems with food. A dietitian I managed to get to talk to on the phone thinks I have oral pollen syndrome where my body attacks the pollens in food and have reactions and get ill. There is a small list of things I’ve found that I can eat but this year because of the lack of pollution from Covid outside pollen is affecting me. Since the tree pollen started in the beginning of March all I’ve ate is boiled potatoes and water. I haven’t been able to go out the back garden because the pollen makes me so ill. Most of this year my mind has been in such a dark sad place for a reason I’d not say that most of the time I’ve just cried. Thank you God I’ve felt a lot more like myself this last month and I’ve even been able to drink two kinds of soft drink without getting really ill

I’ve always believed in God and I’ve always been a good person. My dad is a Christian too and he is really strict and hes stopped me from watching and listening to things that I like. He’s not a mean person he just wants me to live like him. Just watching the God channel and listing to Christian music. I’m so scared of watching or listening to the wrong things. If your in this area of the forums you know what it’s like thinking with a anxious mind worried about everything. My life is so limited already. People have a bad day and they sit down with some comfort food or a cup of tea or go for a walk :( I feel guilty listening to music is it bad I feel guilty watching tv and films are they wrong even kids cartoon films I worry about. I get up I eat potatoes every two hours to have strength I play games on my iPad go to bed do the same the next day.

there is a American programme about a Christian family who are really strict. They won’t even dance not even stepping side to side they think everything is evil. Then the other end of the scale is a pastor who when asked about reality stars having sex on tv she said it was ok that God give us our bodies to have fun and enjoy and have pleasure with. No sex before marriage. So I’m somewhere in the middle floating around not knowing what I can do. Sometimes I feel like I’m going mad and I watch and listen to a bunch of stuff because I feel like I’m going to crack up if I don’t have some enjoyment. Then I have anxiety thinking I’ve done wrong by God. It’s not God making me feel bad it’s people making me feel bad. Because weather you don’t dance cos it’s evil or you’re a pastor that’s ok with sex before marriage on tv in front of everyone they all think their level of strictness is right. Unless you’re me too scared to read the bible because I’m scared what I’ll read because I can’t give up one more thing :( I’m sorry this was so long. If you answer please don’t give details about anxiety attacks it makes me anxious sorry
Sounds like scrupulosity.

These articles might help:
THE MOST DIFFICULT FORGIVENESS OF ALL - The Greek Orthodox Church Of Saint George

philorthodox: Confession and Scrupulosity

Anxiety and Our Life in Christ - Health & Wellness Articles - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Scrupulosity: The Ultimate Guide (Updated 2020)

Scrupulosity Quiz: Diagnose Chronic Spiritual Anxiety - Scrupulosity.com

God bless

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟974,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

It is strange how we call ourselves Christian yet we live as if the whole weight of the world is on our shoulders. Lord Jesus says, "Come to me all who are heavy laden and I will give you rest." The Christian life is both impossible and the easiest thing ever. It's impossible for us. Who can be like God? However, it is not up to us. It is the Lord Jesus who lives in us to cause us to be the people that we ought to be.

A missionary saw a tribe in Africa struggling to get around in ox and cart transport. His team purchased a 4 x 4 vehicle with all the attachments. The tribe was much impressed with the aircon, media player, rear vision camera and such.

The missionary came back a year later to check up on the tribe. He was horrified to see a team of people pushing the vehicle around. It was even harder work than the ox and cart. Eventually he realised the problem. They had this wonderful new vehicle, but no one knew how to drive.

As Christians, we need to learn how to enjoy the wonderful new life that is ours in Christ. Too many are like the tribesmen. In Christ, we have everything we need. But it becomes harder if all we see are a new set of harder rules to follow. We take on the weight when the Lord Jesus says to put our burden on Him. We have to choose this to happen. We tell God that we can't live the Christians life. He will say something like, "Great. I've been waiting for you to realise this". Then we need to ask Lord Jesus to live in place of us. He will.

I can promise you from my own experience as well as God's word. I spent way too long struggling to be a good Christian. Eventually I quit. It was the best day of my life after being born again. When I was saved, my burden of sin was lifted. When I saw Lord Jesus as my life, the burden of me was lifted.

The Bible say that it is no longer I that lives, but Christ that lives in me. That needs to be our declaration also. It's easy to speak the words. It needs to be reality in our heart, not just a nice thought. If we seek God, He will reveal these things to us. We will still have problems and challenges. But it is not our problem. It is God's!

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟974,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don’t go out
You might contact them, locally, to see if they will come pray with you at your home. (You will need to make in-person connections in some fashion, if you want this to change.)

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

How strict of a christian do you have to be, to do what.
If you are asking how strict of a christian you have to be to go to heaven.

The answer is not about how strict your are, but who are you trusting in. To receive God's free gift of Eternal Life (salvation) all a person has to do is believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Old Testament (Tanakh) and trust in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life. Then any one who does this has Eernal Life never to lose it.

As for a believer how strict do they need to be to live a life like Jesus. Well then Jesus has set a high standard, but we just have to try our best to do the best we can. But locking yourself in a room will not accomplish that, Jesus was out and about living among sinners. We are call to not be conformed to the world, not to remove ourselves from the world.

A great site for learning about God, Jesus, Eternal Life, the christian life, etc..
Grace Evangelical Society

Upvote 0

namohcam

Dec 11, 2020
Northeast
✟6,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private

A lot of people are suffering things that didn't exist 50 years ago. Sometimes it helps to know that you're not alone. My story is somewhat similar to yours. You sound like you could use some natural ant-inflammatory agents. Try pineapple if you can take it. You might also find these helpful:

9 Bible Promises for When You're Feeling Lonely | News | Amazing Facts

9 Bible Verses to Help When You’re Struggling with Guilt | News | Amazing Facts

Upvote 0

Claire G

Dec 11, 2016
Wales
✟17,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is strange how we call ourselves Christian yet we live as if the whole weight of the world is on our shoulders. Lord Jesus says, "Come to me all who are heavy laden and I will give you rest." The Christian life is both impossible and the easiest thing ever. It's impossible for us. Who can be like God? However, it is not up to us. It is the Lord Jesus who lives in us to cause us to be the people that we ought to be.

A missionary saw a tribe in Africa struggling to get around in ox and cart transport. His team purchased a 4 x 4 vehicle with all the attachments. The tribe was much impressed with the aircon, media player, rear vision camera and such.

The missionary came back a year later to check up on the tribe. He was horrified to see a team of people pushing the vehicle around. It was even harder work than the ox and cart. Eventually he realised the problem. They had this wonderful new vehicle, but no one knew how to drive.

As Christians, we need to learn how to enjoy the wonderful new life that is ours in Christ. Too many are like the tribesmen. In Christ, we have everything we need. But it becomes harder if all we see are a new set of harder rules to follow. We take on the weight when the Lord Jesus says to put our burden on Him. We have to choose this to happen. We tell God that we can't live the Christians life. He will say something like, "Great. I've been waiting for you to realise this". Then we need to ask Lord Jesus to live in place of us. He will.

I can promise you from my own experience as well as God's word. I spent way too long struggling to be a good Christian. Eventually I quit. It was the best day of my life after being born again. When I was saved, my burden of sin was lifted. When I saw Lord Jesus as my life, the burden of me was lifted.

The Bible say that it is no longer I that lives, but Christ that lives in me. That needs to be our declaration also. It's easy to speak the words. It needs to be reality in our heart, not just a nice thought. If we seek God, He will reveal these things to us. We will still have problems and challenges. But it is not our problem. It is God's!
Thank you :) I hope that I can not worry and just enjoy it. I screenshot what you said :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Claire G

Dec 11, 2016
Wales
✟17,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You might contact them, locally, to see if they will come pray with you at your home. (You will need to make in-person connections in some fashion, if you want this to change.)
Thank you for caring :)

Upvote 0

Claire G

Dec 11, 2016
Wales
✟17,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How strict of a christian do you have to be, to do what.
If you are asking how strict of a christian you have to be to go to heaven.

The answer is not about how strict your are, but who are you trusting in. To receive God's free gift of Eternal Life (salvation) all a person has to do is believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Old Testament (Tanakh) and trust in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life. Then any one who does this has Eernal Life never to lose it.

As for a believer how strict do they need to be to live a life like Jesus. Well then Jesus has set a high standard, but we just have to try our best to do the best we can. But locking yourself in a room will not accomplish that, Jesus was out and about living among sinners. We are call to not be conformed to the world, not to remove ourselves from the world.

A great site for learning about God, Jesus, Eternal Life, the christian life, etc..
Grace Evangelical Society
Thank you :)

Upvote 0

Claire G

Dec 11, 2016
Wales
✟17,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of people are suffering things that didn't exist 50 years ago. Sometimes it helps to know that you're not alone. My story is somewhat similar to yours. You sound like you could use some natural ant-inflammatory agents. Try pineapple if you can take it. You might also find these helpful:

9 Bible Promises for When You're Feeling Lonely | News | Amazing Facts

9 Bible Verses to Help When You’re Struggling with Guilt | News | Amazing Facts
I’m allergic to pineapple. Send me a message if you want to talk :)

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟312,421.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus came to set us free of the burdens man imposes upon other man, including within Christianity.

Look to the Parable of the Sower and what happens when man takes it upon themselves to determine how the pure seed sown should grow. The seed fails to grow as God intended. Free yourself of the oppression and burdens imposed by man and blossom as God intended. His will be done (not man's).

Upvote 0

Will Joseph

Jul 10, 2020
Bronx
✟26,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I hope your doctor narrows down your phobia or food issue. I really hope that it's psychological because you might not be able to live long or fully if your diet is limited. You can ask your doctor about taking vitamins and nutrients through pills and supplements, but eating food is somewhat important so the pills should only be taken if your fear of food is more than psychological.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you :) I hope that I can not worry and just enjoy it. I screenshot what you said :)
Great idea! Print it out and stick it on your fridge door. I remind myself often of these truths. It's a bit like flying. You have to keep the engine running or the plane will descend. Truth is like the fuel that the engine needs. Truth is truth no matter how you are feeling. Put your faith in facts, not how you feel. Your feelings will catch up sooner or later. Just persist.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟745,669.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes I feel like I’m going mad and I watch and listen to a bunch of stuff because I feel like I’m going to crack up if I don’t have some enjoyment.

God is not against us, he would have us enjoy life. The scripture below speaks of your situation, there is a kind of righteousness that destroys our life, your father is not wrong to meditate upon the bible or Christain things, but each of us needs to walk our own walk. If we are stressed by the amount of "religion" we are ingesting, we need to do the things we enjoy, while not neglecting the religious life too.

Ecc 7:16-18 Be not given overmuch to righteousness and be not over-wise. Why let destruction come on you? Be not evil overmuch, and be not foolish. Why come to your end before your time? It is good to take this in your hand and not to keep your hand from that; he who has the fear of God will be free of the two.
In case that scripture was hard to understand, it says "There is a kind of righteousness, that destroys our life, it causes us grief". We are encouraged to not take that road, but rather the middle pathway.

The verse is not an encouragement to sin, no, but rather to let us know that things like entertainment are not wrong, if we can keep a balance.

You will find when you can see God as not a religious God, but as a thoughtful, and balanced God, you will find it easier to read the bible and pray. God does not want us afraid, for "the joy of the LORD shall be your strength".

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2021
Adelaide
✟15,928.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read the book of Romans. All of it in one sitting. Your issue is dealt with quite conclusively there. If you are anxious, take it to the Lord in prayer and believe that He will help you. If you don't understand something, *ask Him*. I know extreme anxiety. It is a fight, but it is not an impossible foe to defeat.

Upvote 0

Hezekiah81

Christ died for me so I died for him
Aug 18, 2021
Texas
✟7,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

(1 John 5:3) For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. [God's ways are not oppressive they're for your good and you should delight in them not be worried your going against them, as for what you do for enjoyment you discern in your heart if it is of God, as for your anxiety there is power in prayer focus on God and cast your cares upon him for he cares for you. God bless you.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Beloved one,
Have you heard this:

“Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way. The Lord be with you all.”
‭‭II Thessalonians‬ ‭3:16‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Beloved one, why not pray and ask the Lord of peace who is Jesus Christ Himself to give you peace always in every way.

Beloved one, why not ask your father to read the Bible for you and ask for all the words that Christ have spoken that can bring peace to you.

Then treasure the words that Christ have spoken in your heart and mind that bring peace. And bring what Christ have spoken to you in prayer. Yes, remind Jesus what He has promised and believe that you will receive the peace that He promised.

May God’s peace be with you always. Amen.

Upvote 0