✟17,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Grilled Portobella Mushroom Fajitas:

(I am no good at measuring stuff so you will have to figure out how much of the ingredients you will need)

In a cup mix 1/3 lime juice ,1/3 worchestershire sauce and 1/3 balsamic vinegar - add a little freshly ground pepper. This will be your glaze. Practice will tell you how much to make.

In a large - well seasoned - cast iorn skillet begin by slowly carmelizing lots of sliced onion on a moderate heat with a healthy pinch of salt (the salt pulls the water out and helps the carmelization process). If you try to rush it the onions will burn because you have no oil. When the onions have reduced and are browning glaze with small amounts of the glaze, allowing the glaze to evaporate and reduce befoe you add more.
While you are cooking the onions start grilling some large portobella mushooms starting gills side up. Spoon a little of the glaze onto the fins (just don't go overboard) and salt/pepper them. You will only turn them once.
When the onions are a nice deep brown and glazed nicely - add lots of sliced poblano pepper (or bell pepper if you can not find the poblano) and cook them until they start to turn a brighter green. When they change color it is time to add chopped tomato.

Garnish with some chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Slice the portobellas into nice thick strips and serve with lard free tortillas and maybe some soy cheese. (Or serve over some wild rice maybe?)

(on non fast days you can make this with grilled pork tenderloin and ribeye steak with some nice queso fresca cheese)

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟23,269.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta said:
This isn't really much of a recipe, but it's a lenten snack idea I just tried, and it is quite tasty:

Take a rice cake, slather some peanut butter on it, then squirt some chocolate syrup on it (the chocolate syrup I have is just on off-brand, but I imagine it's the same thing as Hershey's syrup in a can---and it contains no dairy that I can tell). It's great to satisfy a sweet tooth, and it's crunchy, too.:yum:

Note: My priest teaches that NO oils are to be used during a fast. This includes regular cooking oil, as well as olive oil. I understand this varies by tradition. Does anyone else attend a parish/jurisdiction that teaches this?

I do! :clap:

Do I get a prize now?

Upvote 0

Prawnik

Pit Bull Terrier
Nov 1, 2004
✟17,275.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In honor of the upcoming Nativity Fast, I have been working hard to recreate the teriyaki mushrooms from the US. They are quite easy.

Take fresh, well-cleaned champignon mushrooms, the ordinary kind from a grocery store. I prefer to leave them shole, but you can cut them into big pieces if you want. Place mushrooms in a jar. Add teriyaki sauce until the mushrooms are covered. Cap and place in the fridge.

Let sit at least four days. I am discovering that the long the 'shrooms sit, the better they taste. Open jar and chow down!

Thank you, please drive through to the second window.

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A spectacular dessert for those with a deft(er) hand at baking:

Open hazelnut/strawberry tart

Knead a pie dough with vegetable shortening (margarine) and replacing 1/3 of the flour with ground hazelnuts.

Roll out and line a shallow pie dish. Bake. (Use the old trick: put a layer of dry beans on top so the pastry doesn't puff up.)

Just before serving (or taking to the Church potluck...), spread with raspberry jam and arrange strawberries on top. Make a circle of piped whipped cream (non-dairy if necessary) around the edge (optional... tastes and looks almost as good without it.)

Upvote 0
K

KATHXOYMENOC

Assuming soy milk is permissible for Lent (and I don't think there would be a problem with it; it's just water, whole soybeans, sugar, and added calcium and vitamins), that solves any problem with what to put on cereal, or whatever you use milk for - smoothies, coffee, maybe even baking (get the unsweetened for things like mashed potatoes, though). It tastes as good as milk (better, in my opinion), and you may never go back to cow's milk for cereal again! Lowfat, plain, vanilla, chocolate - even an "egg(less)" nog that is only 90 calories a serving (just 20 calories from fat). Several brands, too, about $2.75 a half gallon at Wal-Mart for Silk brand (i.e., a little less than organic cow's milk).

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,310,756.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Risotto - as near the real thing as you can get

Arborio Rice - roughly 125 grm for 2 people.
Chopped colourful veggies - mushrooms peppers Salad onions [ AKA spring onions or Syboes ] Red onions

Hot strong Veggie Stock [ broth]

OK Method

sweat onions in a saucepan - and add dry rice and gently cook stirring till rice is transparent

Add hot [ boiling ] veggie stock - about 1 ladlefull and gently simmer till all liquid absorbed . Repeat adding stock process till rice is just 'al dente'

Add all chopped veggies so that they then heat through but are still crunchy

then serve on heated plates.

In non fast periods use 1 wine glass of white wine after first stage - [ cooking onions and rice till transparent ] - it should hiss like mad and be absorbed in seconds .

Then add Chicken stock [ as in the fasting method ]and add a few interesting veggies [ whatever takes your fancy ] and cooked chicken cut into very fine strips or small pieces.

Serve then with Parmesan Cheese

Upvote 0

autumngirl

Sep 14, 2005
✟15,358.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Katherine_van_Orvelte

Feb 23, 2006
✟15,383.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
There's also a new book out called "When you Fast" by SVS Press. It's a completely Lenten cookbook! I got it for this Lent and started paging through it, and it looks really good. Lots of recipes, and she includes recipes for all levels of fasting, in other words it includes some fish and oil recipes.

I'm so happy I can eat more than spaggheti this Lent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
*Puts on best Billy Bob Thornton/Carl Childers voice*

I like them french fried pataters. *grunt*

Reckon you'd make me some biscuits? I like mustard 'n' biscuits.

Coffee makes me a might nervous when I drank it. [/slingblade]

Sorry, had to do it.

My personal favorite is plain old potato soup or potato dumplin's

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟64,453.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I thought I would have to give up a lot of food for Lent but it really has just opened a whole new world of other foods.

I really hate the western philosophy on food.
"Food should be quick, filling and contain loads of random ingredients" :sigh:

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Butter: Try brands such as Earth Balance® Natural Buttery Spread (nonhydrogenated and GMO-free). Sauté foods in water, wine, vegetable broth. Use lemon as a dressing.
Buttermilk - Curdled soy milk (1 c soy milk + 2 T lemon juice or white vinegar).

Chicken or Beef Stock - Vegetable stock, garlic broth, water with soy sauce (1-2 Tbsp. soy sauce per cup liquid).

Chocolate/Milk Chocolate - Carob.
Cottage Cheese/Ricotta Cheese - Crumbled tofu.

Eggs: Use commercial egg replacers (made mainly from potato starch) in baked goods. Ener-G Egg Replacer is ideal for baking and can be used in any recipe that calls for eggs as a binding agent. Eggs can also be replaced with the following (each quantity is equivalent to 1 egg):
• 1 banana - for cake recipes
• 2 Tbsp. silken tofu
• 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
• 2 Tbsp. potato starch
• 2 Tbsp. soy milk powder & 2 Tbsp. water
• 1/4 c apple sauce & 1/2 Tsp. baking powder.
• 1/4 c pureed banana or other fruit & 1/2 Tsp. baking powder.

Worchestershire sauce: This has fish in it to substitute this use "Kitchen bouquet: Browning Sauce" which is totally vegan.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.