Oct 18, 2004
Elsewhere
✟10,038.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
countrymouse33ad said:
Vasya, you cook the way my mom and all my aunts do. You put in some of this, lots of that...

But it sounds yummy. :)
It is yummy! :yum:

As for how I cook? Well, I used to watch my mom cook - hung out in anticipation of goodies.

My mom never made the same meal twice. Even if she was using a recipe, she would improvise. And it always turned out alright.

On the other hand, my dad could burn water.

So I never learned the gentle art of the recipe book. I cook by taste, texture, and colour. Who needs measurements? :p

Upvote 0

CopticGirl

Feb 25, 2005
✟1,398.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Bean recipe:

one can 16oz of red kidney or black beans, drained
one chopped onion
3 cloves of garlic crushed
olive oil
one can 16oz of stewed tomatoes
one can 16oz of tomato sauce
chopped celery
Crushed red pepper
Salt
Parsley

Heat olive oil and add chopped onion, cook until softened, add garlic and celery and cook for another few minutes.

Add remaining ingredients. You can add more or less crushed red pepper depending upoon taste, but in general this dish taste better spicy.

Cook on low until thoroughly heated. With tomatoe sauces, the longer you let them simmer the more flavor they will have.

Serve over hot white rice. (Serving over pasta would probably work as well)

Enjoy!

God Bless.

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2004
✟1,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Vasya Davidovich said:
I like applesauce on Cheerios.

My kids love cooked Grapenuts cereal with applesauce, or granola over applesauce.

Cooked Grapenuts:

Add water to cereal, just enough to cover.

Microwave about 1 min or more...til water is fully absorbed.

Add applesauce and sprinkle with cinnamon.

My boys love it. :thumbsup:

On the other hand, I have never tasted it. Had a bad experience with a big bowl of Grapenuts as a child. :sick:

Upvote 0

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Pie-baking apron-clad hausfrau :D
Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Choco-Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups white sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/2 cup of rice milk or soy milk (or any other milk substitute)
1/2 cup margerine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups quick cooking oats

Directions
1. In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine the sugar, cocoa, milk substitute, and margerine. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for about 1 min., then remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, salt, peanut butter, and oats.
2. Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper. Allow cookies to cool for about an hour (cookies will become firm as they cool). Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Momzilla

Gettin' that old time religion!
Feb 12, 2004
Greenville, SC
✟16,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here are a few from my recipe files...

Shrimp in Ginger-Wasabi Sauce

½ pound uncooked shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 Tb. wasabi powder
½ cup water
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 Tb. grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup light soy sauce
2½ Tb. honey

Combine all ingredients except honey. Marinate shrimp in about half of the sauce for an hour or so. Grill or saute shrimp, adding some sauce during cooking. Serve shrimp over rice, with extra sauce (not the part used for marinating!) on the side.

Ann’s Shrimp Etoufee

1/4 cup butter, margarine, or oil (butter is best, but of course not lenten)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium stalks celery, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
crushed red pepper to taste (1/4 tsp. is a good start)
1½ Tb. flour
1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped (cooked is okay)
½ cup sliced mushrooms
Water as needed
Salt & pepper to taste

Saute the onion and celery in butter over low heat until cooked down, 30-45 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper, and cook about 2 minutes. Add flour and cook briefly, but do not brown. Add shrimp and cook, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to give off their liquid. Add enough water (at least 1 cup) to give the etoufee a gravy-like texture, as thick or thin as you like it. Season to taste and serve over rice.

This next one takes quite a bit of time, but it's not labor intensive so you can be doing other things. It is suitable for company, and would be an excellent side dish with salmon on a fish day. The caramelized onion gives the dish a wonderful, earthy sweetness. Mmmmm.

Barley and Bow Ties with Caramelized Onions

1 large onion, sliced thickly
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 Tb. sugar
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup pearled barley
2½ cups vegetable broth (mushroom broth is excellent)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup uncooked bowtie pasta

Heat the oil in a large skillet, then add the onions and the sugar. Saute the onions over low heat (I set mine at “2.6" on a scale of 1 to 10), stirring occasionally, until they are a uniform dark brown color. Add the mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms begin to give off their liquid (about 3-5 minutes). Add the barley and saute for about 5 minutes, until the barley is toasted. Add the broth and bring to a boil (if your broth is not adequately salted, add salt now). Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the barley is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. While the barley is simmering, cook the pasta according to package directions. When the barley is tender, stir in the pasta and serve.

This is excellent with fresh spinach sauteed in garlic and oil, seasoned with salt and pepper.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
CotpicGirl said:
Any good recipes for lenten desserts? My niece's birthday is in 2 days and I want to make her a cake if possible.

God Bless.

Look for recipes for something called "Pharisee Cake", which is Lenten cake.

Upvote 0

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Pie-baking apron-clad hausfrau :D
Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
trans.gif
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0][font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+2]Lentil Soup[/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0]Hearty lentil soup, chock full of veggies and very yummy.
Makes 6 servings. [/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0][font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0][/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0][font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0]1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil*
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried basil
[/size][/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sanserif][size=+0]1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 cups dry lentils
8 cups water
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
[/size][/font]
Directions
1 In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add
onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender.
Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.

2 Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a
boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour.

*Olive oil could be replaced with another cooking oil of your choice.[/size][/font][/size][/font]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stringaling

Stringaling
May 27, 2004
Oklahoma
✟1,846.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here's the apple cake recipe!

3-4 small apples peeles and diced
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp allpe pie spice
1 cup pecans, walnuts, or rasina
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup salad oil
1 tsp vanilla

Cover apples with sugar. Let stand 20 minutes or until it makes a juice. Sift dry ingredients; add salad oil and nuts or rasins. Blend in the apples. Pour into an 8X10 inch greased baking dish (I use 9-inch round) and bake 50 minutes in 325 degree oven. Cool completely. I usually pour a powdered sugar glaze over the top for extra tastiness!

Upvote 0

Lotar

Swift Eagle Justice
Feb 27, 2003
Southern California
✟19,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lentil Soup

1.) Get out your pot and toss about 1/2 cup of lentils in it.

2.) Throw in about 1-3 cups of water.

3.) Have Salsa? Toss in a teaspoon worth.

4.) Have carrots, potatos, corn...um... carrots, or whatever? Chop that stuff up and dump it in.

5.) Got chopped garlic? Yes: Toss in a couple teaspoons worth. No: Use Garlic Salt instead (if you don't have any, get some, it's totally sweet on popcorn)

6.) Toss in some pepper and salt (Hint: no salt if you used Garlic salt).

7.) Have any cool spices like Basil? Throw some of that stuff in. Spike is pretty good too.

8.) Now for the secret ingredient: Katsup. Squirt in a swirl.

9.) Stir it all up, then crank the stove up as high as it will go.

10.) Once it starts boiling, turn it down and let it simmer for 30-40 min.

11.) Starting to dry out? Add some more water. To watery? Leave the lid off.

12.) Doesn't taste that great? Add Katsup.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CopticGirl

Feb 25, 2005
✟1,398.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yummy Roasted Potatoes

Red Bliss potatoes chopped up in bit size pieces
Olive Oil
Paprika
Garlic Powder
Salt
Black Pepper

Just mix this all together--use a lot of paprika, that is what the main flavor is, and just enough olive oil to coat the potatoes. The rest of the spices you can vary according to taste. Bake at about 450 degrees for about 15 minutes--varying with size of potatoe pieces.

Upvote 0

psalm94:17

Sep 16, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
✟375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Lotar said:
Lentil Soup

1.) Get out your pot and toss about 1/2 cup of lentils in it.

2.) Throw in about 1-3 cups of water.

3.) Have Salsa? Toss in a teaspoon worth.

Thanks Lotar! I actually CAN cook but this sounds realllllly good! I call dishes like this cupboard velcro, cuz almost anything you gots in the cupboards sticks! Can't wait to try it!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A THREAD ONLY FOR RECIPES - NOTHING MORE

I would like to start a thread where we can just post fasting recipes only - and not debate why or how we fast ....

Remember that the Fast of the Theotokos begins in less than 3 weeks.
We fast from August 1 through August 15, breaking the fast after the Divine Liturgy on August 15, the Feast of the Holy Dormition (falling asleep) of the Theotokos.

ARTICHOKE HEARTS served with hummus and rice cakes.
Pineapple slices for dessert.

If you have never cooked chokes before. Take at least 4 artichokes, quickly soak them in vegetable soap to clean off strange residues (insects, sand, bird droppings, etc.), then thoroughly rinse letting water flow into the head of the thistle as you hold it vertically under the flow of the water. Next slice off the first inch of the top of the thistle, and cut off the stem so that only 1/4 inch of the stem remains. Steam or boil standing them upright in a pan until the leaves peal off effortlessly. I would allow about 30 to 45 minutes depending on your altitude.

After it is cooked, place on a rack upside down so that the hot water drains and let them cool a little.

Serve 1 to 2 artichokes per person along with one tablespoon or more of hummus. Try hummus on the rice cakes - delicious.

You can eat them hot or cold (take them for your lunch). Pull off each leaf and dip the fleshy part of the leaves into the hummus, scraping off the fleshy part with your teeth. I carefully separate the thin hair like fibers from the heart, then I enjoy the artichoke heart smothered in the hummus.

p.s. This may be too messy for kids at school, but I enjoy it for my college lunch and my colleagues are impressed.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever tried Trader Joes ORGANIC BAKED TOFU (Teriyaki style)?
It is so delicious choped up and placed on a salad.

Here is another fasting recipes that you can take to work or college for lunch, or enjoy at home in the evening when you want something light:

BAKED TOFU SALAD WITH AVOCADO

Obtain a personal-sized plastic container available from the stores or from your local Tupperware distributor.

Place some freshly washed lettuce on the bottom, then choose your favorite vegetables (or fruits as tomatoes, bell peppers and avocados are really fruit):

carrots
bell peppers
tomatoes
olives
onions
jicama
celery
radishes

Seal and put a washed avocado wrapped in a paper towel into a plastic bag.

Be sure to pack a plastic knife, spoon, fork and several napkins.

In a separate plastic bag, place some of the chopped Trader Joes ORGANIC BAKED TOFU.

Bring some rice cakes (available from your local health food store or Trader Joes).

Pack some fresh fruit such as cherries or a nectarine for dessert.

And don't forget a bottle of your favorite salad dressing or just use a lemon to add zest to the salad.

When it is lunch time, add the chopped tofu to the salad, and cut and dish out the avocado into that same salad and/or spread some of the avocado on the rice cakes.

Don't forget to pray first before eating.

Bon Appetite. :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.