United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The transcendentals are nothing less than a glorious trinity of trinities

Many months ago I wrote an article entitled “The Mysteries of Atheism” in which I highlighted the mysterious trinity which all atheists acknowledge albeit without knowing it, or, to be precise, the two trinities that they unknowingly acknowledge, namely the trinity of space and the trinity of time. I pointed out that the wholeness or unity of space consisted of three inseparable and consubstantial dimensions (length, breadth and depth), and the wholeness or unity of time also consisted of three inseparable and consubstantial dimensions (past, present and future). These trinities are as mysterious as the Holy Trinity insofar as the oneness or unity is inseparable from the triune “threeness.”

For Christians, who acknowledge a Trinitarian God and believe with Gerard Manley Hopkins that the world is charged with his grandeur, there is little surprise that the physical fabric of the cosmos is made in his Trinitarian image. We can see the trinity of space and the trinity of time as what might be called God’s fingerprints on his handiwork. For the atheist, however, who refuses to accept the existence of God and who is accustomed to ridiculing Christians for their belief in an “irrational” Trinity, the triune nature of the universe is much more problematic.

So much for the quandary that atheists face in the light of the trinity of physics. More recently, after having a good and healthy conversation with a Muslim on a flight home from a speaking engagement, I was struck by a similar quandary that those who follow Islam must face, not so much in the light of the trinity of physics, though this should certainly give them pause for thought, but in the trinity of metaphysics.

Continued below.